• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
SoupCanMafia SoupCanMafia Well, there are ways to fix the drift by yourself right now.
Unfortunately, that voids your warranty, which is kinda BS.

BTW: It's hilarious that Sony's controllers have the exact same problems now and they're facing a lawsuit because of it.
I've also heard Pro Controllers are also susceptible to drift, though I hadn't gotten any problems with mine.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You all remember how Risky Boots was guarding King K. Rool on a sunken ship in the Mysterious Dimension? Mythra was actually doing the same thing for Palutena in the final battle.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
You all remember how Risky Boots was guarding King K. Rool on a sunken ship in the Mysterious Dimension? Mythra was actually doing the same thing for Palutena in the final battle.
Ahhh....neat.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I hope Mii costumes first is the new format. Get the pain over with. I'm ready.
Maybe one day Sakurai will learn that next to nobody appreciates Costumes, Assist Trophies and background characters.
I know the guy is trying is best and don't get me wrong, it IS worth appreciating.
But sadly, to most people, only playable characters matter. Every other form of character representaton is negatively received.

It might just be the case of a very different mindset. The classic disconnect between artist and consumer.
And I know he does these things, believing it'd do fans justice. Which apparently it doesn't, sadly.
I know he is the artist, but it really wouldn't hurt, if he'd learn to read the room a little more.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
i think we will only see a new console when nintendo finds something that changes gaming or is unique, as tends to be their motive. With Switch still selling super well, i'm sure they will take their time for a new way of play console.

I could still see a switch pro at some point though, but wish it may just be a new base that powers up the system, so I don't need to buy a full new system. Think of it like a N64 DD like think they almost did in the past.
I really wouldn't see the point of a Switch Disk Drive outside of it being a bigger processing attachment as the Switch has online play, DLC, ect, ect. Basically everything the N64DD was promised to have the Switch is capable off so there's no point in a Disk Drive anymore.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Maybe one day Sakurai will learn that next to nobody appreciates Costumes, Assist Trophies and background characters.
I know the guy is trying is best and don't get me wrong, it IS worth appreciating.
But sadly, to most people, only playable characters matter. Every other form of character representaton is negatively received.

It might just be the case of a very different mindset. The classic disconnect between artist and consumer.
And I know he does these things, believing it'd do fans justice. Which apparently it doesn't, sadly.
I know he is the artist, but it really wouldn't hurt, if he'd learn to read the room a little more.
So you'd rather he give them false hope based on some fan rules they made up, because apparently nothing is better than something?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I really wouldn't see the point of a Switch Disk Drive outside of it being a bigger processing attachment as the Switch has online play, DLC, ect, ect. Basically everything the N64DD was promised to have the Switch is capable off so there's no point in a Disk Drive anymore.
Ok a disk drive was a bad example. I wasnt trying to say the new dock had a game slot. I mean that a new dock powered up the switch in general, beefing it up without having to buy a whole new 300 dollar system.

That would mean though that its only more powerful while docked, but i feel ita undocked capacity is fine how it is

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman

I don't really agree with the people who don't appreciate non-playable character content because I love all of it. Do I wish all those assist trophies and Mii costumes were fighters? Of course! But I'm very accepting of what we get instead. Sometimes, I wish they went even further, such as Geno and Goemon getting the deluxe costume treatment, which fans have proven possible through modding. I would much rather get something than nothing at all because at least I know someone on the development team cared in some capacity. I wish some of my most obscure wants had any kind of recognition in Smash, or more recognition than they currently have. Bring back the Ray MK III assist trophy! Why the hell is there no Sceptile spirit!? Can I get a Viewtiful Joe Mii costume, please!? Even though he's not playable, I'm thoroughly impressed Bomberman got basically everything you'd expect from a series without a playable fighter, and I'm enjoying it as much as possible, especially that Mii costume.

My earlier comment is just me grieving about the absence of the Lloyd Irving costume. Lloyd is one of my most wanted characters, but I never expected him to be playable, and the longer I wait on his costume, the more anxious I get. I just want the costume back. I've wanted the costume back since the base game because it was my favorite Swordfighter costume in Smash 4. It's driving me crazy how long I have to wait for it, and all it's doing is making other fans of the character desperate that he might be playable, and that's frustrated for me because I don't want to believe it. I don't want to get my hopes up. Just give me my damn costume already!

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I know I'm a bit late to the party but I think it's entirely possible that we either get a Pass 3, Standalone individual character DLC, or nothing at all. I'd say 20%-20%-60% respectively if I had to weight it. (Of course these numbers are 100% made up, hah, just opinions.) I could see a 3 or 4 character Pass 3 that has some 1st party choices and a 3rd party or two. Could also see a few standalone DLC of characters that have representation already, like Dixie Kong or Waluigi or something, where adding music, stage, and spirits might not make as much sense. Or add a character and stage like Cloud was in Smash 4.

So I dunno, I feel like after this season pass, it might also be finished. I'm all about "more is more" with Ultimate, it's truly a phenomenal game for me and after 11000+ matches online I still love playing it. I also think the dev team has done more than enough with the content, if they wanted to stop now. Part of me thinks that Smash DLC is basically printing free money though, so it wouldn't surprise me if there was some sort of continued DLC. Though, when Pass 2 is said and done, the game will have been out for 3 years, which is a reasonable time to stop future development.

I don't think we'll necessarily know which of the three scenarios we'll see at the Pyra and Mythra presentation. I could see them announcing their continued / discontinued DLC plans after FP11 just as easily in Summer / Fall or whenever that wraps up.

Part of me will be happy when all of the content is released because speculation for 3 years is a bit much, but again, for me with Ultimate, more is more, and I've liked every bit of DLC so far.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I don't really agree with the people who don't appreciate non-playable character content because I love all of it. Do I wish all those assist trophies and Mii costumes were fighters? Of course! But I'm very accepting of what we get instead. Sometimes, I wish they went even further, such as Geno and Goemon getting the deluxe costume treatment, which fans have proven possible through modding. I would much rather get something than nothing at all because at least I know someone on the development team cared in some capacity. I wish some of my most obscure wants had any kind of recognition in Smash, or more recognition than they currently have. Bring back the Ray MK III assist trophy! Why the hell is there no Sceptile spirit!? Can I get a Viewtiful Joe Mii costume, please!? Even though he's not playable, I'm thoroughly impressed Bomberman got basically everything you'd expect from a series without a playable fighter, and I'm enjoying it as much as possible, especially that Mii costume.

My earlier comment is just me grieving about the absence of the Lloyd Irving costume. Lloyd is one of my most wanted characters, but I never expected him to be playable, and the longer I wait on his costume, the more anxious I get. I just want the costume back. I've wanted the costume back since the base game because it was my favorite Swordfighter costume in Smash 4. It's driving me crazy how long I have to wait for it, and all it's doing is making other fans of the character desperate that he might be playable, and that's frustrated for me because I don't want to believe it. I don't want to get my hopes up. Just give me my damn costume already!
I never said these things aren't worth appreciating. They are.
I know these types of representation show that the devs cared.
And I commend your open-minded attitude about it.

But unfortunately, guys like us are in the minority.
Most people seem to think that Assist Trophies, MII Costumes and even Trophies/Spirits are just a spit in the face and a waste of time and resources.
As it stands, the majority would gladly have all these things abolished, in exchange for a few more playable characters.

So I dunno, I feel like after this season pass, it might also be finished. I'm all about "more is more" with Ultimate, it's truly a phenomenal game for me and after 11000+ matches online I still love playing it. I also think the dev team has done more than enough with the content, if they wanted to stop now. Part of me thinks that Smash DLC is basically printing free money though, so it wouldn't surprise me if there was some sort of continued DLC. Though, when Pass 2 is said and done, the game will have been out for 3 years, which is a reasonable time to stop future development.
Provided the corporate overlords are fine with stopping.
And Sakurai doesn't strike me as a guy who would ever stop, as long as there are possibilities left to improve the franchise.

Again, I bring up Splatoon 3.
The fact that they release that game also on the Switch now strongly suggests that the Switch has not yet reached the end of its lifespan.
That it still has a meaningful amount of time left. Else, they would've kept Splatoon 3 for the next console.

Part of me will be happy when all of the content is released because speculation for 3 years is a bit much, but again, for me with Ultimate, more is more, and I've liked every bit of DLC so far.
Speculation is something you've brought upon yourself. You alone are responsible.
It's ridiculous to make fan-speculation of all things, the deciding factor as to whether or not DLC should continue.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I never said these things aren't worth appreciating. They are.
I know these types of representation show that the devs cared.
And I commend your open-minded attitude about it.

But unfortunately, guys like us are in the minority.
Most people seem to think that Assist Trophies, MII Costumes and even Trophies/Spirits are just a spit in the face and a waste of time and resources.
As it stands, the majority would gladly have all these things abolished, in exchange for a few more playable characters.
Nobody online is "the majority". People that are happy with things just don't feel the need to repeat themselves.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Im posting this fake leak cause I found it hilarious. It lists quite few unrelated to Smash stuff, but the Smash stuff it DOES list says a like Newish game titled Super Smash Bros. 100 and for SOME reason, Snake, Megaman, Simon, Richter, Ryu, Ken, Banjo & Kazooie, Terry, Steve, Joker and Hero aren't in ( and we know this wasnt a mistake as text in the fake leak states "some fighters forgot their invitations" so this was apparently intentional!

oh but Cloud, Sephiroth and Tifa from FF make it back in but not easy to get Megaman and Ryu, Terry, Joker or B&K. Good News if it reality decides to break and this leak becomes true Shantae is in! lol.

Fake Nintendo and Smash Leak Feb 22 2021 part 1.jpg

Fake_Nintendo_and_Smash_Leak_Feb_22_2021_part_2_character_list_50.jpg

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
With the size of the roster (and it's still getting bigger every few months), there isn't a part of the internet that's a majority.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Since we are back to the "2 Fighters every month" format after a 4 month hiatus between Min-Min and Steve, I wonder how Masahiro Sakurai will live up to his promise to conclude on December 31st. He either does that or breaks his plans and instead releases the final Challenger Pack earlier than promised. Even if he does so, Fighters Pass 2 can still carry on with Spirit Events and maybe solo DLC characters until December 31st arrives, ending the pass altogether. Unless he just ends Fighters Pass 2 in a hypothetical situation where he released the last pack early.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Since we are back to the "2 Fighters every month" format after a 4 month hiatus between Min-Min and Steve, I wonder how Masahiro Sakurai will live up to his promise to conclude on December 31st. He either does that or breaks his plans and instead releases the final Challenger Pack earlier than promised. Even if he does so, Fighters Pass 2 can still carry on with Spirit Events and maybe solo DLC characters until December 31st arrives, ending the pass altogether. Unless he just ends Fighters Pass 2 in a hypothetical situation where he released the last pack early.
December 31st, 2021 was a placeholder. It wasn't official.

For all we know too the next reveal could be in June and these two months we've been getting we're nothing more but coincidences. I'm banking we're getting a double reveal in June of the final two.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
We will see when Summer rolls over. News will come when you least expect it from time passing.
Screenshot_20210202-235451_YouTube.jpg

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
December 31st, 2021 was a placeholder. It wasn't official.

For all we know too the next reveal could be in June and these two months we've been getting we're nothing more but coincidences. I'm banking we're getting a double reveal in June of the final two.
Huh. A placeholder. I never knew that.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Huh. A placeholder. I never knew that.
It’s just a way of saying “it’ll be done by this point”, as opposed to making a concrete day where it has to be done. It gives them flexibility to release when they want, especially if they put the end date far enough back. For example, FP1 was to be completed by “February 2020”, no specific date. And Byleth was announced mid January and released late January.
All it means is that the last two fighters in Fighters Pass 2 will release sometime before 2022 officially starts.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Im posting this fake leak cause I found it hilarious. It lists quite few unrelated to Smash stuff, but the Smash stuff it DOES list says a like Newish game titled Super Smash Bros. 100 and for SOME reason, Snake, Megaman, Simon, Richter, Ryu, Ken, Banjo & Kazooie, Terry, Steve, Joker and Hero aren't in ( and we know this wasnt a mistake as text in the fake leak states "some fighters forgot their invitations" so this was apparently intentional!

oh but Cloud, Sephiroth and Tifa from FF make it back in but not easy to get Megaman and Ryu, Terry, Joker or B&K. Good News if it reality decides to break and this leak becomes true Shantae is in! lol.

View attachment 304585
View attachment 304586
Lol! This leak is a joke. Snake, Megaman, Simon, Richter, Ryu, Ken, Banjo & Kazooie, Terry, Steve, Joker and Hero being cut from a roster bigger than Ultimate's? ******* Nightmare being on the list alone deconfirms this leak as how could he work as a fighter and why would they go with him over more popular Kirby characters like Bandana Dee and Marx? Plus, I highly doubt it's likely that Tifa will ever get in as the thought of getting Cloud and Sephiroth back in future Smash games seems impossible due to how stingy Square-Enix is with their IPs.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Lol! This leak is a joke. Snake, Megaman, Simon, Richter, Ryu, Ken, Banjo & Kazooie, Terry, Steve, Joker and Hero being cut from a roster bigger than Ultimate's? ******* Nightmare being on the list alone deconfirms this leak as how could he work as a fighter and why would they go with him over more popular Kirby characters like Bandana Dee and Marx? Plus, I highly doubt it's likely that Tifa will ever get in as the thought of getting Cloud and Sephiroth back in future Smash games seems impossible due to how stingy Square-Enix is with their IPs.
I just dont get why they decided to omit them intentionally? Like Cloud and Sephiroth would make WAY more sense and relatively at least make it seem more believable.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
I still think that Sakurai may slow down on character reveals to preserve the remaining slots and its hype. Unless he announces FP3 or future DLC character, I say that the DLC's fate is uncertain.
Just wanna remind you that it's not up to him to decide the reveals. It's Nintendo's marketing team. Whether they choose to slow down on character reveals or not is entirely up to them.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
C Comedic Comrade
In which case, I think it might be even more likely that Nintendo will not want to stop DLC after Pass 2.

It's Smash Bros!
The corpos will want to milk it for as long as possible. So it's possible they might push Sakurai into doing even more.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I wouldn't be surprised if they put in one or two first party standalone DLC like Piranha Plant after the pass is done, if they're not doing a 3rd season. Honestly, that's really all characters like Waluigi, Dixie, Toad, Bandana Waddle Dee, etc. would need. They already have music and multiple stages repping their main series. I'm not saying I think it's likely, but I could see it and wouldn't be too surprised.

I don't think they'd add someone like Shantae in a standalone DLC, unless they reintroduce the mini packs that they did with Smash 4 for Cloud / Ryu, etc.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Nintendo and Sakurai already knows about the fans thinking if DLC is over or not as ONLY two spots are left. So, if Sakurai doesn't bring up during Pyra and Mythra's showcase, then E3 is probably the move.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Well even if they won't announce new DLC after this Pass is over and done with...
What's stopping them from doing more somewhere down the line?
Maybe taking some time off and then doing more later.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Well even if they won't announce new DLC after this Pass is over and done with...
My mind might be a bit rusty on this, but wasn't Smash 4 kind of like this? After Mewtwo, I don't think they said anything about how many characters they were releasing, or if any at all. I could definitely see them choose this route for Ultimate, like you alluded to before, it basically prints money for Nintendo.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I wouldn't be surprised if they put in one or two first party standalone DLC like Piranha Plant after the pass is done, if they're not doing a 3rd season. Honestly, that's really all characters like Waluigi, Dixie, Toad, Bandana Waddle Dee, etc. would need. They already have music and multiple stages repping their main series. I'm not saying I think it's likely, but I could see it and wouldn't be too surprised.

I don't think they'd add someone like Shantae in a standalone DLC, unless they reintroduce the mini packs that they did with Smash 4 for Cloud / Ryu, etc.
Well, after Fighter's Pass 2 there will be 4 empty WoL slots remaining in the data so I wouldn't be surprised if we get bonus DLC characters afterwards.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Actually, this is the least likely scenario.

The problem is that once the game stops development, people leave. They move to other projects, other jobs. I wouldn’t be surprised if the team right now is already significantly smaller than it was when working to build the base game. So taking a ‘break’ and then bringing people back is really not an option since they’ll have new projects they are a part of. And assembling a brand new team would be just as much of a hassle, if not more since they would be working on existing systems and engines they haven’t worked with.

The best bet is for an announcement of either a third pass or a new standalone dlc format before Fighters Pass 2 ends.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well, after Fighter's Pass 2 there will be 4 empty WoL slots remaining in the data so I wouldn't be surprised if we get bonus DLC characters afterwards.
If they ever use those, or even add more. Also, is this considerimg pyra and mythra possibly takimg up 2 slots, or did pokemon trailer just take 1 slot as well?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Considering that the latest reveal made Xenoblade Chronicles 2 sell out in japan, I wonder if Nintendo is thinking about making more passes now XD

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If they ever use those, or even add more. Also, is this considerimg pyra and mythra possibly takimg up 2 slots, or did pokemon trailer just take 1 slot as well?
You got a point because I imagine Charizard, Ivysaur and Squirtle take up 3 slots in the data as well as Pyra and Mythra taking up 2 slots since they're all separate characters and not one despite being part of a gimmick. So after Fighter's Pass 2, that would actually leave us with 3 empty WoL slots. This is interesting.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
I asked WayForward in Discord about Shantae GBC Switch port and they only answered, “Still on it’s way”. So finally theres our answer. Guess there’s nothing about Smash. Just taking some time.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Not interesting, but the next spirit event are charcters from the upcoming Bravely Default II game. However, it is only 2 new spirits coming.

Top Bottom