• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
After seeing so much bull**** in twitter and reaction streams and stuff like that, I came into this thread expecting a huge ****storm but you guys are actually taking this pretty well.

Congratulations on the Mii Costume. Obviously it's not what you all wanted, but I hope it's still a fun addition at the end of the day. Gotta say, it looks pretty cute and it actually fits the Mii proportions pretty well. Mii Costumes feel strangely satisfying when they're actually done right, so I might just end up buying it at some point, haha.
Well, it’s mostly because of the platform. Twitter incentivizes negativity because it gets people to interact with your post and reply to it, which promotes it more in Twitter’s algorithm. You want that sweet sweet clout, you act like a baby and you get it.

Truth is, every Mii fighter costume isn’t Sakurai and the team going “Haha, your character isn’t worth being in MY game!” like Twitter or your average stream reaction channel would have you believe, it’s Sakurai going “We only had 11 spots, but here’s 40 or so more characters that we wanted to include in some way”. And a music track as well, just helps cement her even more in the ultimate crossover 👍

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well, everyone... surprise, it's me again! After a little over 2 years of an absence, I've come back temporarily due to the recent events of this presentation! To be honest, I was very pleasantly surprised when Shantae appeared during the Mii Costume section as it was the last thing I think anyone including myself was expecting. Heck, I didn't even initially realize she was coming with a song up until Sakurai himself making it clear; the song choice in Burning Town is great as its basically the most iconic song of the series, so I think it made the most sense and was a fine choice!

Either way, I get it being disappointing that she didn't get in as a character this time around, but the fact she got the second best thing in a pretty good looking Mii Costume with a music track shows that she actually made quite the impact in terms of her demand. Heck, Sakurai himself outright said many people wanted her, so all your requests did not actually go to waste in the end. In fact, I would not be surprised if she's a serious contender for the next Smash game, so I encourage you all to keep rooting for her even after Smash Ultimate DLC comes to a close!

To conclude, I want to apologize for my disappearance these last few years with this also extending to the supporter list as well. Actually, as of recently, I've contemplated handing over the reins to someone else at this point; it would likely be the best path forward as I do not wish to keep this thread locked up in the future when I do go back to being offline. I'll let you all know if I decide to go through with that decision, but for now, I feel this is a day worth celebrating ever since that day back in 2018 when we thought she'd only get a Spirit... how things have changed since then, huh?

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
At first I was like

Then I'm like

If Krool can get a costume and be playable next game....!

EVERYONE BUY THIS MII

#Shantae4Smash6

Last edited:

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
I already told myself that Shantae probably wasn't going to be a fighter, so this is a pleasant surprise. I'm just happy she's getting as much love as she is.

I'll be hoping for her in the future though, whenever that may be. Hopefully people here will buy her Mii to support her!

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
You know what? I actually predicted that Shantae was going to be revealed as a Mii Brawler costume today. And while it kinda stings, I actually think she looks really good as a Mii costume 😍 And I'm so happy that she's coming with a Neo Burning Town bonus song! I was hoping that might happen if Shantae wound up getting Mii'd, like Sans and Cuphead did, and lo and behold, that's exactly what happened! This was easily the best case scenario as far as I'm concerned! I think I've finally found a new Mii Brawler to play as besides myself in the game 😊 I can't wait until tomorrow!

As the presentation itself, I loved it! Definitely one of my favorite presentations alongside Banjo & Kazooie, Sephiroth, Byleth and Pyra/Mythra! Kazuya looks awesome, and I can't wait to listen to all of my favorite Tekken jams in Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
At first I was like

Then I'm like

If Krool can get a costume and be playable next game....!

EVERYONE BUY THIS MII

#Shantae4Smash6
First, what's the song in that second video?

Second, I'm buying the costume by virtue of it coming with a song, and considering there are plenty of people who are like me in that regard, I think that's at least three characters with a good chance of at least being considered for the next game...

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Well, everyone... surprise, it's me again! After a little over 2 years of an absence, I've come back temporarily due to the recent events of this presentation! To be honest, I was very pleasantly surprised when Shantae appeared during the Mii Costume section as it was the last thing I think anyone including myself was expecting. Heck, I didn't even initially realize she was coming with a song up until Sakurai himself making it clear; the song choice in Burning Town is great as its basically the most iconic song of the series, so I think it made the most sense and was a fine choice!

Either way, I get it being disappointing that she didn't get in as a character this time around, but the fact she got the second best thing in a pretty good looking Mii Costume with a music track shows that she actually made quite the impact in terms of her demand. Heck, Sakurai himself outright said many people wanted her, so all your requests did not actually go to waste in the end. In fact, I would not be surprised if she's a serious contender for the next Smash game, so I encourage you all to keep rooting for her even after Smash Ultimate DLC comes to a close!

To conclude, I want to apologize for my disappearance these last few years with this also extending to the supporter list as well. Actually, as of recently, I've contemplated handing over the reins to someone else at this point; it would likely be the best path forward as I do not wish to keep this thread locked up in the future when I do go back to being offline. I'll let you all know if I decide to go through with that decision, but for now, I feel this is a day worth celebrating ever since that day back in 2018 when we thought she'd only get a Spirit... how things have changed since then, huh?
Welcome back! I was wondering if you might poke on here again. I'm back after a similar absence myself, at least for today. Starting to feel like quite the reunion in this thread. Good day to be a Shantae fan, huh?

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Not a Shantae supporter, but I do envy you
At least you got a song and the costume looks pretty good

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
This. Was probably looking at the wrong places. I actually came from just writing an angry letter complaining at salty people in a different thread but I'm glad I decided to check this thread afterwards. Completely changed my outlook to a certain extent.

Feels good to see so many fans looking at the bright side for once. At least when it's something that's kind of only a good thing, even if not the ideal scenario.
It's hard to be angry when you notice all the goodwill Nintendo and Shantae's parent company Wayforward seem to have one another. The former at one point practically tried to namedrop the latter developing a licensed game as a selling point, and even after that turned out to be an embarassment of a product...

Just look at my profile picture. They looked at this dormant franchise of theirs, the style Wayforward's games tend to have, and decided "this is the company that can do these characters justice in this modern age". All this despite Wayforward having no proven track record with strategy games like Advance Wars. While undoubtedly the case for most, it's even easier to see the costume was not done out of malice or negligence, and good company relations can only mean great things for fans of either in the potential future, not even just for Smash.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Oh Boy, Sanstae has appeared.

though shantae wearing San's outfit is pretty nice

And the creeator has returned! And yeah, its crazy how this was made way back in Smash4 days, hoping the ballot got her in, then we got her as a spirit, and now an awesome mii costume. Next step is playable next game, which I feel that with Sakurai reconizing how popular and highly requested these 4 characters are, there is a high chance for that

EDIT; Even japan is celebrating Shantae's Mii status

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
A lot of people have been returning to give their thoughts, and I guess I ought to as well.

I wasn't the most optimistic for Shantae, especially after her spirit, but given the fact that there's only one final fighter remaining (which has a track record of being a promotional rep), I'm glad we were able to at least get the promotion to a Mii. Nintendo's picking the characters (to a degree), but Sakurai still managed to give us something more than a spirit.

And not only a Mii: a Deluxe Mii. There was some stiff competition in this wave, with huge characters in the form of Dante, Lloyd and Dragonborn. Yet, he chose to give us the Deluxe Mii. It's not the Trailer with fanfare and hype from every corner, but we got something that only sans, Cuphead and (if you count him,) Bomberman, got.

Hype if you want to, cry if you need to, but let's continue support even after Ultimate ends, so that Shantae may be Ret-To-Go for real.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Although I would have liked for her to be playable, if she wasn't going to be either way, I'd rather get a Mii with a music track than just a PNG.

We just need to make sure to buy it en masse to show our support to the developers, could help her chances in future games. Since she's a premium, I'm confident it'll do well.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Passing by to leave my condolences and co congratulations. As a Geno fan it can be rough but hey, it's at least something. The Mii Costume alongside the others revealed look great and while I wouldn't necessarily call the Mii Costume a Deluxe, one as that term has kind of caught on the fandom, the concentration it brought certainly constitutes of one with that song added with it. That I didn't expect

And plus, Sakurai mentioned that she along with Dovahkiin, Dante and Lloyd were highly requested so they're in the radar at this point. Maybe one day but now? I'll consider this a win for you.

Props Shantae fans and stay strong. One day I'm sure we'll see the Genie in battling it out with the other Nintendo icons like Mario, Link, or Pikachu.

:bowser:.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Now I'm really hoping we get a Shovel Knight Mii Swordfighter next round. How amazing would it be to have Indie icons like Sans, Cuphead, Shantae, and Shovel Knight all in one Smash match together? I think that would be the coolest thing, even if they are all Mii Fighters.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Now I'm really hoping we get a Shovel Knight Mii Swordfighter next round. How amazing would it be to have Indie icons like Sans, Cuphead, Shantae, and Shovel Knight all in one Smash match together? I think that would be the coolest thing, even if they are all Mii Fighters.
If we are getting 1 last Indie Mii fighter, I feel it will be either Shovel knight or Hollow Knight. both of them could make great Mii Sword fighters, though I feel Hallow Knight may one up Shovel Knight due to Silk song happening.... at some time.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
I’m actually really sick and tired for hearing lot of fans, some YouTube reactors and streamers going about those characters as Mii being deconfirmed. This has become really negative over them being miis in a biggest video game. Really, over a video game and so many fans keep spamming toxic quotes on Twitter over and over. Me as a true Shantae fan, I’m extremely happy she’s in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate in this kind of way especially her being extremely close with her design, model and her face and also her music, “Neo Burning Town” is now an official Smash soundtrack and I really hope the Smash concert leak is real so I can listen to that playing.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I’m actually really sick and tired for lot of fans, some YouTube reactors and streamers going about those characters as Mii being deconfirmed. This has become really negative over them being miis in a biggest video game. Really, over a video game and so many fans keep spamming on Twitter over and over. Me as a true Shantae fan, I’m extremely happy she’s in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate in this kind of way especially her being extremely close with her design, model and her face and also her music, “Neo Burning Town” is now an official Smash soundtrack and I really hope the Smash concert leak is real so I can to that playing.
Again, I have yet to see any youtubers laughing at shantae's status as a mii fighter. everyone seemed legitly sad shes not playable, and/or very happy her costume looks great and excited for her.

Plus share some of these negitive reactions. I really want to see some

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Again, I have yet to see any youtubers laughing at shantae's status as a mii fighter. everyone seemed legitly sad shes not playable, and/or very happy her costume looks great and excited for her.

Plus share some of these negitive reactions. I really want to see some
I’m aware and I really understand but I really don’t care what they say especially making memes or arts about them being dead. It’s those fans being so negative over video games which it’s not that big of a deal. Hell, I’ve been a big Shantae fan since 2017 and start wanting her in Smash since 2018 after Waluigi and from what I see Shantae made it to Smash as a fighter in that kind of way, I was so pogged and I actually feel extremely happy. I somehow don’t feel disappointed at all. I’m extremely happy.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I’m aware and I really understand but I really don’t care what they say especially making memes or arts about them being dead. It’s those fans being so negative over video games which it’s not that big of a deal. Hell, I’ve been a big Shantae fan since 2017 and start wanting her in Smash since 2018 after Waluigi and from what I see Shantae made it to Smash as a fighter in that kind of way, I was so pogged and I actually feel extremely happy. I somehow don’t feel disappointed at all. I’m extremely happy.
to be honest i think most fans are HAPPy like us. the only legitive things I saw were a few jerks on twitter saying ithat being a mii costume is the worst thing ever.

Heck, I even just now went to 4chan, and in a thread that was started by some guy laughing at shantae's mii, a majority of the comments? all say they aren't mad, happy shes playable in some way, and overall say most shantae fans around the internet are excited.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
to be honest i think most fans are HAPPy like us. the only legitive things I saw were a few jerks on twitter saying ithat being a mii costume is the worst thing ever.

Heck, I even just now went to 4chan, and in a thread that was started by some guy laughing at shantae's mii, a majority of the comments? all say they aren't mad, happy shes playable in some way, and overall say most shantae fans around the internet are excited.
This is what I mean and on the other hand, that’s the spirit! No pun intended lol

zferolie

Smash Hero
This is what I mean and on the other hand, that’s the spirit! No pun intended lol
I'm actually very curious on how the japanese are reacting to this. I saw 1 fanart that was happy, and 1 youtub video where the girl was very happy. Anyone seen how the japanese are reacting?

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually very curious on how the japanese are reacting to this. I saw 1 fanart that was happy, and 1 youtub video where the girl was very happy. Anyone seen how the japanese are reacting?
Not the Japanese reaction but I did see an Japanese art of her in Smash. It’s completely amazing

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Pretty hard to find japanese reactions. It's not as big as a character reveal.
Maybe a few exist tho..

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I'll admit first and foremost, I did not expect the reaction to be as positive as I had thought. With all the years we've spent, some of us like me clinging onto cringe conspiracies, others pushing Shantae like it was the next drug, it had what was the makings of a volatile reaction. And yet, here we all are, excited Shantae got recognition, loving Burning Town becoming a part of the game, and honestly the wholesomeness is what makes it most for me. I am glad I got to be a part of it all, even if I was one of the more extreme elements of the fanbase.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I could only find one japanese youtuber's reaction of the direct. I looked at the mii costume part, and it's funky that they listed Devil May Cry and Skyrim as the names. (compared to the character names we got)

Hey Teeb, what‘s your reaction to Shantae in Smash?
For me it was both being glad and disappointed at the same time, not one before the other. It was more than I expected at this point so definitely more glad than otherwise, and the mii costume doesn't look bad.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
I could only find one japanese youtuber's reaction of the direct. I looked at the mii costume part, and it's funky that they listed Devil May Cry and Skyrim as the names. (compared to the character names we got)

For me it was both being glad and disappointed at the same time, not one before the other. It was more than I expected at this point so definitely more glad than otherwise, and the mii costume doesn't look bad.
Yeah I’m glad you’re still keeping up some spirit (no pun intended lol). No matter how long it’ll take, we’ll always support for Shantae! I cannot wait to play as her in the meantime!

Top Bottom