• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
Bonus Fighter or not something is definitely up...
So now that Nintendo is confirmed to be in this year E3 i honestly don't know what character could be revealed...
Sigh I want it to be Phoenix or Shantae, but are they E3 worth revealing?

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Everyone here is sleeping on one key detail regarding the URL stuff. When PapaGenos tried typing "73" as the last two digits on the URL, it said the page is currently unavailable. However, when he tried typing any other random number, it said the page could not be found. Something is definitely up regarding a bonus Fighter.
I wouldn't say I was sleeping on it, but it's still pretty early to get hyped about a bonus character with 2 more fighters still left in Fighter Pass 2.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Woo! Nintendo's coming to E3! So I imagine that with two fighters left (and we're pretty much guaranteed to see at least one of them revealed during the event), if Nintendo's planning for a Fighter's Pass Vol. 3, that would probably be the time to reveal so!

Dukefire

Smash Master
Looking at characters that are E3 reveal worthy:
Master Chief: to represent the FPS genre and one of gaming history. Though, Microsoft has Banjo & Kazooie and Minecraft.
Crash Bandicoot: hear it many time as the bandicoot himself competed against Sonic and Mario during the console wars. IDK where crash is on business since Activition is a company hard to cooperate.
Doom Slayer: Same as Master Chief for the FPS genre and the Granddad that started it all.
Dante: one of the heavily requested character with the attitude and styles from the Hack N Slash game.

I could name more, but it is confusing to tell who may appear as Sakurai is unpredictable to shatter expectations.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Looking at characters that are E3 reveal worthy:
Master Chief: to represent the FPS genre and one of gaming history. Though, Microsoft has Banjo & Kazooie and Minecraft.
Crash Bandicoot: hear it many time as the bandicoot himself competed against Sonic and Mario during the console wars. IDK where crash is on business since Activition is a company hard to cooperate.
Doom Slayer: Same as Master Chief for the FPS genre and the Granddad that started it all.
Dante: one of the heavily requested character with the attitude and styles from the Hack N Slash game.

I could name more, but it is confusing to tell who may appear as Sakurai is unpredictable to shatter expectations.
You forgot Sora.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Everyone here is sleeping on one key detail regarding the URL stuff. When PapaGenos tried typing "73" as the last two digits on the URL, it said the page is currently unavailable. However, when he tried typing any other random number, it said the page could not be found. Something is definitely up regarding a bonus Fighter.
Yeah, saw that part but it could also just be a standard error message variant since the other choice he did was straight 0’s, maybe something in the way the pages are programmed. But it does have merit as a potential point!

Bonus Fighter or not something is definitely up...
So now that Nintendo is confirmed to be in this year E3 i honestly don't know what character could be revealed...
Sigh I want it to be Phoenix or Shantae, but are they E3 worth revealing?
I’m personally not betting on Shantae this time. Not because of E3 being “too big” for her, but actually due to my personal theory about Lloyd’s Mii costume which I've mentioned before, and now this potential bonus fighter/content.

If this bonus character is announced, it’s almost certain to be a 1st party character due to a third party likely not wanting to give their character away “for free” instead of getting some cut of their DLC sale. And if an indie character like Shantae was announced, maybe a way to pacify the potential outcry of whiners is to say “and by the way, there’s also another fighter you’ll get for free if you bought the pass!”

Just trying to think from the business side of it.

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
Yeah, saw that part but it could also just be a standard error message variant since the other choice he did was straight 0’s, maybe something in the way the pages are programmed. But it does have merit as a potential point!

I’m personally not betting on Shantae this time. Not because of E3 being “too big” for her, but actually due to my personal theory about Lloyd’s Mii costume which I've mentioned before, and now this potential bonus fighter/content.

If this bonus character is announced, it’s almost certain to be a 1st party character due to a third party likely not wanting to give their character away “for free” instead of getting some cut of their DLC sale. And if an indie character like Shantae was announced, maybe a way to pacify the potential outcry of whiners is to say “and by the way, there’s also another fighter you’ll get for free if you bought the pass!”

Just trying to think from the business side of it.
Well, yeah. Obviously if they do a Bonus Character it's got to be a First Party from an already represented series. Heck, they could even upgrade one of the Assist Trophies. But i feel like it's more probable that it is a Bonus Stage or something like that.
Also Lloyd... I honestly wouldn't bet on him. They just could be saving the Costume for later, we already saw what happened to Geno.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
It kinda feels like Lloyd is bound to return as a Mii at this point, considering the returning Miis in the DLC season like Geno and the Monster Hunter characters.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Also Lloyd... I honestly wouldn't bet on him. They just could be saving the Costume for later, we already saw what happened to Geno.
No, that’s what I mean; I’m not betting on Lloyd being playable, I’m betting that his Mii costume will show up with the next character.

The theory I have is based on the fact that once Lloyd’s Mii costume arrives, there are no more Mii costumes to pull from Smash 4. Every DLC fighter has had a smash 4 costume come back with them (except Hero since I guess Square Enix didn’t want any non Square costumes with their character, and talks wouldn’t let Geno back yet or maybe Sephiroth talks were already in the works). Which means if Lloyd comes with the Miis in the second to last character’s bundle, the last Fighters Pass character will have only new Mii fighters come with it.

Which to me, coupled with the lack of Indie Mii fighters with music tracks this pass despite the overwhelmingly positive reception to them, makes it seem possible the final character could come with a whole host of indie Miis and music. And the character they come alongside being an indie character at that. AKA Shantae.

Last edited:

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
But Sora's owned by Disney, not Square Enix, so that shouldn't be a problem.
The thing is that last year, Disney reportedly blocked usage of Sora in Smash. Later, after Sephiroth was revealed, it was then rumoured that Sora was considered but negotiations fell flat, likely due to Disney's interference. We may never be seeing Sora in Smash, not even as a Mii.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Whatever it is, best to slowly walk until the event arrives as any character still has a chance (regardless how high or low the possibility.) Who knows, the one character under everyone's nose may get the last laugh.

Just be wary of the evidence about the selected character and the company if possible negotiations happen years ago.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
The thing is that last year, Disney reportedly blocked usage of Sora in Smash. Later, after Sephiroth was revealed, it was then rumoured that Sora was considered but negotiations fell flat, likely due to Disney's interference. We may never be seeing Sora in Smash, not even as a Mii.
Pretty sure those were debunked as the source was just a streamer who was giving his personal opinion, and people took that as fact.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well, I just got a email that Limited Run will be shipping the standard editions for Shantae soon and that if I wanted to change my shipping address, I should change it by tomorrow.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Pretty sure those were debunked as the source was just a streamer who was giving his personal opinion, and people took that as fact.
And here's the video from Youtuber HMK explaining the situation:

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
And here's the video from Youtuber HMK explaining the situation:

Even so, I still feel like Sora won't get in because Disney is stingy with their IPs from what I've heard. Plus under Disney's ownership, Kingdom Hearts is technically a fourth party video game franchise.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just a quick thought for food. What do you think about Amaterasu's chances from Okami? I know it is an old series, but beloved for its charm and story.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Just a quick thought for food. What do you think about Amaterasu's chances from Okami? I know it is an old series, but beloved for its charm and story.
Even tho I feel that the dog to cat ratio in Smash is already out of whack (5 dogs to 2ish cats depending on how you treat Mewtwo) I would still very much welcome Ami into the cast. A rep from a phenomenal game who would provide a lot of variety with both her moveset and her body type.

How likely she is... is harder to say. Capcom haven't done much with her, but I don;t think that because they don't see her as profitable, more that they are content with what she has done and don't see a need to shoe horn her in when they don't have an idea for her that wouldn't detract from the original game's legacy.

I could see her being a character Sakurai would want to do, but that would depends on if Nintendo wants to include her and if Capcom wants to give her the spot over promoting something other than one of the 3 or 4 franchises they still actively support.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Nice pick from Capcom. The only issue is all the competition within it's parent company. Well, that and things like the Monster Hunter and Arthur Miis would of probably been saved for it.

But hey, if it's your most wanted. It's your most wanted, definitely don't give up support because of the odds. Even if one thinks they're disconfirmed now doesn't mean they're disconfirmed forever. After all, no one really knows when they're reconsidering the choices for the next batch or even the next game.

By the time we catch wind of it, they've already got their lineup blueprint plans locked away tighter than a peanut butter jar in a squirrel convention.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So with what I heard from the email yesterday, the standard edition Shantae copies from Limited Run should probably be shipping sometime this week or the next. It's coming REALLY soon.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Oh wow! We're getting another new Spirit Event this weekend for Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury! It's not often we get two new spirit events back-to-back!
Speaking of Mario themed Spirit Events, it is still very damn suspicious that we haven't gotten a Luigi's Mansion 3 Spirit Event yet after a year and a half after it's release.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Speaking of Mario themed Spirit Events, it is still very damn suspicious that we haven't gotten a Luigi's Mansion 3 Spirit Event yet after a year and a half after it's release.
What, do you think we're getting Gooigi as a fighter or something?

They probably just didn't see a point in doing one.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
What, do you think we're getting Gooigi as a fighter or something?

They probably just didn't see a point in doing one.
Most likely because the most important things in that game - The Poltergust, King Boo, E Gadd, and Polterpup - are already spirits. I suppose you could add Helen Gravely, Gooigi, and Polterkitty, but maybe they just didn’t see the need to.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. I actually made King Boo in Smash template from thinking about King Boo in Smash for fun. That’ll give him a main reason which it’s about more Luigi’s Mansion love. Hellen Gravely makes sense being a Legend spirit. Even getting more Luigi’s Mansion musics but mostly they would be from Luigi’s Mansion 3.

Last edited:

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Oh wow! We're getting another new Spirit Event this weekend for Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury! It's not often we get two new spirit events back-to-back!
Sweet!

I can't participate in tourneys even if I'm wired. The only service available to me is that god awful. So I'm entirely inactive as far as actually playing goes until new content arrives.

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
It's good to see this thread still going strong with new and old supporters. I know it's been a while since I said any form of hello, but I'm still rooting for Shantae in the backseat, and always will. I have my doubts of her coming into smash ultimate, yet I still have hope she'll one day join smash.
I'm pretty happy with smash at the moment, so honestly anyone joining is fine by me at this point.

Cheers everyone, and stay safe out there.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
It's good to see this thread still going strong with new and old supporters. I know it's been a while since I said any form of hello, but I'm still rooting for Shantae in the backseat, and always will. I have my doubts of her coming into smash ultimate, yet I still have hope she'll one day join smash.
I'm pretty happy with smash at the moment, so honestly anyone joining is fine by me at this point.

Thanks. It means a lot.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I don't know who you're, but it's nice to see you man. And I too hope Shantae makes it into Smash someday which I think she will. She's inevitable at some point I believe.

Last edited:

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
I don't know who you're, but it's nice to see you man. And I too hope Shantae makes it into Smash someday which I think she will. She's inevitable at some point I believe.
Yeah, I was mostly a lurker but I did post a bit in this thread. I was here watching that Geno Saga unfold until his unfortunate end even if I didn't post in that thread like at all, sorry about that by the way, woulda loved to have Geno man.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Yeah, I was mostly a lurker but I did post a bit in this thread. I was here watching that Geno Saga unfold until his unfortunate end even if I didn't post in that thread like at all, sorry about that by the way, woulda loved to have Geno man.
I'm still gonna keep the tinfoil hat on, even if it'd fit better to have a more stereotypical tinfoil lol
I'd say you and I are on the same page, mostly of the lurker types, sometimes coming in and posting, though that's mostly because there isn't a lot of news left, just false speculations and salty tears.

zferolie

Smash Hero
gonna be honest i don't think whoever is revealed at E3 was picked for the fighters pass because they were E3 worthy. Anything can happen at E3, and I don't think Sakurai cares for "hype" e3 reveals.

Personally I still feel 4-5 characters are likely. Shantae, Reimu, Crash, Ryu, and a Tales of Rep.

ah, I forgot to share this shantae fanart i just found. And amazing alt outfit for her

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:
Top Bottom