• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
My guess is that Nintendo's going to be more heavily focused on Mario's 35th anniversary this year, hence why Pikmin 3 was shadowdropped
Hmm. still seems like a waste, but I guess mario is where it's at..

More time for smash too? :p
I dunno, I have less hope of there being a direct soon with that happening, but hopefully it doesn't change much.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hmm. still seems like a waste, but I guess mario is where it's at..

More time for smash too? :p
I dunno, I have less hope of there being a direct soon with that happening, but hopefully it doesn't change much.
Given how quickly updates have been showing up over the past few days, I don't think we've to wait too long

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Imagine if a Shantae Smash reveal got shadowdropped.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
I'd love to get that art book (even though I probably won't be able to...)!
Shantae has been a massive inspiration to me and I always love to see her artstyle evolve from game to game. Even throughout various styles, it's still Shantae. Her design is so solid, it can stand in practically any style, I really love that. It makes it so fun to draw her, or see fanart of her in all kinds of styles.
Very curious what this book is going to have in it!
If any of you guys is going to get it, be sure to post some pictures for us, alright? :p

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Considering how people often expect a buildup towards something that never happens...

Yeah, just give me shadow-drops any day. It's rare for anyone to be satisfied with the contents from a Direct at all, from what I've noticed.

The Shantae art book by Udon just went up for pre-order on Amazon :)

Finally! Today's getting full of good news, for some weird reason.

Now all that's left is that ARMS comic and their backlog should be done.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, looks like surprises are going to continue from the shadows with the pace on the ongoing pandemic is doing.

Also, here is a shantae artwork for today
Artist:HBmobius
seer_dance_by_hbmobius_de2m4gb-fullview.jpg

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Considering how people often expect a buildup towards something that never happens...

Yeah, just give me shadow-drops any day. It's rare for anyone to be satisfied with the contents from a Direct at all, from what I've noticed.

Finally! Today's getting full of good news, for some weird reason.

Now all that's left is that ARMS comic and their backlog should be done.
WTF I posted about the artbook and I didnt get all these REPLIES! lol

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I guess it goes to show how dependant we have become on trailers and hype.
Like who even remembers them, once the character is released and we can finally play as them?
it's ultimately style and no substance.

The only thing that matters is the character getting added and playing as them.
Why do we need all this hype and stuff anyways? oO

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I guess it goes to show how dependant we have become and trailers and hype.
Like who even remembers them, once the character is released and we can finally play as them?

uhh cause I like seeing other people flip their ****

its funy

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I guess it goes to show how dependant we have become on trailers and hype.

It does need the attention. When something gets little advertisement it doesn't get bought as much. Simple math :p

But I mean for us yeah, it's just for the fun of it.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
uhh cause I like seeing other people flip their ****

its funy
So useless...
For many, it's also a moment of having frustrations being released after years of ridicule or people saying their character won't happen
Petty revenge then?
Why would you let these people bother you anyways?

And wouldn't the character being released serve that need already?
It does need the attention.
Why?
Doesn't the release itself already cause enough attention?
If not, then make a simple Twitter post.

But I mean for us yeah, it's just for the fun of it.
Fun that will die out quickly, while the fun actually playing the character will last.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Why?

Fun that will die out quickly, while the fun actually playing the character will last.
Well, no. Bigger things, and events, cause more attention. Just like how Hero got a lot of attention thanks to the trailer at e3. An anticipated direct gets people wondering and has much more impact than just shadowdropping, which wouldnt have the same effect. People aren't robots, they work on emotions for the most part. And that's true for the hype of it. The hype gets shared around, and it gets even more attention.

It's short lived, but many things are, it still makes for a fun bit.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So useless...

Petty revenge then?

Why?

Stop nagging over eople wanting hype reactions.

MattX20

Smash Hero
So useless...

Petty revenge then?

Why?

No, it's not petty revenge, it's mostly just a relief for them. I'm not bothered about it myself, I'm talking about how others feel regarding certain character reveals

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Well, no. Bigger things, and events, cause more attention. Just like how Hero got a lot of attention thanks to the trailer at e3. An anticipated direct gets people wondering and has much more impact than just shadowdropping, which wouldnt have the same effect. People aren't robots, they work on emotions for the most part. And that's true for the hype of it. The hype gets shared around, and it gets even more attention.
If you ask me, people obsess over hype way too much.
It's not needed. There are other, less complicated ways to get the word around...
If you even need to say anything with a game as big as Smash Bros.
I'm sure the word would get around on its own, via the fans and players, if they see a new character in any fashion.

In any case, trailers and such are more of a tradition and because we're used to them, we tend to think they're essential, when they're not.
I mean there are plenty of games who didn't resort to hype and were transparent with their development.
And that went well for them. Which proves to me, that this tradition of ours isn't really necessary.

Remember the Bakugan aftermath?
There was that one guy on Twitter that said that video game announcements shouldn't be surprise parties.
And honestly, I can see what this guy was saying. (If only I could remember his name...)

Stop nagging over eople wanting hype reactions.
Do you take everything personal? Sheesh...

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Still, the month of August has been getting more updates and reveals so far in this first full week compared to the previous 2 months. I think we've got more to look forward to

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's not needed. There are other, less complicated ways to get the word around...
I'm sure the word would get around on its own, via the fans and players, if they see a new character in any fashion.

In any case, trailers and such are more of a tradition and because we're used to them, we tend to think they're essential, when they're not.
I mean there are plenty of games who didn't resort to hype and were transparent with their development.
And that went well for them. Which proves to me, that this tradition of ours isn't really necessary.

There was that one guy on Twitter that said that video game announcements shouldn't be surprise parties.
And honestly, I can see what this guy was saying. (If only I could remember his name...)

That's pretty skewed though, if you're looking at cases that did work without hype, when most of the time hype has a big impact on how people spread word. You can't just look at the cases you want, you have to look at the big picture, and you can't take out human emotion and how people react. There's not just smash fans, there's also other people besides that to consider, and people who don't look at twitter, and more. The only down side of directs and all that is the cost to produce them, including the trailers, but they know it has impact, which is why they keep doing them, not just because they're traditional.

Lookning at the bigger context, like for bakugan, people were starved for news, and it was disappointing right after paper mario, so of course people were a little upset with it. I found it disappointing on my side because I have better expectations of WF. The game looked super boring to me, maybe it's not to some others, but I heard the same sentiment. In other words, when you make surprises, try to make them good, or have more to show to make it interesting.

Anyway, I like the directs and the hype, like a lot of people around, so maybe you should consider that what you're talking about is your own perspective, which is ok, but .. ya know, it's better if you just say that's how you feel about it yourself ;p

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
That's pretty skewed though, if you're looking at cases that did work without hype, when most of the time hype has a big impact on how people spread word. You can't just look at the cases you want, you have to look at the big picture, and you can't take out human emotion and how people react. There's not just smash fans, there's also other people besides that to consider, and people who don't look at twitter, and more. The only down side of directs and all that is the cost to produce them, including the trailers, but they know it has impact, which is why they keep doing them, not just because they're traditional.

Lookning at the bigger context, like for bakugan, people were starved for news, and it was disappointing right after paper mario, so of course people were a little upset with it. I found it disappointing on my side because I have better expectations of WF. The game looked super boring to me, maybe it's not to some others, but I heard the same sentiment. In other words, when you make surprises, try to make them good, or have more to show to make it interesting.

Anyway, I like the directs and the hype, like a lot of people around, so maybe you should consider that what you're talking about is your own perspective, which is ok, but .. ya know, it's better if you just say that's how you feel about it yourself ;p
Couldn't have put it better myself

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Meanwhile, the Street Fighter V Summer Update unveiled most of the final season's characters with relatively little fanfare (except with Rose, since Kenny Omega decided to go full-on chair/barrel/ladder/plush theory).

To me it doesn't matter how the news are done, as long as the thing being revealed is exciting enough to catch interest.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Meanwhile, the Street Fighter V Summer Update unveiled most of the final season's characters with relatively little fanfare (except with Rose, since Kenny Omega decided to go full-on chair/barrel/ladder/plush theory).

To me it doesn't matter how the news are done, as long as the thing being revealed is exciting enough to catch interest.
Max lost it when the Rivals School character was revealed

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

Good point.

I'm not saying hype-based announcements don't work. They do.
I'm just saying they are not necessary.
I think a simple gameplay-demonstration could attract just as much attention as a full-blown animated trailer, that will never exist in the game itself.
Like I said, style over substance.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

You ome here and try and tell people not to carea bout directs the way you describe info getting spread is BORING

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Lol. Well excitement definitely depends on the person. I'm not interested in SFV, but I could picture a trailer stirring some interest, especially if it had an interesting character. Cuz I'm not going out of my way to look at SFV gameplay videos.

Anyway. If Shantae were in smash, I'd love for her to get fanfare :D A lot of people still don't know her, and it'd be interesting to see how far she reaches, and what people's reactions are.

(gotta go for now, hopefully I'm back in time for page 1000 :p)

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Lol. Well excitement definitely depends on the person. I'm not interested in SFV, but I could picture a trailer stirring some interest, especially if it had an interesting character. Cuz I'm not going out of my way to look at SFV gameplay videos.

Anyway. If Shantae were in smash, I'd love for her to get fanfare :D A lot of people still don't know here, and it'd be interesting to see how far she reaches, and what people's reactions are.

(gotta go for now, hopefully I'm back in time for page 1000 :p)
Yeah. One of the best things about Shantae being in Smash as a fighter would be to see her popularity explode.

MattX20

Smash Hero
At the very least, the likelihood of reaching page 1000 before Saturday has increased

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Anyway. If Shantae were in smash, I'd love for her to get fanfare :D A lot of people still don't know her, and it'd be interesting to see how far she reaches, and what people's reactions are.
I've been hoping that WayForward would be getting their well deserved breakthrough for a while now.
But yeah, I have noticed that a lot of people have Shantae at least high up on their lists of wanted characters, or would be more than okay with her making it in. I can't see her getting a lot of backlash at all... Except for the inevitable few of the loud minority that every character gets ofcourse.
I think in general a lot of people would be pleasantly surprised, making it all the more worth it to watch those reaction videos.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I've been hoping that WayForward would be getting their well deserved breakthrough for a while now.
But yeah, I have noticed that a lot of people have Shantae at least high up on their lists of wanted characters, or would be more than okay with her making it in. I can't see her getting a lot of backlash at all... Except for the inevitable few of the loud minority that every character gets ofcourse.
I think in general a lot of people would be pleasantly surprised, making it all the more worth it to watch those reaction videos.
They've had breakthroughs with Pirate's Curse and HGH

Top Bottom