• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
2020, the year of WayForward and Shantae, is still not over yet. There is still a chance we can get one more Fighter reveal, given the fact that Japan is getting involved in this year's The Game Awards. And I bet that Fighter 8 is the hair-whipping waifu herself.
Well the Shovel Knight assist trophy could indicate that we will be getting an indie rep in fighters pass 2.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So me just replying to someone with an honest opinion is whining.
Right... <_<
It's not really something that's worth getting upset over; it's like going into the Rate Their Chances thread on this forum and getting upset at someone who thinks that a character that you want is unlikely. A lot of this boils down to differences of opinion on the character's likelihood, though if there are incorrect assumptions being made, there are ways to correct that. (I haven't watched the video yet, so I'm not sure what reasoning was used)

Also, T The Robot Dump if you have more details to add to a post, use the edit button rather than posting twice in a row.

Last edited:

kazoka122

Smash Cadet
It's not really something that's worth getting upset over; it's like going into the Rate Their Chances thread on this forum and badmouthing someone who thinks that a character that you want is unlikely. A lot of this boils down to differences of opinion on the character's likelihood, though if there are incorrect assumptions being made, there are ways to correct that. (I haven't watched the video yet, so I'm not sure what reasoning was used)

Also, T The Robot Dump if you have more details to add to a post, use the edit button rather than posting twice in a row.
Reasoning used is Steve taking the indie spot and bigger western reps being looked at (crash) . He thinks she is going to be a Mii costume instead. I must stress that he gave her a 20% with the intent of having a look at her again. I dont think he dislikes her.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Also, T The Robot Dump T The Robot Dump if you have more details to add to a post, use the edit button rather than posting twice in a row.
My apologies.

Question regarding that Matt Bozen interview. Does anyone have a source of the exact day it happened? I've been hearing things like the interview being before fight we pass 1 was announced.

I posted a Tweet thread before explaining why Matt talking about Smash doesn't mean anything for Shantae's chances as a Fighter. Also, Matt didn't talk about Smash when asked about it on the Reddit AMA, which occurred months after the June Interview.

Well the Shovel Knight assist trophy could indicate that we will be getting an indie rep in fighters pass 2.
Shovel Knight being an Assist Trophy, as well as some indies being Miis, does show that Nintendo is acknowledging indie games. But, it is only a matter of time before we get an actual indie rep. An interesting thing is that Nintendo only ever approached Yacht Club with the intention of making SK an Assist Trophy rather than a Fighter.

kazoka122

Smash Cadet
My apologies.

I posted a Tweet thread before explaining why Matt talking about Smash doesn't mean anything for Shantae's chances as a Fighter. Also, Matt didn't talk about Smash when asked about it on the Reddit AMA, which occurred months after the June Interview.

Shovel Knight being an Assist Trophy, as well as some indies being Miis, does show that Nintendo is acknowledging indie games. But, it is only a matter of time before we get an actual indie rep. An interesting thing is that Nintendo only ever approached Yacht Club with the intention of making SK an Assist Trophy rather than a Fighter.
So it did happen in June 2020? I heard that it was "posted" June 2020 (With the actual interview being done much earlier)

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Pretty sure that interview would have been posted as soon as it was done already. Why would they wait a long period of time just to release it to the public?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You're right, of course.
And again, with Smash being as unpredictable as it has proven itself to be over the years, there really is no telling what could happen.
Which also means there is no point in serious speculation, as it could all be wrong and meaningless in the end.
In fact, it has happened countless times already, when characters like Joker or Terry made it into the game.
Characters that came completely out of left field, with no hints or popular demand.
So me personally, I just don't see the point in speculating something as unpredictable as Smash, that has gone against popular expectations countless times and will keep doing so, for as long as the series and its soul is alive.

Of course, Shantae being in Smash as a Spirit is a victory already. And it certainly cements her long-term success, after a rough start. : 3
However, actually playing as her in Smash, would be an experience that makes the whole thing feel complete.
Anything is meaningless by itself. People speculate because it brings them something to talk about and 'try' to predict, which can be fun as well. The problem I have is the lack of openness with some, like making solid fan rules (one of which was broken with min min's spirit) and all that. Like, I find speculation can be fun, but as part of discussing, not a rigid competition of opinions, if that makes sense :)

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Anything is meaningless by itself. People speculate because it brings them something to talk about and 'try' to predict, which can be fun as well. The problem I have is the lack of openness with some, like making solid fan rules (one of which was broken with min min's spirit) and all that. Like, I find speculation can be fun, but as part of discussing, not a rigid competition of opinions, if that makes sense :)
But with all those petty clout chasers and attention seekers poisoning that well, I guess it got robbed of all the integrity it once had...

Teeb147

Smash Legend
But with all those petty clout chasers and attention seekers poisoning that well, I guess it got robbed of all the integrity it once had...
Eh, there's some of that anywhere. Socializing online can carry that. But I do think it's not as fun as it could be to speculate, which is why I don't do it as much as I used to.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I can agree as well. That's something that cannot be taken lightly as some can be..........aggressive to their opinion.
Screenshot_20201022-083313_YouTube.jpg

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Eh, there's some of that anywhere. Socializing online can carry that. But I do think it's not as fun as it could be to speculate, which is why I don't do it as much as I used to.
I can agree as well. That's something that cannot be taken lightly as some can be..........aggressive to their opinion.
View attachment 290096
Yeah. Though I will probably never comprehend what's so great about speculation, I can at least see how it's better off without the aggressive kind.
Unfortunately, with how big Smash got, I guess we have to live with it now.
People take things way too seriously... <<;

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. Though I will probably never comprehend what's so great about speculation, I can at least see how it's better off without the aggressive kind.
Unfortunately, with how big Smash got, I guess we have to live with it now.
People take things way too seriously... <<;
<Forum about Newcomer Speculation.>
"I don't like speculation."
I'm sorry that person snapped at you earlier, but I have a hard time understanding what you're getting at here. Everyone here is speculating because that's what the board is about. I get it if you just don't like the video, and I agree that videos like that are usually pointless, but just repeating over and over the obvious "speculation is pointless because anything can happen" sentiment is a pointless endeavor in and of itself. We all know that already, but we discuss a character's chances anyway and provide new information to further those opinions because that's what this forum is for.

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Alright, can we please stop discussing this? It's been dragged out for far too long and I'm sure a lot of people here have become bored of it.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I want to offer up my personal list on the characters I think have a good chance of being one of the four dlc for the rest of the Fighter Pass.

Crash
Shantae
Reimu
Ryu Hayabusa
Rex & Pyra
Geno
Rayman
2B
Sol Badguy
Phoenix Wright

I'll be surprised if any of the character packs yet revealed end up being a character NOT on this list.
That's it, what do all of you think of this? Do you think some characters should be added/taken away? Why?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I want to offer up my personal list on the characters I think have a good chance of being one of the four dlc for the rest of the Fighter Pass.

Crash
Shantae
Reimu
Ryu Hayabusa
Rex & Pyra
Geno
Rayman
2B
Sol Badguy
Phoenix Wright

I'll be surprised if any of the character packs yet revealed end up being a character NOT on this list.
That's it, what do all of you think of this? Do you think some characters should be added/taken away? Why?
Heh. I don't think any of them will be in, maybe except Shantae XD

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

Crash
Shantae
Reimu
Ryu Hayabusa
Rex & Pyra
Geno
Rayman
2B
Sol Badguy
Phoenix Wright

Dante and a Bravely Default character also have a pretty good shot, IMO.

The former is one of Capcom's most popular characters with a recent critically acclaimed release and the first three games being ported to Switch with new features, and the latter was a standout RPG series on the 3DS with a new game coming out soon for the Switch.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Dante I dont see due to stuff saif by people part of the series staff. and BD just not enough support. but maybe

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Support isn't exactly the best way to gauge what characters could get in, though.

We wouldn't have characters like Joker and Terry if that were the case.
Indeed.
What it takes for a character to get selected is so malleable...
Each and every character seems to have completely different reasons behind their inclusion.

Which is why you should never get too confident with your theories and stuff...

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Indeed.
What it takes for a character to get selected is so malleable...
Each and every character seems to have completely different reasons behind their inclusion.

Which is why you should never get too confident with your theories and stuff...
Not upset nor complaining/ranting, but lets just discount the fact about Ren (Persona), and Terry (King of Fighters) not being highly requested.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Not upset nor complaining/ranting, but lets just discount the fact about Ren (Persona), and Terry (King of Fighters) not being highly requested.
Why should we?
They are still characters that made it into the game, that nobody wanted, in a sense.
Which clearly proves that characters can make it into the game, even if they don't have a massive fanbase whining about them.

Why ignore that fact and pretend only the characters that people want will be in the game from now on?

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Why should we?
They are still characters that made it into the game, that nobody wanted, in a sense.
Which clearly proves that characters can make it into the game, even if they don't have a massive fanbase whining about them.

Why ignore that fact and pretend only the characters that people want will be in the game from now on?
When I say "discount" I meant that Ren (Persona), and Terry (King of Fighters) still merit to be playable, despite not being highly requested.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
When I say "discount" I meant that Ren (Persona), and Terry (King of Fighters) still merit to be playable, despite not being highly requested.
Eh. I didn't care for Terry at all, I felt Ryu and Ken did a good enough job of having fighting characters in the game and that Terry didn't really add anything meaningful, but I know Sakurai likes the early fighters I think. I'm biased against Terry anyway.

Dukefire

Smash Master
This is just another fan site to see people's votes of what they want. On the Global Smash Roster site, here is what the people are currently cheering for. (You can see site yourself for the full view here.)
Screenshot_20201024-171942_Chrome.jpg

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
This is just another fan site to see people's votes of what they want. On the Global Smash Roster site, here is what the people are currently cheering for. (You can see site yourself for the full view here.)
Keep in mind this is yet another “insular internet community fan poll”. Meaning it reflects more about the small percent of people interested in Smash that frequent these sorts of websites.

And that polls such as this are easily brigaded. It gets posted almost every day in a TF2 subreddit which is why half of the Mercs are in the top 25.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Keep in mind this is yet another “insular internet community fan poll”. Meaning it reflects more about the small percent of people interested in Smash that frequent these sorts of websites.

And that polls such as this are easily brigaded. It gets posted almost every day in a TF2 subreddit which is why half of the Mercs are in the top 25.
I don't really believe these fan polls since we already know that the roster is locked in. It is just the matter of people's thoughts when the next challenger appears.
Screenshot_20201017-092016_YouTube.jpg

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The official Famitsu twitter announced that they’re going to host a livestream showing off Shantae and the Seven Sirens on the 29th! To get this kind of recognition from such a major Japanese games media outlet is a big deal for a western indie game!

Another big brownie point to add to Shantae's chances. WreckitRyan WreckitRyan where you at?!

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Eh. I didn't care for Terry at all, I felt Ryu and Ken did a good enough job of having fighting characters in the game and that Terry didn't really add anything meaningful, but I know Sakurai likes the early fighters I think. I'm biased against Terry anyway.
I agree. I think Terry bothered me the most because we already had Ken. If Ken wasn't in Terry wouldn't have seemed so redundant.

They might pay differently, but visually and esthetically they are too similar.

And SNK is so famous for their roster of popular female characters, it just seemed like the perfect time for fighter pass 1 to get it's first purely female character.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I don't mind Terry one bit and I don't get the hate.

I like him as a character and he actually introduced me to the Fatal Fury series.
Which I honestly vastly prefer to the Street Fighter series now.
So he is a worthy character for Smash in my book, for that alone. : 3

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't mind Terry one bit and I don't get the hate.

I like him as a character and he actually introduced me to the Fatal Fury series.
Which I honestly vastly prefer to the Street Fighter series now.
So he is a worthy character for Smash in my book, for that alone. : 3
Everyone has preferences. But I do think another character would've been more worthwhile.

I hate the fighting game inputs into smash, I move around a lot and it just doesn't work with how i play, and I know quite a few who don't like it too. It was cool for Ryu, and then we got Ken, I thought that was enough to rep fighting games. Someone else could've taken the spot and been more original.

If it had to be another fithing rep, I would've been more ok with Nakoruru, since we were low on female characters and also she's more interesting, different than just another street fighter, plus she'd rep not just king of fighters but Samurai Showdown as well, which is one of my favorite fighting game series.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Everyone has preferences. But I do think another character would've been more worthwhile.

I hate the fighting game inputs into smash, I move around a lot and it just doesn't work with how i play, and I know quite a few who don't like it too. It was cool for Ryu, and then we got Ken, I thought that was enough to rep fighting games. Someone else could've taken the spot and been more original.

I would've been more ok with Nakoruru, since we were low on female characters and also she's more interesting, different than just another street fighter, plus she'd rep not just king of fighters but Samurai Showdown as well, which is one of my favorite fighting game series.
If I could have any SNK fighter I would have wanted Cham Cham. She's a cat girl with a monkey sidekick and fights with a ridiculously oversized boomerang. What's not to love?

Tho I would have also been ok with Athena to more rep the history of the company.

Realistically tho, Nakoruru would have made sense and would have still brought plenty of variety to the game. But no use crying over spilled milk at this point.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If I could have any SNK fighter I would have wanted Cham Cham. She's a cat girl with a monkey sidekick and fights with a ridiculously oversized boomerang. What's not to love?

Tho I would have also been ok with Athena to more rep the history of the company.

Realistically tho, Nakoruru would have made sense and would have still brought plenty of variety to the game. But no use crying over spilled milk at this point.
I have a small cham cham figure :)
She's been in less games, but if they'd decided on her I wouldn't have complained :p And yeah Athena is pretty well known. I haven't played with her much, from what I recall I didn't like her moveset that much, but I still like her style.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I have a small cham cham figure :)
She's been in less games, but if they'd decided on her I wouldn't have complained :p And yeah Athena is pretty well known. I haven't played with her much, from what I recall I didn't like her moveset that much, but I still like her style.
I meant old school Athena. The Athena you are thinking of is supposed to be her ancestor or something like that. The one I meant was from an action platformer from way back.

And yeah, I know Cham Cham has no chance of getting in Smash (She has enough trouble getting into SamSho games anymore) I'm just saying if the decision was purely up to me.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I meant old school Athena. The Athena you are thinking of is supposed to be her ancestor or something like that. The one I meant was from an action platformer from way back.

And yeah, I know Cham Cham has no chance of getting in Smash (She has enough trouble getting into SamSho games anymore) I'm just saying if the decision was purely up to me.
Oh ok I didn't know they were only related. I did play the original athena game, not bad for it's time. And.. purple hair is always nice :p

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
Oh ok I didn't know they were only related. I did play the original athena game, not bad for it's time. And.. purple hair is always nice :p
Well there's a remix of World of Forest included in the KoF Stadium music list, although I doubt OG Athena would show up in person for obvious reasons.

Top Bottom