• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I dunno, we have Cloud over Terra or a Black Mage, and Joker over Demi-Fiend, and to this day we still don't have Persona 5 on the Switch, despite the endless requests and Atlus continuing to encourage the fans. I don't think Nintendo compatibility is a major issue.

I don't see how the rights being easy to acquire would be an issue. Yeah, the Touhou IP is really lax, but SNK has crossovers up the wazoo and Sonic is pretty encouraging of fangames as well, even if it's not to the same extent as Touhou; Sonic Mania would be a thing without it.

As a recent Touhou fan, I can't help but wonder what the fandom was like back then. It sounds interesting, that's for sure.
I can at least say it was a lot more niche

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't see how the rights being easy to acquire would be an issue. Yeah, the Touhou IP is really lax, but SNK has crossovers up the wazoo and Sonic is pretty encouraging of fangames as well, even if it's not to the same extent as Touhou; Sonic Mania would be a thing without it.
I tried to explain it before. Most of the touhou games are fangames, and it's not really like sonic mania. The amount of laxness not just there but in general could make the series potentially a liability to a big company like nintendo who have to do things with certain legal standards. What if Nintendo wants to ask for certain clauses regarding representation in other games too? They wouldn't be able to do that either.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I tried to explain it before. Most of the touhou games are fangames, and it's not really like sonic mania. The amount of laxness not just there but in general could make the series potentially a liability to a big company like nintendo who have to do things with certain legal standards. What if Nintendo wants to ask for certain clauses regarding representation in other games too? They wouldn't be able to do that either.
I don't think they'd even need to represent the fangames. They'd probably be passed over, maybe mentioned in brief during the presentation As for the "representation in other games bit..." I don't think I understand. Could you please elaborate on that a little?

zferolie

Smash Hero
i don't think they have to represent fan games, but the fangames themselves are what gives touhou such a big chance to get into smash. Since fangames are doujin games, and touhou itself is technically a doujin game, which are all technically indie games, Touhou has the most amount of games tied to it then any other series. Plus it has a good at least 5 years ahead of Shantae in terms of existing.

If we are getting a indie rep, the top 2 are Shantae and Reimu, and it comes down to if nintendo and sakurai wanna focus more on east or west indie series... though in a perfect world we get both

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Is bullet hell something Smash fans really want in Smash, that's the real question. Then there is the fact the two indies known for shooting tons of projectiles and not much else fighting-wise got assigned to gunner costumes. Premium ones, but still.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Is bullet hell something Smash fans really want in Smash, that's the real question. Then there is the fact the two indies known for shooting tons of projectiles and not much else fighting-wise got assigned to gunner costumes. Premium ones, but still.
Reimu is known for more then just shooting. There are offical fighting games too to pull from as well.

MattX20

Smash Hero
To get back on topic with Shantae, how many music tracks at bare minimum would you expect to come with her?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't think they'd even need to represent the fangames. They'd probably be passed over, maybe mentioned in brief during the presentation As for the "representation in other games bit..." I don't think I understand. Could you please elaborate on that a little?
That's ok thinking too, but I also meant it in terms of how nintendo might sometimes have demands as part of a contract, like not having the character in another fighting game for a few years, in example. There was a time people talked about that. That's just an example of something more simple. They also have to scan all the touhou games to make sure that the representation that IS out there doesn't go too far for what nintendo is looking for in a franchise. It might not matter fully because look at Bayonetta's games, they go pretty far sometimes, so I'm not saying that it is a problem, more just saying there's some gray there that I don't know how nintendo would take, because they also don't know what else could come out as published fan games in the future too, which leaves a question mark for some things. I'm also not a lawyer, so I don't really know if anything about the rights is a liability or not legally speaking, but they always have to think about a lot of stuff.

Compare that to Shantae, who's just straight up part of one consistent indie company, with selective crossovers in some pretty good indie games up to now.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Probably the standard 10-12. If ARMS is any indication, maybe about 15-18 if WayForward is lax enough.
I'm sure WF would be like HERE JUST TAKE EM ALL. :p Nah I dunno, but if they like the music they could do like castlevania and just add a bunch XD

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm sure WF would be like HERE JUST TAKE EM ALL. :p Nah I dunno, but if they like the music they could do like castlevania and just add a bunch XD
Castlevania, Mega Man, and Street Fighter really highlight how much more the third-parties got in the base game compared to the DLCs. Terry's the only one to really break free from that, and even then his Spirit list was really limited compared to the base game franchises.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Castlevania, Mega Man, and Street Fighter really highlight how much more the third-parties got in the base game compared to the DLCs. Terry's the only one to really break free from that, and even then his Spirit list was really limited compared to the base game franchises.
Cloud got pitiful amount of FF music, but we all know it's cuz of SE. booo FF music rocks XD

Some companies are just more conservative. WF wouldn't be like that with Nintendo though.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Cloud got pitiful amount of FF music, but we all know it's cuz of SE. booo FF music rocks XD

Some companies are just more conservative. WF wouldn't be like that with Nintendo though.
It's not not necessarily SE, Final Fantasy rights are just a mess. I don't know the whole story, but apparently different aspects are owned by different people, So Square Enix owns the games, but one guy owns the music, and another guy owns the artwork, etc. Dragon Quest, on the other hand, got the standard for DLCs, but the sole exception f the music. The DQ composer owns the music and is a real pain in the *** about it, apparently he's not that pleasant of a guy in general. SQ gave Nintendo the rights to two Spirit Events as well, adding up to a total of 14 characters represented between them. It's mostly that SQ's main series were just really unlucky.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's not not necessarily SE, Final Fantasy rights are just a mess. I don't know the whole story, but apparently different aspects are owned by different people, So Square Enix owns the games, but one guy owns the music, and another guy owns the artwork, etc. Dragon Quest, on the other hand, got the standard for DLCs, but the sole exception f the music. The DQ composer owns the music and is a real pain in the *** about it, apparently he's not that pleasant of a guy in general. SQ gave Nintendo the rights to two Spirit Events as well, adding up to a total of 14 characters represented between them. It's mostly that SQ's main series were just really unlucky.
As far as I know that's not the case for FF, only DQ. Which is why people kept talking about how stingy SE is with FF music. I don't know the full deal though.

Edit: I did find some info that goes more along what you said, with there being more people and companies involved for the rights. Guess most people didnt look into it, including me lol.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Man my brain wants to tinfoil up so badly given ALL this stuff for Shantae is happening AROUND September.

Shantae Seven Siren physical copies/limited/collector's editions are shipping around this time with its Q3 2020 release time
Shantae 1 GBC and Switch release/physicals and Risky's Revenge are also in September
these UDON shirts are expected to shp in September

oh and the Smash amiibo come out in September.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Considering that it was Wayforward who threw Shantae artwork at Nintendo without being asked to do so (which is why she and Risky are even spirits to begin with), I think Nintendo would definitely have their pick of the litter.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Each page is 40 posts long, we are 16 (17 with this one) posts into 991. We are 384 away from 1000

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Man my brain wants to tinfoil up so badly given ALL this stuff for Shantae is happening AROUND September.

Shantae Seven Siren physical copies/limited/collector's editions are shipping around this time with its Q3 2020 release time
Shantae 1 GBC and Switch release/physicals and Risky's Revenge are also in September

I've been wondering where this sudden burst of them has come from for a while now too...
I doubt the push for Smash gave them enough attention to go all out like this all of the sudden.
And with their 'Milestones' it just kinda feels like it's building up to something. It might be nothing, but it all just makes it feel that way in my opinion.
Whatever their reasons though, I'm just happy to see Shantae getting all these new goodies and re-releases.
Hopefully she'll get some Smash attention too! If not a fighter, I'll take a Spirit event. I don't want her to go out with just two spirits and an icon...
I'm just gonna keep my fingers crossed.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I've been wondering where this sudden burst of them has come from for a while now too...
I doubt the push for Smash gave them enough attention to go all out like this all of the sudden.
And with their 'Milestones' it just kinda feels like it's building up to something. It might be nothing, but it all just makes it feel that way in my opinion.
Whatever their reasons though, I'm just happy to see Shantae getting all these new goodies and re-releases.
Hopefully she'll get some Smash attention too! If not a fighter, I'll take a Spirit event. I don't want her to go out with just two spirits and an icon...
I'm just gonna keep my fingers crossed.
Im betting everything it'll end at Milestone 30 to go with the 30th year anniversary. It just would make sense.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Im betting everything it'll end at Milestone 30 to go with the 30th year anniversary. It just would make sense.
They're already at Half-Genie Hero at #17 though... you think they could fill up the other 13 milestones?

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I feel a little bummed I never got around to playing the original 2 Shantae games back in the day. I've always liked platformers but never played them. I'm glad she's kept up with modern consoles as I think they are really great, entertaining games of an underrepresented genre. I hope only good things come for our Half Genie. I would totally buy a Shantae amiibo also and would play any of the games I haven't if they re-release them.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
They're already at Half-Genie Hero at #17 though... you think they could fill up the other 13 milestones?
Shantae Seven Sirens release, river city girls, shantae 1 rerelease, riskys revenge rerelease, working on bloodstained maybe,

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Shantae Seven Sirens release, river city girls, shantae 1 rerelease, riskys revenge rerelease, working on bloodstained maybe,
I mean, I could see them going for 30 milestones, just curious what would fill them up. Even with vitamin connection and mighty switch force collection there's still a few more to go XD
You think they'd acknowledge her spirit appearance in Smash as a milestone?

I feel a little bummed I never got around to playing the original 2 Shantae games back in the day. I've always liked platformers but never played them. I'm glad she's kept up with modern consoles as I think they are really great, entertaining games of an underrepresented genre. I hope only good things come for our Half Genie. I would totally buy a Shantae amiibo also and would play any of the games I haven't if they re-release them.
You're in luck, all the games in the Shantae series will be available on Switch soon! Both digital and physical (even the original is getting a gbc reproduction, if you're into that)!

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I forget, is the original GBC Shantae physical release limited or is it going to be more than that?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Lets see I could see a milestone for Sirens,Mummy, RR switch release, Shantae 1 rerelease, shantae smash spirit, mighty switch force collection, work on bloodstained, river city girls, vitaminconnection, and spidersaurs anything else? Maybe Shantae guest appearances?

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Ah the good ol leakers. Seems like Tiffany Treadmore on Twitter is outlining a lot of the whispers they've heard. Of note is a "Metroidvania game for Nintendo" which is separate from Metroid Prime 4 and Metroid Prime Trilogy. The pipe dream would be Wayforward developing that title for Nintendo.

Dukefire

Smash Master
For her guest appearances, she appears in 3
-Blaster Master Zero
-Runbow
-Mutant Mudds Super Challenge

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ah the good ol leakers. Seems like Tiffany Treadmore on Twitter is outlining a lot of the whispers they've heard. Of note is a "Metroidvania game for Nintendo" which is separate from Metroid Prime 4 and Metroid Prime Trilogy. The pipe dream would be Wayforward developing that title for Nintendo.
Lol yeah that's dreaming but I mean, not impossible.

For her guest appearances, she appears in 3
-Blaster Master Zero
-Runbow
-Mutant Mudds Super Challenge
You missed some.
https://fictionalcrossover.fandom.com/wiki/Shantae

(Note: that's not just guest appearances, but it still lists them)

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Honestly, I wouldn't put any stock into them. Aside from that first four dates, which weren't even all correct, they've just been throwing out vague, overdramatic clips, going with whatever everyone else is going with at the moment, and some stuff that's... Well, it's not for good boys and girls, let's just say that. They're just here for the leaker clout.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I've seen polarizing responses to Seven Sirens, but I personally enjoyed the game. I think it might've been disappointment for those expecting to be blown out of the water

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I've seen polarizing responses to Seven Sirens, but I personally enjoyed the game. I think it might've been disappointment for those expecting to be blown out of the water
I had a lot of fun with it. The backtracking wasn't my absolute favorite thing, but it's not new to the series. With the on-the-fly transformations it had a Hollow Knight feel to it, which isn't a bad thing to me. My only criticism is that it was a little too easy. I don't think I died even once, and I only ate food a couple times. I don't really fault it for that if the audience is intended to include people not familiar with that type of game.

The writing, animation, and gameplay was all pretty fun though. A solid addition to the series imo.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I had a lot of fun with it. The backtracking wasn't my absolute favorite thing, but it's not new to the series. With the on-the-fly transformations it had a Hollow Knight feel to it, which isn't a bad thing to me. My only criticism is that it was a little too easy. I don't think I died even once, and I only ate food a couple times. I don't really fault it for that if the audience is intended to include people not familiar with that type of game.

The writing, animation, and gameplay was all pretty fun though. A solid addition to the series imo.
That was what I thought as well.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I mean, I can agree that the game isn't perfect.

IMO, the in-game cutscenes (not the anime ones) are very... minimalistic.
Just like in Half-Genie Hero.
And me personally, I wish in-game conversations and cutscenes would use more animations and movement.
Like how Freedom Planet handled character conversations.
I mean, it doesn't have to go the whole way, but it'd definitely break the monotony of conversations, if characters would just... act more with their animations as well and not just with their voices and mugshots.

But that is a minor gripe at most.
Nothing that makes the game bad.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I mean, I can agree that the game isn't perfect.

IMO, the in-game cutscenes (not the anime ones) are very... minimalistic.
Just like in Half-Genie Hero.
And me personally, I wish in-game conversations and cutscenes would use more animations and movement.
Like how Freedom Planet handled character conversations.
I mean, it doesn't have to go the whole way, but it'd definitely break the monotony of conversations, if characters would just... act more with their animations as well and not just with their voices and mugshots.

But that is a minor gripe at most.
Nothing that makes the game bad.
I can agree on this point, and maybe future installments will address those critiques.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Moving into August tomorrow. Hopefully some news from Nintendo may come to light later if they have planned it out.

Also, my view on the Internet waiting for Nintendo breaking the silence.
Screenshot_20200731-200924_YouTube.jpg

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

A lot of people at the Geno thread including myself are banking on a Mario character to be next because of Mario's 35th anniversary coming up. But damn, imagine if we are wrong and Shantae is the next fighter, I would die happy.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Let's us see soon. For now, I see that our wishes to Nintendo is still up in the stars as the road is still broken according to the silence.

Top Bottom