• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Only reason I can think is because of it initially being published by Capcom, and thus there may be an additional step to getting it on the EShop. Nothing that would STOP it from appearing, but maybe just an extra step that would take a bit more time.
No, the eshop version on the 3ds does not have capcom's logo in it.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Maybe it has to do with updating the Original GBC coding to match with the Switch and physical reproduction.

Still, I have pre-ordered the Original in GBC cartridge.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
On a sillier note, I thought about something when going back over old reveal trailers for fun as one does.

Simply put, I was thinking about the DK trailer gag, where it starts with the lineup of characters facing off against their foes, only to cut to the DK residence where they’d be surprised by a fakeout reveal and finally the actual character. I was wondering that if they already reused the joke once, if they might follow the Rule of 3 and have it show up again in this DLC pass, and what sort of character would fit in it.

The first time, the character connection was obvious. DK and Diddy see K Rool, their series villain.

The second time, they all see Banjo via their connected history with Rare. The villain lineup in the start of the trailer is more of a tie to the first trailer than a tie to the character reveal.

And a potential third time? What if Shantae is the one who gets the fakeout, but since none of them have any to her they remain confused...

Until she whips out the Monkey Dance and suddenly DK and Diddy are hyped.

The big issue for me is who would fill the role of the Shantae fake out. Samus has the immediate tie to her spirit battle and having a ponytail, but the trolling costume fakeout fits the personalities of Dedede and Duck Hunt, not her. Maybe someone completely unrelated for an extra ‘what the hell‘ factor and sprucing up the joke the third time around? Seeing Shantae’s silhouette warp into somehow being someone like Wario would be ridiculous and I’d love it.

Obviously this is a big silly idea and should not be taken seriously as a theory in the least. But hey, Shantae’s Monkey form is easily her most iconic alternate form, even appearing in the Seven Sirens intro despite not being in the game... so maybe it would appear in a reveal trailer to connect them to the Donkey Kong Joke!

Please, don’t take this too seriously.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
On a sillier note, I thought about something when going back over old reveal trailers for fun as one does.

Simply put, I was thinking about the DK trailer gag, where it starts with the lineup of characters facing off against their foes, only to cut to the DK residence where they’d be surprised by a fakeout reveal and finally the actual character. I was wondering that if they already reused the joke once, if they might follow the Rule of 3 and have it show up again in this DLC pass, and what sort of character would fit in it.

The first time, the character connection was obvious. DK and Diddy see K Rool, their series villain.

The second time, they all see Banjo via their connected history with Rare. The villain lineup in the start of the trailer is more of a tie to the first trailer than a tie to the character reveal.

And a potential third time? What if Shantae is the one who gets the fakeout, but since none of them have any to her they remain confused...

The big issue for me is who would fill the role of the Shantae fake out. Samus has the immediate tie to her spirit battle and having a ponytail, but the trolling costume fakeout fits the personalities of Dedede and Duck Hunt, not her. Maybe someone completely unrelated for an extra ‘what the hell‘ factor and sprucing up the joke the third time around? Seeing Shantae’s silhouette warp into somehow being someone like Wario would be ridiculous and I’d love it.

Obviously this is a big silly idea and should not be taken seriously as a theory in the least. But hey, Shantae’s Monkey form is easily her most iconic alternate form, even appearing in the Seven Sirens intro despite not being in the game... so maybe it would appear in a reveal trailer to connect them to the Donkey Kong Joke!

It's perfect. Another fakeout trailer would do Shantae wonders, especially since she, like King K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie, is a highly requested character, and it would be fitting to give her such a trailer. Perhaps Banjo can be with DK, Diddy and K. Rool as well!

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
It's perfect. Another fakeout trailer would do Shantae wonders, especially since she, like King K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie, is a highly requested character, and it would be fitting to give her such a trailer. Perhaps Banjo can be with DK, Diddy and K. Rool as well!
Banjo & Kazooie fit cause they're known for transforming too.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I have to explain this again, it seems.

Those two trailers were for characters related to Rare. Using any characters other than them doesn't make sense.

I know that this is a spur of the moment, but I honestly don't see it. If anything, it would be more logical to have a trailer with characters that were born on the Game Boy.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

Those two trailers were for characters related to Rare. Using any characters other than them doesn't make sense.

I know that this is a spur of the moment, but I honestly don't see it. If anything, it would be more logical to have a trailer with characters that were born on the Game Boy.
Yeah no **** sherlock, we are aware, don't t
talk down please.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman

“Obviously this is a big silly idea and should not be taken seriously as a theory in the least.”
You might have missed that part of the post.

Also why assign rules to reveal trailers? Who cares? Pac Man’s reveal trailer had Nintendo and Capcom characters. Ken’s reveal trailer didn’t focus exclusively on Capcom characters. Steve’s trailer didn’t have Banjo in it for the Microsoft connection in the CG part.

Heck, in the two trailers you’re referring to there was also Dedede and Duck Hunt, two characters with no relation to Rare whatsoever!

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Nah, only the second is really about Rare, the first is just DKC. K. Rool isn't owned by Rare. The actual thing that ties both together is that both newcomers haven't made a fresh appearance in years, which is what the pranks are aiming to shock with.

None of that applies to Shantae, of course. If there's a trailer she can repeat, it would be Simon's.

Dukefire

Smash Master
What I can picture, the trailer's art style could either be anime or the original sprite version and eventually show her 3D appearance. It can play at as the camera go toward a town with them seeing new faces of selected fighters walking. It is cut short with another attack as (either Risky Boots, Shadow Fighters, or both) appear with the fighters fending off.

The camera pans towards a lighthouse with a partial look of a character heading to the town with a purpose. Literally the town is in flames and the fighters are on the ropes. Before the Shadow Fighters could finish, a strange bullet comes flying and send them away. Risky looks annoyed as she fires at the creature with it jumping around. Eventually, it drops down and reveals shantae. (Insert fighter's name and quote)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

That would be cool. But honestly, if they were to do the K. Rool gag a 3rd time I believe the trailer should be for Dixie Kong.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So someone brought up why no one in the Newcomer Speculation thread brings up Shantae as much as other popular characters on this site and other people responded with stuff like "Her series isn't as popular as Shovel Knight, Undertale, and Cuphead and didn't sell as well." I responded to those people with "Well, Shantae has seniority over those characters as well as 5 games while they only have one. Plus she has amazing moveset potential. Also, sells isn't everything." And they got all over me saying "She's not going to be chosen just because of her moveset potential. Plus Shovel Knight, Undertale, and Cuphead all sold better than the entire Shantae series combined." I just stopped debating them and left the conversation. You can never win a debate in the Newcomer Speculation thread

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
So someone brought up why no one in the Newcomer Speculation thread brings up Shantae as much as other popular characters on this site and other people responded with stuff like "Her series isn't as popular as Shovel Knight, Undertale, and Cuphead and didn't sell as well." I responded to those people with "Well, Shantae has seniority over those characters as well as 5 games while they only have one. Plus she has amazing moveset potential. Also, sells isn't everything." And they got all over me saying "She's not going to be chosen just because of her moveset potential. Plus Shovel Knight, Undertale, and Cuphead all sold better than the entire Shantae series combined." I just stopped debating them and left the conversation. You can never win a debate in the Newcomer Speculation thread
If sales was everything then the DLC roster would’ve had Fortnite and Tetris in it. Plus, 3 million copies sold prior to the release of Seven Sirens and the LRG releases is “not selling well”?

Just don’t bother with the Newcomer Speculation Thread, if you aren’t the speculation crowd’s “lock of the week” you’ll never make a dent in them.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I saw that entire discussion. It's kind of stupid. Its pretty upsetting when people kick down your favorite character like that, especially when their arguments are rather weak. It has become the main reason I've taken a backseat from Smash discussion. I've almost become afraid to bring up Shantae outside of this topic. People have just gotten so damn eager to stomp on your character(s) and Shantae is taking flack for the dumbest gate-keeping 'rules'.
And with no real solid information to mull over, it's going to be a painful wait these next months.

When talking about seniority over other indies though, I take that more in the sense of hers being an established franchise and not just sales. They've proven themselves in the long term, none of the other indies in question have done that yet (with the exception of Touhou). All these other indies have yet to prove they have the staying power and aren't the one-time-successes that they currently are. I think it's also of great value to Nintendo and Smash to know who they're dealing with, so being on the map for a while builds up a reputation they can work with.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Not to mention that Shovel Knight is an Assist Trophy while Cuphead and Sans are Mii Costumes. Therefore, they are unable to get in the game as Fighters.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, Shovel Knight could be the next Mii costume as Bomberman proves it.

Still for Shantae in the discussion scene, there are more and more people wanting her to join. Of course, there are these obstacles that people use as ammo to shoot down shantae's chances. (And the counter argument)

1. She isn't too popular unlike Hollow Knight and Shovel Knight. (Sure, but she is steadily getting more steam moving Foward in her career.)
2. Steve is the ONLY indie character we are getting. (If you count that, then perhaps The Knight, and Indie characters not represented yet are out as well.)
3. Smash is for Good Boys and Girls. (For Shantae, that was how she appeared and her games is still in the E10 rating. Only times it was for teens in 4 and 5 was because of a GIANT lady for one as a boss battle.)

Honestly, I shouldn't add more fuel to the fire, but just to get it off my chest.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman

Still for Shantae in the discussion scene, there are more and more people wanting her to join. Of course, there are these obstacles that people use as ammo to shoot down shantae's chances. (And the counter argument)

1. She isn't too popular unlike Hollow Knight and Shovel Knight. (Sure, but she is steadily getting more steam moving Foward in her career.)
2. Steve is the ONLY indie character we are getting. (If you count that, then perhaps The Knight, and Indie characters not represented yet are out as well.)
3. Smash is for Good Boys and Girls. (For Shantae, that was how she appeared and her games is still in the E10 rating. Only times it was for teens in 4 and 5 was because of a GIANT lady for one as a boss battle.)

Honestly, I shouldn't add more fuel to the fire, but just to get it off my chest.
Yes, I agree with your points. I also agree with Shovel Knight being a Mii. I always believed he would work as a Mii Swordfighter.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

3. Shantae's spirit shows it doesn't matter.
2. No reasoning works, so it's just people who're bitter.
1. She's more popular now, and she had strong support enough to get a spirit, so it doesn't matter.

So there you go ;p

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I think either because he was tired of bring it up alone and/or try to avoid people breathing down his neck should up the topic.

Remember how far people will go fans or not to dig on who is the next challenger.
104.png

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
I think either because he was tired of bring it up alone and/or try to avoid people breathing down his neck should up the topic.

Remember how far people will go fans or not to dig on who is the next challenger.
That doesn't make any sense. Why would Matt, a vocal and hardcore supporter for Shantae in Smash, suddenly go silent? It makes me believe he is under an NDA.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Yeah I saw that entire discussion. It's kind of stupid. Its pretty upsetting when people kick down your favorite character like that, especially when their arguments are rather weak. It has become the main reason I've taken a backseat from Smash discussion. I've almost become afraid to bring up Shantae outside of this topic. People have just gotten so damn eager to stomp on your character(s) and Shantae is taking flack for the dumbest gate-keeping 'rules'.
And with no real solid information to mull over, it's going to be a painful wait these next months.

When talking about seniority over other indies though, I take that more in the sense of hers being an established franchise and not just sales. They've proven themselves in the long term, none of the other indies in question have done that yet (with the exception of Touhou). All these other indies have yet to prove they have the staying power and aren't the one-time-successes that they currently are. I think it's also of great value to Nintendo and Smash to know who they're dealing with, so being on the map for a while builds up a reputation they can work with.
Yeah, the "Newcomer Speculation" thread isn't much of a speculation thread, but more of a "flaunting thread".
Filled with people desperate for their wants, that they think all the gatekeeping, beating down others, promoting your own want and flaunting your ego actually has an influence on who makes it in.
A thread full of psycho's, really.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
That doesn't make any sense. Why would Matt, a vocal and hardcore supporter for Shantae in Smash, suddenly go silent? It makes me believe he is under an NDA.
If Matt talked about Shantae in Smash too much he would come off as Desperate.

If hes too quiet we all assume NDA's or whatever.

He has to ride a line between maintain a good relationship with Nintendo (seeing as he's a figurehead for Wayforward) and keeping his fans from overreacting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
They were vocal before including with fans. and then not ever since ultimate. So doesn't matter how you chalk it up, it's still odd.
Doesn't have to mean to jump on the wagon that shantae's in smash, but no reason to deny that it's interesting.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Surprise, surprise. Entitled fans having an "if mine can't be playable, yours can't either" attitude. They need a puppy for Christmas.

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
So that June interview really could go either way regarding Shantae's chances for FP2 at this point knowing how people like Suda51 and Kirkhope acted prior to the Smash reveals regarding their associated characters? (I'm still thinking she probably won't, but we'll see)

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
So that June interview really could go either way regarding Shantae's chances for FP2 at this point knowing how people like Suda51 and Kirkhope acted prior to the Smash reveals regarding their associated characters? (I'm still thinking she probably won't, but we'll see)
Essentially it’s just reminding people that NDAs don’t mean you can’t say ANYTHING about a topic, it just means you can’t give a definitive yes (break NDA) or lie and give and definitive no (just bad business practice). So effectively, the interview doesn’t change anything.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
The "WayForward is silent, just because they enjoy the clout and attention they get from people" is such a stupid argument, to say Shantae isn't in Smash,
Like don't you guys know what kind of guys WayForward are?

If it were the big monsters, like EA, Activision or Ubisoft, I wouldn't doubt it.
For guys like WayForward, this would completely go against their MO.
They're not corrupt businessmen like the big ones.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
The "WayForward is silent, just because they enjoy the clout and attention they get from people" is such a stupid argument, to say Shantae isn't in Smash,
Like don't you guys know what kind of guys WayForward are?

If it were the big monsters, like EA, Activision or Ubisoft, I wouldn't doubt it.
For guys like WayForward, this would completely go against their MO.
They're not corrupt businessmen like the big ones.
I agree. It's why I think their silence means something for the case of Shantae being in Smash.

And yeah, indie games, especially of the FPS genre, tend to be better than AAA games.

Top Bottom