• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping the Mii Costumes are shown off first just like with Sephiroth. I feel like that's the new thing with these presentations instead of saving them for later.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I have a feeling it was done with Sephiroth just so Sakurai could show off Sephiroth beating up the FF7 party. And Aertith jokes.

But hey, if it’s done first for Pyra/Mythra, maybe it’ll be the new order for the format.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Though, I'm worried for Lloyd fans once his Mii Costume returns. Once the all Mii Costumes from Smash 4 has returned, it could be anyone to take the costume invite next.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I still wonder, will Fighter Pack 11 be the last of the DLC or will there be any kind of non-pass DLC released afterwards?

Dukefire

Smash Master
We will find out when either the Sakurai Presents video appears in March or when E3 rolls over this summer.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I still wonder, will Fighter Pack 11 be the last of the DLC or will there be any kind of non-pass DLC released afterwards?
I think we can safely say there won’t be any non-pass DLC, as Sakurai stated Homerun Contest would be the last DLC mode/content added that wasn’t fighter related. So our best bet is another challenger pass.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Alright guys, a supposed leak that was posted in January has emerged about a concert that's scheduled to take place next year after FP2 has been fully released. The leak can be found here: https://arch.b4k.co/v/thread/539627752

Normally I would dismiss these kinds of leaks as fake but this particular one has shaken me a bit due to the fact that one of the music tracks in the leak is "Counterattack" from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and that very track was played during Pyra/Mythra's reveal trailer. Of course, they might've just gotten very lucky since the leak features tracks representing each character and for some reason, is missing a track for Ken but it still fills me with a sense of unease that I feel won't go away until I see both Monster Hunter Mii Costume sets return. If they don't and Monster Hunter is indeed CP10 as the leak suggests, that in my eyes, would validate it despite the Ken track absence and spell the end of Shantae's chances in Ultimate I fear.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding so negative but I feel this is something that I have to get off my chest. Don't get me wrong; my support for Shantae is as strong as it's ever been and it will always remain that way but until I see those Mii Costume sets return, I now feel a sense of pessimism surrounding Shantae's chances.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Alright guys, a supposed leak that was posted in January has emerged about a concert that's scheduled to take place next year after FP2 has been fully released. The leak can be found here: https://arch.b4k.co/v/thread/539627752

Normally I would dismiss these kinds of leaks as fake but this particular one has shaken me a bit due to the fact that one of the music tracks in the leak is "Counterattack" from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and that very track was played during Pyra/Mythra's reveal trailer. Of course, they might've just gotten very lucky since the leak features tracks representing each character and for some reason, is missing a track for Ken but it still fills me with a sense of unease that I feel won't go away until I see both Monster Hunter Mii Costume sets return. If they don't and Monster Hunter is indeed CP10 as the leak suggests, that in my eyes, would validate it despite the Ken track absence and spell the end of Shantae's chances in Ultimate I fear.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding so negative but I feel this is something that I have to get off my chest. Don't get me wrong; my support for Shantae is as strong as it's ever been and it will always remain that way but until I see those Mii Costume sets return, I now feel a sense of pessimism surrounding Shantae's chances.
I posted about that leak in the Forest Maze Discord server, but I was immediately told it was fake. Mostly because Pollyanna isn't the EarthBound song being played.
Not entirely sure of the logic, but this is what is said of the leak in the Monster Hunter forum.

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman

Your first bit of counterevidence should be that this leak’s source is 4chan. And /v/ at that.

Secondly, look at the wording of the post. They didn’t say that’s the set list for the concert. They claim this is the list Nintendo is CONSIDERING for the concert. So this guy supposedly has the list Nintendo is just mulling over to make an orchestra concert, not even a concrete decided list.
And once again, it being a non-final list, they still have a song for every single character (barring Ken) and will just cut some?

Now, your spot of worry comes from XBC2 music being on the list despite it being made before Pyra/Mythra. ...Except that a Xenoblade rep was speculated ever since ARMS got in, since those are the 2 games Sakurai name dropped as having just missed the base game boat. It’s literally nothing more than a lucky guess.

In short?This isn’t a leak. It’s complete hogwash. Don’t waste your brain stressing on it.

Last edited:

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Your first bit of counterevidence should be that this leak’s source is 4chan. And /v/ at that.

Secondly, look at the wording of the post. They didn’t say that’s the set list for the concert. They claim this is the list Nintendo is CONSIDERING for the concert. So this guy supposedly has the list Nintendo is just mulling over to make an orchestra concert, not even a concrete decided list.
And once again, it being a non-final list, they still have a song for every single character (barring Ken) and will just cut some?

Now, your spot of worry comes from XBC2 music being on the list despite it being made before Pyra/Mythra. ...Except that a Xenoblade rep was speculated ever since ARMS got in, since those are the 2 games Sakurai name dropped as having just missed the base game boat. It’s literally nothing more than a lucky guess.

In short?This isn’t a leak. It’s complete hogwash. Don’t waste your brain stressing on it.
Yeah, I know I shouldn't. This is just an aspect of my Asperger's kicking in which unfortunately, I struggle to maintain control over. I apologize if it seems like I went a bit off the rails.

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I know I shouldn't. This is just an aspect of my Asperger's kicking in which unfortunately, I struggle to maintain control over. I apologize if it seems like I went a bit off the rails.
No worries, it’s not meant to be an insult to you. I know a lot of people get really into speculation. But when it starts stressing you out and affecting you physically, sometimes you need to take a step back and breathe, and ask people to help notice details that usually unravel the whole thing.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm not. Banjo-Kazooie, Ridley, Simon, And K. Rool are the only good characters added into ultimate. The rest show how bad this game's roster has become. It's sad really. If I never knw about smash and someone came over and said "hey do you want to play this? It's a great celebration of gaming" and this roster was shown to me, I'd laugh in that guys face.

It also says a lot when you expect the last two characters to be boring jrpg sword users from games that alrady have too much, or characters from games that already have too much, as opposed to the laundry list of icons STILL being ignored.

IMO the dlc should have been this:
1) Metal Slug - Every character can be selected though they have the same moveset(and a secret Zombie/Fat skin for each character) OR Contra
2) Rayman
3) Banjo-Kazooie - Only good dlc characters
4) Bomberman OR Arthur
5) Crash OR Spyro
6) Billy & Jimmy OR someone from Keno Kun OR Battle Toads
7) Eggman
8) Shantae
9) Crono - His whole gimmick would be selecting a partner in the CSS and his specials change depending on who you choose.

I would have also gave Ganondorf/Young Link an actual moveset in this game too, instead of leaving them as clones:\ Sakurai really must dislike the LoZ franchise, except Zelda herself of course. I would have also put Sir Daniel Fortesque on the base roster because he's just that damn cool.
I'm not the biggest fan of most of Ultimate's newcomers either outside of the Smash Ballot picks you listed and Sephiroth. But Ultimate's newcomer section isn't as bad as you say. Even if you don't like characters like Plant, Joker, Hero, Terry, Min Min, Steve and Pyra/Mythra, you can't denie they're all unique characters with unique moveset conspects.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
No worries, it’s not meant to be an insult to you. I know a lot of people get really into speculation. But when it starts stressing you out and affecting you physically, sometimes you need to take a step back and breathe, and ask people to help notice details that usually unravel the whole thing.
With me, these episodes of pessimism tend to come and go pretty quickly (like in the space of 10 - 20 minutes) so I'm already feeling back to my normal, optimistic self. To make sure I'm still on topic, here's a picture of Shantae in a summer hat and dress:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Honestly, the "Everyone is Here" phrase is making people more aggressive when fewer open slots are present. 🙄

Just ignore those that want to mudsling and/or shutdown the character(s) others request for. Really, DLC characters do pave the way for others since they smash fan rules that limits possibilities.

While this artwork is not Shantae related, it was made by the creators for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 to celebrate the Aegis duo as Challenger 9.
Eud0RWgVIAMdKhd.jpeg

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Still think it's curious that Shantae is the only 3rd party base game spirit to not have a character or a major Nintendo connection.

Rayman- Nintendo handled publishing in Japan for the modern Rayman games
Shovel Knight- SK was the first 3rd party amiibo IIRC
Rabbids- Crossover with Mario

Not only that but she's also one of the few spirits to be available as an icon.

I get the sense that there's a lot of Shantae fans on the dev team but problems may be more with the accountants and marketing.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I'm not the biggest fan of most of Ultimate's newcomers either outside of the Smash Ballot picks you listed and Sephiroth. But Ultimate's newcomer section isn't as bad as you say. Even if you don't like characters like Plant, Joker, Hero, Terry, Min Min, Steve and Pyra/Mythra, you can't denie they're all unique characters with unique moveset conspects.
Don’t feed the troll, his entire post history for the last year is just this exact same complaint.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I think we can safely say there won’t be any non-pass DLC, as Sakurai stated Homerun Contest would be the last DLC mode/content added that wasn’t fighter related. So our best bet is another challenger pass.
I think he meant Single Fighter DLCs, without a Pass.
Not non-fighter DLC like new Game Modes or stuff.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, I just realised that this is a new opportunity for Sakurai to confirm if there's a third pass coming or not. He did it with Banjo-Kazooie when two more slots were left, and shortly before the character in one of those two slots was revealed to be Terry Bogard. If he doesn't mention a third pass, then we can either wait for E3 or conclude it ourselves. If he outright deconfirms a third pass, then that's it for future DLC. If he also reveals the next character at the end of the presentation, it would be a nice touch and a callback to how he did it with Terry in Banjo's presentation. For now, only time will tell.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Oh yeah, I just realised that this is a new opportunity for Sakurai to confirm if there's a third pass coming or not. He did it with Banjo-Kazooie when two more slots were left, and shortly before the character in one of those two slots was revealed to be Terry Bogard. If he doesn't mention a third pass, then we can either wait for E3 or conclude it ourselves. If he outright deconfirms a third pass, then that's it for future DLC. If he also reveals the next character at the end of the presentation, it would be a nice touch and a callback to how he did it with Terry in Banjo's presentation. For now, only time will tell.
I'll be honest, if we don't hear news about a Pass 3 or not by Pyra/Mythra's Presentation, I'll be nervous as if they don't announce it at E3 the last two Fighter's Pass 2 characters are it. And I'm very confident in those last 2 characters not being characters I really want as I think they're going to go for big 3rd party legacy characters I have no interest in.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
First of, they announced a new Fighter's Pass when Terry Bogard was announced, not Banjo-Kazooie.

Second of, unless Sakurai is making a second Smash Bros for the Switch, I can't see the Smash support being permanently dropped after this Pass.
I mean Nintendo made Splatoon 3 for Nintendo Switch, which shows the Switch isn't dead yet.
(Which might have been an unwise decision, as two Online Shooters from the same brand on the same console will definitely split the playerbase. But eh...)
In any case, it very much looks like the Switch will stay alive for a while longer.
And it just doesn't feel right for Smash to drop support now, while Smash 4 kept being supported until the end of the WII Us lifespan.

I can see Smash taking a break for a while and maybe sticking to Single Fighter DLCs, instead of entire new Passes.
But just dropping Support this long before the end of the Switch's life cycle...
I dunno... it doesn't feel right.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Playing Smash at home and on the go is just nice for players. I know Nintendo isn't finishing Ultimate's support as it does give them a lot of money for business.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
First of, they announced a new Fighter's Pass when Terry Bogard was announced, not Banjo-Kazooie.

Second of, unless Sakurai is making a second Smash Bros for the Switch, I can't see the Smash support being permanently dropped after this Pass.
I mean Nintendo made Splatoon 3 for Nintendo Switch, which shows the Switch isn't dead yet.
(Which might have been an unwise decision, as two Online Shooters from the same brand on the same console will definitely split the playerbase. But eh...)
In any case, it very much looks like the Switch will stay alive for a while longer.
And it just doesn't feel right for Smash to drop support now, while Smash 4 kept being supported until the end of the WII Us lifespan.

I can see Smash taking a break for a while and maybe sticking to Single Fighter DLCs, instead of entire new Passes.
But just dropping Support this long before the end of the Switch's life cycle...
I dunno... it doesn't feel right.
The other potential reason might, oddly enough, be because of Covid.

People thought that 2020 would see a lot of delays and a low amount of releases, but the truth is, most of the games that came out in 2020 were already near completion. A game isn’t finished the day before it releases - you have to go through final QA, get it reviewed and rated by ratings boards, physical copy manufacturing...

The point is, even with the pandemic slowing things down for a bit, we still saw a fair number of releases. However, it’s the projects that WEREN’T close to finishing that are going to see delays. Projects that may have had a “work on it 2020 to 2021 for a mid-late 2021 release” were almost certainly delayed and pushed back.

So maybe Nintendo will be looking to extend support on existing games to help bridge that potential release-gap caused by the pandemic. And Smash is about as perfect of a candidate for that as possible.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Still think it's curious that Shantae is the only 3rd party base game spirit to not have a character or a major Nintendo connection.

Rayman- Nintendo handled publishing in Japan for the modern Rayman games
Shovel Knight- SK was the first 3rd party amiibo IIRC
Rabbids- Crossover with Mario

Not only that but she's also one of the few spirits to be available as an icon.

I get the sense that there's a lot of Shantae fans on the dev team but problems may be more with the accountants and marketing.
Shovel Knight was ALSO published by Nintendo in Japan

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Nah, I'm pretty sure it was Banjo's presentation. I remember Sakurai sitting in front of a banner with Banjo on it while announcing the next pass.

Regardless, I am not placing my bets on a third pass happening. The chances of it happening are minimal in my eyes, especially since Smash deserves a much needed hiatus and Sakurai needs his break.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Nah, I'm pretty sure it was Banjo's presentation. I remember Sakurai sitting in front of a banner with Banjo on it while announcing the next pass.

Regardless, I am not placing my bets on a third pass happening. The chances of it happening are minimal in my eyes, especially since Smash deserves a much needed hiatus and Sakurai needs his break.
No, the second Fighter pass was announced after Terry's reveal. Banjo's presentation didn't happen until after that

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Again, a pass doesn't need to happen for more DLC-Fighters.
They could just make them seperately.

As for your hiatus argument:
1. Do you think the corporate overlords will let that happen?
2. Sakurai already had a vacation recently, now didn't he?
3. Sakurai is a workaholic. So as long as there are new possibilities and ongoing support, I can't see him stopping.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Again, a pass doesn't need to happen for more DLC-Fighters.
They could just make them seperately.

As for your hiatus argument:
1. Do you think the corporate overlords will let that happen?
2. Sakurai already had a vacation recently, now didn't he?
3. Sakurai is a workaholic. So as long as there are new possibilities and ongoing support, I can't see him stopping.
Like I said, we shall see. If this is it for DLC for SSBU, then that's it.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well look who got featured on YellowFlash's video

View attachment 304374
Huh never heard of the guy, but now I should check out this video and see if they say anything about me.

As for the talks about a third pass, here is what I think could happen: They don't announce a third pass, but a final fighter ballot, either picking your characters, or they have a list of 10-20 characters, and the top 3-5 get made. in the mean time while that happens, we get a few stand alone Echo fighters , just to pad out sales while the ballot happens and those fighters are made.

Thats just a guess or honestly what I feel like they should do. Honestly, if we get more fighters, it probably isn't as big of a pass as this one.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I'd say that the Switch could either be close to ending its life cycle if we go by conventional consoles or has a few more years if we go by handheld console standards. So Splat3 could really be like the original Splatoon in that they were late releases.

As for the entire Smash DLC talks, I think it's possible for solo fighters. Because the Piranha Plant has shown it's possible, if Sakurai wants to do more, he could without necessarily needing to announce the Fighter Pass. It's made mostly to make buying in bulk easier, since IIRC that wasn't implemented in Smash 4's DLCs, or rather it wasn't implemented until later.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think the Switch will be supported with new games until 2024 or 2025 when Nintendo is ready to move on to their next gen console. The Switch is becoming PS2 levels successful and it will still have new games after the next Nintendo console comes out. But I think 2024 or 2025 is when we'll see the next console.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I'd say that the Switch could either be close to ending its life cycle if we go by conventional consoles or has a few more years if we go by handheld console standards. So Splat3 could really be like the original Splatoon in that they were late releases.
IIRC WII Us lifecycle was cut short, because it didn't do so well.
So they might have originally planned to support Splatoon for longer, but were forced to cut it short, due to the death of the WII U.
And then they had to make Splatoon for the Switch.

However, since the Switch is doing really well, I can't see the same issues here.
I don't think they would deliberately release Splatoon 3 on a dying console.
The game should be set to receive the same years of ongoing support, as 2 did. If not more.
And unlike the WII U, the Switch isn't dying.

As for the entire Smash DLC talks, I think it's possible for solo fighters. Because the Piranha Plant has shown it's possible, if Sakurai wants to do more, he could without necessarily needing to announce the Fighter Pass. It's made mostly to make buying in bulk easier, since IIRC that wasn't implemented in Smash 4's DLCs, or rather it wasn't implemented until later.
Yeah, but at the same time, if there is no pass, Sakurai is not beholden to a number.
He can do as many as he pleases and quit whenever he pleases... If the corporate overlords allow it, anyways.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
i think we will only see a new console when nintendo finds something that changes gaming or is unique, as tends to be their motive. With Switch still selling super well, i'm sure they will take their time for a new way of play console.

I could still see a switch pro at some point though, but wish it may just be a new base that powers up the system, so I don't need to buy a full new system. Think of it like a N64 DD like think they almost did in the past.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
A Switch Disk Drive... That would be fairly pointless, though I would support a beefier Switch Pro concept where the power of the Switch is a fair bit higher. However, they should find a way to make Drift much easier to repair by one's self before they go all-in. Then it won't be muddled by as much controversy. Like make it harder for a stick to experience Drift, like akin to a PS4/Xbox One Controller.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
SoupCanMafia SoupCanMafia Well, there are ways to fix the drift by yourself right now.
Unfortunately, that voids your warranty, which is kinda BS.

BTW: It's hilarious that Sony's controllers have the exact same problems now and they're facing a lawsuit because of it.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I actually learned on fixing a drifting joycon at some point. Better then getting a new replacement for $70 a pop.

Last edited:
Top Bottom