• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the directs pretty much always overlap with some anniversaries and other things, but rarely does it actually mean anything. It's more often than not just coincidence, there aren't exactly many days that aren't significant to some game. And they aren't going to go out of their way to avoid coming off as hinting at something when inevitably somebody will find a connection, no matter how small.

Last edited:

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Hey it’s been a while you fellow Shantae and Smash fans. We’re getting that close to Nintendo Direct E3 2021. I just want to say good luck to your hopes and dreams not only about Smash but about other games too like Metroid Prime 4, BOTW 2, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, etc. I personally don’t know what I’m hoping for because I’m only a Mario and Shantae fan so I can mostly hope we can get a fresh new 3D Mario game. May not be possible but I really hope for Super Mario Galaxy 3 or Super Mario Odyssey 2 at least but I mostly want Super Mario Galaxy 3 since Super Mario Galaxy is my most favourite 3D Mario childhood game I ever played and it really satisfies me. So anyway about Smash, honestly as much as we can all hope for Shantae, it can be legitimately anyone at this point depending on Nintendo and Sakurai. Not us. We can only mostly hope which character will join or not. Shantae? Crash? Lloyd? Dante? Ryu? Others? Who knows. All matters is let’s just have fun reacting to the whole Direct and good luck with your predictions and hope it can come true.

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
We'll find out what Shantae's fate most likely is next Tuesday. That much is certain
Eh, I’m still not banking on a double reveal. It’s possible, but with how much time is left in the year before the FP2 deadline, I think only one reveal is reasonable. So it might not be the day that decides her fate.

Regardless, all we can do is wait and hope.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Bloody Hell, almost a week before E3 to the T. I will admit I do have goosebumps about the entire thing. And I hope to the Gods Shantae makes it.

Though with E3 being as close as it is, there's certainly going to be a megaton of "leaks" and "speculations". It's gonna be Hell, for sure, though we've survived and got through worse.
I understand how scary it sounds since we’re like biggest video game fans for years especially fans of characters wishing and hoping to join a biggest crossover game yet. Honestly it doesn’t bother me too much anymore since when it comes to Smash, it’s mainly about showing so much love to other video game companies by one of the most biggest video game companies, Nintendo. So anyway I know there’s a lot of pressure from our anxieties because it does sound really exciting and nerve-racking but hey listen, even if Shantae makes it or not, we should truly be thankful for Nintendo and Sakurai doing so much work for 6 years because they had never stop since 2015 after Smash 4. They start Smash Ultimate in 2015 all the way to 2018 for the full game but now developing more characters from 2018-now. We all should be truly thankful for giving us so much taste into the one and only biggest crossover series throughout the years.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Eh, I’m still not banking on a double reveal. It’s possible, but with how much time is left in the year before the FP2 deadline, I think only one reveal is reasonable. So it might not be the day that decides her fate.

Regardless, all we can do is wait and hope.
Just because they reveal both characters at the same time doesn't mean they're going to release at the same time. The first one could be coming soon, while the 2nd could be revealed at the same time and released a couple of months later.

Besides, they probably used 12/31/21 to give themselves as much development time as needed just in case of delays. But the release schedule for characters has remained consistant so that date probably doesn't actually mean anything anymore.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
But the release schedule for characters has remained consistant so that date probably doesn't actually mean anything anymore.
Ever since I found out that the date was nothing more than a deadline, I stopped believing that the pass would end at that date. Rather, it's going to end before that date, since it's just a deadline to get all the DLC finished.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
My copies of Shantae and Risky's Revenge arrived yesterday. Yay.

Let's see what E3 has in store.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
My copies of Shantae and Risky's Revenge arrived yesterday. Yay.

Let's see what E3 has in store.
I've decided that I'm not going to predict any character reveals for Smash. I'll be happy if we somehow get a combination of either Crash, Shantae, Ryu Hayabusa, Yuri Lowell, Lloyd Irving, Master Chief, Spyro or Amaterasu in the last 2 DLC spots, but even if we don't, Smash Ultimate's already the greatest video game crossover ever made, so I won't be upset in regards to Smash at this point.

As far as what I want to see at E3 aside from Smash, it's really just Breath of the Wild 2.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So, what do you guys expect from Nintendo's 40 E3 Direct? I ask because I'm starting to wonder if the Big N might not have as much to show off as I originally imagined.

I don't know if any of you follow the pokemon hype cycle at all, but this year things are getting a little odd. We have three games we know will be coming out relatively soon, but have had next to no real information given about any of them. Normally this wouldn't be a big issue as Pokemon generally has a presentation sometime before E3. They have rarely ever had more of a presence at E3 beyond being featured in the Treehouse presentation, usually choosing to make big reveals an announcements beforehand.

However, this time it wasn't the case, for whatever reason we haven't had any real pokemon news since the reveal of the Gen 4 remakes and Legends Arceus over 3 months ago.

This has me wondering if Nintendo's lineup will be a little thinner this year than they had hoped so they asked the Pokemon Company to hold their reveals for the Nintendo Direct at E3.

I'd like to think there will be enough Nintendo news to fill the 40 minutes, but if some of the time has to go to BDSP, Legends: Arceus and Pokemon Unite, it makes me wonder how much Nintendo really has to show off.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
So, what do you guys expect from Nintendo's 40 E3 Direct? I ask because I'm starting to wonder if the Big N might not have as much to show off as I originally imagined.

I don't know if any of you follow the pokemon hype cycle at all, but this year things are getting a little odd. We have three games we know will be coming out relatively soon, but have had next to no real information given about any of them. Normally this wouldn't be a big issue as Pokemon generally has a presentation sometime before E3. They have rarely ever had more of a presence at E3 beyond being featured in the Treehouse presentation, usually choosing to make big reveals an announcements beforehand.

However, this time it wasn't the case, for whatever reason we haven't had any real pokemon news since the reveal of the Gen 4 remakes and Legends Arceus over 3 months ago.

This has me wondering if Nintendo's lineup will be a little thinner this year than they had hoped so they asked the Pokemon Company to hold their reveals for the Nintendo Direct at E3.

I'd like to think there will be enough Nintendo news to fill the 40 minutes, but if some of the time has to go to BDSP, Legends: Arceus and Pokemon Unite, it makes me wonder how much Nintendo really has to show off.
I already quoted about that. Not only Smash because its too obvious and also always with that situation since we have only 2 more DLCs. Hope you and other fans can expect Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, BOTW 2, Splatoon 3, etc. but I mostly hope for Super Mario Galaxy 3 or Super Mario Odyssey 2 but mostly Super Mario Galaxy 3 because Super Mario Galaxy is my most favourite childhood 3D Mario game.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Uh, guys? Should we be worried? Apparently according to this Tweet, Nintendo took down a Doom Eternal Tweet for E3 2021 and people are coming to the conclusion that Doomguy is coming, even though Bethesda previously said they were never approaced by Nintendo. https://twitter.com/XonKeD/status/1401907721947987978
A similar incident happened about a year back when somebody uploaded a YouTube video making a Smash fighter mod showcase for their Kosmos model from Xenosaga that had Nintendo music playing in that too which also got taken down by copyright.

Edit - Here's an article here talking about it: Nintendo Takes Down KOS-MOS Smash Ultimate Mod For Infringing Mario Kart Tour's Copyright | NintendoSoup

So yeah I think it's just trolls that report these sort of things close to when events are about to happen like the VGAs at the time to get everybody all excited.

Last edited:

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
A similar incident happened about a year back when somebody uploaded a YouTube video making a Smash fighter mod showcase for their Kosmos model from Xenosaga that had Nintendo music playing in that too which also got taken down by copyright.

Edit - Here's an article here talking about it: Nintendo Takes Down KOS-MOS Smash Ultimate Mod For Infringing Mario Kart Tour's Copyright | NintendoSoup

So yeah I think it's just trolls that report these sort of things close to when events are about to happen like the VGAs at the time to get everybody all excited.
Ah alright. I now understand why this Doom Eternal video was taken down. It was because it was playing Lifelight from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as it's OST.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman

I’ve got decent hopes for E3 actually because we know so little about the year. Originally I went in assuming the same thinner release schedule, but with their direct announcement they said they’d focus on 2021 releases but didn’t name any titles.

Had they not specified the year I would have assumed most announcements would be for 2022 and beyond, and had they named any specific games I would think they’d be focusing on them. We might not have a ton of all star knockout announcements, but I feel that there’s still a good deal to talk about for the 2021-22 window.

But it’s all up to the future for now. We’ll see Tuesday.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Yeah, 4 days is when we will know the truth. Which is where the surprise(s) will drop.
Screenshot_20210609-163254_YouTube.jpg

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
So, what do you guys expect from Nintendo's 40 E3 Direct
Breath of the Wild 2
Skyward Sword HD
Legend of Zelda 3D Collection
Double Reveal for Smash Ultimate
Splatoon 3
Metroid Prime 4
Bayonetta 3
Pokemon Legends
Pokemon Gen 4 remakes
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity DLC
New Donkey Kong Country game

It might seem like a lot, but don't forget that Nintendo's E3 2019 was also jam-packed with stuff, and was also roughly 40 minutes long.

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Risky Boots is here.

We're nearing it, guys. We're nearing.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I’ve got decent hopes for E3 actually because we know so little about the year. Originally I went in assuming the same thinner release schedule, but with their direct announcement they said they’d focus on 2021 releases but didn’t name any titles.

Had they not specified the year I would have assumed most announcements would be for 2022 and beyond, and had they named any specific games I would think they’d be focusing on them. We might not have a ton of all star knockout announcements, but I feel that there’s still a good deal to talk about for the 2021-22 window.

But it’s all up to the future for now. We’ll see Tuesday.
Do you mind my asking what else you think they might announce for this year?

I think we will see BotW2, but it won't be releasing this year. And all the other big games we know about (Metroid 4, Bayonetta 3, Donkey Kong rumor) likely wouldn't get their big reveal and then get a release date for 5 months later.

I wouldn't think their big holiday title would be the Pokemon remakes considering the general opinion on them is touch and go and they haven't shown anything on them to get people more excited about them.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Do you mind my asking what else you think they might announce for this year?

I think we will see BotW2, but it won't be releasing this year. And all the other big games we know about (Metroid 4, Bayonetta 3, Donkey Kong rumor) likely wouldn't get their big reveal and then get a release date for 5 months later.

I wouldn't think their big holiday title would be the Pokemon remakes considering the general opinion on them is touch and go and they haven't shown anything on them to get people more excited about them.
To be honest, I tend not to speculate on what will be announced out of the blue, since Nintendo is usually unpredictable with it. Like, I guessed that A Mario spinoff would be shown in the February direct, but I didn’t know it would be golf. I wouldn’t have guessed Metroid Prime 4 would be announced in 2017. I usually approach predictions based on what we know exists and whether it’s likely to be shown off, and then think about other announcements more broadly.

Like, I’m fully expecting Pokemon is gonna be the big holiday title. They aren’t going to pit BOTW2 against that beast, it’s absolutely coming 2022. But I do expect BOTW2 to at least get a trailer at E3 since they stated they had more news to share later in the year, and that was 4 months ago. In a similar boat, the absolute best we can expect from Prime 4 is a teaser trailer akin to how much Zelda got in 2019; it had to be restarted in Jan. 2019 but it’s now had 2 years of work put into it, it’s absolutely ready to show even a peek. Also SMTV, that’s almost a given to show up since Atlus hasn’t said anything about a delay yet, and they love to announce delays (Persona 5, coming 2015-16-17-18!)

Rumors are hard to go off of since they’re so often either wrong (remember how everyone and their dog swore Star Fox Racing was a thing?) or just repeated until they’re right (like “a new paper Mario is coming!” or however many years now we’ve been told that the prime trilogy is toooootally coming to switch), but I do think there’s some merit behind Mario and Rabbids 2, DK getting some new game, and a new Kirby game since his last mainline game was 3 years ago.

As far as unannounced stuff goes beyond rumors, I do think we’ll see at least one ‘revival’, like a smaller series getting a new coat of paint or a rerelease package; I dunno, I just feel a lot of Nintendo’s A-Listers have already gotten a shine on Switch - Mario, Kirby, Zelda, Smash, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Metroid eventually, Paper Mario, etc. - and in year 4 of the lifecycle they might be looking to branch out to some of the smaller series.

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
What's everybody's rating of Shantae coming to Smash when E3 arrives in a few days? I can admit I see her as a 30% chance given how indies are getting those deluxe mii costumes and the fact all 4 Shantae games are on the switch certainly helps.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
What's everybody's rating of Shantae coming to Smash when E3 arrives in a few days? I can admit I see her as a 30% chance given how indies are getting those deluxe mii costumes and the fact all 4 Shantae games are on the switch certainly helps.
I'd say she has an even chance of appearing. After all, Shantae: Half-Genie Hero was shown off at E3 2016, so she wouldn't be out of place here. And yes, about that Indie Mii Costume thing, there is a theory that the Indie Miis and Ubisoft Miis are hinting towards characters that are related to both, Shantae and Rayman being the best examples. I'm going to hold onto this theory until we finally see who's announced.

And speaking of which, both Shantae and Rayman fit as characters who missed their chance at getting base game content and having a long discussion behind them respectively, much like the other characters of FP2. They also have online icons which aren't affiliated with Fighters or Assist Trophies, much like Min-Min and Pyra and Mythra before they became playable.

All in all, I'd say there's an even chance for her to show up. The same can be said for every other character who is still in the running. Also, it's actually 5 games, not 4. Just tossing that out there.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I'd say she has an even chance of appearing. After all, Shantae: Half-Genie Hero was shown off at E3 2016, so she wouldn't be out of place here. And yes, about that Indie Mii Costume thing, there is a theory that the Indie Miis and Ubisoft Miis are hinting towards characters that are related to both, Shantae and Rayman being the best examples. I'm going to hold onto this theory until we finally see who's announced.

And speaking of which, both Shantae and Rayman fit as characters who missed their chance at getting base game content and having a long discussion behind them respectively, much like the other characters of FP2. They also have online icons which aren't affiliated with Fighters or Assist Trophies, much like Min-Min and Pyra and Mythra before they became playable.

All in all, I'd say there's an even chance for her to show up. The same can be said for every other character who is still in the running. Also, it's actually 5 games, not 4. Just tossing that out there.
Where did you first see this theory?

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I'd say there's about a 50% chance of her being a fighter.

I'd say she has an even chance of appearing. After all, Shantae: Half-Genie Hero was shown off at E3 2016, so she wouldn't be out of place here.
Not only 2016, HGH was also at E3 in 2015 and 2017 (that year they were showing the Risky Boots DLC). Pirates Curse was also at E3 back in 2014.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I remember my friend SebTheGamer SebTheGamer mentioning it to me on Discord, and after looking into it myself I realised he and whoever else believes in the theory isn't far off. If anything, the stuff they said made sense.
One thing was wrong with what you said earlier, Rayman doesn't have an online icon like Shantae

zferolie

Smash Hero
my dream for the e3? A double reveal of reimu(fits the grazing glitch and she is the primire indie of japan), and Shantae(barely missed out maybe in base) thats my dream. not gonna happen but if it does I'd be super happy

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
You know, regarding that Doom Eternal E3 2021 Tweet that was taken down by Nintendo for using Lifelight in it, it's sad to see that the majority of the Smash fandom just jumps on it like a confirmation for Doomguy while the minority (like us) actually looks back on times where something similar happened and it led to the desired character not getting in. Doomguy would be cool, but Bethesda said they were never approached by Nintendo. It seems like it hasn't stopped some people though. Unfortunately, it is what it is.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Damn that Ubisoft thing was somewhat a bore. The only interesting thing that happened is the sequel to Mario plus Rabbids Kingdom Battle subtitled "Sparks of Hope" is coming next year.

Dukefire

Smash Master
For Ultimate's remaining slots, we know these:
-Lloyd's Mii costume is the only one that hasn't returned yet. Either it means the Tales of Series may get a rep or just saving the costume for the next wave.
-Base Spirits doesn't mean deconfirmation. DLC spirits and events are out.
-The last two slots could either be 2 third parties, 1 third party and first party, or 2 first parties. Who knows.....
-Sakurai saying retirement was for his bi-weekly Famitsu Column, so he will continue on game development.

Anyway, tomorrow will be two days before it's Nintendo's turn for announcements.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman

Min Min and Rayman didn't have online icons, Shantae and Geno did. The oddball with Xenoblade 2 was that Rex wasn't among the icon list, but Pyra and Mythra were.

Geno and Xenoblade 2 got something in Vol. 2, Shantae and Rayman are the oddball community picks left in the air.

Sorry Shinuto, didn't notice that brief post until a little later.

Last edited:
Top Bottom