• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I do hope that the classic may have some adjustments and possibly save states like the 3DS did. Also, here is a Shantae Artwork for Today.
Artist: gpwlghr123

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I do hope that the classic may have some adjustments and possibly save states like the 3DS did. Also, here is a Shantae Artwork for Today.
Artist: gpwlghr123
Spolier that man! Come on im trying to avoid the experiences i could see fresh

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Out of curiosity, did anything similar happen with any other character before they were revealed for Smash (I mean like games getting re-released)?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Man, this is pretty big for a couple of reasons. First, this means the Switch is now the only systems that can play all the Shantae games to date (all current gen consoles don't have the original and the 3DS stopped with Pirate's Curse)

Second, if it wasn't clear already, this cements that at least LRG is seeing good business with Shantae and WF in general as they have done so much with this franchise now. Far more than most the titles they publish.

Now, this doesn't mean Shantae for Smash is a sure thing, but it's certainly another feather in her already plumage rich hat. All her games will now be playable on the Switch and she is being promoted left and right by many different third party partners. Our girl has never been more relevant or hot than she currently is.

And side note, but in a recent video discussing Min Min, Ash from GameXplain has said that of all the current spirits, Shantae is the ones he wants/expects to get promoted should another spirit get promoted. Not that he has any say, just nice to see another person with a voice throwing some support to the plucky half-genie.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I know that Banjo had some official merch conspicuously get released, alongside the BK trademark renewal.
Yea Banjo got a couple bits of merch including a Totaku figure (which Shantae is getting as well). But hey, now that we have all of the Shantae games on the Switch that means that once she becomes playable everyone can experience all 5 games and get acclimated with her series.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm not saying Shantae is guaranteed for Smash, but damn it's hard to overlook when she is getting more brownie points left and right.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Limited Run Games and Wayforward really out there trying to get all the money out of my wallet...

It's working.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
So, the Nintendo console preferential treatment goes from early access to full access, huh?
Sure seems that way. I wonder why they changed their tune from multiplat to solely Switch. Hmmmm....
shantaeconspiracy.png

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
What is Nintendo's stance on "developer backed reproduction carts" on a legacy console like we are getting with GBC Shantae?
I'm not too familiar with the process of Licensing, especially for an older system. But does something like this need at least some acknowledgement from Nintendo?

I only know of 3 other examples of something like this happening, Through a website called "iam8bit", Capcom put out "MegaMan 2" and "Mega Man X", and Interplay put out "Earthworm Jim 1&2"

So Nintendo is at least marginally ok with it, but it still perplexes me.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well now, thats a ton of Shantae news for the switch. the first 2 games is great. Also some of their other works too. Always whated to try the mummy and sports game from them.

This would be quite awesome if it was leading to smash, as Wayforward is pushing her so hard before she appears in smash...

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
This probably just because Im on a massive One Piece kick right now, but the xurrent OP of it Over The Top to me fits how I view Shantae's drive to get into Smash.

Check the visuals to get what I mean.

Also let' be honest, One Piece and Shantae fit like cheese and meat.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Does anyone have a list of all 30 milestones?

I'm only seeing about half
They're already at Catgirl game from 2016, and thats the 16 milestone...I dont know how they'd even get to the 30 by 2020 currently.

Staarih

Smash Master
While all this attention is great, it’s pretty much only in the US. Shantae could be given a push in Europe and especially Japan, where these sort of things will be missed out on. Releasing Seven Sirens in Japan would be a logical next step (and is probably in the works already).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sure seems that way. I wonder why they changed their tune from multiplat to solely Switch. Hmmmm....
You know what the craziest part about all this is? Besides the possibility of Japan finally getting a physical version of the first game, WF had to have contacted Capcom at some point.

What is Nintendo's stance on "developer backed reproduction carts" on a legacy console like we are getting with GBC Shantae?
I'm not too familiar with the process of Licensing, especially for an older system. But does something like this need at least some acknowledgement from Nintendo?

I only know of 3 other examples of something like this happening, Through a website called "iam8bit", Capcom put out "MegaMan 2" and "Mega Man X", and Interplay put out "Earthworm Jim 1&2"

So Nintendo is at least marginally ok with it, but it still perplexes me.
It's fairly commonplace, since Irem got some older NES and SNES games and even Data East got its own SNES game collection this way (both from Retro-Bit).

I guess that as long as it's official, it's legal, assuming that you contact the original publisher. Otherwise, you have to deal with second-hand sellers who might be not as skilled at making carts and often put rom hacks or fan translations on them.

While all this attention is great, it’s pretty much only in the US. Shantae could be given a push in Europe and especially Japan, where these sort of things will be missed out on. Releasing Seven Sirens in Japan would be a logical next step (and is probably in the works already).
It's a good thing that the Switch is region-free though, so buyers importing wouldn't be too much trouble. I guess WF will have to continue their endless "special 20/30/50% off" sales to be able to afford selling elsewhere or even have a nearly 20-year old game localized, which isn't peanuts.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I have an idea for fanart if Shantae gets into Smash.

Shantae shares her wardrobe with the other girls

Peach, Bayonetta, Zelda, Wendy, Daisy, and Palutena all wear it in style. Bayonetta and Daisy even asks to get a pair for themselves.

Robin, Inkling, Corrin, Byleth and Leaf, are bit embarrassed

Wii Fit Trainer thinks its works great as an alternative exercise outfit

Lucina cant get the top to stay on

Min Min and Mii Gunner just enjoy it.

Shantae meanwhile is a goof and puts on ALL their clothes all at once layered on top of each other.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Why hello my favorite shantae people it sure has been a while i last saw you all.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I am freaking out over this news

Edit: That image I made earlier IS REALLY COMING IN HANDY RIGHT NOW

Last edited:

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, would never expect WayForward to show up in a Treehouse about Paper Mario...
WayForward sure are the kings of collaboration in my eyes... fingers crossed!
I don't know what to make of this myself, but it's gonna be fun, no doubts about that.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Here's my off the wall prediction.

Wayforward is developing a game using a Nintendo property.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

I doubt that one because of the way they say it, but who knows, after cadence, definitely possible. Why at the same time as paper mario tho :O

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Sadly, I am kinda doubting that this new game is a Shantae crossover like Cadence of Hyrule was for Necrodancer and Zelda due to the wording of the tweet. Still, WayForward is rising up if they are working with any Nintendo property.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I doubt that one because of the way they say it, but who knows, after cadence, definitely possible. Why at the same time as paper mario tho :O
Because there's no Direct right now and WF couldn't wait anymore?

To think that we were all completely off the mark about Shantae showing up in Nindies; she's an honorary Nintendo girl, darn it.

Sadly, I am kinda doubting that this new game is a Shantae crossover like Cadence of Hyrule was for Necrodancer and Zelda due to the wording of the tweet. Still, WayForward is rising up if they are working with any Nintendo property.
There aren't too many series that would fit their style. Unless....:ultwario:

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Switch Force X Paper Mario? :p
I doubt this is connected to Paper Mario specifically(Just seems like the best place to highlight something like this right now), but maybe there could be some tangential Mario connection? People in here have brought up how WayForward would do well with a Wario Land game.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

My dream is its a new Mischief Makers as theyve said they want to work with that IP before.

....But thats never happening.
sad cry anime.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom