• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
C Comedic Comrade Actually Luminary was talked about alongside Erdrick by some, including Vergeben. That's not to say all the characters listed were being talked about. It's got more credit than some other fake leaks, but it can easily be fake like the load of them ;p
Just a little reminder. I didn't write all that. misdrievous Demise did on YouTube. The only parts I did write were the first and last paragraphs. But yeah, thanks for the info.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
So do you guys remember when I posted a video by Attacker72 (who also made a video debunking the May 11th, 2020 leak) that covered the list leak? I also told you guys to look for a comment made by someone named misdrievous Demise in the comment section. I specifically mentioned that it was the only one that received a heart by Attacker72 and a response from him. In case you guys didn't look for the comment, here's what it said:

I know the nature of 4chan leaks, and that they should never be taken seriously.
However, this "leak" is quite unique given that it is not your typical "let me provide a string of the remaining characters that have not been released yet as pass them off as fact", and that all characters (minus Min Min) are here. So, giving this leak the benefit of a doubt, and assuming that this is going somewhere, there are a few key things to take away from this:

- BOTH Erdrick and the Luminary were listed. Considering they both became playable under the "Hero" moniker, and that NO one was predicting the name Luminary as much as Erdrick back then; that makes this a bit more interesting.

- Geno's name is not here. This coincidences with certain discussions underway then in which Geno was never taken seriously, that the creator wasn't even that interested in him, and that he returned just as a Mii Costume.

- However, this might imply that some characters listed here like Heihachi and Ezio were taken seriously at one point, only to become Miis later.

- Although her name is not there, Min Min potentially falls under the "Nintendo bias" category. Meaning, she could've easily gotten in at anytime through the planning phases of Fighter Pass 2 because of her immediate ties to Nintendo (in addition to the director of ARMS wanting her in). I believe that Byleth may also be in this bias category, but given he/she is there and NOT Eldegard (she was a hotly speculated character at the time), that is another point in this "leak's" favour.

- This also may indicate that third parties need to have a much larger window of interactions with Nintendo. This may be evidenced by how long Steve was under discussion, and how long Phil Spencer said he wanted Banjo-Kazooie in.

- Which would explain why Cuphead only got a Mii Costume when their creators openly expressed interest for him in Smash in just early 2019.

- Doomguy's name is there, indicating that Bethesda did indeed talk to Nintendo about getting him playable; like they said.

- Travis Touchdown's name is not there; which coincidences with his Mii Costume reveal.

- a Gen 8 Pokemon rep not being there adds up given they only got a DLC Spirit event, and their time to get in to promote Sword and Shield DLC has passed.

- Just the fact that EVERY DLC third party character to date is there makes this list VERY fascinating.

Apologizes for this long LONG list, but that is how much things I found with this leak that is going in its favour. This leak is worth keeping an eye on, at least.

I have seen this guy on Twitter before, and he has some really good points. He even thinks that May 11th, 2020 "leak" is fake. Likewise, he makes some excellent points here. He is a Shantae supporter, but is open to other characters joining. I wish he was here on SmashBoards.
I know people had possible explanations for it, but I still don't like how Min-Min isn't on the list but Byleth is. The list has some good picks that cover a lot of popular choices, so I'm sure at least one or two of the DLC remaining will also end up being on this list. If a possible outcome is Amaterasu, Shantae, and Spyro can be the remaining 3, I'm all for it.

I still think it's a fake text 4chan leak though, for what it's worth. Thing is, there's so many names on here it's probably too hard to vouch for it. Like, Crash, Lloyd / Yuri, and Chun-Li seem like a very possible remaining 3 and those happen to be on the list.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I know people had possible explanations for it, but I still don't like how Min-Min isn't on the list but Byleth is. The list has some good picks that cover a lot of popular choices, so I'm sure at least one or two of the DLC remaining will also end up being on this list. If a possible outcome is Amaterasu, Shantae, and Spyro can be the remaining 3, I'm all for it.

I still think it's a fake text 4chan leak though, for what it's worth. Thing is, there's so many names on here it's probably too hard to vouch for it. Like, Crash, Lloyd / Yuri, and Chun-Li seem like a very possible remaining 3 and those happen to be on the list.
Most likely Fire Emblem took longer to develop and was started well before ARMS. it had stuff to work off.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Someone in Discord claimed Shantae is not popular enough in Japanese market and doesn’t think Shantae coming to Smash. Shantae seems already big enough in Japan is she?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Someone in Discord claimed Shantae is not popular enough in Japanese market and doesn’t think Shantae coming to Smash. Shantae seems already big enough in Japan is she?
No not really, it's her disadvantage in a way. But she's much more well known than some other indies, like Shovel Knight. And she's in better standing now too, I don't know if you saw the streams she had over there showing gameplay for her games, she's definitely a good step into the japanese market now. Just, I wouldn't say she's popular... was niche and now starting to be a bit more in the mainstream.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
No not really, it's her disadvantage in a way. But she's much more well known than some other indies, like Shovel Knight. And she's in better standing now too, I don't know if you saw the streams she had over there showing gameplay for her games, she's definitely a good step into the japanese market now. Just, I wouldn't say she's popular... was niche and now starting to be a bit more in the mainstream.
Shantae used to be obscure, until the early-mid 2010s. Not to mention, given that Reimu (Touhou) suprisingly trumps Shantae, Reimu might get in, while Shantae gets a mii costume.

I don't remember Shantae trumping Shovel Knight either.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Leaks are mostly false as it is a stab in the dark. So, either Late February or March will show challenger 9.

Really, it will go around until DLC ends. So anything goes and it is an unpredictable ride Sakurai and Nintendo is delivering.
Screenshot_20210110-221514_YouTube.jpg

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Oh. Well Sakurai can still add her in because he did quote most importantly characters are fun to play, not just recognisable.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I don't remember Shantae trumping Shovel Knight either.
Shovel Knight notably bombed in Japan, and it had every advantage as you could hope for since Nintendo Published it's Japanese release. As for Reimu she has a similar hurdle. She is next to non existant outside of Japan aside from the people who live and breath video games. Most casual or hobbyist gamers outside of Japan have never played any of her games (the official ones or even the fans games) In fact I would go so far as to say that Reimu is more obscure in the west than Shantae is in the east.

Another big issue I see with Reimu is the whole fan game thing. It's a neat approach for her makers to allow such loose use of their property by fans, but it some ways it muddies the waters a bit. For Smash, they could still only use material from her official releases, because securing the rights for elements from a dozen different fan game creators would be a nightmare. That leaves her with a very limited move set that also doesn't do a good job of representing her history since so much of her history is tied to how much her creators embraced the fan created side of things... I dunno, she just seems like too much trouble to be worth a character as obscure as she is.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Oh. Well Sakurai can still add her in because he did quote most importantly characters are fun to play, not just recognisable.
Considering what you just said, that justifies why Sakurai would consider obscure 3rd party characters. Thus, we might get another obscure 3rd party character for an indie rep.

Shovel Knight notably bombed in Japan, and it had every advantage as you could hope for since Nintendo Published it's Japanese release. As for Reimu she has a similar hurdle. She is next to non existant outside of Japan aside from the people who live and breath video games. Most casual or hobbyist gamers outside of Japan have never played any of her games (the official ones or even the fans games) In fact I would go so far as to say that Reimu is more obscure in the west than Shantae is in the east.
I've already mentioned that neither Reimu or Shantae are obscure along the lines of Bayonetta or Metabee (Medabots).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well he doesn't 'just' pick japan-favorites, so that's where we just gotta be lucky that she's one they're willing to put in for her indie status, even if it's mostly outside of japan. I don't picture a Touhou character getting in, just because it's a really different situation compared to other game companies, though we've had debates around that, and I'm not going to say they have no chance, just that personally I don't think we'd see them in smash. All in all I think Shantae has some pretty good chances (as an indie rep). As far as the chances for an indie rep being in the final 3, I have no clue XD

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Salt sure is a popular seasoning for leaks isn't it? Me, I sprinkle pepper! ....What are you looking at?

If we get Lloyd and Yuri is his alt, then I hope for more Tales reps like Sorey and Velvet Crowe in there also.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's interesting that more and more Shantae merchandise is just popping up out of nowhere. And before Seven Sirens, non of this was happening for the series. I really hope this is a sign Shantae has been chosen as a DLC fighter like Banjo & Kazooie and how they got some merchandise out of nowhere right before their Smash reveal. I'm not betting all my stock on Shantae's chances, but I'm not looking away from her chances for a second because I think all this Shantae is leading to something whether that's Shantae in Smash or the Shantae brand getting more global recognition and fame or both. It's important to keep a eye out on this kind of stuff since WayForward usually doesn't have the money to produce all of this and now they suddenly have it without Kickstarter support. The money is probably coming from somewhere else but where? Is Nintendo help funding them since they have agreed to put Shantae in Smash and make her a bigger star? We just got to wait and see and see how things all plan out at the end.

Last edited:

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
It's interesting that more and more Shantae is just popping up out of nowhere. And before Seven Sirens, non of this was happening fir the series. I really hope this is a sign Shantae has been chosen as a DLC fighter like Banjo & Kazooie and how they git some merchandise out of nowhere right before their Smash reveal. I'm not betting all my stock on Shantae's chances, but I'm not looking away from her chances for a second because I think all this Shantae is leading to something whether that's Shantae in Smash or the Shantae brand getting more global recognition and fame or both. It's important to keep a eye out on this kind of stuff since WayForward usually doesn't have the money to produce all of this and now they suddenly have it without Kickstarter support. The money is probably coming from somewhere else but where? Is Nintendo help funding them since they have agreed to put Shantae in Smash and make her a bigger star? We just got to wait and see and see how things all plan out at the end.
It’s at least I hoped for but unfortunately my hopes already gone smaller until it shatters if nothing ultimate happens

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It’s at least I hoped for but unfortunately my hopes already gone smaller until it shatters if nothing ultimate happens
I'm not giving up on our girl until Sakurai sings. I might not think she has the best shot right now, but I'm certainly not counting her out until she get's in or Ultimate's roster is finished.

Last edited:

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
I'm not giving up on our girl until Sakurai sings. I might not think she has the best shot right now, but I'm certainly not counting her out until she get's in or Ultimate's roster is finished.
Well either of that, my hopes are tiny until it explodes from disappointment

Last edited:

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Regarding the previous discussion about Shantae's popularity in Japan, look at Little Mac. I heard they were not too happy about Little Mac getting into the game, and yet, here we are. Popularity in Japan may contribute to a character joining Smash, but it's not the priority reason anymore.

R RetrogamerMax The way I see it, Shantae is looking to be the next Banjo-Kazooie.

SebTheGamer SebTheGamer I remember when you were much calmer and confident before Sephiroth's reveal. You said if Shantae didn't get into the game as Fighter 8, we would still have 3 more shots, and we do, but now you've become too concerned over a video game of all things when originally you weren't. Just remember, at the end of the day, it's just a game. Also, wasn't that Japanese leak discussing what characters were considered and not saying "Chun-Li is in the game" and other stuff?

EDIT: The leak says that Ken replaced Chun-Li. Dexerto used clickbait in the title and you fell for it.

Last edited:

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Regarding the previous discussion about Shantae's popularity in Japan, look at Little Mac. I heard they were not too happy about Little Mac getting into the game, and yet, here we are. Popularity in Japan may contribute to a character joining Smash, but it's not the priority reason anymore.

R RetrogamerMax The way I see it, Shantae is looking to be the next Banjo-Kazooie.

SebTheGamer SebTheGamer I remember when you were much calmer and confident before Sephiroth's reveal. You said if Shantae didn't get into the game as Fighter 8, we would still have 3 more shots, and we do, but now you've become too concerned over a video game of all things when originally you weren't. Just remember, at the end of the day, it's just a game. Also, wasn't that Japanese leak discussing what characters were considered and not saying "Chun-Li is in the game" and other stuff?

EDIT: The leak says that Ken replaced Chun-Li. Dexerto used clickbait in the title and you fell for it.
CC, I know about all that. We talked about this before. Its just my opinion about my hopes will be shattered if there’s no point anymore. Remember you panicked bit too much or concerned too much about upcoming presentation video about Sephiroth with Shantae at risk being a Mii costume? So there. We have our differences.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I think it has been touched upon before, but characters like Little Mac or Ridley (Metroid in general) may be regarded as not popular in Japan, but they still have the upper hand of being Nintendo characters and inherently easier to get in Smash. While popularity overall does not seem to be a priority anymore as you said, I think "rules" regarding third parties are a bit more strict as they are likely harder and more expensive to get and likely want much out of them. These tend to be more universally popular characters or Japanese for easier negotiations.

I wouldn't call Shantae extremely popular in Japan but she's slowly growing. WayForward would benefit from more Japanese support, preferably from Nintendo themselves haha. From what I've seen, the games are kinda low-profile in Japan and (still) have translation issues (subtitles for animations being wonky in Seven Sirens or Google Translate-level translations). A little more polish and better distribution would do wonders. At least there's lots of merch around and the fan support is strong. Should a Smash inclusion happen (which I think could be based on either strong relationship with WF or wanting an indie character with known support), Shantae (the series) would get major recognition. Which would be amazing. But now, I feel some work is still needed, so better keep supporting.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
I think it has been touched upon before, but characters like Little Mac or Ridley (Metroid in general) may be regarded as not popular in Japan, but they still have the upper hand of being Nintendo characters and inherently easier to get in Smash. While popularity overall does not seem to be a priority anymore as you said, I think "rules" regarding third parties are a bit more strict as they are likely harder and more expensive to get and likely want much out of them. These tend to be more universally popular characters or Japanese for easier negotiations.

I wouldn't call Shantae extremely popular in Japan but she's slowly growing. WayForward would benefit from more Japanese support, preferably from Nintendo themselves haha. From what I've seen, the games are kinda low-profile in Japan and (still) have translation issues (subtitles for animations being wonky in Seven Sirens or Google Translate-level translations). A little more polish and better distribution would do wonders. At least there's lots of merch around and the fan support is strong. Should a Smash inclusion happen (which I think could be based on either strong relationship with WF or wanting an indie character with known support), Shantae (the series) would get major recognition. Which would be amazing. But now, I feel some work is still needed, so better keep supporting.
I actually tweeted to WayForward about making sure you fixed up some Japanese translations while delaying Seven Sirens. They didn’t tweeted me back which I think it might be too late idk but that was way before Seven Sirens fully released.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I actually tweeted to WayForward about making sure you fixed up some Japanese translations while delaying Seven Sirens. They didn’t tweeted me back which I think it might be too late idk but that was way before Seven Sirens fully released.
Just because they don't tweet back doesn't mean they didn't or weren't already working on it

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ok geez. I only tweeted about fixing translations.
Shinuto wasn't saying you did anything wrong ;p
If you were aware of the mistranslations though, I'm sure WF was. At least you would hope they were XD. But a small company might not always do things perfectly either.

In any case, the games are good enough and have charm enough to hope that she was at least considered as fighter.
It's a slow wait to know who's next XD

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I would say Shantae is more popular in Japan than Shovel Knight and other Indies though besides Touhou.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I would say Shantae is more popular in Japan than Shovel Knight and other Indies though besides Touhou.
Not complaining, nor am I upset, but while Shantae may be more popular, that won't make Shovel Knight or Touhou any less famous than Shantae.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
True. But I was just saying how Shantae is more popular in Japan than most western Indie franchises.
Like I've said earlier, popularity fame. You may be right to say that Shantae is more popular within Japan compared to other western indie franchises, but I still think that Shovel Knight and Touhou are more well known globally.

And why are we discussing popularities now?
I thought it was already established that popularity is not the most important thing about a chosen character.
I wasn't the one who brought it up initially.

Last edited:
Top Bottom