• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We will see what WF is bringing to the table at the treehouse tomorrow. Just don't expect too much since Paper Mario is the star for the broadcast.View attachment 277876
Still will be more than what we got in New Game+ Expo. Which was nothing.

Maybe Ninja Gaiden. I think Fatman heard from one of his sources about a new Ninja Gaiden game is coming that is classical 2D like the old NES games.
That would also make sense.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Maybe Ninja Gaiden. I think Fatman heard from one of his sources about a new Ninja Gaiden game is coming that is classical 2D like the old NES games.
That would be very cool. A Ninja Gaiden game with Ryu, Ayami, Momoji, and that other girl That works with Ryu that I am forgetting the name of all as playable in a 2D setting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Very interesting. So Nintendo feels confident in Wayforward to showcase a third party game off on the treehouse.

So it has to be Nintendo exclusive or first on nintendo I feel. It not being a first party game doesn't change how big this is for wayforward.

No Idea what it could be, but I feel its tied to Nintendo and is a revitalization of an old property. By tied to Nintendo I mean the series started on a Nintendo system, like NES or SNES.

I am not sure its another ArkSys game, but it could be. Part of me feels it could be another Capcom series. Wayforward did Redo the Ducktales game. Maybe its another old Capcom series. Ghost n Goblins?

Or could be a Namco or Konami series.

Honestly I think this could also show how close Wayforward has been getting with Japanese developers, and it shows Nintendo knows and is fine working with Wayforward. One big hurdle a lot of people say about shantae is because they are western it would be hard for Sakurai and team to communicate but this obviously is not the case
Well I definitely think that's on the right track. I still think it's possible that they meant it's not 1st party to nintendo (nintendo collab), so could be totally original, but having thought about it I think it makes sense to be a good oldie franchise. They did say it's new 'to' WF.

So what could it be :O
Even if Paper Mario isn't rpg as much, I can't help but wonder if maybe it'd be an rpg :)

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
This is incredibly interesting. A third party franchise new to WayForward being shown off in a Nintendo presentation. There is so much that makes this weird. So being shown off by Nintendo doesn't exactly mean exclusive, but it strongly leans that way, which is weird because if it's third party, why wouldn't they want to put it on other platforms?

I want to assume that this "franchise" isn't a gaming franchise, since if that third party was releasing a game you think they would just make it themselves. The only way I could see this being another gaming IP is if it's one that the respective company doesn't care much about. Perhaps I'm being hopeful, but maybe we could finally be getting a new Adventure Island? I mean, Konami hasn't really cared about any of the Hudson Soft properties (aside from Bomberman) since the acquired them.

Still I feel that a licensed game from a non gaming IP is more likely. And that makes sense since WF are kings of making actually good licensed games. From experience I can say that Duck Amuck on the DS, their Ninja Turtle game on the 3DS, the First Adventure Time Game on the 3DS and Goosebumps on the Switch are all far above the quality of most games made on non gaming properties. And lets of course not forget Mummy Demastered.

Either way, at least we don't have to wait long to find out.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well I definitely think that's on the right track. I still think it's possible that they meant it's not 1st party to nintendo (nintendo collab), so could be totally original, but having thought about it I think it makes sense to be a good oldie franchise. They did say it's new 'to' WF.

So what could it be :O
Even if Paper Mario isn't rpg as much, I can't help but wonder if maybe it'd be an rpg :)
Right now our hints for it is its a third party IP Wayforward has never worked with(so its most likely a legacy series), and its something Nintendo feels closely too or likes enough to show it off on their treehouse.

lol Wayforward making the Mario RPG remake as its TECHNICALLY a third party :p I kid.

But yeah, It could be an RPG. They haven't really done many of those. I think though it will be some sort of platformer, as they are best known for that. Ninja Gaiden could be it. That is a legacy series closely tied to Nintendo.

Dukefire

Smash Master
With the company now 30 years old, lets see the new environment they will try next.
Screenshot_20200327-121237_YouTube.jpg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That would be very cool. A Ninja Gaiden game with Ryu, Ayami, Momoji, and that other girl That works with Ryu that I am forgetting the name of all as playable in a 2D setting.
Rachel, I believe. Yeah, modern NG has so much ladies that I wouldn't be too surprised if that was their choice.

Also, it's Ayane, not Ayami.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Rachel, I believe. Yeah, modern NG has so much ladies that I wouldn't be too surprised if that was their choice.
Wayforward do loves their Ladies, so I honestly feel whatever they are showing off, has a high chance of a Female Main or playable character

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So imagine Risky Boots and Captain Syrup teaming up against Shantae and Wario. Man, a Shantae x Wario Land crossover would be great.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This is incredibly interesting. A third party franchise new to WayForward being shown off in a Nintendo presentation. There is so much that makes this weird. So being shown off by Nintendo doesn't exactly mean exclusive, but it strongly leans that way, which is weird because if it's third party, why wouldn't they want to put it on other platforms?

I want to assume that this "franchise" isn't a gaming franchise, since if that third party was releasing a game you think they would just make it themselves. The only way I could see this being another gaming IP is if it's one that the respective company doesn't care much about. Perhaps I'm being hopeful, but maybe we could finally be getting a new Adventure Island? I mean, Konami hasn't really cared about any of the Hudson Soft properties (aside from Bomberman) since the acquired them.

Still I feel that a licensed game from a non gaming IP is more likely. And that makes sense since WF are kings of making actually good licensed games. From experience I can say that Duck Amuck on the DS, their Ninja Turtle game on the 3DS, the First Adventure Time Game on the 3DS and Goosebumps on the Switch are all far above the quality of most games made on non gaming properties. And lets of course not forget Mummy Demastered.

Either way, at least we don't have to wait long to find out.
Maybe Rescue Rangers? That was on NES and we have yet to get anything new for the Disney Afternoon line after Ducktales Remastered.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo announces a "title in a franchise new to WayForward"?

Not simply "a new title from WayForward"?

Interesting, very interesting. I'm hoping it's a new Wario Land game, but there is the rumor about another 2D Metroid.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think a series that was either popular or well liked on a nintendo console is the best guess. Tried to think of a few things, but I really dont know XD

Nintendo announces a "title in a franchise new to WayForward"?

Not simply "a new title from WayForward"?

Interesting, very interesting. I'm hoping it's a new Wario Land game, but there is the rumor about another 2D Metroid.
Nintendo clarified that it was a 3rd party franchise (so probably means nothing nintendo). So yeah, Leaves a lot of things in questions :p

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
If it is a remake in the vein of Ducktales Remastered, I hope it's at least a well loved game and not something only a select few get excited about. Call me a millennial, but I would not be excited about any possible Animaniacs/Rescue Rangers game remake.

etnoika

Smash Cadet
The only thing I can think of is some kind of crossover between one of WF's properties and a Nintendo one, I guess that would classify as a "third party" game?

Crossing my fingers for Shantae x Legend of Zelda, lol.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Dunno if you guys and gals saw this, but there was also the announcement of a 'seperate project' for River City Girls (not dlc)

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
I think a series that was either popular or well liked on a nintendo console is the best guess. Tried to think of a few things, but I really dont know XD

Nintendo clarified that it was a 3rd party franchise (so probably means nothing nintendo). So yeah, Leaves a lot of things in questions :p
Well, that was fun for as brief as that lasted.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
A bit hype for tomorow now :D
Don't really have any expectations, just wanna see what it's about :)

I think the tree house starts in like 11-12 hours?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Whatever happens, looks like July is very HOT with plenty of news to make up for the ongoing pandemic.

Just don't overheat yourself while enjoying the news and hopeful wishes.
Screenshot_20200523-124034_YouTube.jpg

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
So... interesting development. I was watching Bannon Rudis's Twitch stream ( Wayforward employee) I missed a bit of it. So my info may be wrong. Gonna try to source this properly tomorrow once the vod is up. If anyone wants to beat me to it it happened very early in the stream. It's late and I'm sleepy.

He claims.
1 To not know what the project is. As a separate team was assigned.
2 If the project was leaked the project would be cancelled.
3 the QA section of Wayforward was walled off by an outside company (Might of said Nintendo*) and there only way in is via a cardkey.

I guess Nintendo is publishing whatever game is being worked on. Why else would Nintendo (Potentially) be so strict in the security of a 3rd party property?

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
So now we live in a time where all Shantae games will be playable on one platform. If only the original would also make it to PS4/XBO.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So... interesting development. I was watching Bannon Rudis's Twitch stream ( Wayforward employee) I missed a bit of it. So my info may be wrong. Gonna try to source this properly tomorrow once the vod is up. If anyone wants to beat me to it it happened very early in the stream. It's late and I'm sleepy.

He claims.
3 the QA section of Wayforward was walled off by an outside company (Might of said Nintendo*) and there only way in is via a cardkey.

I guess Nintendo is publishing whatever game is being worked on. Why else would Nintendo (Potentially) be so strict in the security of a 3rd party property?
That is SO WEIRD! So Nintendo is publishing a third party game and getting WF to make it. This really makes me think that this will be a game from a non gaming franchise. Like why would Nintendo go to a gaming company to get them to make a game, but then have them go to another developer to make it? But then it raises the question, which non gaming franchise would Nintendo care enough about to want to make a game exclusively for them? Tomorrow is gonna be interesting.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I just want to know....what in the HELL do Nintendo play in this WayForward announcement?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That is SO WEIRD! So Nintendo is publishing a third party game and getting WF to make it. This really makes me think that this will be a game from a non gaming franchise. Like why would Nintendo go to a gaming company to get them to make a game, but then have them go to another developer to make it? But then it raises the question, which non gaming franchise would Nintendo care enough about to want to make a game exclusively for them? Tomorrow is gonna be interesting.
WayForward developed the remake of DuckTales, so imagine if they remake Aladdin.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
WayForward developed the remake of DuckTales, so imagine if they remake Aladdin.
I would love that, but the Virgin Aladdin and Lion King games got rereleases just last year, so I find it unlikely they would be so eager to release another Retro Aladdin game (even if the SNES version was better than the Genesis)

If we were getting another Disney remake, I would like to see Cold Shadow come back. It was such a weird concept (Donald Duck playing an investigatore named Maui Mallard who also becomes a ninja)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I would love that, but the Virgin Aladdin and Lion King games got rereleases just last year, so I find it unlikely they would be so eager to release another Retro Aladdin game (even if the SNES version was better than the Genesis)

If we were getting another Disney remake, I would like to see Cold Shadow come back. It was such a weird concept (Donald Duck playing an investigatore named Maui Mallard who also becomes a ninja)
Or they could remake the DuckTales 2 game.

Staarih

Smash Master
Whatever the game will be, just the fact that Nintendo is ”hyping” or promoting a game made by WayForward separately like this, as if it was something to be excited for, is promising. Though I still kinda think it’ll be nothing too major, but we’ll see!

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

He claims.

I'm not sure if this is something Nintendo is doing or something whatever third party that's helping is doing, but regardless the secrecy is making me a little more excited.

I'm gonna make my official prediction and go out there on a limb for it. The company lending their IP to Wayforward is Capcom, and the IP is the Viewtiful Joe series. Exclusive to Nintendo Switch with a new Wayforward art style.

Edit: I don't know where PapaGenos got his info from, but he seems to think that he knows it's not a movie tie in and that the last game released in the series was in 2011...
Ghost Trick maybe? It's a Capcom game and everyone has hoped for something else Ghost Trick since it came out in 2011.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If it's a game, then one can reasonably assume that it is indeed one, even gaming websites think so. I hardly think it'd be a line of Build-A-Bears for Crash Bandicoot, or other randomly odd things like that. It has to be something big for Nintendo to actually allow another company to step on their Treehouse stream's toes.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Are. You. Kidding. Me?

https://www.summergamefest.com/

Summer Game Fest has actually listed this event, even though Nintendo and WayForward are not listed as a part of Summer Game Fest! Something's up.

On an unrelated note, Primrose is practically uncensored in the Octopath spirit event:

Would a Nintendo Vs. Capcom or whatever still technically count as a third party?
Ono would push for that more, honestly. Besides, WF never did any fighting games.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Honestly, there is nothing wrong with Primrose's outfit that does affect the rating with her dancer outfit. Just like Shantae, her outfit is ok according to the CERO rating.

Something about Primrose after skimming through her backstory, dang she has the deepest scars one bears on waiting for revenge.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Are. You. Kidding. Me?

https://www.summergamefest.com/

Summer Game Fest has actually listed this event, even though Nintendo and WayForward are not listed as a part of Summer Game Fest! Something's up.

On an unrelated note, Primrose is practically uncensored in the Octopath spirit event:

Ono would push for that more, honestly. Besides, WF never did any fighting games.
No, but Arc System Works coached them in implementing at least some of the fighting-game inspired mechanics of River City Girls.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Less than 2 hours left for paper mario and then what we wanna know :)
Guess i'll take a walk outside for now XD

Top Bottom