• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
I've seen people going bonkers about it allegedly going revealed Ryza for FP7. I'm taking it as another baseless, overly-hyped KOS-MOS debacle.
It says "previously-announced" games, so there shouldn't be any Smash content.

Autocorrect brutally butchered that. Not fixing it.
I'm sure that Ryza "leak" only started because of the ratings leak for Aterlier Ryza 2. Though I'd love to see Ryza as a fighter, she's a great character and I absolutely love the game.
Truly hyped for Aterlier Ryza 2 as well if that appears to be true.

The way they worded that tweet makes it sound like it's going to be more of a briefing on games we're already aware of. So no reveals of any kind, just a few updates on some games and perhaps a few release dates announced. Things that were time-sensitive and couldn't be delayed like the rest of direct perhaps?
Maybe if we're lucky we get a date for the next full Direct, but even that's probably a bit of stretch at the moment. Even a rough estimate would be nice at this point.

I'm sure Nintendo's schedule of announcements and such is a bit of a mess right now, so I'm just gonna take a step back in keeping up with speculation as things seem really hard to predict these days. Speculation and rumors don't really get more fun in these situations, so I'm sure I'll hear it when something bigger is about to happen.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I've seen people going bonkers about it allegedly going revealed Ryza for FP7. I'm taking it as another baseless, overly-hyped KOS-MOS debacle.
It says "previously-announced" games, so there shouldn't be any Smash content.

Autocorrect brutally butchered that. Not fixing it.
People never learn, do they?

Confirmation bias is a nasty thing.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I have already set my expectations to the lowest I can do. Also, there will be people to crash and burn with this mini presentation.
It is not to going to go well for some peope unless another announcement is brought up after, but I don't think that is nintendo's plan with the ongoing pandemic screwing with schedules.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I have already set my expectations to the lowest I can do. Also, there will be people to crash and burn with this mini presentation.
It is not to going to go well for some peope unless another announcement is brought up after, but I don't think that is nintendo's plan with the ongoing pandemic screwing with schedules.
I'm sure there will be something i will like shown, but not expecting to be super wowed. If i am though, then cool

Dukefire

Smash Master
I'm sure there will be something i will like shown, but not expecting to be super wowed. If i am though, then cool
I just hope Nintendo will have another presentation later for upcoming games down the year. Still, blame the ongoing pandemic on ruining 2020 for plans worldwide.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I just hope Nintendo will have another presentation later for upcoming games down the year. Still, blame the ongoing pandemic on ruining 2020 for plans worldwide.
Maybe, but other companies have had big presentations showing off multiple games. Only Nintendo have been basically radio silent

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I guess that was a good direct for SMT fans, getting confirmation of Nocturne (I don't believe this was ever teased? Kind of goes against what they said about direct being only about announced third-parties) and V's release date. Ryza 2 also ended up being real, and we got DLC for Cadence of Hyrule just to make the third and first party distinctions more confusing.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I guess that was a good direct for SMT fans, getting confirmation of Nocturne (I don't believe this was ever teased? Kind of goes against what they said about direct being only about announced third-parties) and V's release date. Ryza 2 also ended up being real, and we got DLC for Cadence of Hyrule just to make the third and first party distinctions more confusing.
I'm thinking that because they said they have more of these presentations for the rest of the year, we could get one a month or every couple of weeks. That wasn't much info all things considered, so there's gotta be something else coming in the near future.

Dukefire

Smash Master
They won't leave both fans and non-fans waiting for more news to appear. Hopefully it is the case in their improvised plan

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Man, the dislike ratio of that Direct is asinine.

I can understand Byleth or that shovelware Bakugan game hyped up through Nintendo Treehouse, but this is just ridiculous for people to dislike a video for what wasn't there.

Nintendo and the parties involved did nothing wrong in the slightest this time.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Again, it was the fan's fault that led them to Crash and Burn on betting with leaks. Reality doesn't present what we are wanting, so keep yourself grounded if things are looking too good to be true.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Man, the dislike ratio of that Direct is asinine.

I can understand Byleth or that shovelware Bakugan game hyped up through Nintendo Treehouse, but this is just ridiculous for people to dislike a video for what wasn't there.

Nintendo and the parties involved did nothing wrong in the slightest this time.
It seems like a mix of things.

a) this is apparently the stand-in for the E3 presentation (seeing as no other Directs have been announced, hinted at, or even rumoured), during a time when both Sony and Microsoft have a ton of big announcements

b) unless you're already a Shin Megami Tensei fan, there wasn't much in the Direct.

c) it was significantly shorter than the previous mini Direct (unless you saw a translation of a Japanese tweet, there was no way of knowing how long it was, and even then, the presentation was shorter than estimated)

d) it's coming at the time of an almost unprecedented drought of information when it comes to content on Nintendo consoles. With the release of Paper Mario: The Origami King, we know absolutely nothing about Nintendo's 2020 line-up, and if the eShop's any indication, the only major releases that are even estimated to release this year (first party or third party) are No More Heroes 3 and Bravely Default 2. (neither one has an actual release date)

On top of that, it has been ten months (nearly a year) since the last "full" Nintendo Direct (not a mini, not based around one specific game), and if these micro-Directs are any indication of what Nintendo's going to do going forward, it doesn't seem like it sets a good precedent.

Also, some people didn't bother to read the description and somehow thought that we'd be getting news on Breath of the Wild 2, but I'm hoping those people were in the minority.

Last edited:

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
I think this mini direct thing is another example of why you should never give "leakers" attention. The only people that can benefit from "Leaks" are the "Leaker", and click bait YouTubers.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I'm sure Nintendo's schedule of announcements and such is a bit of a mess right now, so I'm just gonna take a step back in keeping up with speculation as things seem really hard to predict these days. Speculation and rumors don't really get more fun in these situations, so I'm sure I'll hear it when something bigger is about to happen.
Against some of my better learnings of forgive, I see Nintendo as having major faults now. Mainly because, as the others have pointed out, both Microsoft and Sony had figured out a way to work with the direct in spite of the Pandemic, while Nintendo's just got annihilated by it and they hadn't really done anything to really course corrected themselves. Though at the same time, both of the above mentioned companies have the Xbox Series X and PS5 going for them while Nintendo's trucking along with their Switch. That being said, I won't abstain from my above criticisms because they really should have adapted better to the challenges and changes of the pandemic.

That being said, the Sakurai presentations with Smash Ultimate are their own timeline. While Nintendo would prefer them be with a mainline Direct, they do give him the time and day to do presentations separate from their announcements. In short, it's very friggin' stupid to expect Nintendo to always have a Smash Announcement when we've seen Sakurai doing his duties to automate the announcements to his timeframes.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Maybe I'm misremembering, but how many first party titles did we really get at a time during a normal E3 direct? Let alone ones releasing shortly?

What's happening is probably we're getting the contents of what would have been this year's E3 delivered in bits & pieces, and with the unstable environment of COVID, (HAL had to move their Tokyo employees to one of Nintendo's buildings recently), would reather not announce things on their end until they're certain they can state things accurately, hence the Paper Mario shadow drop. They can afford to be more flexible with third-parties though as Nintendo is not liable for delays on the latter's end.

"Droughts" are a great time to check games you might otherwise pass over; if there really is nothing coming shortly after I'm finished with Origami King, I'll be looking at Trails Of Cold Steel III next.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I think this mini direct thing is another example of why you should never give "leakers" attention. The only people that can benefit from "Leaks" are the "Leaker", and click bait YouTubers.
If there's one thing the leakers do, it's drum up some excitement for the future. I personally love discussing possibilities, even if those possibilities are most likely fake. It lets my imagination run wild and drum up ideas. Not everything has to be about being right.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
If there's one thing the leakers do, it's drum up some excitement for the future. I personally love discussing possibilities, even if those possibilities are most likely fake. It lets my imagination run wild and drum up ideas. Not everything has to be about being right.
Thing is official announcements do the same thing. You need not look much further then how Nintendo handled The ARMS character in smash.

Even for normal directs as soon as they are announced, the speculation machines start working overdrive. Remember the Bakugan.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Thing is official announcements do the same thing. You need not look much further then how Nintendo handled The ARMS character in smash.

Even for normal directs as soon as they are announced, the speculation machines start working overdrive. Remember the Bakugan.
See that's the thing. There's a difference between having fun predicting and anticipating. It really lies on the individual to rein in their expectations and keep what they want and what they expect separate. Leakers may present the possibility and temptation to believe, but it's all up to whoever reads it. I like to think of them as discussion points more than an appendix of games we will get.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Against some of my better learnings of forgive, I see Nintendo as having major faults now. Mainly because, as the others have pointed out, both Microsoft and Sony had figured out a way to work with the direct in spite of the Pandemic, while Nintendo's just got annihilated by it and they hadn't really done anything to really course corrected themselves. Though at the same time, both of the above mentioned companies have the Xbox Series X and PS5 going for them while Nintendo's trucking along with their Switch. That being said, I won't abstain from my above criticisms because they really should have adapted better to the challenges and changes of the pandemic.

That being said, the Sakurai presentations with Smash Ultimate are their own timeline. While Nintendo would prefer them be with a mainline Direct, they do give him the time and day to do presentations separate from their announcements. In short, it's very friggin' stupid to expect Nintendo to always have a Smash Announcement when we've seen Sakurai doing his duties to automate the announcements to his timeframes.
Adapted in what terms? Safety or efficiency? Which of these do you actually value more in a company?

It's comparatively easy to make compilations of games and game announcements when you don't actually develop any games. You just have to communicate with the people who do and move from there. And if they end up not meeting their deadlines, well it may be annoying and impact the appeal of your console, but you also cannot really be held accountable for those mishaps.

I really don't see what could reasonably allow Nintendo to make similar types of announcements as other major players in these times without either acting like COVID doesn't affect them at all, or stop developing games that reflect on them. Are you sure you would like the measures that would end up being taken to rectify these downsides of Nintendo's work style?

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
It seems like a mix of things.

a) this is apparently the stand-in for the E3 presentation (seeing as no other Directs have been announced, hinted at, or even rumoured), during a time when both Sony and Microsoft have a ton of big announcements

b) unless you're already a Shin Megami Tensei fan, there wasn't much in the Direct.

c) it was significantly shorter than the previous mini Direct (unless you saw a translation of a Japanese tweet, there was no way of knowing how long it was, and even then, the presentation was shorter than estimated)

d) it's coming at the time of an almost unprecedented drought of information when it comes to content on Nintendo consoles. With the release of Paper Mario: The Origami King, we know absolutely nothing about Nintendo's 2020 line-up, and if the eShop's any indication, the only major releases that are even estimated to release this year (first party or third party) are No More Heroes 3 and Bravely Default 2. (neither one has an actual release date)

On top of that, it has been ten months (nearly a year) since the last "full" Nintendo Direct (not a mini, not based around one specific game), and if these micro-Directs are any indication of what Nintendo's going to do going forward, it doesn't seem like it sets a good precedent.

Also, some people didn't bother to read the description and somehow thought that we'd be getting news on Breath of the Wild 2, but I'm hoping those people were in the minority.
Thanks for elaborating.

I still don't agree with much if any of it, but at least it's better than my previous assumption that it was only Smash entitled fanaticism.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Thanks for elaborating.

I still don't agree with much if any of it, but at least it's better than my previous assumption that it was only Smash entitled fanaticism.
Think of it like this...

Nintendo: "Hey, we haven't had a substantial direct in almost a year and people are aching for content they can sink their teeth into. You know what we need?...BAKUGAN! NO WAIT--A mini direct full of meh! AGAIN!"

Would you be happy? Sure, it's something....a crumb,,,,but where's the FOOD?! We're dyin' over here!

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Think of it like this...

Nintendo: "Hey, we haven't had a substantial direct in almost a year and people are aching for content they can sink their teeth into. You know what we need?...BAKUGAN! NO WAIT--A mini direct full of meh! AGAIN!"

Would you be happy? Sure, it's something....a crumb,,,,but where's the FOOD?! We're dyin' over here!
Yeah, I think that's the biggest part of it. Like this has been such a long drought and on top of that we are now caught up on all the in for Nintendo has gotten us. For everyone who doesn't care about the new Paper Mario, there is nothing to even look forward to.

I can understand that the current circumstances has changed plans for releases, but they had to have had something prepared for E3 before they knew it was canceled, so you'd think they would have a few meaty announcements they could piece meal us to tide everyone over. Not even release dates since i don;t want anyone over extending themselves to meet deadlines in this climate, just something to let us know what is in the pipeline.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
I didn't think the Shin Megami Tensei were meh, I didn't know about this franchise but the gloomy atmosphere of the games really got me interested, especially that music from the Remaster trailer !

Dukefire

Smash Master
WF for Half Genie Hero as Milestone 17.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
WF for Half Genie Hero as Milestone 17.
My wish is that they have 30 milestones for this 30th anniversary, and on the 29th they hint the 30th HASNT happened yet...and then sometime later BOOM! Shantae Smash reveal!

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Something weird I'm noticing about someone in Origami King...

It's odd, but Luigi is kind of giving me Bolo vibes with his single-minded pursuit of an objective with the larger goal of proving himself helpful to others, yet making all sorts of mishaps from naivete and clumsiness.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

It's odd, but Luigi is kind of giving me Bolo vibes with his single-minded pursuit of an objective with the larger goal of proving himself helpful to others, yet making all sorts of mishaps from naivete and clumsiness.
I never made that connection until now, but yeah I can see the similarity lol.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I just finished playing through Seven Sirens and I really enjoyed it. (I also really liked the last couple games too!) She has a character design fit for Smash, at least in terms of moveset. I'm a bit concerned that her attire may be unfit for good boys and girls in Smash, but she's no more suggestive than Bayonetta and they could definitely tastefully cover her up a little bit if necessary. She's definitely my number 1 or 2 most wanted for Smash at this point (post Banjo), and while I'm a little concerned that a Western 3rd Party mostly-Indie character might not have the best chances, Nintendo does seem interested in WayForward nowadays more than ever, so we'll see!

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace

He was like this in his TTYD sidestory. It's not new to PM.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
I just finished playing through Seven Sirens and I really enjoyed it. (I also really liked the last couple games too!) She has a character design fit for Smash, at least in terms of moveset. I'm a bit concerned that her attire may be unfit for good boys and girls in Smash, but she's no more suggestive than Bayonetta and they could definitely tastefully cover her up a little bit if necessary. She's definitely my number 1 or 2 most wanted for Smash at this point (post Banjo), and while I'm a little concerned that a Western 3rd Party mostly-Indie character might not have the best chances, Nintendo does seem interested in WayForward nowadays more than ever, so we'll see!
Dang, I'm still waiting for my Limited Run Games copy. I couldn't double dip this time sadly... But it's great to hear people say it's worth it!
As for censorship, I'm not worried. I think her pants might get pulled up a little, or at least he black part of her pants, and that'd be about it. Perhaps she'd get her upper arm sleeve things to kind of break up the bare skin a bit, but I don't think that any of it would be much of an issue.

I am interested to know how Shantae is seen by Nintendo though, and more specifically by Sakurai. Or even how she's doing in Japan. I know she's growing in Japan and they'll get Seven Sirens there soon too. (Heh, would be great if things lined up with that XD). But I don't have a concrete idea on how 'successful' the series is there. All I know is that it was better received than Shovel Knight was, from what people claim.
I don't know if Nintendo/Sakurai is willing to 'help' an indie franchise or if they're mainly just focused on making sure they profit. Because I don't think selecting her for the pass would sway sales much (she was heavily requested though), so it wouldn't do too much for Nintendo (at least not as much as other characters could). Would they stick out their arm like that to get a requested indie aboard? For the sake of having a pretty unique character?

I've also been wondering why they went with six characters this time. Seems like they had their minds made up before even thinking of another pass...
And they set quite a large timeframe for themselves to get them done. I feel we're getting quite some unique characters in this pass and Minmin kind of started to prove that.
But in general I'm wary, but excited to see what's to come.

And just for sake of discussion:
Which character would you point at as that one character that made this pass go from 5 to 6? And what about them would allow it to become 6 instead of booting someone else off of the pass instead?

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Hey all. Given y'all enough time to get Seven Siren hyped spoilers talk out of the way before the LR release and got my schedule reconfigured from going back to work. Anything fun happened in the last ... 50 some pages? I know the first two games coming to the switch improve her chances.

Which character would you point at as that one character that made this pass go from 5 to 6? And what about them would allow it to become 6 instead of booting someone else off of the pass instead?
Either a long time request, like Geno. Or a big shot partnership like Sora or Master Chief.

I still just want Shantae and Lara Croft.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Or maybe just to have a solid, round number for a given time frame.

Last time they had 5 for a year.
This time, they have 6 for two years. So 3 each year.

Of course, this is just conjecture.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just to set your mind off of waiting for more Nintendo news. If you are familiar with NiGHTS into Dreams series, he/she is getting a cousin made by the 2 Sonic the Hedgehog creators.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Just to set your mind off of waiting for more Nintendo news. If you are familiar with NiGHTS into Dreams series, he/she is getting a cousin made by the 2 Sonic the Hedgehog creators.
That game is the most exciting one shown for me, and it wasn't even in the main conference.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So who you guys think would be the perfect character to end Ultimate on? I think Master Chief would be the perfect last newcomer for Ultimate because of him being the Xbox mascot and pretty much being the face of the FPS genre. The Internet would break if he got in and I think he's perfect to be last.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So who you guys think would be the perfect character to end Ultimate on? I think Master Chief would be the perfect last newcomer for Ultimate because of him being the Xbox mascot and pretty much being the face of the FPS genre. The Internet would break if he got in and I think he's perfect to be last.
Reiji & Xiaomu. Yes they are obscure, but what better way to cap off the ultimate gaming crossover than with protagonists of the biggest ones before that?

zferolie

Smash Hero
That game is the most exciting one shown for me, and it wasn't even in the main conference.
I missed this as I didn't watch the preshow, bit found this much more exciting then anything shown in the main conference. Though PSO2 and psychonauts 2 new trailer were good

Top Bottom