• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Ok. That’s only one person said which it says it’s name, “Joe”
Yeah, being under NDA doesn’t mean you have to immediately “no comment” it. Essentially you just can’t spill the beans or outright lie (the first for obvious reasons, the latter is also usually included in nondisclosure contracts as it would reflect poorly on your company and make consumers second guess your every statement as to whether or not you’re telling the truth). Its the same story when Grant Kirkhope was asked about Banjo in Smash; he said “Don’t get your hopes up”, neither an outright refusal nor a confirmation. And similar to how ID software said Nintendo had not approached them about Doomslayer in Smash being pretty damning evidence against him; that’s not a standard NDA response, that’s pretty straightforward.

So in short, Joe’s response a completely standard response with a little cheeky fun thrown in. Could be something, could be nothing.

Last edited:

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
I really doubt someone at Limited Run Games would know anything about Smash Bros. development.
Yeah because it’s not LRG’s thing. It’s WayForward for being silence and teased us a lot because they were using LRG to help with their old classic Shantae exclusive so that makes sense they didn’t know

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
I have found another reason why a Shantae Mii Costume wouldn't work. She is too suggestive to be a Mii. They aren't going to add cleavage to a Mii Costume, let alone a midriff. While Shantae is just fine as a Fighter, she really is too sexy to be a Mii.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I have found another reason why a Shantae Mii Costume wouldn't work. She is too suggestive to be a Mii. They aren't going to add cleavage to a Mii Costume, let alone a midriff. While Shantae is just fine as a Fighter, she really is too sexy to be a Mii.
A Mii with Sans head and Shantae's body gives me nightmares. I don't like to picture it in my head.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Imo, it only works for characters that can pull off a static face. Shantae is not known for a single standalone facial expression.
Don't get overconfident guys.
You say "She doesn't work as MII Costume" as if it's an absolute certainty.

But it's not. It's still something that could very well happen.
So don't celebrate too soon, or you'll start raging/breaking down if she does become a MII Costume after all.

As for the "static faces" point.
I think Cuphead has disproven that already.
After all, he is very expressive in his own game and his face is far from static there.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Don't get overconfident guys.
You say "She doesn't work as MII Costume" as if it's an absolute certainty.

But it's not. It's still something that could very well happen.
So don't celebrate too soon, or you'll start raging/breaking down if she does become a MII Costume after all.

As for the "static faces" point.
I think Cuphead has disproven that already.
After all, he is very expressive in his own game and his face is far from static there.
I'm not celebrating. I'm just saying she likely won't be deluxe. Regular Miis or Mii hat might be the way they would lean.

While a bit of a bummer that would be, a Spirit Event is something I'm more worried about.

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Shantae has survived 7 rounds without being turned into a Mii Costume, as well as getting a Spirit Event that adds new Spirits. If they wanted to deconfirm her, they would have done it already. And yet, they have still held onto her after 2 years.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Shantae has survived 7 rounds without being turned into a Mii Costume, as well as getting a Spirit Event that adds new Spirits. If they wanted to deconfirm her, they would have done it already. And yet, they have still held onto her after 2 years.

Rayman, Geno, Heihachi, Lloyd, Paper Mario, etc. etc. This is or wasn't that unique to Shantae as some of us would like to think. That's not even going into characters requested that so far have gotten nothing, like Crash, Sora, Dante, etc.

Waiting until the bitter end to disconfirm things is not a taboo unfortunately. Remember the final direct just before for the base game itself was released?

They don't realize how cruel they are sometimes. Actually, worse yet, they're more than aware of the characters we want. They just see it as a bad business practices to dash the hopes of their consumers so quickly.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Oh yeah and the HUGE salt with Bayonetta as the "supposely" winner of the ballot.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Not everyone can end up in Smash. I have a feeling that Shantae is gonna be CP8, given the fact that things are looking up after Steve's inclusion. WayForward and Matt being silent is definitely a boost for us.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just be careful of how HIGH you aim, it might end up being a sour result.
Screenshot_20201006-164002_YouTube.jpg

I can also imagine the complaints Shantae get should she enters as the next challenger.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
No worries. All the complaints would mean absolutely nothing. The important thing would be that Shantae finally earned her rightful place in this large roster of characters, and she would pave the way for future indie Fighters in the next Smash game, if there is gonna be one anyway.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I can also imagine the complaints Shantae get should she enters as the next challenger.
It’s the internet. People will complain no matter who gets in. They could announce the 50 most wanted characters, and the most liked response on twitter would still be “but what about #51?!?!”
Better to aim and hope high but not be rude if it doesn’t happen than be eternally salty.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Who cares about the complaints if the character you want gets in? At that point you just humbly ignore them.

View attachment 288689
I completely agree with you. It's why I said all their complaints would be completely meaningless, because the character you wanted finally got in. No more gatekeeping, no more deceitful slander, no more BS. Your character just got in Smash.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Idea for a trailer reveal: an 8-bit pixelated ocean with Risky's ship onscreen, swapping suddenly to cinematic 3D. Cannons firing toward a wooden dock with Link, Samus, Simon & Daisy on it preparing themselves. Shantae as a mermaid comes shooting out from the water and dispatches the cannon balls quickly with her hair whip, deflecting them back at the pirate ship sinking it. Her Ret-2-Go title card then displays and gives Daisy a high five. And after her gameplay is shown off, she's seen trying to teach the characters mentioned how to dance.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I like the included characters and love the closing bit of her teaching then to dance, but the opening doesn't line up with how these character reveals go. Most of them like to have some mystery at the beginning. Opening with other characters in a neutral area until something related to the revealed character occurs.

I would suggest the screen open instead on the wind waker ocean stage with said characters on Tetra's ship. Then out of nowhere they can get attacked and in the distance, those familiar with Shantae will be able to recognize Risky's ship. Then Shantae busts in to save the day.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Wow so I’ve been reading them messages about Shantae being a Mii costume or not and thinking the ides of her potential trailer. My thoughts for Shantae as Mii costumes are she’s not likely to be one because of these reasons; you’ll miss out her magic, animal transformation and hair whips. Mii costumes are considered to be for characters that can be complicated to make them as fighters or not relevant enough or they are limits. Also I wouldn’t shared the ideas for Shantae trailer because I’m not confident about Shantae being in Smash as DLC because I heard that the producer of Atelier Ryza says that Smash team says yes about bringing Ryza to come to Smash Ultimate but doesn’t think it’s included to Nintendo’s plans

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Really, with official Smash information on speculation, patterns and interviews. It is really hard to call
Screenshot_20201006-121727_YouTube.jpg

due to air tight security with Smash nowadays thanks to previous encounters with leaks. So, all we can do is just playing the waiting game and mine away with current tools available.

Last edited:

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
Shantae doesn't work as a DELUXE Mii costume.

She works perfectly fine as a regular Mii costume. Her wig and her clothes. Done.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Shantae doesn't work as a DELUXE Mii costume.

She works perfectly fine as a regular Mii costume. Her wig and her clothes. Done.
Well actually it won’t. You’ll definitely miss out all her attacks. Magic, animal transformation, hair whips. Also it‘ll be really hard to translate her skin.

Last edited:

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
But you’ll definitely miss out all her attacks. Magic, animal transformation, hair whips. Also it‘ll be really hard to translate her skin.
1. Yeah, she's my most wanted, so I'd rather she be playable, but a Mii costume is still a possibility, and I would accept that as long as it looked good.

2. What? Just make a brown-skinned Mii. lol

Last edited:

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
1. Yeah, she's my most wanted, so I'd rather she be playable, but a Mii costume is still a possibility, and I would accept that as long as it looked good.

2. What? Just make a brown-skinned Mii. lol
Yeah but still her Mii costume still wouldn’t fit. It will be too weird and way too hard for Sakurai to do that also that would be cruel for Sakurai to do that after waiting for that long. Sakurai is not like that at all. He knows we want Shantae in as DLC. What’s special for Shantae being a Mii costume? Nothing much for being a brawler or swordfighter at all. Sans is a Mii Gunner because of his Gaster Blaster moves. Cuphead is a Mii Gunner because of him shooting from his finger tip.

Last edited:

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
Yeah but still her Mii costume still wouldn’t fit. It will be too weird and way too hard for Sakurai to do that also that would be cruel for Sakurai to do that after waiting for that long. Sakurai is not like that at all. He knows we want Shantae in as DLC. What’s special for Shantae being a Mii costume? Nothing much for being a brawler or swordfighter at all. Sans is a Mii Gunner because of his Gaster Blaster moves. Cuphead is a Mii Gunner because of him shooting from his finger tip.
Shantae would work fine as a Brawler.

(It would also be hilarious to see her suplex people.)

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Giga Man Giga Man In my opinion, a Shantae Mii Costume wouldn't work at all. First off, it wouldn't do her justice, since she does not fit in with any of the Mii archetypes, including the Brawler archetype. None of them represent who she actually is, and it wouldn't work. The only reason Lip from Panel de Pon was a Mii Swordfighter is because she had little to no moveset. Sans became a Mii because he had a limited moveset and his Gaster Blasters worked perfectly as a weapon for a Gunner. While Cuphead had a bigger moveset than Sans, he wasn't big in Japan, plus his finger guns made him an obvious choice for the Mii Gunner position. Next, Shantae is too sexy to be a Mii, although she is fine as a Fighter. They aren't going to add cleavage to a Mii, let alone a midriff. Finally, you should remember that Masahiro Sakurai has full control over who gets in as a Mii Costume or not. I honestly doubt he would just turn her into a Mii, given the mass amounts of potential Shantae has. In conclusion, I heavily disagree with the idea that Shantae can be a Mii. It's not gonna work, and either Shantae stays a Spirit or gets added as a Fighter. I personally believe in the latter outcome.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
I have to agree that a potential Shantae Mii costume would be very unflattering to the character. Yes they could force it, but it just seems unlikely to me that they'd be able to make such a Mii costume do Shantae justice like the costumes for the other characters do.
If Shantae wouldn't make it as a fighter I'd personally rather take a Shantae Spirit Event than a Mii costume for a constellation prize.
If only Spirit Events could come with music...

Then again it wouldn't surprise me if somehow the managed to make it work... I mean they've worked wonders before.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Yeah plus Shantae would bring back the character transformation to Smash that Zelda had to give up due to Smash 4 on 3DS' limitation. So yeah she would not work as a Mii Fighter costume(deluxe or otherwise).
Damn. You got a point!

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Anyone with more experience buying from Limited Run Games know if they'll hold back your order even if it's almost ready to ship? I really wanna buy OG Shantae and Risky's Revenge for Switch but I wouldn't want to delay my copy of Seven Sirens even further.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah plus Shantae would bring back the character transformation to Smash that Zelda had to give up due to Smash 4 on 3DS' limitation. So yeah she would not work as a Mii Fighter costume(deluxe or otherwise).
Why is this relevant now when we have Pokemon Trainer who is mechanically identical to transforming? Zelda & Sheik were only holding each other back by being one character.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Anyone with more experience buying from Limited Run Games know if they'll hold back your order even if it's almost ready to ship? I really wanna buy OG Shantae and Risky's Revenge for Switch but I wouldn't want to delay my copy of Seven Sirens even further.
the hell are you talking about? one order isnt going to be affected by another separate one.

Top Bottom