• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I think she should focus fully on her genie magic. Pirate gear is cool, but I think it detracts from Shantae's uniqueness because she's borrowing material from Risky Boots. There is plenty they can pull from without going through the pirate gear.
If it had to be one or the other, then I would agree with you on focusing on her genie powers. However there are so many places to put moves what with tilts and aerials and what not that I don't see a reason not to include everything. The Pirate gear is basically a fifth on her history. Maybe make the pistol on of her aerials like Villager's sling shot. Have her down air be the scimitar and let her bounce around like Greninja.

The majority of her moves should be her magic/transformations, but lots of characters have moves far more obscure that her pirate gear hidden in their moveset. Sakurai likes to look at a character's full history when designing how they will play, so I doubt he would make her without any references to one fifth of her games.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Like I said before, if there's one benefit to Shantae not being CP7, it allows for content from Seven Sirens to be included. One such example would be her Fusion Transformations, both the animals and the magic fusions. Another example is including characters from the game, especially Harmony, Zapple, Vera and Plink, into Smash proper instead of just as Spirits, although they can still be added as Spirits. I think the other Half-Genies can appear in Shantae's Final Smash.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
I know we’ve been seeing a lot of things but tbh guys, I still feel like I always feel. Scared about Shantae getting in or not because remember, Smash Ultimate is the final Smash game. After 4 more slots, it’s the end and I’m scared if Shantae makes it or not. If she didn’t, I’ll honestly be heartbroken and probably hate Nintendo for that. I’m sorry I sound negative but I’m just scared because of other possible characters like Ryu from Ninja Gaiden, Lloyd from Tales Of, Crash from Crash Bandicoot, Dante from Devil May Cry, maybe Lara from Tomb Raider and Resident Evil reps.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Looks like Steve was ported outright.

remember, Smash Ultimate is the final Smash game.
No, it's not. No one has ever said that, not even Sakurai. :picardpalm:
As long as sales are good and regardless of what changes are in the next installments, no fighting game ever truly ends even after their story arc is done. :ult_terry:

We may get the proverbial King of Fighters 99/00/01 after Ultimate's King of Fighters 98, but Smash will come back after a certain amount of years, most likely when Nintendo gets another new console. Doesn't matter how small the roster is next time, the newcomers and new features in a next game are what should be looked forward to.

Last edited:

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman

Looks like Steve was ported outright.

No, it's not. No one has ever said that, not even Sakurai. :picardpalm:
As long as sales are good and regardless of what changes are in the next installments, no fighting game ever truly ends even after their story arc is done. :ult_terry:

We may get the proverbial King of Fighters 99/00/01 after Ultimate's King of Fighters 98, but Smash will come back after a certain amount of years, most likely when Nintendo gets another new console. Doesn't matter how small the roster is next time, the newcomers and new features in a next game are what should be looked forward to.
Oh well I mean Smash team will come to an end after Smash Ultimate FP2 so idk if that makes Smash Ultimate a last game. The point is I just don’t want to wait for next few years just for Shantae tbh. I know we have to be extra patient but from my perspective, I considered waiting somewhere in 2020 or 2021 is far enough.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
For now in the speculation, people are focusing more on the characters that are getting some momentum back either due to leaks, Steve/Alex's reveal impact, and/or recent games.

So, we got 4 more spots for news before calling The End
Screenshot_20201011-173311_YouTube.jpg

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I know we’ve been seeing a lot of things but tbh guys, I still feel like I always feel. Scared about Shantae getting in or not because remember, Smash Ultimate is the final Smash game. After 4 more slots, it’s the end and I’m scared if Shantae makes it or not. If she didn’t, I’ll honestly be heartbroken and probably hate Nintendo for that. I’m sorry I sound negative but I’m just scared because of other possible characters like Ryu from Ninja Gaiden, Lloyd from Tales Of, Crash from Crash Bandicoot, Dante from Devil May Cry, maybe Lara from Tomb Raider and Resident Evil reps.
No, Smash Ultimate isn't the final Smash game as Smash is too big of a cash cow for Nintendo to drop. I'm pretty sure future Smashes won't be able to top Ultimate unless we ever get "Everyone Is Here!" Again which seems unlikely. But Smash will continue to live on after Ultimate that's for sure.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure future Smashes won't be able to top Ultimate unless we ever get "Everyone Is Here!" Again which seems unlikely. But Smash will continue to live on after Ultimate that's for sure.
See, I have trouble believing that too. At least as long as Sakurai is at the helm.

The only thing I can see getting in the way of characters returning, are third-party agreements.
If a third-party owner doesn't give Sakurai/Nintendo permission to use their character again, then yes, that character won't come back.
And i can see Cloud being that character.

Otherwise, I really don't see how characters couldn't return.
It would create such an arbitrary shortage of characters and people would inevitably cry for the return of their favourites.
I can't see Sakurai of all people just dropping characters for no reason.

Unless the next Smash game is going to be built from the ground up again (which I think is unwise), there is really nothing other than permission, to hold characters back.

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
See, I have trouble believing that too. At least as long as Sakurai is at the helm.

The only thing I can see getting in the way of characters returning, are third-party agreements.
If a third-party owner doesn't give Sakurai/Nintendo permission to use their character again, then yes, that character won't come back.
And i can see Cloud being that character.

Otherwise, I really don't see how characters couldn't return.
It would create such an arbitrary shortage of characters and people would inevitably cry for the return of their favourites.
I can't see Sakurai of all people just dropping characters for no reason.

Unless the next Smash game is going to be built from the ground up again (which I think is unwise), there is really nothing other than permission, to hold characters back.
The biggest issue besides rights is development costs and time. Changing to a new system every Smash game while keeping most functions intact makes it so that, while you don’t have to start every character from the ground up, you still have to remake models, adjust animations and hitboxes, etc. And the more characters you have, the more work it is. Not to mention balancing and bug testing against more characters obviously takes more time.

With how successful Smash Ultimate has been, and Sakurai’s preference towards Smash as a fun casual game and celebration of video games first and foremost, I kind of hope that if he does leave the series to someone else, that they choose to iterate Smash going forward, using Ultimate as a base rather than starting from scratch. Smash hasn’t changed THAT much in the grand scheme of things over the years, and the sales show that this is not an issue to fans.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Super Smash Bros has already made a name and a record for itself that Sakurai made with his Project for 20 years.

Of course, it would not be the same once Sakurai steps down. Still, this series alone has gotten many people hyped to fight dream matches and buy the game.

Artist: Smashtoons on Twitter (outdated since Steve/Alex isn't there)
Ebt3LxHVcAAys0O.jpeg

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
The biggest issue besides rights is development costs and time. Changing to a new system every Smash game while keeping most functions intact makes it so that, while you don’t have to start every character from the ground up, you still have to remake models, adjust animations and hitboxes, etc. And the more characters you have, the more work it is. Not to mention balancing and bug testing against more characters obviously takes more time.

With how successful Smash Ultimate has been, and Sakurai’s preference towards Smash as a fun casual game and celebration of video games first and foremost, I kind of hope that if he does leave the series to someone else, that they choose to iterate Smash going forward, using Ultimate as a base rather than starting from scratch. Smash hasn’t changed THAT much in the grand scheme of things over the years, and the sales show that this is not an issue to fans.
And yet Pokemon has no issues re-using the exact same models and animations for three consecutive generations.
Besides, given the success of Smash Bros, I honestly can't see money being an issue.
And even then, Sakurai would still work himself to the bone, even if he has no budget.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
No, Smash Ultimate isn't the final Smash game as Smash is too big of a cash cow for Nintendo to drop. I'm pretty sure future Smashes won't be able to top Ultimate unless we ever get "Everyone Is Here!" Again which seems unlikely. But Smash will continue to live on after Ultimate that's for sure.
Yeah, and besides I can't exactly see a big outcry for :ultyounglink: and :ultpichu:'s return. For what it's worth, all characters won't need to be taken back from various entries anymore, since this one has plenty of resources to work with.

Until then, you should see the swag LRG has ready for Mummy Demastered.

It's fully deserving of it, for a game that wound up being far more lucrative than the movie it was tied to.

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
And yet Pokemon has no issues re-using the exact same models and animations for three consecutive generations.
Besides, given the success of Smash Bros, I honestly can't see money being an issue.
And even then, Sakurai would still work himself to the bone, even if he has no budget.
That’s what I’m saying, it’s not IMPOSSIBLE, but Smash has never done that before. They’ve carried over a lot of the groundwork between games, but unlike Pokemon, no character is ever ported 1 for 1 between games; there’s always a change or two, be it visually or balance-wise. And the more characters it has, the more work it is.
Money isn’t the biggest issue, it’s development cost PLUS development time.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I'll give The Mummy Demastered a go when I'm ready. Anything I should know about it?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I'll give The Mummy Demastered a go when I'm ready. Anything I should know about it?
It's hardest in the beginning. If you go about hunting for all the upgrades and everything the game becomes a cakewalk by the end. But it's a fun, well earned cake walk, it feels very rewarding to be so over powered.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
That’s what I’m saying, it’s not IMPOSSIBLE, but Smash has never done that before. They’ve carried over a lot of the groundwork between games, but unlike Pokemon, no character is ever ported 1 for 1 between games; there’s always a change or two, be it visually or balance-wise. And the more characters it has, the more work it is.
Money isn’t the biggest issue, it’s development cost PLUS development time.
I don't think those are big concerns either, with Sakurai at the helm.
With how much of a workaholic he is, I don't think he'd be proud with himself dropping too many characters from the roster.

I know he repeatedly says not to expect much from the future.
Probably because it rather sets the expectations too low, than too high.
But he was able to repeatedly outperform the expectations he set in the distant past.

So yeah, I don't think Ultimate is the "Be all End all" of Smash and certainly not the final Smash game.
Nor do I think something like "Everyone is here" will absolutely never happen again.
Like are you honestly telling me that it's only possible now, but never ever again until the Earth dies?

Dukefire

Smash Master
It's hardest in the beginning. If you go about hunting for all the upgrades and everything the game becomes a cakewalk by the end. But it's a fun, well earned cake walk, it feels very rewarding to be so over powered.
Pretty much like Metroid Fusion's concept I can guess. Thanks for the heads up.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I agree. While people are obviously allowed to have fun when making up movesets, the designer side of my brain always questions some of the choices I see more commonly. Is a fireball really Shantae’s most recognizable move that 90% of the movesets I see stick it as her neutral special? Is Risky’s Cannon more indicative of Shantae’s abilities than the Harpy dance for a recovery move?

I do think it’s POSSIBLE to reference the pirate gear in the moveset, but a lot of what I see people make up lacks cohesiveness. One I saw a while ago stuck a pirate gear move in the special moves, 2 aerials, the dash attack, and a tilt. Then shoved the transformation dances into the smash attacks and one special, and the assorted techniques/spells filled out the rest. It’s a jumble of moves in every category that leaves the whole affair feeling disorganized.

I’d stick the transformation dances as specials (either as aesthetic components to a special attack or actual transformed states; she’s got 4 in the original game, 4 specials, easy), put her iconic spells and equipment on smash attacks (Fireball FSmash like MegaBuster, Pike ball USmash in an arc like Ness’s Yo-yo, DSmash Storm puff blasting lighting down on either side of her), and then keep it simple by using her physical techniques as her standard attacks and aerials (hair whips are a given, go back to the moves from Shantae GBA for flip kicks, the Sash kick, elbow charge...)

Boom. Doesn’t have to be overcomplicated by pirate gear or attack categories that sample from too many styles.
I think you can fit the transformations in an exclusive sub-menu like Hero has for his spells and Steve for his blocks. Have Shantae dance to fill a magic meter and when filled, choose the form that will go with a certain attack. For example, her regular forward dash attack could be the scimitar but with a charged dance meter she'll turn into a charging elephant for extra damage. Stuff like that.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Feels like every single generation of smash bro’s we get people trying to say that this is the final game of the series. With using they just don’t see how the series can advance any further as their reason.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Feels like every single generation of smash bro’s we get people trying to say that this is the final game of the series. With using they just don’t see how the series can advance any further as their reason.
True. But like I mentioned before, Smash is too big of a cash cow for Nintendo to just let it die off.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Exactly.

it also doesn't help that Sakurai himself keeps saying that.
But like I said, he is the kind of man, who doesn't want to make false promises.
A man who takes the uncertainty of the future into account.
I mean the man could drop dead at any second, which would mark the death of Smash Bros as we know it.

But just because you can't see the series advancing any further, doesn't mean it can't or won't.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Crackpot theory time.

WayForward says they don't have any plans for next gen consoles at the moment. Well, what if they are being purchased by Nintendo? If they reveal that at a hypothetical Shantae for Smash event, it would be a big shocker for sure. Not to mention that all of the games are on Switch now instead of porting them to all platforms. The first game still remains Nintendo exclusive. What if WayForward has been purchased by Nintendo but they are not disclosing the details to the public until a certain point in time. I know the perfect place for this. Shantae being revealed for Smash.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Crackpot theory time.

WayForward says they don't have any plans for next gen consoles at the moment. Well, what if they are being purchased by Nintendo? If they reveal that at a hypothetical Shantae for Smash event, it would be a big shocker for sure. Not to mention that all of the games are on Switch now instead of porting them to all platforms. The first game still remains Nintendo exclusive. What if WayForward has been purchased by Nintendo but they are not disclosing the details to the public until a certain point in time. I know the perfect place for this. Shantae being revealed for Smash.
I wish. :awesome:

But this is HIGHLY unlikely and is a pipedream scenario levels beyond Shantae even being a Smash fighter.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Crackpot theory time.

Would that be a good thing though? I mean I guess they are getting bigger anyway, but It'd be a shame if they changed because of being part of a big corporation.

Dukefire

Smash Master
WayForward has done great games, but I think it's up to them to decide for the deal.

Also, random image as Halloween is creeping closer each day.
Screenshot_20201011-232201_YouTube.jpg

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Would that be a good thing though? I mean I guess they are getting bigger anyway, but It'd be a shame if they changed because of being part of a big corporation.
I agree.

Every smaller company that has been bought up by big corporation, pretty much always loses its heart and soul.
Even if it's Nintendo, I wish for WayForward to stay independant, rather than having to answer to the constant demands of cruel cutthroats.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Teeb147 Teeb147 Paragon-Yoshi Paragon-Yoshi I say that WayForward should remain independent while still maintaining close ties with Nintendo, similar to companies like Capcom and Bandai Namco.
Also, not every buyout is detrimental. Take Atlus, which still worked out fine after Sega acquired them, as if nothing happened.

The only controversial thing that happened to Mojang after being acquired was the original Minecraft creator being credited out for...reasons.

In any case, this is really just wacky hypotheticals. We should focus on the present, which is Mummy Demastered getting the gold treatment, as it deserves.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Now, you can now buy Risky's Revenge on the Nintendo eshop. (In case you forgot.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom