• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I remember seeing that game a few times on the PS3 long ago. Maybe it will be the time for me to try it out.
It's actually a gream beatem up. If you liked river city ransom and the like, they took a lot of inspiration from it, and also just.. lots of good gamer goodness :)

Dukefire

Smash Master
I'm kind of unsure when to get it since I'll do some research first before getting it. Also, if it does have a demo, bonus for me.

For my wallet towards the games and DLC coming up to end 2020,
It's a joke, but still with plenty of upcoming titles. It is hard to choose.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm kind of unsure when to get it since I'll do some research first before getting it. Also, if it does have a demo, bonus for me.

For my wallet towards the games and DLC coming up to end 2020,
It's a joke, but still with plenty of upcoming titles. It is hard to choose.
It was cheap last time, but since this is a 'complete' edition, maybe they'll charge more. I didn't see if they said the price.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah...suddenly, WF's strategy to avoid every indie fighting crossover doesn't sound so crazy.

It's such a shame that Juan and Guacamelee had to be attached to this.
I feel more sorry for Gully & Calibretto from Battle Chasers (they really don't deserve this after recovering from their comic bomb) and the Crusader from Darkest Dungeon (don't those heroes fighting Lovecraftian horrors go through enough?)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I feel more sorry for Gully & Calibretto from Battle Chasers (they really don't deserve this after recovering from their comic bomb) and the Crusader from Darkest Dungeon (don't those heroes fighting Lovecraftian horrors go through enough?)
I forgot to mention the Penitent One from Blasphemous, he has enough hell to deal with outside of this turd. Also, the Dead Cells guy, for obvious reasons.

As unwieldy as the Centurions in Brawl were, at least they actually tried to hit their target, unlike this game's worthless minion system making them all wander around like chickens.

This game somehow manages to make even Code Shifter look more appealing.

lol ps points for what? Not getting it on nintendo?
Still don't own a Switch.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I forgot to mention the Penitent One from Blasphemous, he has enough hell to deal with outside of this turd. Also, the Dead Cells guy, for obvious reasons.

As unwieldy as the Centurions in Brawl were, at least they actually tried to hit their target, unlike this game's worthless minion system making them all wander around like chickens.

This game somehow manages to make even Code Shifter look more appealing.

Still don't own a Switch.
To be fair, Dedede's old Waddle Dee Army wasn't that good with aiming either. But at least they were enthusiastic and you got a good dance from it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Speaking of which, LRG's Shantae game pre-orders should be going live today. :drflip:

Plus, there will be a series box and HGH reprints.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Speaking of which, LRG's Shantae game pre-orders should be going live today. :drflip:

Plus, there will be a series box and HGH reprints.

Jeez... I haven't followed all of Limited Run's stuff, but are there any franchises they have gone so whole hog on as Shantae?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
They really like Shantae I think :)
I mean, it must be very lucrative for them. It just makes me wonder if the Shantae series has lots of of passionate fans, or fewer super obsessed fans. Either way there must be a huge amount of support they see for her to do so much with her series compared to all the other game franchises they have worked with.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I mean, it must be very lucrative for them. It just makes me wonder if the Shantae series has lots of of passionate fans, or fewer super obsessed fans. Either way there must be a huge amount of support they see for her to do so much with her series compared to all the other game franchises they have worked with.
My thoughts are that it's probably not super profitable,.. If you consider the production costs and that it's not something super maintstream, and the high cost for some people. I mean you could be right maybe there's some dedicated fans, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
We have some dedicated fans here :)

For me it's just a bit too much right now, but I was pretty tempted to get 1 or 2.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I can't buy them right now but I'm hoping to at least build up enough funds for the reproduction cart before the pre-order period ends.

Staarih

Smash Master
So there's a crazy long list of top 1000 video game sales in Japan for 2019. I'm a sucker for numbers and regarding Shantae, Half-Genie Hero for Switch sold an additional 1428 copies in Japan last year. Now, that's not a big number (and it's placed at #788 on the list), but seeing as the game was released there in 2018, it's kinda fun to see that even that amount of copies were still sold last year. The total sales for the game in Japan until end of 2019 are 7756 copies. Still a small number but it kinda gives some insight as to how things are in Japan when it comes to Shantae (the games at least). I'm super interested in seeing how Seven Sirens will do when it releases there at the end of next month.

Last edited:

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
Can't preorder anything yet until my next payday. Thankfully for the open preorders, I still have plenty of time.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Back in late 2013, Shantae Half Genie Hero and Mighty no. 9, an obscure Mega Man-inspired game, were both funded. They were also both released in 2016.

shantae and beck.png

Both Beck and Shantae are indie reps, but I think just having Shantae would be fine. I would want Beck as a spirit or mii costume at most.

Last edited:

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Back in late 2013, Shantae Half Genie Hero and Mighty no. 9, an obscure Mega Man-inspired game, were both funded. They were also both released in 2016.

View attachment 285277

Both Beck and Shantae are indie reps, but I think just having Shantae would be fine. I would want Beck as a spirit or mii costume at most.
I wouldn’t call Mighty No. 9 obscure, per say, but it was certainly a horse that wasn’t properly cared for to necessitate the cart it was saddled with. Why yes, I did just elaborate on the “cart before horse” analogy.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was looking forward to Mighty no.9 but then it just didn't live up to the hype at all. Which is too bad cuz I liked the premise of it, and do like megaman games.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I wouldn’t call Mighty No. 9 obscure, per say, but it was certainly a horse that wasn’t properly cared for to necessitate the cart it was saddled with. Why yes, I did just elaborate on the “cart before horse” analogy.
It was a game made to try on carrying the legacy of megaman forward. Unfortunately, being over hyped and having a 3 year delay for the game ending up for disappointment according to some.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
So I bought a whole lot... I really should controll my spending.
I bought almost everything (I was this close to getting the mega-pack). Decided against getting the Gameboy version and the LPs.

Also grabbed Stranger's Wrath.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
GBC cart got today, next week is the 2 sets of trading cards and the slip cover

a random user

Smash Journeyman
between fans, and scalpers, the limited run shantae games end up for around 90-150 on ebay, and people buy them at that price. i was trying to get pirates curse, because i didn't know about limited run games at the time, but it sells for around 180, way to much to justify paying for 1 game

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I just pre-order my Collector's Edition copies of Shantae (Switch), Shantae (GBC), and Risky's Revenge as well as two standard editions of the original Shantae and Risky's Revenge to open and play.

etnoika

Smash Cadet
I'm only getting the Standard physical versions for both games. I already have a copy of HGH as well as 7S on the way so now all I need is to wait for a reprint of Pirate's Curse and I'll be all set for the whole series.

Speaking of which, still no word on those physical copies of Seven Sirens huh?

Top Bottom