• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
I worry that a lot of those titles will be spilt up if they do release them all. I see Ocarina and Majora being sold together and Wind Waker and Twilight Princess both being sold separately.
I'm a bit skeptical of it too.

But hey, Collector's Edition for the Gamecube had Zelda games from the NES and N64 along with a demo of Wind Waker. Granted, oddly no A Link to the Past.

I say the N64 duo and GCN's could be packed onto one cartridge. It'd probably be easier than 3D All-Stars due to no need for Wii emulation.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I'm a bit skeptical of it too.

But hey, Collector's Edition for the Gamecube had Zelda games from the NES and N64 along with a demo of Wind Waker. Granted, oddly no A Link to the Past.

I say the N64 duo and GCN's could be packed onto one cartridge. It'd probably be easier than 3D All-Stars due to no need for Wii emulation.
It could be done, but that doesn't mean it will be. Don't forget that this is the same Nintendo that sold a port of Tropical Freeze for a higher price on the Switch than they did for when it was brand new on the Wii U. The fact that all these Zelda games would be enhanced versions of their originals, while the three Mario games were all direct ports means that Nintendo has some leverage to make more money with them. Also since all the remakes were made from different dev teams, could be all the more reason to split them up.

We will Likely get HD versions of the 3DS Ocarina and Majora remakes (that would explain what Grezzo has been up to) them we will either get WW and TP in one cart (unlikely in my opinion) Or both will be sold separately, possibly at a $49.99 each instead of the standard $59.99

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
It could be done, but that doesn't mean it will be. Don't forget that this is the same Nintendo that sold a port of Tropical Freeze for a higher price on the Switch than they did for when it was brand new on the Wii U. The fact that all these Zelda games would be enhanced versions of their originals, while the three Mario games were all direct ports means that Nintendo has some leverage to make more money with them. Also since all the remakes were made from different dev teams, could be all the more reason to split them up.

We will Likely get HD versions of the 3DS Ocarina and Majora remakes (that would explain what Grezzo has been up to) them we will either get WW and TP in one cart (unlikely in my opinion) Or both will be sold separately, possibly at a $49.99 each instead of the standard $59.99
I guess splitting up a potential Ocarina of Time HD and Majora's Mask HD, and Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD into 2 collections would be fine. At this point I just want to get all 4 games since their amongst my all-time favorite games, and I don't have their original versions anymore. Though I would prefer all 4 games on one game cartridge/collection, and I think Nintendo has the ability to do that. I just don't know if they WILL.

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I hope we get a Zelda 3D All Stars. I'm already excited for Skyward Sword HD, but if we get a collection that comes with say, Ocarina of Time 3D, Majora's Mask 3D, Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD, that would just make all of my dreams come true!
I sadly don't think we'll be seeing that, namely because of Skyward Sword. People are already complaining that the game is going to be 60 bucks, and its one of the most divisive Zelda games around (team "skyward sword is good you guys are just mean" represent) which is definitely reflected in its sales. Do you really think they would want 4 of the MOST acclaimed games in the series, in a single package, competing on the market with it?

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I just got me Bladed Fury and Runbow the other day and I plan to go through them sometime this week or the next whenever I have the time. Has anyone here played Runbow yet? I ask because it has Shantae in it and I figured some of you have already played it.
I played Runbow a lot on the Wii U. I actually 100%'d all of the content I found it so fun. Definitely play it with a group of friends though if you get the chance because the shenanigans can be very enjoyable.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I did play runbow on switch, but once I was done facing the final boss and cutscene (I didn't 100% the grid yet). The game just froze on the black screen. IDK why.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I sadly don't think we'll be seeing that, namely because of Skyward Sword. People are already complaining that the game is going to be 60 bucks, and its one of the most divisive Zelda games around (team "skyward sword is good you guys are just mean" represent) which is definitely reflected in its sales. Do you really think they would want 4 of the MOST acclaimed games in the series, in a single package, competing on the market with it?
Unless they hold off on releasing it until after Skyward Sword HD releases 😊

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
While it isn’t directly Shantae related, I wanted to put my 2 cents in on what seems to be the newest up and coming rumor-

While I never put stock in leaks or “insider knowledge”, this sort of observation is definitely worth looking into. In case you can’t view the video or are in a place where you can’t have sound on, to summarize -

Internal files on Nintendo’s sites have codes with them for organizations sake. FP1 had 7 sequential numbers for it - one for Plant, then Joker, Hero, Banjo, Terry, Byleth, AND Rex’s Mii costume.

FP2 has the same thing, but there’s actually 8 codes. Min Min, Steve, Sephiroth, Pyra/Mythra share one, next fighter, final known fighter... but then there’s an unused number, followed right after by the Ancient Armor Mii Costume.

So people are speculating there may be a bonus “free character” along the lines of how Plant was a free bonus with FP1 before becoming separate DLC.

If this ends up being true? I’m almost certain it would have to be a Nintendo owned character, because a third party likely wouldn’t agree to a free release. And if you ask me, it’s likely to be a character that some people would be hype over but also might not be a full DLC-system seller. So I’m placing bets on if it’s real, we’re seeing Bandana Dee or Waluigi sneaks in at the very last second in a crazy upset.

As for how this relates to Shantae? I’m not so sure. Though, I do think it could tie into the final fighter pick being an indie character since Smash seems keen on giving Indies extra value to be more enticing since they technically have a smaller reach (as least compared to massive AAA characters), hence why Sans and Cuphead came with music tracks unlike any other mii. So having a bonus character announced at the same time as a character like Shantae that wouldn’t spark ire but might get a few people who don’t know her to be happier with the announcement. Buuuut this is all getting tinfoil hat level now.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I forgot what type of thread is it. Can you give me a refresher?
It’s the Shantae support thread. But like any thread that gets big enough it just kinda becomes a social thread for news and speculation around Smash, and as long as it vaguely can tie back to supporting Shantae or discussing her chances it generally goes here.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Also uhh Dlly's thing on the first page should be removed since they're arent dead lol. it reads like a farewell to a passed away user but he's still around, that was made in error.

Here is oldest thread for Shantae on this site. Jun 21st, 2007

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
While it isn’t directly Shantae related, I wanted to put my 2 cents in on what seems to be the newest up and coming rumor-

While I never put stock in leaks or “insider knowledge”, this sort of observation is definitely worth looking into. In case you can’t view the video or are in a place where you can’t have sound on, to summarize -

Internal files on Nintendo’s sites have codes with them for organizations sake. FP1 had 7 sequential numbers for it - one for Plant, then Joker, Hero, Banjo, Terry, Byleth, AND Rex’s Mii costume.

FP2 has the same thing, but there’s actually 8 codes. Min Min, Steve, Sephiroth, Pyra/Mythra share one, next fighter, final known fighter... but then there’s an unused number, followed right after by the Ancient Armor Mii Costume.

So people are speculating there may be a bonus “free character” along the lines of how Plant was a free bonus with FP1 before becoming separate DLC.

If this ends up being true? I’m almost certain it would have to be a Nintendo owned character, because a third party likely wouldn’t agree to a free release. And if you ask me, it’s likely to be a character that some people would be hype over but also might not be a full DLC-system seller. So I’m placing bets on if it’s real, we’re seeing Bandana Dee or Waluigi sneaks in at the very last second in a crazy upset.

As for how this relates to Shantae? I’m not so sure. Though, I do think it could tie into the final fighter pick being an indie character since Smash seems keen on giving Indies extra value to be more enticing since they technically have a smaller reach (as least compared to massive AAA characters), hence why Sans and Cuphead came with music tracks unlike any other mii. So having a bonus character announced at the same time as a character like Shantae that wouldn’t spark ire but might get a few people who don’t know her to be happier with the announcement. Buuuut this is all getting tinfoil hat level now.
I watched a Papagenos video covering this very topic earlier. And I agree that if this is real then it's likely gonna be a Nintendo character too. But the only other Nintendo character I can see being added now is Porky. I truly believe Pokemon Sword and Shield, as well as more Zelda characters are out due to their respective spirit events, and Waluigi is already an Assist Trophy that I don't see being upgraded, whereas Porky is STILL completely missing from the game, and it just doesn't feel right that he is. Also, I don't see him coming in a Challenger Pack since Mother's got plenty of stages, music and spirits in Ultimate already, and Porky being a bonus character would mean they don't have to worry about that to add him in.

Plus, it would be another villain added to the game, which is always cool 👍 And he'd probably being fighting in that spider-mech from Earthbound, which could make for some interesting gameplay.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I watched a Papagenos video covering this very topic earlier. And I agree that if this is real then it's likely gonna be a Nintendo character too. But the only other Nintendo character I can see being added now is Porky. I truly believe Pokemon Sword and Shield, as well as more Zelda characters are out due to their respective spirit events, and Waluigi is already an Assist Trophy that I don't see being upgraded, whereas Porky is STILL completely missing from the game, and it just doesn't feel right that he is. Also, I don't see him coming in a Challenger Pack since Mother's got plenty of stages, music and spirits in Ultimate already, and Porky being a bonus character would mean they don't have to worry about that to add him in.

Plus, it would be another villain added to the game, which is always cool 👍 And he'd probably being fighting in that spider-mech from Earthbound, which could make for some interesting gameplay.
I wouldn’t count pokemon out yet - Zelda doesn’t have any more MAJOR characters to add (aside from Tingle but most people aren’t ready to accept that), but having a spirit event isn’t a big deal for a first party series. It usually is a death sentence for a new third party (after all, why go through the rights negotiations to use their IP for spirits when you could hold off for a character, doing it early both wastes money on needing to do another rights dealing and spoils the surprise of the franchise’s inclusion), but first parties Nintendo can always just... add more. Especially with Pokemon, they added what, 4 spirits that include 7 of the 80+ new Pokemon this gen? However, I would say that making a Pokemon this hypothetical “free bonus” character would be unlikely just because... it’s The Pokemon Company. They charge you a yearly fee to store less than 10MB of data. They wouldnt let their brand new smash character be a free extra.

That said I wholly agree Porky is another possibility. A character that might not get enough press due to being from a Smash-existing series, and one that isn’t directly relevant, but people would still be happy to get as a bonus character. Totally agree.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I truly believe Pokemon Sword and Shield, as well as more Zelda characters are out due to their respective spirit events, and Waluigi is already an Assist Trophy that I don't see being upgraded, whereas Porky is STILL completely missing from the game, and it just doesn't feel right that he is.
I think the joke was that he was in the Absolutely Safe Capsule and represented by that Spirit.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
As explained in Mother 3

It is AN ABSOULOUTLY SAFE capsule. He can get it, but he can never get out.

Pretty much porky is stuck forever as an immortal person from time travel

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Well, they also used a fanmade version of the Masked Man sprite, so it could have just been an oversight.
Huuuuuuuh. I guess? Granted I know next to nothing about the Mother franchise aside from doing a little history on Porky. I guess it would explain why the ASC is a Legend-Class spirit if Porky is indeed stuck inside it.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I hope we get a Zelda 3D All Stars. I'm already excited for Skyward Sword HD, but if we get a collection that comes with say, Ocarina of Time 3D, Majora's Mask 3D, Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD, that would just make all of my dreams come true!
As much as I would like for all the 3D Zelda games to be in one collection, realistically, I don't think it's happening. At most, they will probably only put 3 on there like Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess similar to what they did for Mario 3D All-Stars. Think of it like Nintendo seeing us pay $20 bucks for each game. It sucks as all the 3D games should be in this cert of collection, but they skipped over Super Mario Galaxy 2, 3D Land and 3D World for 3D All-Stars so they will definitely skip over a few of the 3D Zeldas as well for it's 3D collection.

FemMain26

Smash Apprentice
If we do get a bonus fighter after Challenger Pack 11 i can see it happen. I also believe it will a Nintendo owned character either a well-known character like Dixie Kong or a Retro era character like Ayumi Tachibana.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
As much as I would like for all the 3D Zelda games to be in one collection, realistically, I don't think it's happening. At most, they will probably only put 3 on there like Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess similar to what they did for Mario 3D All-Stars. Think of it like Nintendo seeing us pay $20 bucks for each game. It sucks as all the 3D games should be in this cert of collection, but they skipped over Super Mario Galaxy 2, 3D Land and 3D World for 3D All-Stars so they will definitely skip over a few of the 3D Zeldas as well for it's 3D collection.
I suppose that is true. Granted I could get over Majora's Mask being cut from a potential 3D Zelda collection if it just had Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, but still, I'd love to see all 4 games on one cartridge collection. And like I said earlier, I think Nintendo has the ability to do it. I just hope they'd be willing to do it.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I honestly don't see them releasing straight ports or the original games when everyone knows that better(arguably), updated versions of each game exists. First we have to remember that Nintendo loves porting any worthwhile Wii U game to the Switch. Even Wii U games that did well could have done better with a wider audience to sell to, and all the work is already done so if WW and TP come to the Switch it will certainly be the HD versions. So they won't sell those as well as the non HD version, so direct ports of the Gamecube versions I just don't see happening.

That would leave only Ocarina from your proposed collection. They don't have a virtual console anymore, so it would be odd for them to this time sell one N64 game. Now, that could mean that N64 games are about to come to NSO and Ocarina and Majora will eventually be on there, but I only see that being the case if Nintendo isn't going to do a Zelda 35th celebration similar to what they did for Mario. If they do have something like that planned, they will want things to sell.

Like I said, we have no clue what Grezzo has been up to since they finished Link's Awakening. The time between then and now wouldn;t be enough for a full new game (or new remake) but it would have been enough time for them for them to update the 2 3DS remakes they made to present them in HD on the switch (and hopefully fix some of the changes they made to Majora to make it more like the original) They could then sell those two in a bundle for the full $59.99 which would seem more like a bargain since they would be enhanced to HD and it would be two games that originally would have cost $80 together.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Miitopia.
Eww, really? That's... That's very disappointing. But it would mean that they are working on updating 3DS games to be presentable in HD on the Switch. Doesn't nix the chances of Ocarina and Majora's Mask HD, but it keeps them from being a sure thing...

Dukefire

Smash Master
I just wonder how Dillon's Rolling Western series would handle the transition if more 3DS titles are coming?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I suppose that is true. Granted I could get over Majora's Mask being cut from a potential 3D Zelda collection if it just had Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, but still, I'd love to see all 4 games on one cartridge collection. And like I said earlier, I think Nintendo has the ability to do it. I just hope they'd be willing to do it.
Same. I especially hope they add Majora's Mask to the collection as it is my favorite Zelda game.

I honestly don't see them releasing straight ports or the original games when everyone knows that better(arguably), updated versions of each game exists. First we have to remember that Nintendo loves porting any worthwhile Wii U game to the Switch. Even Wii U games that did well could have done better with a wider audience to sell to, and all the work is already done so if WW and TP come to the Switch it will certainly be the HD versions. So they won't sell those as well as the non HD version, so direct ports of the Gamecube versions I just don't see happening.

That would leave only Ocarina from your proposed collection. They don't have a virtual console anymore, so it would be odd for them to this time sell one N64 game. Now, that could mean that N64 games are about to come to NSO and Ocarina and Majora will eventually be on there, but I only see that being the case if Nintendo isn't going to do a Zelda 35th celebration similar to what they did for Mario. If they do have something like that planned, they will want things to sell.

Like I said, we have no clue what Grezzo has been up to since they finished Link's Awakening. The time between then and now wouldn;t be enough for a full new game (or new remake) but it would have been enough time for them for them to update the 2 3DS remakes they made to present them in HD on the switch (and hopefully fix some of the changes they made to Majora to make it more like the original) They could then sell those two in a bundle for the full $59.99 which would seem more like a bargain since they would be enhanced to HD and it would be two games that originally would have cost $80 together.
Obviously, like you said, they would port over the HD Wii U ports of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess to the 3D Switch collection and port over the GCN version of Ocarina of Time in 1080p to the collection as well.

Reason I said GCN for Ocarina of Time is because all ports of the game are the GCN version as the original N64 version had the Islamic moon crescent on the Mirror Shield and all the Gerudo blocks and architecture. They completely edited that symbol out with something more original in the GCN and have stayed with symbol since for the Gerudo crest.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

When it gets to the point that unused content gets a spotlight, it's clear that they're stalling for something, whatever it may be.

Dukefire

Smash Master
If they are waiting for E3 on a big project, I do somewhat understand.
However, Wayfoward doesn't take part of E3 as the previous years proves that they bring announcements on their terms.

I do think about the GBC shantae's release somewhere in April.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
If they are waiting for E3 on a big project, I do somewhat understand.
However, Wayfoward doesn't take part of E3 as the previous years proves that they bring announcements on their terms.

I do think about the GBC shantae's release somewhere in April.
So if we get to May and no info still, something is up.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
E3 is officially happening!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Interesting to note that Sony and EA seemingly won’t join in on it and might just host their own conferences despite this E3 being digital only anyway... yet Nintendo which has been doing digital only presentations for years now is backing it. Here’s hoping we see our next Smash rep in June in addition to a load of new games!

Dukefire

Smash Master
I think it is only a single character appearing there. A double reveal isn't possible with ONLY two slots remaining. Now who is coming, it's anyone's guess and a sleeper or obvious pick isn't a guarantee.
Screenshot_20210304-083604_YouTube.jpg

Though, if one more pass is coming, E3 may be the event.
Still, I doubt that announcement may come.

Last edited:

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Everyone here is sleeping on one key detail regarding the URL stuff. When PapaGenos tried typing "73" as the last two digits on the URL, it said the page is currently unavailable. However, when he tried typing any other random number, it said the page could not be found. Something is definitely up regarding a bonus Fighter.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Everyone here is sleeping on one key detail regarding the URL stuff. When PapaGenos tried typing "73" as the last two digits on the URL, it said the page is currently unavailable. However, when he tried typing any other random number, it said the page could not be found. Something is definitely up regarding a bonus Fighter.
My initial thought was that the final character would come with an echo of themselves ( which would be that number 73 ). Crash with Coco for instance.

Top Bottom