• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Kinda doubt we'll reach 2000 before the dlc phase ends XD but hey who knows.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It feels like the games haven't quite found their footing yet on some small aspects of gameplay, though they seem to be close on settling that in the next game or two. I think it's best to focus on that.
I hope they manage to nail it with the next one and really dive deeper with the main story and expand its universe.

However, I'd love to see them experiment as well with what else they could do with Shantae in terms of fun spin-offs/side games. This would allow them to experiment with different genres, formulas or even its characters. Delving into 3D or a different genre would definitely be fun to see. And as long as it's clearly not a part of the 'main series' I think that would be appreciated by fans.
Though I have no idea how they're currently standing financially and if they are able to take such a potential 'risk' at the moment.

But I guess time will tell what WayForward will have in store for us.
I find it difficult to want to wish for anything specific out of a game series; the idea of fun and what constitutes a good story are highly subjective. And sometimes you don't need a good reason at all to dislike a direction:

It may seem unthinkable today that anyone could hate any of the earlier Paper Mario titles, but to this person, all that mattered was that it wasn't RPG 2. And that there was even a debate at all whether changing the dance mechanics of the original Shantae was good says it all.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
1100 Pages? Yey

I wonder when the next Wayforward game will be announced?

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
+-? I am not sure if it is a good idea to have a character whose playstyle depends on what moves you have recently used and are currently using.
?

I'm slightly confused here. Are you talking about the transformations? Those can quickly be phased in/cancelled out for balancing, or even glued to a simple command input.

Other than that, Shantae can be pretty straightforward by using her hair in tandem with flexible fighting skill and zoning tools largely provided via magic like the Storm Puff, Pike Balls, or Spit Fire.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
SO, dataminers found evidence of a "pro" model switch in the latest firmware update. If it is close to coming along I imagine they will want to announce it soon. Should be interesting.
Hmmm I wonder if they'd even announce it January? You think it'd launch with BotW2?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just in case you didn't know, Monster Hunter World Demo is now available on the Switch Eshop

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'll just leave this here.

Make of that response as you will.
Vitamin Connection had underrated timing releasing in 2020; the game's closing message was pretty poignant with everything in the real world happening around it.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
I saw this image of indies in smash on Twitter and thought man I’m so proud of our girl being recognized by Sakurai, I still hope Shantae can still make it in as a playable character in this fighter's pass or at the very least I’ll take a Mii costume just to have something.

4EC389B1-E5AC-434B-84C1-10149C4F9525.jpeg

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I saw this image of indies in smash on Twitter and thought man I’m so proud of our girl being recognized by Sakurai I still hope Shantae can still make it in as a playable character or at the very least I’ll take Mii costume just to have something.View attachment 298623
I seem to notice after looking at this image that Shovel Knight, Shantae, and Cuphead are the only Indie franchises with Spirits in the game. With Shantae and Risky having Spirits, it really shows we have caught Sakurai's curiosity even if it's a bit. Hopefully he can see the bigger picture and put her in as a fighter at some point.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Yeah man, just look at all those great Banjo-Kazooie games Microsoft had Rare commision since their buyout
Fantastic passive aggressive burn. lol

I was just thinking about the LRG orders on the Shantae orig and RR... When did that close again? I tried to search my email, but LRG sends daily emails. Are approaching the time they're going to start shipping?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
my blaster master copies are still in Smynra or however you spell it in Tennessee. stupid postal service ruined by current government officials and covid (mostly government)

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
The list leak receives coverage again. Not only that, but check out the comment left by misdrievous Demise in the comment section. It appears to be the only comment that got a heart and a response from the uploader. Trust me, when you read it, you will see why. He brings up so many great points in this comment. Anyways, here's the video: https://youtu.be/bxopo2zx5kA

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So, apparently some of the DSi Ware titles that were removed from the 3DS store have reappeared. Among them the original Risky's Revenge is there. So if any of you hadn't gotten it yet on your 3DS and were upset when it was removed, this may be your last chance!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So, apparently some of the DSi Ware titles that were removed from the 3DS store have reappeared. Among them the original Risky's Revenge is there. So if any of you hadn't gotten it yet on your 3DS and were upset when it was removed, this may be your last chance!
Hmm. wonder if it was just an error before.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Hmm. wonder if it was just an error before.
Seeing as it was targeting all games released prior to a certain date as opposed to randomly chosen or otherwise selective removals, it was absolutely just a glitch. Coding is VERY messy work and sometimes unexpected things can happen that you just have to fix when they appear.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Unrelated to Shantae in Smash, but one fighting game just announced a character I have been hoping for for a long time.

Been too long since we've seen Cham Cham in a main line game. Happy to have the little boomerang throwing catgirl back.
I've never played Samurai Shodown, but Cham Cham looks like a very cool character in design and gameplay being a cat girl with a boomerang.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
A
Seeing as it was targeting all games released prior to a certain date as opposed to randomly chosen or otherwise selective removals, it was absolutely just a glitch. Coding is VERY messy work and sometimes unexpected things can happen that you just have to fix when they appear.
Mighty FLip Champs is back I cn get it and Milky Way and Aura Aura CLimber

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
More unrelated news, but surprising no one Limited Run Games announced that they will be doing a physical release of the Scott Pilgrim game. Pre-orders will start on the 15th this month. I'll be getting the standard edition because the special edition is super pricey.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Anyone concerned about some WayForward games being pulled out of the 3DS eshop, they were put back in.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Hey guys with the new year starting and my last hope going for Shantae after Geno and Isaac, I wanted to leave this here. I made another animatic for our half genie girl like I did with the previous two. Its my memories of speculating for Shantae over the years.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I know this guy is just presenting a theory, but "Icons Deconfirm" sounds exactly like "Spirits Deconfirm", a fan rule that was shot down by Min-Min. Icons do not deconfirm, as they have no impact on Smash: https://youtu.be/4Ryi9TgcQpI
I find it to be more sus that her icon is the only 3rd party icon that isn't an Assist Trophy icon, or not attached to a franchise with a playable rep. It's also at the very end of the list, just like Shantae's spirits were before DLC. Suggests to me that they were added near the end of base game development, around the time that plans for future DLC would've likely been ramping up. I find it to be just as possible that these are indications the Shantae series was on Nintendo's mind at the time, and could possibly mean that hers was a franchise that got a little representation before they got around to adding more to it later. As it would be at least a couple years until that would happen.

I feel like ARMS and FF7's representation in the base game could be compared to this idea. The Party Crash Bash started a couple weeks before Smash Ultimate released in 2018, which suggests that they already had plans to throw in an ARMS Fighter for DLC once they determined the most popular picks after the 8 month long popularity tournament. FF7 had no extra content whatsoever upon Ultimate's release despite all the other 3rd party DLC characters from Smash for Wii U/3DS getting more. This suggests that they were also holding off content to add in later for that franchise. And I think it's very possible that we'll see Monster Hunter follow the same pattern, as that franchise has a Rathalos Assist/Boss/Spirit. And nothing else as far as I know.

Fighters Pass 2 might be the pass where franchises that were lightly represented in the base game are finally getting the character updates to fill them out more. As to why Fighter's Pass 1 doesn't have any similar patterns for any of the playable characters is anyone's guess. If you ask me it's because Nintendo didn't feel the need to throw any bones to those franchises in base game due to it not taking literal years for the first 5 DLC updates to happen, and also because the first 5 DLC characters were guaranteed. Everyone was aware that it would take multiple years for Fighter's Pass 2 to get through its planned character lineup. On top of that if for whatever reason Fighter's Pass 1 sold terribly (funny thought, I know), Nintendo would be in their right to cancel further DLC plans. And at least those franchises that were negotiated to get more playable characters sometime down the line would at least be somewhat represented in the base game to avoid completely screwing the companies who own those franchises over.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hey guys with the new year starting and my last hope going for Shantae after Geno and Isaac, I wanted to leave this here. I made another animatic for our half genie girl like I did with the previous two. Its my memories of speculating for Shantae over the years.
Great video. Hopefully our girl makes it in. We shouldn't give up until the end.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Oh snap I just realized during the end credits of World of Light, I spotted WayForward/BOZON company name in it at the very last so I guess they’ll go with it to join other company’s names if Shantae joins in as DLC or next Smash game which I honestly would hate to wait for another few years. I think it also connects to Shantae and Risky being the last spirits in the inventory list. Wait does that mean WayForward‘s company name already joined the game and deconfirms Shantae or something? Hope not.
600B0C53-AFA5-4EF8-BDBB-2E9FC132CA7F.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom