• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Pikmin 3 is puzzling. They tell us about it now out of nowhere, but it won't be out until October. Does that mean there aren't going to be any big releases in August or September? I mean if something was coming out sooner, you'd think it would have gotten the reveal first.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
It's interesting to see outsider perspectives on Shantae's Smash chances, because you see those that pay attention and those that don't. In one video I recently watched someone said Shantae didn't have much of a chance because she's not as popular as other indies like Shovel Knight, Undertale, and Hollow Knight. In another they said Shantae had good chances because Wayforward and Nintendo have been working together for a while.

I think the outsider perspective is interesting especially because it reaffirms just how special of a push it would be for the Shantae IP should she get into Smash. Shantae honestly is popular, but the opinion on the series itself varies widely. Some say it's an enjoyable platformer with funny writing, and others say it's mediocre and stale. That mixed viewpoint can lead people to not want to try the series, especially considering it has five games. Introducing people to it via Smash will reaffirm that Nintendo not only has confidence in Wayforward, but the Shantae series as well. On top of that, Wayforward is trying to establish itself over in Japan. Japan usually doesn't receive western indie games that well, but there may be an exception if Nintendo vouches for it. Anyways, it'll be exciting to see what happens.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I've been hoping that WayForward would be getting their well deserved breakthrough for a while now.
But yeah, I have noticed that a lot of people have Shantae at least high up on their lists of wanted characters, or would be more than okay with her making it in. I can't see her getting a lot of backlash at all... Except for the inevitable few of the loud minority that every character gets ofcourse.
I think in general a lot of people would be pleasantly surprised, making it all the more worth it to watch those reaction videos.
Yeah I'm glad that she did get on some people's lists, and talked about by some smashers and youtubers here and there. It's still not a whole lot in the big scheme of things, but I'm glad quite a few know she's wanted as an indie character. It''d still be a bit 'who's that?' to a lot, but I'm sure lots will like her. And yeah, there's always people that are gonna say someone else deserved the spot, but that does happen a lot. She'd be a great indie pick in any case.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Told ya we're gonna reach it by tomorow :p

Right in time with the new battlefield and pikmin 3 :D
(that was a weird crappy joke. I just mean, there's nothing going on really right now.)

MattX20

Smash Hero
Told ya we're gonna reach it by tomorow :p

Right in time with the new battlefield and pikmin 3 :D
(that was a weird crappy joke. I just mean, there's nothing going on really right now.)
If we keep it up then yes

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
It's interesting to see outsider perspectives on Shantae's Smash chances, because you see those that pay attention and those that don't. In one video I recently watched someone said Shantae didn't have much of a chance because she's not as popular as other indies like Shovel Knight, Undertale, and Hollow Knight. In another they said Shantae had good chances because Wayforward and Nintendo have been working together for a while.

I think the outsider perspective is interesting especially because it reaffirms just how special of a push it would be for the Shantae IP should she get into Smash. Shantae honestly is popular, but the opinion on the series itself varies widely. Some say it's an enjoyable platformer with funny writing, and others say it's mediocre and stale. That mixed viewpoint can lead people to not want to try the series, especially considering it has five games. Introducing people to it via Smash will reaffirm that Nintendo not only has confidence in Wayforward, but the Shantae series as well. On top of that, Wayforward is trying to establish itself over in Japan. Japan usually doesn't receive western indie games that well, but there may be an exception if Nintendo vouches for it. Anyways, it'll be exciting to see what happens.
Huh, that's surprising.
Apart from haters, I have yet to hear someone, who speaks badly of Shantae. o_O
I thought pretty much everyone who gave it a chance loved the series.

So hearing that the reception was so mixed...
It's quite the surprise to me.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Huh, that's surprising.
Apart from haters, I have yet to hear someone, who speaks badly of Shantae. o_O
I thought pretty much everyone who gave it a chance loved the series.

So hearing that the reception was so mixed...
It's quite the surprise to me.
To be fair, smaller games are generally going to get less hatred because less people know about them. The only games that you'll see hate directed at are the big games, because people are actually aware of their existance.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's definitely not everyone who likes shantae. I don't think it's that bad, but then when you factor that smash fandom, and a less popular series than whatever character they're cheering for, then yes, it can be mixed XD

Dukefire

Smash Master
When a character has the potential chance of getting in due to solid proof aligning with possible reveal, they will try to deny the possibility until the truth is revealed.

Remember to not them crawl under your skin for attention and shutting down hype.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
To be fair, smaller games are generally going to get less hatred because less people know about them. The only games that you'll see hate directed at are the big games, because people are actually aware of their existance.
Well, true.
But still, the only hate I've seen Shantae getting, is from Smash Fans who don't want her in the game.
When it comes to her own games however, I thought their reception was very positive, not mixed.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

MattX20

Smash Hero

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
I was looking up Shantae on twitter and looking at what's recent just to see how much talk of her there is, and surprisingly there's quite a lot, including for smash. I'm pleasantly surprised to see her being discussed very often.
Yeah, I often see some Shantae fans rooting for her in Smash related tweets. It's great to know that support is still strong!
And WayForward still dodging anything relating to it I bet... XD

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, I often see some Shantae fans rooting for her in Smash related tweets. It's great to know that support is still strong!
Not just smash too, I saw a lot of just casual gaming chats about shantae, which is great, makes me feel like she's just a well known gaming figure at this point. I mean, she is going all over the switch, and just much less niche than when this thread started, it's really cool.

Has WF been doding things around smash? (after the spirit reveal, i guess)

MattX20

Smash Hero
Shantae really shot up during the Smash ballot since she had Pirates Curse released around that time

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Or sometime tomorrow. The thread isn't as quick moving as others
Lol. We're already more than half-way through this page. Pretty sure it's going to be today :D

It is a quiet day, but yeah we're pretty close. Shantae for smash! XD

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
How anyone can at this point, that Shantae is too obscure to be a viable Smash candidate, is beyond me.
She may have been back then, but by now, she has become a very popular figure.

Not as big as Mario, but still big enough to make an impact. : 3

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I don't think I've ever played Rival Schools. Even the name doesn't tell me much. I am curious about fighting games so I wouldnt mind trying it. Was it popular at some point?
To be fair, I think Batsu is the only character, people connect with Rival Schools.
Because he is the only Rival Schools character that most people know.
Due to his crossover-appearances in Tatsunoko vs Capcom and Project X Zone 2.

Last edited:

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Not just smash too, I saw a lot of just casual gaming chats about shantae, which is great, makes me feel like she's just a well known gaming figure at this point. I mean, she is going all over the switch, and just much less niche than when this thread started, it's really cool.

Has WF been doding things around smash? (after the spirit reveal, i guess)
Well Matt Bozon has mentioned Shantae in smash lately in recent interviews and I believe he said he hopes she'll be a fighter in the future and nothing else.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
To be fair, I think Batsu is the only character, people connect with Rival Schools.
Because he is the only Rival Schools character that most people know.
Due to his crossover-appearances in Tatsunoko vs Capcom and Project X Zone 2.
I haven't seen any of those characters lol. Akira (that was revealed) seems familiar, I feel like ive seen her somewhere. And she's cool. I'm still not motivated to get SFV tho XD I did like the series at some point in the past tho.

Shantae fighting game, WF. Can you make it? I'll give you money! :D

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well Matt Bozon has mentioned Shantae in smash lately in recent interviews and I believe he said he hopes she'll be a fighter in the future and nothing else.
Matt doesn't need to say anything or isn't legally allowed to say anything if Shantae is in as he would be under a NDA. Grant Kirihope the composer to the Banjo-Kazooie games lied on Twitter about not having anything to do with the Banjo-Kazooie IP lately as he was secretly composing the Spiral Mountain remix in Ultimate.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Matt doesn't need to say anything or isn't legally allowed to say anything if Shantae is in as he would be under a NDA. Grant Kirihope the composer to the Banjo-Kazooie games lied on Twitter about not having anything to do with the Banjo-Kazooie IP lately as he was secretly composing the Spiral Mountain remix in Ultimate.
Oh really, I didn't know that. Lying is not good, but at least it shows some choose to say whatever they want (so long as they dont reveal)

Ohh man, seeing shantae for smash with a splash screen would be so sweet and amazing :D
Heh, don't worry, no expectations, just imagining :)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Oh really, I didn't know that. Lying is not good, but at least it shows some choose to say whatever they want (so long as they dont reveal)

Ohh man, seeing shantae for smash with a splash screen would be so sweet and amazing :D
Heh, don't worry, no expectations, just imagining :)
It's not like Kirkhope wanted to lie as he was under a NDA. When you're under a NDA, you're allowed to be silent or lie about something as saying the truth otherwise would be breaking it which is technically illegal.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's not like Kirkhope wanted to lie as he was under a NDA. When you're under a NDA, you're allowed to be silent or lie about something as saying the truth otherwise would be breaking it which is technically illegal.
Yes but in my values lying isn't good, even if you're under an nda. There's ways to say things tho.. Saying something like 'I'd like to see the character in smash' is technically not lying, and you're not giving anything away.

In any case, there's not much to read into WF for shantae right now, as far as i know.
It's not like all the conspiracy theories we had before ultimate came out XD

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
I know, but I'm just saying that Matt Bozon has acknowledge the Shantae in Smash request recently in interviews and vaguely say that he would like to see Shantae as a fighter similar to Grant Kirihope's statement about Banjo.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
In any case, there's not much to read into WF for shantae right now, as far as i know.
It's not like all the conspiracy theories we had before ultimate came out XD
I remember the Pajama Mode Smash conspiracy theories we all had back in the day. Good times.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I remember the Pajama Mode Smash conspiracy theories we all had back in the day. Good times.
Well, it's still difficult to tell, whether or not those in-game lines really referenced Smash.
Or if it was just a coincidence.

And until WayForward open up about it, I think we will never know.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Lol, that was one of them, yeah. There was quite a bit beyond that too. And we wondered why WF got quiet all of a sudden. Turned out it was probably cuz of the spirit. It's a new season now tho :)

Top Bottom