• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Now, Pyra/Mythra nails the coffin that speculation isn't that useful when determining characters. Really, we will have to wait until march to see what Sakurai plans for the remaining DLC left.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Definitely one more unexpected pick XD

I feel the last 2 are probably 3rd party, but who knows with nintendo

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Definitely one more unexpected pick XD

I feel the last 2 are probably 3rd party, but who knows with nintendo
I don’t know anymore becuase I’m done with my hopes on Shantae. I have different feelings and beliefs. I’m so sorry. Please understand.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I

I don’t know anymore becuase I’m done with my hopes on Shantae. I have different feelings and beliefs. I’m so sorry.
You can if you want to, if you have trouble not putting too much into it. Sure it can be disappointing when you really want a character in, but I think it's better to be easeful about it. If she doesn't get in, well maybe next time, but if she does... :cool:

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
You can if you want to, if you have trouble not putting too much into it. Sure it can be disappointing when you really want a character in, but I think it's better to be easeful about it. If she doesn't get in, well maybe next time, but if she does... :cool:
I just can’t anymore. I hope you understand

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I hope they show us the gameplay before march. I really wanna see how they play :)
I don't know about that, March is pretty close. And next week is mostly gonna be pokemon news since they are doing a week long thing leading up to Pokemon Day. Perhaps early March we will get the Mr Sakurai Presents on them.

Also your new avatar image makes me wonder if one of their pallet swaps will have them swapping each other's colors like that.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't know about that, March is pretty close. And next week is mostly gonna be pokemon news since they are doing a week long thing leading up to Pokemon Day. Perhaps early March we will get the Mr Sakurai Presents on them.

Also your new avatar image makes me wonder if one of their pallet swaps will have them swapping each other's colors like that.
I can still hope for news sooner XD
And yeah I'm super curious about their alt colors, it's weird we can't see them yet.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I can still hope for news sooner XD
And yeah I'm super curious about their alt colors, it's weird we can't see them yet.
It's a real shame they aren't doing the "player two" amiibo this time like they did in Smash 4, it would be great to get one for both of them.
Also, the costumes and spirits will be interesting. Rex and Nya are already costumes.

Also there is that one theory that old costumes are getting added with characters who have weapons similar to theirs. I wonder if with Pyra and Mythra, this might be when the Lloyd costum returns.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's a real shame they aren't doing the "player two" amiibo this time like they did in Smash 4, it would be great to get one for both of them.
Also, the costumes and spirits will be interesting. Rex and Nya are already costumes.

Also there is that one theory that old costumes are getting added with characters who have weapons similar to theirs. I wonder if with Pyra and Mythra, this might be when the Lloyd costum returns.
They're getting two amiibo. It's not an alt. Mythra is actually a separate fighter. They're a Transformation character like Pokemon Trainer currently is. As odd as their render looks, it's two renders placed on top of each other to get a cool effect.

If it was Player 2, yeah, Mythra would be screwed. Also, to be fair, Hero isn't the cheapest character either. It might've been too expensive to make another alt character. Erdrick is the biggest DQ character in Japan, so besides already not being that easy to license, as well as overall Hero had to deal with multiple companies to ask, it makes sense they aren't doing a second alt for that one. Joker didn't get one for his alt either, but that's not a separate character. Byleth I don't remember if their amiibo is confirmed yet, but that might get two since they're Nintendo-owned(and also have unique names in Japan. Hero, despite the alts, has no official unique name in-game). I doubt Byleth too. Steve might be easier, since Nintendo and Microsoft are tight, and Minecraft is right now the top selling game in the world, which means it's less risky to make one more amiibo, as it will sell well. Giving 'em all amiibo, though... not a good idea. That's a bit too costly to produce(amiibo aren't that cheap to make en masse, but most products aren't).

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
They're getting two amiibo. It's not an alt. Mythra is actually a separate fighter. They're a Transformation character like Pokemon Trainer currently is. As odd as their render looks, it's two renders placed on top of each other to get a cool effect.

If it was Player 2, yeah, Mythra would be screwed. Also, to be fair, Hero isn't the cheapest character either. It might've been too expensive to make another alt character. Erdrick is the biggest DQ character in Japan, so besides already not being that easy to license, as well as overall Hero had to deal with multiple companies to ask, it makes sense they aren't doing a second alt for that one. Joker didn't get one for his alt either, but that's not a separate character. Byleth I don't remember if their amiibo is confirmed yet, but that might get two since they're Nintendo-owned(and also have unique names in Japan. Hero, despite the alts, has no official unique name in-game). I doubt Byleth too. Steve might be easier, since Nintendo and Microsoft are tight, and Minecraft is right now the top selling game in the world, which means it's less risky to make one more amiibo, as it will sell well. Giving 'em all amiibo, though... not a good idea. That's a bit too costly to produce(amiibo aren't that cheap to make en masse, but most products aren't).
Not to say I don't believe you, but have you seen actual confirmation that they are getting two amiibo, or just assuming based on what makes sense to you?

I mean, I hope your are right, but without confirmation, I won't be getting my hopes up. As for Byleth, they are only giving us the male version. It is part of the next wave to release, so unless they are either keeping the female alt a secret (or they are releasing it in the next wave, which would be kinda scummy because i imagine most people who would only buy one want the female one more) then it probably isn't happening.

As for Steve. I assume he will get only one amiibo as well, but his would be one of the easier ones to make multiples of since his, Alex's an Zombie's model are all the same. Honestly, I could see them doing something like the did with Game and Watch for them. One base and a four figures to place on it. It would be fitting for a Minecraft amiibo to have a building function to it.

Staarih

Smash Master
Yeah, I can't imagine not getting an amiibo for both Pyra and Mythra, if every Pokemon of Pokemon Trainer as well as Mii Fighter got one and they're labeled/counted as separate characters on the site, even though they appear on the same slot. They are not alts.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
SebTheGamer SebTheGamer
If it makes you feel any better, I share pretty similar feelings with you there.

Of course, my logical side still sees that we have two chances left.
And as per usual, those two characters could be anyone. Including Shantae.

But my emotional side loses more and more hope with each passing announcement revealing a character I'm not really invested in.
All this stress and anxiety with every incoming announcement and nothing comes out of the announcement, that makes up for all the unease I felt.
Why would Shantae, a character I really want for Smash, be among those unrevealed characters?
Because nothing in this cursed world ever goes my way. So my wishes and feelings apparently mean absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Not to say I don't believe you, but have you seen actual confirmation that they are getting two amiibo, or just assuming based on what makes sense to you?

I mean, I hope your are right, but without confirmation, I won't be getting my hopes up. As for Byleth, they are only giving us the male version. It is part of the next wave to release, so unless they are either keeping the female alt a secret (or they are releasing it in the next wave, which would be kinda scummy because i imagine most people who would only buy one want the female one more) then it probably isn't happening.

As for Steve. I assume he will get only one amiibo as well, but his would be one of the easier ones to make multiples of since his, Alex's an Zombie's model are all the same. Honestly, I could see them doing something like the did with Game and Watch for them. One base and a four figures to place on it. It would be fitting for a Minecraft amiibo to have a building function to it.
they are fighters 79 and 80 on the website

Also note Pyra and Mythra had online icons before this, Rex didnt, and to tie it together, Shantae has an online icon.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
they are fighters 79 and 80 on the website

Also note Pyra and Mythra had online icons before this, Rex didnt, and to tie it together, Shantae has an online icon.
OH I didn't know Pyra and Mythra had online icons. That does bode well for Shantae's chances.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Did Min Min have an online icon as well before she became a fighter?
No, but I think personally at least that can be explained by the fact NO ARMs had online tags icon outside of Springman who was an AT AN ALL ATs have a tag. With how Min was chosen, with Sakurai stating he was thinking either her or Ninjara before asking the Director of ARMS, Also ARMs didnt have one due to the ONLY miscellaneous non fighter associated series spirits were Lip, Chorus Kids, Oni Dr Kawashima, Diskun,...and Shantae All tags are Fighters, their series icons, spirits from the series fighters hail from, Smash Bros originals, Assist Trophies, and the five miscellaneous spirits. Shantae REALLY sticks out like a goddamn thumb in that list. NO OTHER non fighter associated spirits got tags EXCEPT THOSE FIVE and Shantae is a THIRD PARTY INDIE!

to further explain the only other non AT, no fighter associated third party spirit is Rayman, and he didn't get ****. He has the one spirit and thats it. Now why did Shantae get a tag and not Rayman?

Last edited:

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
SebTheGamer SebTheGamer
If it makes you feel any better, I share pretty similar feelings with you there.

Of course, my logical side still sees that we have two chances left.
And as per usual, those two characters could be anyone. Including Shantae.

But my emotional side loses more and more hope with each passing announcement revealing a character I'm not really invested in.
All this stress and anxiety with every incoming announcement and nothing comes out of the announcement, that makes up for all the unease I felt.
Why would Shantae, a character I really want for Smash, be among those unrevealed characters?
Because nothing in this cursed world ever goes my way. So my wishes and feelings apparently mean absolutely nothing.
Thanks but I just can’t anymore. It’s just my choice. Hope you understand too. I’m so sorry.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
The one for sure thing i feel about this pass is everyone in it either would have been in base if the timing was different (prya/mythra and Min Min), or werr in talks even before the game was finished(steve and maybe sephiroth). I think its a good chance the last 2 are in this category... which i feel skyrockets shantaes chances.

Remember, she has 2 spirits, which for a third party indie rep with no assist trophy is impressive... and she has a fighter tag, which no other fighter tag is not tied to either a playable fighter or assist trophy... that makes me feel she was planned very late in the cycle...

Staarih

Smash Master
Switching from Pyra to Mythra and back looks really snappy in the trailer. I know we've had transformation characters in Melee/Brawl and have Pokemon Trainer returned to his original self now, but it just further confirms that there shouldn't be obstacles transformation-wise regarding Shantae's moveset.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Switching from Pyra to Mythra and back looks really snappy in the trailer. I know we've had transformation characters in Melee/Brawl and have Pokemon Trainer returned to his original self now, but it just further confirms that there shouldn't be obstacles transformation-wise regarding Shantae's moveset.
Indeed. Shantaes transformations will be very fluid i bet

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
I know everyone's riding the high on the new reveal, but is anyone dreading the fact that there will be two characters revealed some time over the course of the next 9 months?
Really hoping they don't stretch it out to December

zferolie

Smash Hero
I know everyone's riding the high on the new reveal, but is anyone dreading the fact that there will be two characters revealed some time over the course of the next 9 months?
Really hoping they don't stretch it out to December
I mean, thats most likely happening. Thats 1 character every 4 months, which seems about right

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
The one for sure thing i feel about this pass is everyone in it either would have been in base if the timing was different (prya/mythra and Min Min), or werr in talks even before the game was finished(steve and maybe sephiroth). I think its a good chance the last 2 are in this category... which i feel skyrockets shantaes chances.

Remember, she has 2 spirits, which for a third party indie rep with no assist trophy is impressive... and she has a fighter tag, which no other fighter tag is not tied to either a playable fighter or assist trophy... that makes me feel she was planned very late in the cycle...
Speaking of which, anybody remember my little tag theory?

Rex didn't get one but Pyra and Mythra did. All that's left to do is cross our fingers Shantae doesn't get Mii'd like another certain wishful fan pick.

Last edited:

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Speaking of which, anybody remember my little tag theory?

Rex didn't get one but Pyra and Mythra did. All that's left to do is cross our fingers Shantae doesn't get Mii'd like another certain wishful fan pick.
You're gonna have to remind me what that pick was if you don't mind.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
I'm pretty sure they were referring to Geno.
Oh, okay.

In response to MeteoRain: the fact that Shantae's spirit art is from HGH instead of Pirate's Curse suggests to me that they wouldn't look to an older game in the series for a Mii costume since in my eyes, the only feasible Mii costume for her would be a Swordfighter costume consisting of her PC outfit with a scimitar. I'm well aware that PC is probably the most popular game in the series but has this ever happened before; by which I mean taking a character who has just 1 spirit in the base game based on their most recent appearance at that point and then taking an outfit from an older game in that character's series to create a Mii costume? If this has happened before, you can disregard what I've said.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I notice on different sites people are getting ready to blame Pyra & Mythra for the possible Lloyd Mii costume... They are not happy.
I brought up that pattern fans have been noticing about mii costumes having similar weapons to the fighters they were released with a little earlier on this page. If it is intentional and not just coincidence, then I could see them putting Lloyd in with Pyra/Mythra, if nothing else than the fact that there will be some room for Mii Costumes since the most expected Xenoblade 1 and 2 costumes were already done.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well for once a newcomer makes me more hopeful for Shantae. And on multiple points too-

1. More base game spirits got promoted
2. Transformation isn't Pokemon Trainer's exclusive gimmick anymore
3. More characters who were considered for base game but cut for time.
4. CERO's problem is confirmed to be with sinful dirty displays of LEGS

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I brought up that pattern fans have been noticing about mii costumes having similar weapons to the fighters they were released with a little earlier on this page. If it is intentional and not just coincidence, then I could see them putting Lloyd in with Pyra/Mythra, if nothing else than the fact that there will be some room for Mii Costumes since the most expected Xenoblade 1 and 2 costumes were already done.
The Monster Hunter costumes also are for Mii Swordfighter, so there is that to consider.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
You're gonna have to remind me what that pick was if you don't mind.
This

I'm adding details to this.

There are four oddballs in terms of the online icons, they are...

Geno (Sort of)
Rex
Rayman
Shantae

Rex and Rayman are odd in how they lack online icons entirely. Shantae is the only 3rd party series with neither an AT or Fighter, while Geno sits in a grey area thanks to being a third party whose game is represented with only one primary and support much like Shantae, but depending on how you look at it, he and SMRPG as a whole is considered part of the Mario franchise like Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi. Personally looking past that, I think Shantae and Geno could be in the same boat. The same goes for Rayman and Rex.

Depending on how you look at it this could be a sign that the door was left open for them in the uncertain future beyond the initial Fighter Pass.
Geno is as I said "a grey area" 3rd party. He was in the same situation as Shantae except he's a Mario character rather than a full blown 3rd party.

Looks like the Rex thing might have turned out to be tilting into Shantae's favor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom