• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dukefire

Smash Master
If we are going by what is happening:
1. The Rex Mii Costume proves that the selected character can't get in (as Geno lost his chance after Sephiroth. Which the fans weren't happy about it.) after getting costume, but his blade can since they are part of the main cast and story.
2. Spirits don't deconfirm as Min Min and now Pyra/Mythra proves it.
3. Good Boys and Girls argument shuts down with Pyra and Mythra's arrival. Which some people pointed out that CERO may be more worried on the girl's Legs then her clevage. Depends if the design adjustments doesn't compromise the character themselves. (Mai is a different case as sex appeal is her core design no matter the outfit changes.)
4. Speculation and leaks isn't accurate anymore with the information secured in a vault.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
4. CERO's problem is confirmed to be with sinful dirty displays of LEGS
Yep, been saying this. Sakurai even mentioned it back in the Smash 4 days when saying the new black voids under dress characters and certain trophies were due to CERO rating issues. Mythra’s got a skirt, she gets tights. Pyra gets a bit more coverage from the waist down too.

Shantae’s got pants! And if character negotiations came down to “we pull the model’s pants up an inch or Shantae can’t be in the game”, I highly doubt Wayforward would refuse to hand over the rights to use the character. The barrier to entry continues to be no issue!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yep, been saying this. Sakurai even mentioned it back in the Smash 4 days when saying the new black voids under dress characters and certain trophies were due to CERO rating issues. Mythra’s got a skirt, she gets tights. Pyra gets a bit more coverage from the waist down too.

Shantae’s got pants! And if character negotiations came down to “we pull the model’s pants up an inch or Shantae can’t be in the game”, I highly doubt Wayforward would refuse to hand over the rights to use the character. The barrier to entry continues to be no issue!
Worst case scenario, her genie pants are made fully opaque.

Side note, but it's still funny that Krystal gets away with her original outfit thanks to being an anthropomorphic vixen.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not to say I don't believe you, but have you seen actual confirmation that they are getting two amiibo, or just assuming based on what makes sense to you?

I mean, I hope your are right, but without confirmation, I won't be getting my hopes up. As for Byleth, they are only giving us the male version. It is part of the next wave to release, so unless they are either keeping the female alt a secret (or they are releasing it in the next wave, which would be kinda scummy because i imagine most people who would only buy one want the female one more) then it probably isn't happening.

As for Steve. I assume he will get only one amiibo as well, but his would be one of the easier ones to make multiples of since his, Alex's an Zombie's model are all the same. Honestly, I could see them doing something like the did with Game and Watch for them. One base and a four figures to place on it. It would be fitting for a Minecraft amiibo to have a building function to it.
Yes, it's an assumption. But only cause they have designated numbers, instead of alts. Every single one with their own number has gotten their own amiibo, full stop.

It's not impossible it's one large amiibo(though worth noting the actual image shown is two separate images layered on each other to seem like it's just one. Collab picture, etc), but both would be represented. Likely two, however, since they both have their own movesets like Pokemon Trainer does. The only ones who haven't gotten ones are alts, or new ones at best since they already had one in 4(which sucks for those with major design changes. Poor Ganondorf... though only Zelda and Sheik also suffer from this. Since Young Link and Toon Link have had amiibo before and got no major changes to their body design. In fact, very few characters got a new design. It seems practically just a Legend of Zelda thing, only for some of them).

Steve/Alex does seem plausible, even if they don't do Zombie or Enderman. But well, it's the best selling game in the world and is easy to do, so. Simplicity is nice. That, and Alex is a proper name too, so they might be more willing to do so. And that sucks about Byleth, but also means we might just get Steve as is.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Oh, okay.

In response to MeteoRain: the fact that Shantae's spirit art is from HGH instead of Pirate's Curse suggests to me that they wouldn't look to an older game in the series for a Mii costume since in my eyes, the only feasible Mii costume for her would be a Swordfighter costume consisting of her PC outfit with a scimitar. I'm well aware that PC is probably the most popular game in the series but has this ever happened before; by which I mean taking a character who has just 1 spirit in the base game based on their most recent appearance at that point and then taking an outfit from an older game in that character's series to create a Mii costume? If this has happened before, you can disregard what I've said.
Even then, a Mii Sword Fighter doesn't do Shantae justice because it fails to portray who she actually is: a half-genie. It's only one part of her diverse and expansive moveset.

DynoStretch

Smash Cadet
So I thought of an idea of how to incorporate Shantae's transformation mechanic without making it too complex or leaving her too vulnerable. Her side, up and down specials would turn her into the animal forms who use an attack, but after the attack she remains in that animal form, and would have different stats and a limited amount of normal attacks, she can still use that form's special at any time. She can change into a different form by using a different special, or change back to a half-genie at any time by using her neutral special.

Her side special would be the Monkey Lunge, where she turns into a monkey and shoots straight forward bashing into an opponent. The monkey form would be lightweight and speedy but lack strength and range.

Her up special would turn her into a harpy who shoots high into the air to bash enemies above her. As a harpy she would be agile and able to fly for a short time but with slippy movement on both land and air, and she could shoot rapid fire but weak feathers.

Down special would be the elephant who stomps down on the ground similar to DK's down special on land, and Bowser's when in the air. As an elephant she can do a heavy charge attack as well as the stomp.

The neutral special by the way would be the fireball, tap the button to throw one, but hold it to shoot three at once.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Well for once a newcomer makes me more hopeful for Shantae. And on multiple points too-

1. More base game spirits got promoted
2. Transformation isn't Pokemon Trainer's exclusive gimmick anymore
3. More characters who were considered for base game but cut for time.
4. CERO's problem is confirmed to be with sinful dirty displays of LEGS
Welp, we don't know which Mii Costumes are going to come with the new arrival.
Shantae could still get that treatment.

Fingers crossed for March.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
So I thought of an idea of how to incorporate Shantae's transformation mechanic without making it too complex or leaving her too vulnerable. Her side, up and down specials would turn her into the animal forms who use an attack, but after the attack she remains in that animal form, and would have different stats and a limited amount of normal attacks, she can still use that form's special at any time. She can change into a different form by using a different special, or change back to a half-genie at any time by using her neutral special.

Her side special would be the Monkey Lunge, where she turns into a monkey and shoots straight forward bashing into an opponent. The monkey form would be lightweight and speedy but lack strength and range.

Her up special would turn her into a harpy who shoots high into the air to bash enemies above her. As a harpy she would be agile and able to fly for a short time but with slippy movement on both land and air, and she could shoot rapid fire but weak feathers.

Down special would be the elephant who stomps down on the ground similar to DK's down special on land, and Bowser's when in the air. As an elephant she can do a heavy charge attack as well as the stomp.

The neutral special by the way would be the fireball, tap the button to throw one, but hold it to shoot three at once.
I’ve made a few movesets like this, but I think you could honestly lean into the transformations for all 4. Switch Monkey Bullet to neutral, and Spider Venom for side so she has each of her four original transformations.

Then just give each form only a small amount of moves like one aerial, ground attacks but maybe only tilts and a dash attack, and change their weights and speeds to justify why you’d want to change into them, and you have a transforming character that doesn’t break the devs to make 5 full movesets in one.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I personally, seriously doubt Shantae will get the Mii costume treatment for reasons I've already stated.
People were doubting a lot of things, that ultimately happened in Smash anyways.

Plus, there are a lot of Mii Costumes that don't properly represent their source material, but they're there anyways.
So that's not gonna stop them, if they really want to do it.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Now, both game series that couldn't make it in due to being released too late are now in. ARMS and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Wait, wouldn't Shantae's design and abilities overall make a Brawler Costume better?

...I guess any could work, but her design screams "no weapons" to me.

Of course, playable is way better, obviously~!

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Wait, wouldn't Shantae's design and abilities overall make a Brawler Costume better?

...I guess any could work, but her design screams "no weapons" to me.

Of course, playable is way better, obviously~!
I suppose...

A swordfighter would be an obvious fit for her Pirate's Curse incarnation.
But a Brawler type would ultimately suit her a bit better.
Plus, apparently Shantae does have some skills in martial arts, even if her expertise in that was only ever shown in the first game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I suppose...

A swordfighter would be an obvious fit for her Pirate's Curse incarnation.
But a Brawler type would ultimately suit her a bit better.
Plus, apparently Shantae does have some skills in martial arts, even if her expertise in that was only ever shown in the first game.
Ah, interesting.

...So hows bout that Mii belly? XD

Joking aside, at least we have cool options. If she is playable, a pirate alt is a given, imo. She surely has a ton of a cool hats/etc. as options~

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I feel like everybody is sleeping on Shantae's "Fighters Gear" moves.
I mean, there is a good reason for that, since they were only used in the first game and then never again.
But still, those moves could be used as a justification for a potential Brawler Costume.

Which is why I wouldn't celebrate too early, when you guys say "Shantae wouldn't work for a MII Costume".
When in actuality, we have fits for two out of the three MII Fighter options.
We've got way more unfitting MII Costumes, than this after all.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Shantae as a costume. That would be one of the more disappointing things that'd happen in 2021. And yet it's entirely possible. Though with the roughly nine month gap between now and the end of 2021, with Fighter 9 being at or near Gold Standard, 10 likely being in the beta stage, and a likely starting point of 11, Shantae isn't out of the game yet.

So, going on speculating Mii Costumes, what would they be if you were to guess? It'd be pretty cool to see some standard Mario-based costumes, like a Koopa Troopa/Hammer Brother suit, or maybe more BOTW/Zelda themed outfits, like a Sheikah outfit. Or even some Shovel Knight-themed DX Mii Costume.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh, I'm not in the camp she'll get Mii'd. But I love to speculate on what kind of costume would work right. Like, for Brian(one of my wants), Swordfighter makes sense since he's a staff user. Etc.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Oh, I'm not in the camp she'll get Mii'd. But I love to speculate on what kind of costume would work right. Like, for Brian(one of my wants), Swordfighter makes sense since he's a staff user. Etc.
You got it wrong.
I didn't say Shantae is guaranteed as a fighter, nor did I say she will get MII'd.

All I was saying is, don't count on Shantae never being a MII Costume, just because YOU believe it's impossible.
Shantae COULD still get MII'd and there are two MII Fighter Styles that would fit with her: Brawler (Fighter's Gear) and Swordfighter (Pirate's Gear).
Don't count your chickens before they hatch!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You got it wrong.
I didn't say Shantae is guaranteed as a fighter, nor did I say she will get MII'd.

All I was saying is, don't count on Shantae never being a MII Costume, just because YOU believe it's impossible.
Shantae COULD still get MII'd and there are two MII Fighter Styles that would fit with her: Brawler (Fighter's Gear) and Swordfighter (Pirate's Gear).
Don't count your chickens before they hatch!
I wasn't saying you were at all.

It wasn't a particular reply to anyone, and more to the post below yours, mistaking our fun discussion for trying to say "she should get Mii'd", which has happened a lot in support threads. Obviously nobody is saying that, heh.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Do you think it'd be a good idea if Megaman had to push a button just to toggle back to one-cannon mode everytime he used his up or down smash? Tying transformations to actual moves like this is just extra baggage. What if I don't want to become an elephant after crashing down? Why do I have to rocket into the air just to turn into a harpy? Not to mention completely ignoring how dancing is normally necessary to access the classic forms.

I’ve made a few movesets like this, but I think you could honestly lean into the transformations for all 4. Switch Monkey Bullet to neutral, and Spider Venom for side so she has each of her four original transformations.

Then just give each form only a small amount of moves like one aerial, ground attacks but maybe only tilts and a dash attack, and change their weights and speeds to justify why you’d want to change into them, and you have a transforming character that doesn’t break the devs to make 5 full movesets in one.
And I still must insist that shifting into forms with such limited toolsets while locking access to anything else is unnecessarily clunky. The way I'd like to see them work is actually rather close to what Pyra and Mythra are doing right now; shifting between modes that have some unique moves between them but retain a strong core moveset that doesn't hamstring you, regardless of the choice you've made.

Dukefire

Smash Master
From what I can observe with the limited info on Pyra and Mythra before Sakurai Presents.
Pyra is slower, but hits HARD with the element of fire. So power is good to end stocks earlier.
Mythra is fast with quick and powerful combos to rack up damage. Great to build up damage while controling the fight.
How their weight class are........looks like Pyra may be able to last longer compared to Mythra's speed and foresight dodge. However, some attacks needs wind up before performing, so I can guess the Sword Duo placement might be either midweight or heavyweight. So, observe the odds and adapt on the fly to the current situation.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I've said this before, but even if Shantae doesn't make the cut, she still has an excellent series of games that continues to grow alongside an ever growing fanbase

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Shantae as a costume. That would be one of the more disappointing things that'd happen in 2021. And yet it's entirely possible. Though with the roughly nine month gap between now and the end of 2021, with Fighter 9 being at or near Gold Standard, 10 likely being in the beta stage, and a likely starting point of 11, Shantae isn't out of the game yet.

So, going on speculating Mii Costumes, what would they be if you were to guess? It'd be pretty cool to see some standard Mario-based costumes, like a Koopa Troopa/Hammer Brother suit, or maybe more BOTW/Zelda themed outfits, like a Sheikah outfit. Or even some Shovel Knight-themed DX Mii Costume.
Honestly, as much as it would suck to have Shantae as a Mii costume instead of a playable character, I would prefer her getting a Mii costume than just receiving a png Spirit as it would make her look less important than the other big Indies who either got Assist Trophy like Shovel Knight or a Mii costume like Sans and Cuphead.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, as much as it would suck to have Shantae as a Mii costume instead of a playable character, I would prefer her getting a Mii costume than just receiving a png Spirit as it would make her look less important than the other big Indies who either got Assist Trophy like Shovel Knight or a Mii costume like Sans and Cuphead.
This is also what made the Geno costume hurt. Not cause it's a costume, but because it only got an HD update, despite the massive requests. It couldn't get a premium update or even a song? That sucks. At least give it a bit more.

Shantae got cool base game content, but being treated as less important as some other Indies suck. Among all these, Sans is the one without a Spirit, I think? So it got a slight short end of the stick compared to the other Indies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
This is also what made the Geno costume hurt. Not cause it's a costume, but because it only got an HD update, despite the massive requests. It couldn't get a premium update or even a song? That sucks. At least give it a bit more.

Shantae got cool base game content, but being treated as less important as some other Indies suck. Among all these, Sans is the one without a Spirit, I think? So it got a slight short end of the stick compared to the other Indies.
Still, I think Shantae getting a Mii costume if not as a playable character is Sakurai acknowledging Shantae as much as the other Indies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Still, I think Shantae getting a Mii costume if not as a playable character is Sakurai acknowledging Shantae as much as the other Indies.
I'm not sure it really works that way, but I get ya. It'd be nice. I'd say her having an online icon is important too. Though I guess it goes without saying her starting on Nintendo didn't do much, did it? XD

Anyway, here's hoping she gets in, etc.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm not sure it really works that way, but I get ya. It'd be nice. I'd say her having an online icon is important too. Though I guess it goes without saying her starting on Nintendo didn't do much, did it? XD

Anyway, here's hoping she gets in, etc.
I mean, even if she doesn't become playable or a Mii costume, a Assist Trophy would have been better than just a png Spirit image and a online icon. I just afraid Sakurai might not see Shantae as important or big as the other big Indies if she doesn't get a award of the same caliber.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Just popping in to say that while Pyra and Mythra were my most wanted characters and I'm very content with the roster at this point, I'd love to see my second most wanted, Shantae, still make it in somehow. Don't lose hope, everyone!

"...And while the campaign continues to drag on, recent events have emboldened the standing roster. Confidence is reported to be at an all-time high."

We feel this way in the Monster Hunter support forum too.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I aint giving up on Shantae! :)

The one thing that mythra and pyra brought me is that I'm not totally dissatisfied with the dlc now. It's a bit of a relief, just it doesn't change that I want shantae and I have other hopes as well.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
My reactions to the characters so far
  1. Joker- I never saw it comiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing
  2. Hero- Inevitable really, by why the RNG?
  3. Banjo & Kazooie- YES! They're back!
  4. Terry- Moderately excited for him but much more hype for a new Psycho Soldier mix
  5. Byleth- I would have preferred one of the Lords honestly
  6. Min Min- AWESOME! Love the way she plays too
  7. Steve/Alex/Zomibe/Enderman- The madmen actually did it?!
  8. Sephiroth- So glad Final Fantasy 7 got full representation
  9. Pyra- Seems like Sakurai wanted to do the version of her in the cutscenes and not the gameplay and I'm cool with that.
  10. Mythra- Can't have one without the other
With two more characters to go, I'm conscious that Minecraft may be the peak in terms of WHAAAAAAAAAAA factor but Sephiroth and the Aegis sisters give me hope they will revisit characters who almost made it into the base game. One who got in as a Spirit perhaps...

zferolie

Smash Hero
While i prefer shantae as playable i wont say no to a mii brawler costume amd a music track, because that is them acknowledging her.

Still, she would fit better as a character, and with this pass possibly being amissed based game/long talks pass, Shantaes chances skyrocketed i feel. Of all the base game spirits she really feels like the strongest possibility of a character that was a late consideration, given her spirits are last, and she has an online icon

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I've always kind of been in the boat where I never thought that Shantae was super likely as a DLC character, (despite wanting her as one of my MW) but only because every character so far has been from a AAA publisher. If they're willing to break that mold, Shantae is probably one of the more likely ones, especially as was mentioned above by her already having Spirits and an online player icon. (Which honestly is more of an accolade than a spirit.)

Shantae's series is still alive and active, and while not being the most popular or best selling games, it is a solid experience, likeable characters, and a company that absolutely appears to be willing to work with Nintendo. So if not in this game, she feels like she'll have her chance in future installments.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
I feel like due to Pyra and Mythra putting the final nails in the coffins for the Rayman, Ryu and Doomguy leak, the Crash, Reimu and KOS MOS leak and the list leak, leaks and speculation aren't worth it anymore. Everytime someone tries making predictions and setting up expectations, it is completely thrown overboard by something that completely subverts everything discussed and theorised.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I feel like due to Pyra and Mythra putting the final nails in the coffins for the Rayman, Ryu and Doomguy leak, the Crash, Reimu and KOS MOS leak and the list leak, leaks and speculation aren't worth it anymore.
I sorta feel like that's what we've been saying the whole time, but whatever. =P

I still wouldn't be super surprised if Crash ended up making it (or really any character), but I don't feel that way because of any leak or speculation, I just feel like he was a pretty popular character that more or less was the face of Playstation at the time of his golden age, and manages to keep the series alive modern day with new games. But of course, it could just as easily not happen at all. I've thought every pick so far for DLC has been fun and for the most part exciting, I definitely still curious who is left!

Last edited:

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
Trolling
I definitely still curious who is left!
I'm not. Banjo-Kazooie, Ridley, Simon, And K. Rool are the only good characters added into ultimate. The rest show how bad this game's roster has become. It's sad really. If I never knw about smash and someone came over and said "hey do you want to play this? It's a great celebration of gaming" and this roster was shown to me, I'd laugh in that guys face.

It also says a lot when you expect the last two characters to be boring jrpg sword users from games that alrady have too much, or characters from games that already have too much, as opposed to the laundry list of icons STILL being ignored.

IMO the dlc should have been this:
1) Metal Slug - Every character can be selected though they have the same moveset(and a secret Zombie/Fat skin for each character) OR Contra
2) Rayman
3) Banjo-Kazooie - Only good dlc characters
4) Bomberman OR Arthur
5) Crash OR Spyro
6) Billy & Jimmy OR someone from Keno Kun OR Battle Toads
7) Eggman
8) Shantae
9) Crono - His whole gimmick would be selecting a partner in the CSS and his specials change depending on who you choose.

I would have also gave Ganondorf/Young Link an actual moveset in this game too, instead of leaving them as clones:\ Sakurai really must dislike the LoZ franchise, except Zelda herself of course. I would have also put Sir Daniel Fortesque on the base roster because he's just that damn cool.

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I feel like due to Pyra and Mythra putting the final nails in the coffins for the Rayman, Ryu and Doomguy leak
Your page-ly reminder this wasn’t a leak, it was a post on a thread about fighters pass wishlists on 4chan. A guy got lucky and is likely happy two of his most wanted characters got in. Though I do agree with the rest of your post, perhaps in part due to how strange working conditions became last year it feels like there’s very little information leaking. Which is always a good thing in my book, I have never seen a leak that actively made me more hyped for something.

Just popping in to say that while Pyra and Mythra were my most wanted characters and I'm very content with the roster at this point, I'd love to see my second most wanted, Shantae, still make it in somehow. Don't lose hope, everyone!
Always great to hear someone’s most wanted made it, and glad to hear more Shantae support! Pyra and Mythra were in my top 10 too, so here’s hoping Shantae’s in the works!

Top Bottom