• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Sora seems ify with the whole Disney situation and with us already getting a Square-Enix rep with Sephiroth in Fighter's Pass 2. I think Sora isn't likely. Crash is very likely with the whole 5 year Activision plan document leak and all the Crash games coming to Switch and other rumors supporting his inclusion. Shantae seems 50/50 as she could go either way. Shantae has been getting a absurd amount of merchandise as of lately and it could be a sign for something but what?
I don't see how having a Square Enix rep in the Pass already affects Sora's chances. That's not really a hard rule; more of an observation that ultimately may mean nothing.

Also, even if that WERE the case, Disney owns the rights to the character while Square just develops the games; if he were to get in, he'd probably be put under Disney and not Square Enix.

So really, it's up to Disney, and frankly, they'd be idiots for not agreeing to something like this.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
This Plush+Code deal is a bit of a big thing. The same kind of deal was offered with Undertale, Celeste and Hollow Knight. SO it's cool to see our girl held in the same regards as those others.

Also about that video that was shared on the last page from the guy who did the porting of the first Shantae game... What was interesting about that was how he mentioned he was hired by Limited Run Games to do the porting, and not Wayforward. Which seems like LGR might have been the driving force to get this game onto the Switch.

This suggests that Shantae has made a lot of money for LRG if they were putting their own effort in getting another one of her games released so they could publish another physical copy.

Also worth noting, they removed the Capcom and Nintendo branding from the new port, so how come this game was still only released on the Switch? Is there some kind of copyright involved with Gameboy architecture? Or was Nintendo involved in making sure it was an exclusive or a timed exclusive? It's all very curious...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
This Plush+Code deal is a bit of a big thing. The same kind of deal was offered with Undertale, Celeste and Hollow Knight. SO it's cool to see our girl held in the same regards as those others.

Also about that video that was shared on the last page from the guy who did the porting of the first Shantae game... What was interesting about that was how he mentioned he was hired by Limited Run Games to do the porting, and not Wayforward. Which seems like LGR might have been the driving force to get this game onto the Switch.

This suggests that Shantae has made a lot of money for LRG if they were putting their own effort in getting another one of her games released so they could publish another physical copy.

Also worth noting, they removed the Capcom and Nintendo branding from the new port, so how come this game was still only released on the Switch? Is there some kind of copyright involved with Gameboy architecture? Or was Nintendo involved in making sure it was an exclusive or a timed exclusive? It's all very curious...
Well the Switch is the only relevant console on the market now that's a) portable like the Game Boy Color, and b) uses cartridges.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
No but I'm just saying, the original Shantae could be ported on a disc based system.
You can emulate anything on anything, that's besides the point I'm alluding to. If you're going to the trouble of making a physical packaging that goes out of it's way to be as authentic to the original as possible, do you not think that playing it on a console that doesn't play anything like the original platform might run against that philosophy?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You can emulate anything on anything, that's besides the point I'm alluding to. If you're going to the trouble of making a physical packaging that goes out of it's way to be as authentic to the original as possible, do you not think that playing it on a console that doesn't play anything like the original platform might run against that philosophy?
I think it doesn't matter as companies have ported old cartridge games on modern disc consoles for awhile now. They're not going to make a new GameBoy per say just so these old fans can relive the glory days.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I think it doesn't matter as companies have ported old cartridge games on modern disc consoles for awhile now. They're not going to make a new GameBoy per say just so these old fans can relive the glory days.
Yeah, modern companies would care more about getting the games out to as many customers to make as much of a profit as possible. Like Risky's Revenge and Pirates Curse were originally handheld games, but that didn't stop them from putting them on as many platforms as possible, portable or no.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Crash is very likely with the whole 5 year Activision plan document leak
Interestingly, that document’s veracity was never confirmed. And given everything going with Activision and Crash right now, laying off most of the ToysForBob staff and dissolving the rest into Call of Duty development, that document looks a little more suspect each day. Seems Activision didn’t have as big plans for the marsupial as people expected.

EDIT FOR ACCURACY: upon further inspection, it’s actually worse. It seems activision DIDNT lay anyone off... but a portion of the design team was contract based, and those contracts weren’t renewed. This means Activision likely wasn’t planning ANYTHING after Crash 4 if they weren’t planning to extend contracts or keep more full time staff. The remaining permanent staff members are the ones who got moved to Call of Duty.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I finally finished Seven Sirens, I liked it way more than I expected, despite everyone's opinions on that game as the latest one made.

Also, some info of interest has recently dropped apparently. Bozon has confirmed that Shantae, regardless of no specific age given, is an adult nonetheless. Just great to have official word on this, specially after that one time that the person behind wayforward twitter account spread that bs about her being 16 and then wayforward had to shut that claim down.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Shantae art

These are some of my favorite fan arts, by twisted-wind
25385e9e8c9d817d0df57e5cc48ec589.jpg

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
I finally finished Seven Sirens, I liked it way more than I expected, despite everyone's opinions on that game as the latest one made.

Also, some info of interest has recently dropped apparently. Bozon has confirmed that Shantae, regardless of no specific age given, is an adult nonetheless. Just great to have official word on this, specially after that one time that the person behind wayforward twitter account spread that bs about her being 16 and then wayforward had to shut that claim down.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

These are some of my favorite fan arts, by twisted-wind
View attachment 313388
Oh wow. Matt confirmed Shantae has no official age but consider being an adult? Well some fans are clowns about her age lol

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Sadly, I don't think Matt confirming her to be an adult is going to stop the whole "all Shantae fans are pedophiles" stereotype that I've seen floating around here and there in the Smash community.

On an unrelated note, I noticed that LRG Shantae GBC has been pushed back as well. They haven't updated the shipping date from April but it's still listed as being in production.

Dukefire

Smash Master
A part of me say what!?
Screenshot_20210428-172505_YouTube.jpg
Rest of me had the idea she is an adult with uncle mimic as a older parent figure with no clue of her father and mother.

Oh, did anyone see the shantae livestream?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Sadly, I don't think Matt confirming her to be an adult is going to stop the whole "all Shantae fans are pedophiles" stereotype that I've seen floating around here and there in the Smash community.
It won't stop them but they will still look like clowns denying reality from now on at least, lol. -insert "It's something" meme here-

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
It won't stop them but they will still look like clowns denying reality from now on at least, lol. -insert "It's something" meme here-
I mean I personally like to see Shantae as 16, since that fits her energetic and bubbly personality imo better, and in many parts of the world and in usual fantasy worlds that age is considered "adult" age anyway. But to be fair she could easily still be early twenties. To me its like Disney Aladdin, he and Jasmine were basically "adults" despite being 16.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Interestingly, that document’s veracity was never confirmed. And given everything going with Activision and Crash right now, laying off most of the ToysForBob staff and dissolving the rest into Call of Duty development, that document looks a little more suspect each day. Seems Activision didn’t have as big plans for the marsupial as people expected.

EDIT FOR ACCURACY: upon further inspection, it’s actually worse. It seems activision DIDNT lay anyone off... but a portion of the design team was contract based, and those contracts weren’t renewed. This means Activision likely wasn’t planning ANYTHING after Crash 4 if they weren’t planning to extend contracts or keep more full time staff. The remaining permanent staff members are the ones who got moved to Call of Duty.
Another thing that could possibly put a dent in the credibility of that "Crash 5 year plan" is that I don't remember it mentioning any any cross promotion with fast food restaurants.

Now it's possible that the whole Dominos' Noid thing happened after this plan was set, but even if they specifically didn't consider Dominos, if they were looking for cross promotion partners to include in that mobile game which was part of the 5 year plan, you'd think they would have mentioned that as part of the plan as well

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Another thing that could possibly put a dent in the credibility of that "Crash 5 year plan" is that I don't remember it mentioning any any cross promotion with fast food restaurants.

Now it's possible that the whole Dominos' Noid thing happened after this plan was set, but even if they specifically didn't consider Dominos, if they were looking for cross promotion partners to include in that mobile game which was part of the 5 year plan, you'd think they would have mentioned that as part of the plan as well
Honestly, I don't think the Crash 5 Year Plan even has any more fuel. Both Vicarious and TfB got absorbed to do CoD, and it's clear A-B cares only for CoD and WoW, maybe Overwatch, but they've shown exactly what they care about the most with their latest moves. Crash is still a possible addition, but it's clear AB sees him as nothing more than a vehicle to make more CoD games to fill their coffers due to CEO greed.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

Yeah, honestly, with how old those plans must be, if it included stuff such as N trilogy which released before Ultimate was even announced, it means the "plans" are older than when Ultimate's DLC planning and negotiations even happened, which they definitely didn't happen prior to 2017, lol. Honestly these "documented plans" just stink to me to that Dante leak we once had, having right info on DMCV and then someone else re posted the leak and mixed in the big lie about Dante coming to Smash, just to troll the heck out of the fans. It's almost like a thing these days, to leak stuff and mix up smash stuff in, just to troll the smash fandom as much as they can because of how gullible it has proven to be. People need to be super careful with these "leaks" out there.

I don't doubt on Crash's chances of being in smash in general (altho I doubt we will get anything HUGE in the last remaining 2 fighters, given how we already got the pass sellers, steve and sephiroth and the next thign we got was Pyra), hell he makes sense to be in smash if he ever joins… but the whole documented "plans" has just way too many red flags for me to even take seriously anymore. I learned my lesson not to trust any leak that likes to include smash alongside non smash related stuff, lol. -cries in Dante-

Also with how Activision is so easily putting aside the fate of both spyro and crash series for the sake of more pew pew content and what not with CoD, I doubt there were any serious "plans" as a project thing or anything for the Crash and Spyro series. The games we got from both series were just individual projects they made on their own purposes, one after the other, not as a big part of anything ambitious planned. That's just how I see it when I compare "the plans" vs how Activision is actually treating these series. It honestly pains me the most when I realize that I might not get the next Spyro game any time soon or ever after just loving what I got with Reignited Trilogy… -sigh-

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Yeah, honestly, with how old those plans must be, if it included stuff such as N trilogy which released before Ultimate was even announced, it means the "plans" are older than when Ultimate's DLC planning and negotiations even happened, which they definitely didn't happen prior to 2017, lol. Honestly these "documented plans" just stink to me to that Dante leak we once had, having right info on DMCV and then someone else re posted the leak and mixed in the big lie about Dante coming to Smash, just to troll the heck out of the fans. It's almost like a thing these days, to leak stuff and mix up smash stuff in, just to troll the smash fandom as much as they can because of how gullible it has proven to be. People need to be super careful with these "leaks" out there.

I don't doubt on Crash's chances of being in smash in general (altho I doubt we will get anything HUGE in the last remaining 2 fighters, given how we already got the pass sellers, steve and sephiroth and the next thign we got was Pyra), hell he makes sense to be in smash if he ever joins… but the whole documented "plans" has just way too many red flags for me to even take seriously anymore. I learned my lesson not to trust any leak that likes to include smash alongside non smash related stuff, lol. -cries in Dante-

Also with how Activision is so easily putting aside the fate of both spyro and crash series for the sake of more pew pew content and what not with CoD, I doubt there were any serious "plans" as a project thing or anything for the Crash and Spyro series. The games we got from both series were just individual projects they made on their own purposes, one after the other, not as a big part of anything ambitious planned. That's just how I see it when I compare "the plans" vs how Activision is actually treating these series. It honestly pains me the most when I realize that I might not get the next Spyro game any time soon or ever after just loving what I got with Reignited Trilogy… -sigh-
The thing with the Crash 5-Year Plan is that it was first brought up a few years ago. It didn't start gaining more attention until about last year around the time Crash 4 came out, when leaks came out about it again with "details" about what was actually written on it, one of which was "Crash for Smash in 2021". The other listings, like Crash N. Sane Trilogy, CTR: Nitro-Fueled, the Crash mobile game, and Crash 4, wound up actually happening. So that started making Crash fans excited that Crash could actually be coming to Smash.

The problem with that? There have been so many leaks that have come out, that had correct information in them for Non-Smash-related stuff, while the things related to Smash they also leaked wound up NOT being true. Like you said, probably because they know fans are GREATLY interested in Smash leaks, so they'd get more attention from them.

I just think the "Crash for Smash" part is just another one of those fake additions that's part of an actual true leak, and people shouldn't put too much stock in the leak because of it, despite what I may of said about it positively over the last several months...

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
It is safe to say that the Smash Speculation is low on fuel for what characters still have a shot or not. Though, a few are saying that challenger 10 might appear on May with challenger 11 on E3.

Honestly, it almost feels like Soul Melter as time is counting down.
2018120222113800-B20FAEC679A3A9320864DC374CFB9713.jpg

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
It is safe to say that the Smash Speculation is low on fuel for what characters still have a shot or not. Though, a few are saying that challenger 10 might appear on May with challenger 11 on E3.

View attachment 313444
I was one of those thinking that 10 could appear in May, simply because of the 2-ish month gap between the fighters as of late (the ones that didn't take ages of development like steve due to stages rework for example). But upon thinking it more, it could very well just be 10 and 11 both being shown at E3 instead, with 10 releasing shortly after in the month and 11 releasing in September or something. I kinda just hope we know both by E3 either way, cause the speculation just gets dumber and way too edgy the less fighters remain to be revealed, lol. I'm one of the few who actually feels it's a relief that there isn't a pass 3 because of that.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I was one of those thinking that 10 could appear in May, simply because of the 2-ish month gap between the fighters as of late (the ones that didn't take ages of development like steve due to stages rework for example). But upon thinking it more, it could very well just be 10 and 11 both being shown at E3 instead, with 10 releasing shortly after in the month and 11 releasing in September or something. I kinda just hope we know both by E3 either way, cause the speculation just gets dumber and way too edgy the less fighters remain to be revealed, lol. I'm one of the few who actually feels it's a relief that there isn't a pass 3 because of that.
Honestly, I'm hoping we don't get a Fighters Pass Vol. 3 too. I can see them doing one last bonus fighter in the vein of Piranha Plant after Fighter Pass Vol. 2 is finished, but I think that will be it. I'm ready to retire from following Smash and Smash speculation, and Ultimate was already the best Smash game ever after Banjo got in, and it just got even better when Joker, Sephiroth, Byleth, Terry, Hero and Pyra/Mythra got in. So this game is the perfect one to retire on, cause it's probably never gonna be this good again. And even Sakurai has said that.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
There is just too much expectations people are setting up as E3 is the heavy hitter for announcements. I can't blame them since Everyone is Here makes them try to get as many popular characters into the Hall of Fame before it is done.
Screenshot_20210407-155108_Video Player.jpg

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
There is just too much expectations people are setting up as E3 is the heavy hitter for announcements. I can't blame them since Everyone is Here makes them try to get as many popular characters into the Hall of Fame before it is done.View attachment 313449
There is the possibility of a reveal before E3 instead of during it. That happened in 2015 when Lucas, Roy and Ryu were all revealed in a Smash 4 presentation 2 days before the Nintendo E3 2015 Direct. But... yeah, I do see what you're talking about.

Dukefire

Smash Master
There is the possibility of a reveal before E3 instead of during it. That happened in 2015 when Lucas, Roy and Ryu were all revealed in a Smash 4 presentation 2 days before the Nintendo E3 2015 Direct. But... yeah, I do see what you're talking about.
Well, we will have to wait for either Tuesday or Wednesday on the second or third week of May to know what announcements are next.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
There is just too much expectations people are setting up as E3 is the heavy hitter for announcements. I can't blame them since Everyone is Here makes them try to get as many popular characters into the Hall of Fame before it is done.View attachment 313449
source on that pic?

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
On an unrelated note, I noticed that LRG Shantae GBC has been pushed back as well. They haven't updated the shipping date from April but it's still listed as being in production.
Despite LRG got their hands on the cartridges a few weeks ago, you would think there would be a heads up regarding the shipping/release dates. Hope we get some info from that eventually.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I mean I personally like to see Shantae as 16, since that fits her energetic and bubbly personality imo better, and in many parts of the world and in usual fantasy worlds that age is considered "adult" age anyway. But to be fair she could easily still be early twenties. To me its like Disney Aladdin, he and Jasmine were basically "adults" despite being 16.
Yeah, that's how I plan to look at this whole thing regarding Shantae's age.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

View attachment 313444
The Smash community is going to get real ugly fast in the upcoming weeks we approach E3 as these last two Fighter's Pass 2 characters will likely be Ultimate's last newcomers.

Top Bottom