• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I stopped playing on the way to Water Town...
Yeah, the hit registration, Night and Day cycles (night makes enemies having double health.), leap of faith at time and farming for gems to get stuff. It will take some time to get used to.

I had my fair share of game over and pit deaths. But I did work around it.

Last edited:

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
"Ryu Hayabusa" Yup, should definitely take this with a grain of salt.
Yeah, the moment I saw him in there, the leak became an instant turn off. It is sad to see Ryu's creator seemingly throw him out of the running, as Dolphin wanted him in the game. But we live in a reality where Masahiro Sakurai can only grant certain wishes (no Shantae pun intended) for the Smash community.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I stopped playing on the way to Water Town...
You can make things easier by buying things from the shop, unlike later games the items you get from them (they actually use PC's inventory style instead of magic meters) are quite powerful and useful. Hit up Scuttle Town's dance parlor when night falls and you can rack up as many gems as you need. If you're really having trouble with a certain area due to enemies, a ton of Vanish Creams can let you dash through and ignore them. Same with Float Muffins if pits are an issue. Other than that, standard healing vials will help with survival obviously, and Pike Balls will easily damage and stunlock tough enemies.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Yeah, the moment I saw him in there, the leak became an instant turn off. It is sad to see Ryu's creator seemingly throw him out of the running, as Dolphin wanted him in the game. But we live in a reality where Masahiro Sakurai can only grant certain wishes (no Shantae pun intended) for the Smash community.
You know, despite what I said about Hayabusa 2 months ago, I was still holding out hope that he might still happen since Koei Tecmo held off on preorders for the Switch version of the Ninja Gaiden Master Collection, and I thought "Maybe they're holding off on that for a Ryu Hayabusa Smash reveal this month, where they'll officially announce that preorders for the game on Switch are now open."

But, preorders finally went up last week, and that put to rest what little confidence I still had in Hayabusa's chances 😖 Oh well. Maybe I can get another character I like in one of the last 2 spots. I'm mostly doubtful on Shantae's chances now, but I'd still be ecstatic if she got announced.

Last edited:

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
You know, despite what I said about Hayabusa 2 months ago, I was still holding out hope that he might still happen since Koei Tecmo held off on preorders for the Switch version of the Ninja Gaiden Master Collection, and I thought "Maybe they're holding off on that for a Ryu Hayabusa Smash reveal this month, where they'll officially announce that preorders for the game on Switch are now open."

But, preorders finally went up last week, and that put to rest what little confidence I still had in Hayabusa's chances 😖 Oh well. Maybe I can get another character I like in one of the last 2 spots. I'm mostly doubtful on Shantae's chances now, but I'd still be ecstatic if she got announced.
Yeah, sorry about that man.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

I feel for anyone who feels their most wanted characters aren't possible anymore. Most the characters I would really like have next to no chance of getting in, so at least consider yourself fortunate that Ryu was popular and prevalent enough to last this long in the speculation game.

Right now my biggest hope is that those rumors about the Mario Odyssey team making a new DK game are true and that Dixie is in it and Sakurai includes her to promote the game.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Looks like Seven Sirens is getting more content! Can't wait to see what it is.

Hopefully some short story adventures on the other half-genies, would love to see more of them and play with their abilities. Perhaps even Rotty's side of the adventure, heh. Or is Squid Baron finally getting his spotlight?

But the absolute wish-fulfillment DLC would be Amiibo support for me (especially if that Amiibo comes due to her joining Smash).

Dukefire

Smash Master
Looks like we will be seeing at least one character and not a double reveal. Based on the website so far with two weeks till E3

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Looks like we will be seeing at least one character and not a double reveal. Based on the website so far with two weeks till E3
What website? The official Smash Ultimate one?

I'm gonna be honest. Considering how much time has passed since Pyra and Mythra came out, I feel like we ARE gonna get a double reveal for the last 2 fighters at E3. If there's really only 2 left, and it's been almost exactly 3 months since the last fighter, chances are that we have another Hero/Banjo situation on our hands, where they were working on both fighters at the same time to reveal at the same place.

Dukefire

Smash Master
What website? The official Smash Ultimate one?

I'm gonna be honest. Considering how much time has passed since Pyra and Mythra came out, I feel like we ARE gonna get a double reveal for the last 2 fighters at E3. If there's really only 2 left, and it's been almost exactly 3 months since the last fighter, chances are that we have another Hero/Banjo situation on our hands, where they were working on both fighters at the same time to reveal at the same place.
No, just the website of the Famitsu column that was posted recently.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Yeah, it’s absolutely possible. Definitely less likely with recent columns from Sakurai, yet the language always says when “DLC” is done then Smash Umtimate is finalized. If Nintendo wants a few more characters to help tide over the Covid delays, they’ll get them.
Here's the thing: 1. The Famitsu interview I see people referencing in regards to to this is from at least a year ago, and well, plans can change in that amount of time.

2. I admit, I could be wrong on this one, but would Sakurai even be able to confirm that there'll be no more DLC after this in something like an interview? I don't know, that seems like the kind of information that would be reserved for an actual presentation.

I still fully believe there's a good chance for a double-reveal. I mean, I distinctly remember after the Smash tournament held the day before Nintendo's E3 2019 presentation where Sakurai stated that the next DLC fighter would be revealed in said presentation, and people (notably the Banjo-Kazooie support thread) took this to mean that there would be only one new reveal, and then shock of all shocks, we got both Hero and Banjo & Kazooie. So yeah, I'd suggest not taking what the website says at absolute face-value; I mean, if they ARE planning a double-reveal, would you want to reveal that, especially since they should know that fans are already expecting at least the reveal of Challenger Pack 10.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
2. I admit, I could be wrong on this one, but would Sakurai even be able to confirm that there'll be no more DLC after this in something like an interview? I don't know, that seems like the kind of information that would be reserved for an actual presentation.
I'm pretty sure he said it during the Pyra presentation again just a few months ago, so saying it outside of the presentation afterwards isn't really weird, at this point he will just say it as much as possible so the fans can just get it already.

That aside, I think there's a good chance they do both reveals at E3 if that leaves them with just having to prepare the Sakurai presentations afterwards, specially since we are obviously gonna end on low notes (meaning nothing HUGE is gonna happen), it also becomes easier to handle having both reveals now with everyone's eyes set on the big event, rather than looking for a moment to randomly reveal the last reveal in a few months. But that's just me, they can do whatever they want, they can reveal both now or reveal one now and then the other one just when it's about to release so they can milk the mystery to the very end 🤷‍♂️. Personally I want both already so they can make that E3 direct as packed as possible like they did back in 2019, just for hype value haha

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure he said it during the Pyra presentation again just a few months ago, so saying it outside of the presentation afterwards isn't really weird, at this point he will just say it as much as possible so the fans can just get it already.
Yeah, I do remember that, though again, if Nintendo WAS planning a third Fighter's Pass, they'd be saving said announcement for a big event like E3. So basically, we'll see what happens in two weeks.

Heck, I even pointed this out on Twitter that timeline-wise, we didn't get news on further DLC after Fighter's Pass 1 until the reveal of Terry (the second-to-last character in the Pass), so between that and the guaranteed chance that Challenger Pack 10 will be revealed at E3, if they're secretly planning a 3rd Pass, this would be the best time to reveal so.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Its not happening dude. I'm sorry, but its not gonna happen.
Look, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

But people seem to be taking a lot of things at face value and assuming that there's zero chance of a third pass when you never know what'll happen when E3 happens.

So again, if I'm wrong, then I'll accept that. But until that happens, I'm still keeping my hopes up.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Look, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

But people seem to be taking a lot of things at face value and assuming that there's zero chance of a third pass when you never know what'll happen when E3 happens.

So again, if I'm wrong, then I'll accept that. But until that happens, I'm still keeping my hopes up.
I feel it’s also important to know that on the Pyra presentation, that was February. And the presentations are filmed a month or so in advance (as stated in Terry’s reveal), so again, there’s technically a few months of wiggle room for Nintendo to butt in and say “hey actually we need more to fill the time gap in covid delayed releases”.

I won’t deny it isn’t the most likely. But it ain’t over until it’s over! And if it doesn’t happen, who cares, it’s been a fantastic ride.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I've started playing some Asha in Monster World; if there was a succint way to describe it, it is essentially the first Shantae game, that strips the overworld, leaving only a hub and four big dungeons to tackle, resulting in a more linear but streamlined experience.

A little while ago I watched Gamexplain's review of the Famicom Detective Club remakes, where they mentioned that Ayumi Tachibana was actually considered for Melee but passed over due to lack of western exposure, the same reason Marth and Roy almost got cut, at least from western versions of the game. Now I am curious if Sakurai would want to take this last chance and add her, also fulfilling the "retro newcomer" quota we haven't quite gotten yet.

Last random thing, voice 14 in Monster Hunter Rise is uncannily similar to Shantae's voice. Just saying.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Ohhhhhhhh..............I haven't tried or play MH Rise yet, but this is surprising.

Also, here is a shantae artwork.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well...
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I verified that, but I still maintain 14 is the one closest to Shantae. Christina can very much do different kinds of voices.

Edit: About the possible added content for Seven Sirens, if there is anyone they can give an adventure to, it's the Lobster Girl.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
WayForward have been advertising Shantae on Switch for awhile now.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Rottytops' turn in the spotlight.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, the waiting time has been extend. Since it will be roughly 40 mins long, one reveal is more guaranteed and not a double.
Screenshot_20210601-102045_YouTube.jpg

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Airing on the final day of E3 seems pretty gutsy. Like if they don't knock it out if the park, they run the risk of all of their announcements being over shadowed by the biggest reveal of the event.

They must be pretty confident with what they have to show.

Also, if there is a "switch pro" this further suggests it will be revealed before E3. With them going last (last day anyway) that means all the developers advertising which of their games were coming to switch couldn't mention any "pro" improvements if Nintendo was going to reveal it one or two days after.

Interesting stuff.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
They chose to announce the Direct on Shantae's 19th anniversary too. But I'm not gonna bank on that being evidence for Shantae in Smash. It's not evidence.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much every E3 direct has been announced at ~40 minutes long, usually running over by a minute or two at the most when it actually airs. So expect a standard amount of announcements as a whole compared to previous years (in terms of quantity, quality is up to your own tastes) aside from 2018 where half the show was explicitly said to be about Smash:

Plus they said software only, so no Switch Pro rumors unless they reveal it before or weirdly after the presentation. And 2021 “focused” but not exclusively for releases.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818

T-Minus 13 days everyone!
They chose to announce the Direct on Shantae's 19th anniversary too. But I'm not gonna bank on that being evidence for Shantae in Smash. It's not evidence.

Most likely a Coincidence.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Rottytops' turn in the spotlight.

Awesome that best zombie girl got a bit of spotlight!

Well, the waiting time has been extend. Since it will be roughly 40 mins long, one reveal is more guaranteed and not a double.
View attachment 317528
...Dude, what makes you think 40 minutes won't feature a double-Smash reveal? Hell, E3 2019's Direct was just under 43 minutes, and that revealed both Hero and Banjo & Kazooie. So why do you keep insisting that there's no chance for a double-reveal?

Top Bottom