• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I feel like the final character is either someone highly requested, or just some character for a promotion of some kinda.

Here isnsome fanart of shantae i found for this day

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Also yeah, i think this while not the best case, is easily second best, and her chances for the next game skyrocketed today.

Edit: i suck at making giod mii faces, so if someone here could make the perfect shantae mii, i would download that from you! Artists out there!

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Smash rules only exist when a scapegoat is needed.
Then they disappear when they aren't helpful.
They can even return again, based on different examples.
Because we demand order and reason, in places where it often doesn't exist.
Smash Rules are for the people who debate online about what's allowed and what's not.

Nintendo doesn't care about our rules. They do whatever the heck they want.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Smash Rules are for the people who debate online about what's allowed and what's not.

Nintendo doesn't care about our rules. They do whatever the heck they want.
Exactly.
One look at Chrom in the final Smash shows there aren't actually these stated laws about ATs

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Yeah, Shantae is the first case of a Mii Costume getting a song added with them, but not having a fully modeled head and instead using the standard mii face.

Then again, Pip Boy got a fully modeled head and didn't get a song. so there really was no rule on what is considered "deluxe"

For what it's worth, her hair has physics to it, so it's not like her head piece is any less effort than other "deluxes"

InkyNeko

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure if anyone pointed this out yet but the Shante Mii costume appears to take heavy reference from the official Shantae CharaGumin figure. Notice the hair specifically, the gradient color and the way it flows is pretty much 1 to 1. This falls in line with Sakurai saying he buys and uses 3D figures for reference material to help the modeling team.

https://volksusastore.com/webstores/images/detailed/15/shantae_02_muwd-eo.jpg

In any case I'm very happy to see my ballot vote pay off after all this time in some form.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I feel like the final character is either someone highly requested, or just some character for a promotion of some kinda.

Also yeah, i think this while not the best case, is easily second best, and her chances for the next game skyrocketed today.

Edit: i suck at making giod mii faces, so if someone here could make the perfect shantae mii, i would download that from you! Artists out there!
Oh i forgot we could download them.
But can we change the moves? I dont remember.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Can I at least get fanart of Kazuya throwing Shantae off the cliff? I know that's not exactly appropriate, but... c'mon, they could've done that with half the roster and I'd STILL find it funny.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
I've personally wanted Shantae for a long time (she was my #2), so this is a bitter pill to swallow. As a silver lining though, I DO main Mii Brawler, so I can make this work just fine. With a soundtrack coming to boot, I have very little to complain about personally. Let's try our best next time guys!

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
We need to make a petition for miitopia editor to be included in Smash as an extension or something, lol. I'm glad we got something, specially a 3D model of some sort, rather than just one PNG. I always felt it was weird we only had a couple of spirits only 🤔

I love this fan art so much

I never thought we would get a deluxe mii of all things, that's amazing, at least we got music as well! Perseverance pays off always, in one way or another.

Last edited:

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
'ey, its shantae
Yeah, Shantae is the first case of a Mii Costume getting a song added with them, but not having a fully modeled head and instead using the standard mii face.

Then again, Pip Boy got a fully modeled head and didn't get a song. so there really was no rule on what is considered "deluxe"

For what it's worth, her hair has physics to it, so it's not like her head piece is any less effort than other "deluxes"
Didnt notice that. Actually got more than skyrim, dante, and tales. The costume came out good. I thought it was over but we actually got something pretty cool.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Welp, she didn't make it as a fighter, not surprising really. I was surprised she got a Mii and Burning Town though. I figured the spirits was all Shantae would get this time so I'm glad we got a little more in the end even if it wasn't a full promotion to playable.

Even so, just hearing Sakurai namedrop Shantae felt like the fan support actually paid off some. I'm hopeful for next Smash whenever that time comes, and until then she's still my most wanted for the future.

Also, I will now forever associate Dante with Shantae just because they were shown off back to back and end in "ant(a)e"

Also, also, Kazuya looks sick, can't wait for him to drop tomorrow

zferolie

Smash Hero
Saw this fanart of the miis and had to share haha.

But yeah shantae's mee showimg just as much skin as she normally does shows that her design isnt too much for good boys and girls

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Saw this fanart of the miis and had to share haha.

But yeah shantae's mee showimg just as much skin as she normally does shows that her design isnt too much for good boys and girls
Stop that. Shantae is not dead. Lloyd and Dante is as regular miis lol

Last edited:

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
While it sucks that Shantae is a mii costume the way I look at is , its one step closer for her becoming a playable character for the next game! If we all buy her mii costume and continue to support her after DLC is done (like the Ridley, KKR, and B&K fans did), then she could become a playable character.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Well, it's been a hell of a ride huh? I'm glad everyone here is taking it well. However badly I wanted her as a fighter, this is a great outcome.

I truly believed in the dream during the Smash Ballot, but as we saw more and more of the Fighters Pass characters, it became pretty apparent that Shantae was just not compatible with the direction they were taking for DLC this time around.

...You know what is actually amazing though? Sakurai and Nintendo just acknowledged us in an official Smash video. So many people out there tried to play her down, saying Shantae hype wasn't real, or was exaggerated, or was astroturfing, or whatever. And yet Sakurai just validated Shantae alongside the likes of Skyrim and Devil May Cry as a heavy request for the game.

Seriously, honestly, without the passion and efforts and excitement we all invested over this insane Smash DLC hype cycle, there is no way a character like Shantae would be acknowledged in a blockbuster game like Smash. All the fanart, wishing, daydreaming, and time spent writing forum posts, Nintendo saw that. It really is thanks to all that Shantae love that we now have sprinkles of her throughout the game: a Spirit, a Mii Costume, a music track, and even an online profile tag.

I remember when I used to post in this thread all the time, and in the thread before this one too (and there was even one before that I think? it's been a while). Even if I haven't been active in ages, it feels really good coming back here and seeing so many of you guys still on here keeping the faith and just chatting and socializing and keeping the community alive. Every time I play a Shantae game, or hear her track in the game, or use her new Mii Costume, I'll be remembering you guys.

So, as soon as the work day wraps up today, I'm pouring myself a cold one and toasting to Shantae, and to each of you here. Stay awesome guys.

Cheers.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
I think its all in good fun haha. Im super hyped to just be able to play as shanta with my shantae fighter icon with burning town as the music
Hell yeah dude or dudette. I’m actually really happy that music is officially a Smash soundtrack. Also about the concert leak may seem promising, I cannot wait to listen that after all the DLCs are lined up.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So what are chances NOW for the next game everyone?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Shantaes reaction to seeing her mii outfit

Well, it's been a hell of a ride huh? I'm glad everyone here is taking it well. However badly I wanted her as a fighter, this is a great outcome.

I truly believed in the dream during the Smash Ballot, but as we saw more and more of the Fighters Pass characters, it became pretty apparent that Shantae was just not compatible with the direction they were taking for DLC this time around.

...You know what is actually amazing though? Sakurai and Nintendo just acknowledged us in an official Smash video. So many people out there tried to play her down, saying Shantae hype wasn't real, or was exaggerated, or was astroturfing, or whatever. And yet Sakurai just validated Shantae alongside the likes of Skyrim and Devil May Cry as a heavy request for the game.

Seriously, honestly, without the passion and efforts and excitement we all invested over this insane Smash DLC hype cycle, there is no way a character like Shantae would be acknowledged in a blockbuster game like Smash. All the fanart, wishing, daydreaming, and time spent writing forum posts, Nintendo saw that. It really is thanks to all that Shantae love that we now have sprinkles of her throughout the game: a Spirit, a Mii Costume, a music track, and even an online profile tag.

I remember when I used to post in this thread all the time, and in the thread before this one too (and there was even one before that I think? it's been a while). Even if I haven't been active in ages, it feels really good coming back here and seeing so many of you guys still on here keeping the faith and just chatting and socializing and keeping the community alive. Every time I play a Shantae game, or hear her track in the game, or use her new Mii Costume, I'll be remembering you guys.

So, as soon as the work day wraps up today, I'm pouring myself a cold one and toasting to Shantae, and to each of you here. Stay awesome guys.

Cheers.
Its sad that the speculation is over and people will be hear less for sure... but i had lots of fun over the years

Hell yeah dude or dudette. I’m actually really happy that music is officially a Smash soundtrack. Also about the concert leak may seem promising, I cannot wait to listen that after all the DLCs are lined up.
Concert leak? Didnt that die with tekken? Or you mean the idea we may still get a concert?

So what are chances NOW for the next game everyone?
I saw much better then before. Sakurai outright saying shantae, dantae, lloyd, and dragonborn were highly requested characters means if smash 6 happens they may go to those companies first for adding them in base game

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Shantaes reaction to seeing her mii outfit

Its sad that the speculation is over and people will be hear less for sure... but i had lots of fun over the years

Concert leak? Didnt that die with tekken? Or you mean the idea we may still get a concert?

I saw much better then before. Sakurai outright saying shantae, dantae, lloyd, and dragonborn were highly requested characters means if smash 6 happens they may go to those companies first for adding them in base game
I don’t fully know but it sounds promising so who knows. Also I don’t believe Shantae is deconfirmed from looking back about how she seems like a full fighter in this kind of way like Sans, Cuphead and Bomberman. I don’t believe they’re deconfirmed from being a deluxe.

MattX20

Smash Hero

Cheers.
Couldn't agree more. I'm just glad Shantae was acknowledged as a popular request

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Have you guys noticed how nicely Shantae's ponytail of the Mii costume actually flows as she moves?
I was afraid it'd be solid or stiff and awkward, but it actually looks really nice and I know how much time and effort is needed to get that to look right. I really appreciate the work put into such details.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Have you guys noticed how nicely Shantae's ponytail of the Mii costume actually flows as she moves?
I was afraid it'd be solid or stiff and awkward, but it actually looks really nice and I know how much time and effort is needed to get that to look right. I really appreciate the work put into such details.
Yes. That makes me believe that those kind of Miis are not deconfirmation even Sans, Cuphead and Bomberman (if he counts). I know most of you guys see it but I can see they don’t because there is something really special about them after all especially showcasing them in a special and different way. You don’t have to agree with me but I believe they don’t deconfirmed. I can see how it goes.

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
The dream is dead... maybe in the next generation of Smash.

However, I do enjoy that she got a good looking mii costume with physics along with some music in the game. I'll definitely use it since I've recently started using Brawler anyway.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yes. That makes me believe that those kind of Miis are not deconfirmation even Sans, Cuphead and Bomberman (if he counts). I know most of you guys see it but I can see they don’t because there is something really special about them after all especially showcasing them in a special and different way. You don’t have to agree with me but I believe they don’t deconfirmed. I can see how it goes.
Are you saying you're holding on to the idea that they would show up as fighters for smash ultimate? Because that would be very irrealistic.
The costumes is what they get, where they put the effort for putting them in the game.

Next game though, there's a chance.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sure, Shantae could have gotten more, but at least you guys can officially throw in your support by getting the Mii costume. Plus her next game will most likely get released sometime after Nintendo's next console is unveiled/released. She'll get her chance next time (especially if they still have ballot results to go through.

Udon really ought to keep the release date for the art book as final though, there's no excuse to delay it now.

Dukefire

Smash Master
There is the possible bonus fighter that people are still speculating about. Though with Sakurai about to wrap up with one more character left for the entire Ultimate DLC, I'm seeing that it isn't possible. I could be wrong along with others, but we have to play the waiting game to find out the truth.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There is the possible bonus fighter that people are still speculating about. Though with Sakurai about to wrap up with one more character left for the entire Ultimate DLC, I'm seeing that it isn't possible. I could be wrong along with others, but we have to play the waiting game to find out the truth.
If there is I like the idea of a breath of the wild zelda or something like that.

(a nintendo character being more likely)

Last edited:
Top Bottom