• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To calm down every other user in here, have a wholesome picture of Shantae plushie with friends.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

By the way, McLeodGaming is bringing its very own Smash-a-like via Kickstarter now, starring indies.

One of the stretch goals will currently add a new additional character, whoever they may be.

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
That's debatable, but I don't want to debate, I just dont think visual novels are eligible unless they have actual gameplay elements like pheonix wright.
Visual novels are games. That’s just kind of an objective truth.

Even Sakurai thinks so.

Sakurai: Yes (laughs). If you pull up a list of game designers born in 1970, there’s quite a few big names: Hideki Kamiya (Bayonetta),Fumito Ueda (ICO), Yoko Taro (NieR series), Jin Fujisawa and Yosuke Saito (Dragon Quest X), Chiyomaru Shikura (Steins;Gate), and the late Kenji Eno (D and others).”

Steins;Gate is about as traditional a visual novel gameplay-wise you can get. Admittedly, most visual novel characters probably wouldn’t work well as fighters unless combat is a big part of their story, but nothing stopping them from being a costume or spirit.

By the way, McLeodGaming is bringing its very own Smash-a-like via Kickstarter now, starring indies.

One of the stretch goals will currently add a new additional character, whoever they may be.
Cool to see the RoA Orca go from Vaporeon to its own character to now a mascot!

Also wow that Fancy Pants Man assist struck me right in the childhood. Still remember that amazing momentum you could get in his games, and maining him in Newgrounds Rumble.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Visual novels are games. That’s just kind of an objective truth.

Even Sakurai thinks so.

Sakurai: Yes (laughs). If you pull up a list of game designers born in 1970, there’s quite a few big names: Hideki Kamiya (Bayonetta),Fumito Ueda (ICO), Yoko Taro (NieR series), Jin Fujisawa and Yosuke Saito (Dragon Quest X), Chiyomaru Shikura (Steins;Gate), and the late Kenji Eno (D and others).”

Steins;Gate is about as traditional a visual novel gameplay-wise you can get. Admittedly, most visual novel characters probably wouldn’t work well as fighters unless combat is a big part of their story, but nothing stopping them from being a costume or spirit.

Cool to see the RoA Orca go from Vaporeon to its own character to now a mascot!

Also wow that Fancy Pants Man assist struck me right in the childhood. Still remember that amazing momentum you could get in his games, and maining him in Newgrounds Rumble.
I didn't say they can't be considered games, though he was talking about game designers. I said I don't think they'll count for smash.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I didn't say they can't be considered games, though he was talking about game designers. I said I don't think they'll count for smash.
Thats what I mean though. Why wouldn’t they count for smash?

It just seems like another argument with no reason to exist other than putting down something that people might want to talk about or hope for. Like saying spirits or indies can’t be fighters just because.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Thats what I mean though. Why wouldn’t they count for smash?

It just seems like another argument with no reason to exist other than putting down something that people might want to talk about or hope for. Like saying spirits or indies can’t be fighters just because.
Because there's not enough gameplay. It's like if you put a manga into game format.
Anyone can have opinions, it's my opinion, please dont say it has no reason to exist.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Because there's not enough gameplay. It's like if you put a manga into game format.
Anyone can have opinions, it's my opinion, please dont say it has no reason to exist.
Considering that literally anyone or anything can become playable in Smash if Sak sets his mind to it, I've learned to largely stop questioning that kind of thing. Made my life easier.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Considering that literally anyone or anything can become playable in Smash if Sak sets his mind to it, I've learned to largely stop questioning that kind of thing. Made my life easier.
I just don't think it'll happen for a VN, that's all. Don't really care if it does.

Dukefire

Smash Master
So, do you think a smash reveal could happen before, during or after the VGA?

Still, anything is possible with Sakurai holding the invites. (except for non-video game characters)

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Well, the Game Awards are creeping closer each day. Also, for those that are curious which games are competing for the Game of the Year award. Here are the titles:
Animal Crossing New Horizons
Doom Eternal
Hades
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Ghost of Tsushima
The Last of Us Part 2
I haven't played any of those. I did see let's plays of some.

Personally I'm hoping for Ghost of Tsushima or Doom Eternal.

Expecting games "journalists" to shill for TLOU2.

Still, anything is possible with Sakurai holding the invites. (except for non-video game characters)
I think during.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman

I’m personally hoping we get one; it will be only 2 months after Steve though so the most I’m expecting is a cinematic trailer, like they did with Joker. But hey, I’m hopeful for anything!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Good news, Fraymakers just broke through its first stretch goal, with one of the future ones being another additional character.

I’m personally hoping we get one; it will be only 2 months after Steve though so the most I’m expecting is a cinematic trailer, like they did with Joker. But hey, I’m hopeful for anything!
Perfectly reasonable expectation, if you ask me. Devs are quite aware that cinematic trailers are what really gets fans excited.

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Perfectly reasonable expectation, if you ask me. Devs are quite aware that cinematic trailers are what really gets fans excited.
Don't forget that cinematic trailers are made months in advance. If I recall correctly, the Min-Min cinematic was made in May.
Yep. Plus I mean, it’s handled by different teams than the game designers and programmers. Fingers crossed!

Well, the Game Awards are creeping closer each day. Also, for those that are curious which games are competing for the Game of the Year award. Here are the titles:
Animal Crossing New Horizons
Doom Eternal
Hades
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Ghost of Tsushima
The Last of Us Part 2
Of that list, I’m hoping it’s Ghost of Tsushima, dark horse hoping it’s Hades, but regrettably expecting it to be TLOU2. Also funny to see Doom, Hades, FF7R, Ghost of Tsushima, and TLOU2 show up in almost every category. Kinda hammers home how much had to get delayed this year in its own macabre way.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I didnt really care too much for the nominations, though seeing ori and a few other small games is nice.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I know this is a little off topic for this thread. What type of art style and possible theme would the selected character(s) get for their cinematic trailer?

ARMS got that comic style appearance to fight for the invite.
Terry got the original homage to his arcade game.
Joker got Persona 5 art style for his reveal at VGA 2018 and character analysis video.
Banjo & Kazooie follows after King K Rool's trailer.
Byleth is literally FE Three Houses cutscene following after the dark sealing.
Hero is 3D like in DQ XI with III, IV and VIII. A light cutting through the darkness.
Steve is a man to mine his way after crafting the tools with others to follows.

Edit: I wonder how the music shifting from Animal Crossing to Doom Eternal would work out during the Game of the Year Music performance?

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Once again, be warned of Age of Calamity spoilers.

Lots of trolls that straight up telling people that this game is non canon and stuff.
(Which isn't clear at this point.)

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
I heard that last year's TGA was really bad. I think the hosts are looking to improve upon last year with stuff people actually want, like Smash Fighter 8.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Lol well it's not up to them.
It would be a good time for nintendo to announce though.
Yep. All that's needed is a cinematic trailer so we know who is the next Fighter and we're all good.

Now then, I heard that December 10th is Doom's anniversary, which is the same day TGA 2020 begins. Well, before FP2 even began, Doomguy was seemingly deconfirmed by the Doom devs themselves. Plus, Doom is now a Microsoft IP. Are we really going to get another Microsoft rep? Nah, I strongly doubt that. Plus, Doom has several issues with getting into Smash, especially since it is more violent than Persona, Bayonetta and Metal Gear Solid. If Doomguy was toned down, it would betray the nature of his series. As such, I think Doomguy is better off as DLC for Mortal Kombat 11, where he can get in with no issues.

I also wanna touch on Donald Mustard saying "No comment" on Fortnite in Smash. At best, it is most likely going to be a Suda51 situation. A Fortnite character is better off as a Mii Gunner, since as a Fighter, it would just be a copy of Steve, due to the fact that they can both build around the stage. They even use the same method of gaining materials. The only real difference is that a Fortnite character can use guns, but that would make them too overpowered as that is their main method of attacking. Hence, they are more suited to the Mii Gunner role. We also already have Steve as our modern gaming character pick, with Fortnite being too recent to be coming to Smash. If it was a Nintendo owned IP, it would have stronger chances, but it isn't a Nintendo IP. All of this combined would make a Fortnite character a huge waste of a slot. Why would Sakurai be hyped to reveal a Fortnite character anyway? That wouldn't make sense.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
aughgh finally the shipping notification for my Shantae CE came into my email!
If it's about the first game, then my contact should be receiving that e-mail too.

Mii Gunners fit them better, to be honest.
As long as Slayer's series doesn't get an embarrassing rename because ERSB/NOA wants us to think of the children.

Besides, the Microsoft deal wouldn't have been finalized at the time the content negotiation happened, but whatever. 🤷‍♂️

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
If it's about the first game, then my contact should be receiving that e-mail too.

As long as Slayer's series doesn't get an embarrassing rename because ERSB/NOA wants us to think of the children.

Besides, the Microsoft deal wouldn't have been finalized at the time the content negotiation happened, but whatever. 🤷‍♂️
No it's Seven Sirens CE.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I heard that last year's TGA was really bad. I think the hosts are looking to improve upon last year with stuff people actually want, like Smash Fighter 8.
As someone who watched the 2019 TGA, it was REALLY bad. Announcements were fairly sparse, thanks mostly to Sony and Microsoft hinting towards their upcoming consoles more than any actual games, and Nintendo having basically no presence besides No More Heroes 3 (the one announcement that genuinely excited me of the whole night) and more of Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3.

I missed the 2018 TGA because I was standing in line for the midnight Smash release (found out about joker because someone literally texted me “TGDGFJAVHDGAA JOKER”) but watched it afterwards, and it was leagues better.

I’ve actually got some high hopes for games announcements overall, since PS5 and Xbox Series have finally released, so we should be hearing more from them. As for Nintendo, hopefully they’re picking back up steam from the pandemic and after not having an E3 or any major directs since last year, they might have a nugget or two to share or even tease at. Fingers crossed.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
As someone who watched the 2019 TGA, it was REALLY bad. Announcements were fairly sparse, thanks mostly to Sony and Microsoft hinting towards their upcoming consoles more than any actual games, and Nintendo having basically no presence besides No More Heroes 3 (the one announcement that genuinely excited me of the whole night) and more of Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3.

I missed the 2018 TGA because I was standing in line for the midnight Smash release (found out about joker because someone literally texted me “TGDGFJAVHDGAA JOKER”) but watched it afterwards, and it was leagues better.

I’ve actually got some high hopes for games announcements overall, since PS5 and Xbox Series have finally released, so we should be hearing more from them. As for Nintendo, hopefully they’re picking back up steam from the pandemic and after not having an E3 or any major directs since last year, they might have a nugget or two to share or even tease at. Fingers crossed.
I have my fingers crossed for a Shantae for Smash reveal. I believe she is next, and The Game Awards 2020 is a decent way to start the hype.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not to mention, final announcement was for The Fast & The Furious. Which wasn't even a good game. I'm embarrassed for Dwayne Johnson right now.

And after the two Developers' Showcase we got earlier this year (which had only Crash 4 and Panzer Paladin as things that interested me), one can understand why I'm a bit hesitant about Geoff's next event.

I have my fingers crossed for any character, don't really care which right now. I just don't want to waste my free time again.

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Oh! I forgot to mention this as part of Shantae's road to Smash!

WayForward does not retweet anything, and I mean anything, that has something to do with Smash Bros. Besides the obvious Smash posts, they do not retweet regular fan art that contains the Shantae for Smash hashtag. Perhaps all of WayForward is under NDA. They cannot talk about it.

Dukefire

Smash Master
That and the fanbase of grabbing anything that could be for Smash Bros. The frenzy for getting the character's invite is crazy and can backfire if hyped too much to being a false truth

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
That and the fanbase of grabbing anything that could be for Smash Bros. The frenzy for getting the character's invite is crazy and can backfire if hyped too much to being a false truth
I think all the hints being sprinkled is leading the Shantae for Smash cause in the right direction. I truly believe CP8 is our girl's time to shine.

Top Bottom