• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
This seems to be a 3D 2D side scroller of certs that plays like Shantae and Wario Land. I love it. The art style reminds me of Toriyama's a bit.
The original released in 1994, actually before Wario Land found it's signature style and of course, long before Shantae. I still think the latter pulled more from Demon's Crest than anything.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
No it should be We Love Burning Town
Consider me the oddball that would go with the Pirate's Curse Boss Theme or Barrel-O-Mermaids.

They got that "ta-da" aspect that meshes really well with a reveal. Not to mention their intrinsic nature of bopping beats to beating butts.

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
With whichever song played overall, the first few beats from Dance Through the Danger kicking off the moment she's revealed and the lyrics from that song playing near the end would be pretty hype.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Something that just came to mind now… is that, you know how they include funny bits during gameplay showcase in the reveal trailers right? like for example Ridley being sucked by a metroid, banjo stealing food from sleepy big Ivysaur, etc etc… Well, I was thinking that in part of the Shantae reveal's gameplay bits, they could include her dancing next to the Squid sisters AT while We Love Burning Town is playing in the background during the moves being showed :iwatanod:

jUOZkQH.jpg

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Indie showcase announced for tomorrow. Only news we've had in a while. Probably getting all the indie stuff out of the way and saving all the in house stuff for E3

Dukefire

Smash Master
May is probably another direct. If not, June for the Digital E3 direct showcase. When Indie direct drops, general one isn't far behind in a month away.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
May is probably another direct. If not, June for the Digital E3 direct showcase. When Indie direct drops, general one isn't far behind in a month away.
I was almost going to reply and say that we likely wouldn’t see something so close to E3... but I did a quick fact check before I typed it, and sure enough, we’ve actually had a bunch of late May general directs right before the E3 one in June. 2019, 2017, 2015, 2013... It’s not every single year, but maybe they’ll hold one since there’s still not a ton of information out about this year!

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
We definitely aren't gonna get a general direct after the indie. If anything maybe a Mini to show some stuff that can't wait till E3 to be announced. The big general direct is obviously what we will get at E3.

It could still be Smash reveal of fp10. There's been 2 months gap between simple developed characters such as pyra and sephiroth (the exceptions being min min and steve because they were complex to develop in certain aspects). Fp10 falls nicely as a 2 month after pyra if we consider the reveal from february parallel to a reveal now in april, having the character maybe release the first week of the next month as well, just like pyra, in this case in May. Then you could have FP11 revealed at E3 for a Fall release or something, it could definitely work like that you know. And if the Bonus thing that is rumored because of certain regions' eshop page numbers, then maybe that could be a surprise at E3 alongside FP11, who knows, I don't count on it tho, I'm still not fully convinced in the bonus stuff personally…

It could also be more Zelda news. Whether BOTW2 has a trailer there or not, who knows, it COULD have it there and also at E3 if somehow BOTW2 releases this year and they just start marketing like crazy. OR they could have just other zelda news, such as the TP and WW HD games being ported, and leaving BOTW2 trailer for E3 instead (or even a teaser of the full trailer to be released at E3).

It is definitely cetain that something always happens after an indie, it has been the case for many years now. Either within 1 or 2 weeks from the Indie having aired.

Hopefully we get that Silksong darned release date already, lol

If we're talking a song to play during a potential Shantae reveal trailer, then I'd say "Dance Through the Danger" is an absolute must-have.
I definitely think that song should be at least part of the reveal trailer, it's just too good to not be there, and it's fast paced enough for a fighting game reveal

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, I heard that May generally has bupkis for news, so I'm not expecting anything until E3. Besides, Famicom Detective Club still needs to be released before Ninty are ready to unveil stuff on June.

I'm also not expecting Shantae to be advertised on Indie World at all, as per usual.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Of course, though others I see are still waiting for Hollow Knight Silksong to be announced.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Yeah i just hope there's something i can care about that helps the wait for E3 lol. Smash reveals are either sakurai presents, or mini / regular directs, or events like E3 and TGA so far. Not that i would mind being surprised outside of all that lol but it makes sense they do it on presentations that they know will have larger audiences paying attention for a smash reveal.

Dukefire

Smash Master
With only two slots remaining, it will cause people on the internet to go into overdrive. Nothing new as people wants their character to join the roster, even if they have to step on others to make hope possible.

At this point, I'm going to watch the salt unfold once the next challenger is close to reveal. Of course, we don't know if FP3 is possible as Sakurai said there are only two more opportunities I can do. So, keep hype under control until more official information.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't know about you guys, but I think if Shantae is in they would save her reveal for E3 because the first playable Indie rep ever in Smash would be a big deal.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I don't know about you guys, but I think if Shantae is in they would save her reveal for E3 because the first playable Indie rep ever in Smash would be a big deal.
Definitely!
I feel like I can speak for the three characters in my pfp, they have been requested for so many years and way before smash 4 even. I would be ok with any of the two motoi sakuraba bros (as I call them since they share the same composer lol) + Shantae. They truly feel like the most HONEST pushed characters left in the speculation, since they have been asked for many years now. By honest I mean that they weren't born in speculation from a fake rumor or whatever… I won't point fingers at the many characters out there that were thought for smash thanks to a fake rumor, you know which they are lol.
But yeah, others I don't really see a huge push and for so many years now in comparision, but of course I'm not undermining their wishes or anything, I'm just comparing the amount of years of wanting them that they have versus the ones in my pfp. Really the only character outside of my pfp that had a huge push for years was probably Geno, but we know that's no longer happening in this pass after the mii came out… so yeah.

I hope we get some of them in, it would please a lot of fans and kill the last remaining fan rules… fan rules that purely are based on "Muh precedents" because they haven't happened "yet", which honestly are fan rules that never age well lol, it didn't age well for anti western/banjo naysayers, or ridley naysayers, or even spirit naysayers… let's end this game with all naysayers possible btfo-ed, and most people possible being happy with their most pushed characters, which Shantae certainly is one of them.

I'm already satisfied even if we don't get any of them of course, I got more than I asked for in Ultimate, but i'm just doing a final push on my wishes because… I can lol, since the game is not over yet :p

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Something that just came to mind now… is that, you know how they include funny bits during gameplay showcase in the reveal trailers right? like for example Ridley being sucked by a metroid, banjo stealing food from sleepy big Ivysaur, etc etc… Well, I was thinking that in part of the Shantae reveal's gameplay bits, they could include her dancing next to the Squid sisters AT while We Love Burning Town is playing in the background during the moves being showed :iwatanod:
And having her dig alongside Shovel Knight if she gets the scimitar bounce.

digduo.png

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Skul, Aztech and The Longing were the indies that got my most attention in that indie direct. Better presentation than I expected ngl, usually I don't care for almost anything they usually show, but this time it had some interesting stuff.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I'm a sucker for story driven games so Road 96 looks promising and boy did I flip that Oxenfree got a sequel announced. I love Night School's work.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Shredder's Revenge is heading to the Switch later this year
Getsu Fuma Den, of all things, is getting a sequel
Skul is ready to be released later this Summer
Switch version of Fez without Phil Fish's involvement just came out like today
House of the Dead remake
f8a.jpg

Also, This Is Not A Game: Wrong Dimension seems neat.

That being said, it seems that Hollow Knight is joining the ranks of Shantae and Shovel Knight as the "kids that are too cool to show up in Indie World", so Silksong might show up at E3's direct.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
The turtles game, Aztech, skul, cris, and ender lillies were my favs shown.

And what a shoch no silksong news... i worry guys

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, cuphead's DLC hasn't been brought up for a long while. Then again, designing a game with hand drawn style callback takes a long while.

That said, now we wait for the General Direct coming in a month or two.
Random

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Skul, Aztech, and CrisTales caught my eye the most, but there were a lot of interesting indies this time around! Sometimes the showcases don’t have enough punch but this one seemed to have a lot of interesting titles on display.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, it's that time again, it looks like.

Well, cuphead's DLC hasn't been brought up for a long while. Then again, designing a game with hand drawn style callback takes a long while.

That said, now we wait for the General Direct coming in a month or two.
Random
Plus Cuphead's Delicious Last Course clearly was impacted by outside events, whereas Silksong has had nothing but radio silence so far.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
With the Indie Direct finished, it is back to waiting for major news. Of course, leaks and speculation isn't the best stuff to keep Smash Hype controlled, but good to pass the time.
Screenshot_20210408-173405_Video Player.jpg

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Well, it's that time again, it looks like.

Plus Cuphead's Delicious Last Course clearly was impacted by outside events, whereas Silksong has had nothing but radio silence so far.
LRG retweeted when the new Ninja Turtles game was first revealed. Just like they did when the Scott Pilgrim re-release was announced... They are definitely gonna do the physical version and because it's one of my favorite media franchises ever I will have to get the collector's edition lol

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
LRG retweeted when the new Ninja Turtles game was first revealed. Just like they did when the Scott Pilgrim re-release was announced... They are definitely gonna do the physical version and because it's one of my favorite media franchises ever I will have to get the collector's edition lol
I thought the formal unveiling would have been yesterday, but I guess they have to wait for the solid release date to drop like with Scott Pilgrim.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I thought the formal unveiling would have been yesterday, but I guess they have to wait for the solid release date to drop like with Scott Pilgrim.
It will be interesting to see what kinds of goodies they pack it with. I would love them to make a little arcade cabinet the the Switch screen can slot into so it looks like a little working cabinet... But since it's a multiplatform release I doubt they would do something so cool that only one portion of the customers could take advantage of.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
What is or are your favorite fan model/s of Shantae out there? Mine really isn't Rafaknight's unlike most people consider their favorite… because to me is the face feels far away from relatable to any of the actual game art styles…

For me, my favorite models I've seen out there so far, would be aldo-vargas's model, and zy0n7's model.

Aldo sadly didn't make a version with her original outfit, but just seeing the body proportions and the face, are near perfection of Half Genie Hero style and personally that's how I wish the model looked in Smash…
aldo-vargas-officershantae-render3.jpg

Meanwhile the other model I really liked is zy0n7's, who did a great approach towards Pirate's Curse design (but if I had to pick between the two, I would still go with HGH style, personally).
shantae_by_zy0n7_dd4zukz-fullview.jpg

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
Any reason why the Shantae GB rerelease keyart uses a different Shantae drawing from the original? (While we're on the subject, sheesh, that stomach is ridiculously thin)

Attachments

Last edited:

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Any reason why the Shantae GB rerelease keyart uses a different Shantae drawing from the original? (While we're on the subject, sheesh, that stomach is ridiculously thin)
From the looks of it, they're just trying to throw it under a rug due to it's imperfections.

Which is a pity, it not only shows her seniority but her evolution from humble beginnings. It's got character and the later looks too...hard to describe, synthetic?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
The original artwork definitely matches the personality she showed through her sprites back then, which were quite expressive for a GBC game. I will definitely give it that to the original artwork.

Top Bottom