• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I doubt this is connected to Paper Mario specifically(Just seems like the best place to highlight something like this right now), but maybe there could be some tangential Mario connection? People in here have brought up how WayForward would do well with a Wario Land game.
Wario.. i mean sure they've been in warioware. Anyway i was just playing. I think it'll just be a completly new WF franchise. I'm just surprised it'll feature in that direct, instead of from WF themselves. Open to greater too :)

My dream is its a new Mischief Makers as theyve said they want to work with that IP before.
Lol I wish, Mischief Makers was awesome. Bring it back even just as a port or remake and I'd get it.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Wario.. i mean sure they've been in warioware. Anyway i was just playing. I think it'll just be a completly new WF franchise. I'm just surprised it'll feature in that direct, instead of from WF themselves. Open to greater too :)
I completely forgot about that!

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Yeah it baffles me that this is in a Treehouse Live. With a new entry in an existing series that's new to them at that...
It's something that either couldn't wait until the rumored Direct or is related to Paper Mario somewhat?
It's a bit curious to me...

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I am personally convinced this is going to be a new 2D Metroid made by Wayforward. It makes too much sense. Wayforward are well known as a leader in the metroidvania genre, and they're finally getting the opportunity to prove it from the brand they have always supported. I am so excited.

And this definitely boosts Shantae's chances. No question. We now know that Nintendo acknowledges and supports their relationship with Wayforward to the point that they trust them with one of their own IPs. Only Ubisoft and Brace Yourself Games have gotten that treatment as of late, and with Brace Yourself they only were able to make a Crypt of the Necrodancer game with Zelda enemies and characters. We'll have to wait until 10am PT to know for sure, but I am so giddy right now I can't stop smiling.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I feel like a vaguely recall several elements of the Shantae game being Wario Land inspired. Does anyone else recall something like that?

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
I'm leaning more towards Wario over Metroid.

Wario's more stylized and lighthearted tone better lends itself to wayforward signature style. you could take just about any character from shantae and put them in a Wario game and they wouldn't look too out of place.

I'm not saying Wayforward can't do a darker game like Metroid. But it's not what they're known for.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'm leaning more towards Wario over Metroid.

Wario's more stylized and lighthearted tone better lends itself to wayforward signature style. you could take just about any character from shantae and put them in a Wario game and they wouldn't look too out of place.

I'm not saying Wayforward can't do a darker game like Metroid. But it's not what they're known for.
I agree, but they could still pull off a darker tone. The Mummy Demastered is a prime example.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Something wario inspired wouldnt be bad :D Imagine if there could also be more character from Warioware in a new game by WF :p
But like.. kat and ana in a side scroller?? hehe. Just dreaming.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
While I don’t believe anything Smash related is happening tomorrow, I’m just glad to see older WayForward games making a come back and I’ll be happy to see what is coming next from them.

WreckitRyan

Smash Apprentice
Wow, what an exciting few days it’s been for Shantae fans. Spirits becoming fighters, old games being released on Switch, rumored Direct incoming, a special highlight in Treehouse Live...

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I don't think anyone is saying it's a Smash reveal, just what kind of first-party WayForward is making a new game for.
Oh I know. I’m speaking for myself. (But I have seen people jumping to conclusions, as usual, so it’s more just in case. Since I don’t come on here often anymore and I just like to occasionally post to share opinion.)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Like I said before, it's hard to overlook Shantae not happening in Smash when she has been getting all these brownie points in her favor left and right. I'm really starting to believe she could really be in.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Nintendo really should have phrased that original tweet better. Still, I am curious what they are giving a spotlight to.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Sorry, this is all I am thinking about with all this WF news, basically just them pulping everything lol
Still though, it'd be immensely interesting to see what they have to show in the Treehouse

Last edited:

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
We know Arc System works was happy with River City Girls, so much so apparently we are getting another one. Are there any other IPs Arc owns that would fit Wayforward?

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
My first thought with the new knowledge is a new Castlevania game.Konami has given the Silent Hill property to Wayforward before (though it wasn't very good), so the relationship is there. But River City Girls really shows us that Wayforward can make genres other than metroidvania/puzzle platformers, so it's a toss up. Still, the intrigue now makes it better since I have reserved expectations.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So, ok, not 1st party. Good to temper expectatiions, but I did think it might just be them wanting to show off a cool new franchise for switch. Still gotta wonder why WF is gonna be tehre :D

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
According to Arc's website.

They own
Kunio Kun (River City)
Double dragon.
Blaze blue
Guilty gear
Arcana heart
Under Night

Maybe a Double Dragon done in the RCG engine?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
According to Arc's website.

They own
Kunio Kun (River City)
Double dragon.
Blaze blue
Guilty gear
Arcana heart
Under Night

Maybe a Double Dragon done in the RCG engine?
They already did Double Dragon before, so it can't be that.

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with ArcSys, since we're already getting new RCG stuff.

So, ok, not 1st party. Good to temper expectatiions, but I did think it might just be them wanting to show off a cool new franchise for switch. Still gotta wonder why WF is gonna be tehre :D
We'll find out tomorrow, I guess. It's bleeding weird for NOA to let them randomly hijack a promo event for their only current announced first-party title. Takes quite a bit of clout for that to happen.

My first thought with the new knowledge is a new Castlevania game.Konami has given the Silent Hill property to Wayforward before (though it wasn't very good), so the relationship is there. But River City Girls really shows us that Wayforward can make genres other than metroidvania/puzzle platformers, so it's a toss up. Still, the intrigue now makes it better since I have reserved expectations.
Don't forget about Contra (which was good, but could use a rerelease for better field of vision).

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

zferolie

Smash Hero

I...uh...what? :drwtf:
Very interesting. So Nintendo feels confident in Wayforward to showcase a third party game off on the treehouse.

So it has to be Nintendo exclusive or first on nintendo I feel. It not being a first party game doesn't change how big this is for wayforward.

No Idea what it could be, but I feel its tied to Nintendo and is a revitalization of an old property. By tied to Nintendo I mean the series started on a Nintendo system, like NES or SNES.

I am not sure its another ArkSys game, but it could be. Part of me feels it could be another Capcom series. Wayforward did Redo the Ducktales game. Maybe its another old Capcom series. Ghost n Goblins?

Or could be a Namco or Konami series.

Honestly I think this could also show how close Wayforward has been getting with Japanese developers, and it shows Nintendo knows and is fine working with Wayforward. One big hurdle a lot of people say about shantae is because they are western it would be hard for Sakurai and team to communicate but this obviously is not the case

Dukefire

Smash Master
We will see what WF is bringing to the table at the treehouse tomorrow. Just don't expect too much since Paper Mario is the star for the broadcast.
Screenshot_20200514-102630_YouTube.jpg

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Very interesting. So Nintendo feels confident in Wayforward to showcase a third party game off on the treehouse.

So it has to be Nintendo exclusive or first on nintendo I feel. It not being a first party game doesn't change how big this is for wayforward.

No Idea what it could be, but I feel its tied to Nintendo and is a revitalization of an old property. By tied to Nintendo I mean the series started on a Nintendo system, like NES or SNES.

I am not sure its another ArkSys game, but it could be. Part of me feels it could be another Capcom series. Wayforward did Redo the Ducktales game. Maybe its another old Capcom series. Ghost n Goblins?

Or could be a Namco or Konami series.

Honestly I think this could also show how close Wayforward has been getting with Japanese developers, and it shows Nintendo knows and is fine working with Wayforward. One big hurdle a lot of people say about shantae is because they are western it would be hard for Sakurai and team to communicate but this obviously is not the case
Demon's Crest would be a hilarious full-circle case, making another Shantae game in all but name.

zferolie

Smash Hero
We will see what WF is bringing to the table at the treehouse tomorrow. Just don't expect too much since Paper Mario is the star for the broadcast.View attachment 277876
I mean we are getting gameplay too for whatever this game is, so it should be able to show a decent amount.

Demon's Crest would be a hilarious full-circle case, making another Shantae game in all but name.
Know what could be crazy? What if Wayforwards next game... is a new SOnic game? 3rd party they never worked with before and SOnic is super close to Nintendo now.

Top Bottom