• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

etnoika

Smash Cadet
I'm actually really curious as to what Shantae's Legend Spirit would be. The usual suspects would be Pirate Master or 7S's final Siren boss( or maybe all the Sirens at once?), but sometimes they do groups of characters or other special things for the Legend.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The past legends have either been final bosses with a legacy or individuals deeply connected to the fighter.

So I expect a group spirit of Sky, Bolo, Rottytops and Uncle Mimic called Friends To The End.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
The past legends have either been final bosses with a legacy or individuals deeply connected to the fighter.

So I expect a group spirit of Sky, Bolo, Rottytops and Uncle Mimic called Friends To The End.
My money is on the immediate friends or the half genie gang or their fusions. Followed by the Pirate Master, Empress Siren, or Nega Shantae.

I'm really not sure on who would be a legendary Spirit for Shantaes Spirit board. Pirate King yes, and maybe as a joke: Squid Baron as one?
I doubt they'd go for a joke. Branson would be sort of funny do nothing NPC but an understandable joke because of how the game painted him as some legendary hero with an epic 80's Saturday morning animation theme.

Last edited:

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
I feel like the Tinkerbats should be acknowledged somehow. They're kind of mascots in a sense.

Maybe have a spirit that upgrades into a Cacklebat.

Other than that, good list.
I was thinking a bunch of Diddy Kongs (they roughly have the same pose, hunched over and all) perhaps together with the Daisy from Risky's spirit. And then a small Ridley for a Cacklebat or something.

Thinking about spirits made me realize how easily Shantae overflows with potential.
A few ones that popped up while I was reading the past two pages:
Squid Baron as a giant red Kirby ofcourse, perhaps together with a Ganon or Zelda as Hypno Baron or something.
Twitch and Vinegar as a blond Inkling with a Ray Gun and a Samus or Peach with a Super Scope.
Bolo, Rotty and Sky as Richter, Peach/Daisy (prefers to pull turnips to reference Rotty's head toss) and B&K.
With so many characters to make spirit battles with, I think grouping them together could make some interesting fights as well as being able to include more characters through them.
I'd definitely say to make Shantae's friends the legendary spirit though.

However, I'm more curious to know if WayForward would pull an SNK on the music. "Ok, just take them all.".
I hope Jake Kaufman would do that, there's too much good stuff that adopts to a Smash setting really well.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I was thinking a bunch of Diddy Kongs (they roughly have the same pose, hunched over and all) perhaps together with the Daisy from Risky's spirit. And then a small Ridley for a Cacklebat or something.

Thinking about spirits made me realize how easily Shantae overflows with potential.
Squid Baron as a giant red Kirby ofcourse, perhaps together with a Ganon or Zelda as Hypno Baron or something.
Twitch and Vinegar as a blond Inkling with a Ray Gun and a Samus or Peach with a Super Scope.
Bolo, Rotty and Sky as Richter, Peach/Daisy (prefers to pull turnips to reference Rotty's head toss) and B&K.
With so many characters to make spirit battles with, I think grouping them together could make some interesting fights as well as being able to include more characters through them.

However, I'm more curious to know if WayForward would pull an SNK on the music. "Ok, just take them all.".
I hope Jake Kaufman would do that, there's too much good stuff that adopts to a Smash setting really well.
If we're talking spirits, I might as well share some ideas that I had.

Rottytops
Uses Zero Suit Samus as Fighter and Luigi's Mansion as her stage.
She has increased Move Speed and Jump Height, referencing her abilities from the first game.
If it can be done, I'd love for the Luigi's Mansion stage to be permanently in the state, where the mansion is completely destroyed.

Bolo
Richter as Fighter. Wuhu Island as stage, that is permanently set in the fountain area.
He has increased strength.
And one thing I'd love for this battle to have (I don't care how abusable it is), is for the Spirit to straight up do nothing, if you have chosen a female character.

Sky and Wrench
Sky could use several of the female characters as her fighter or Yoshi.
She is accompanied by a tiny Ridley, as an ally in battle.
Stage is either Gerudo Valley or Omega Mushroomy Kingdom.
The tiny Ridley randomly turns giant.

Tinkerbats
Horde of Mr. Game and Watch's, that are all equipped with Killing Edges.
And Bob Omb's are the only items that spawn.
Stage is Battlefield Brinstar Depths

Squid Baron
Inkling Boy on Omega Great Cave Offensive
He taunts constantly, can levitate in the air for a short time and tiny Inklings may spawn as reinforcements.
When he takes a lot of damage, he turns metal.

Ammo Baron
Snake as Fighter and Figure 8 Circuit as stage.
He is accompanied by a Giant ROB and a couple Snake's as ally's.
The opponent permanently has the Tanooki Tail, allowing them to float.

Twitch and Vinegar
Zero Suit Samus and female Mii Gunner as Fighters and Halberd as stage.
Only weapons spawn as items and are drawn towards them.
Plus, there is Wind, pushing you off.

Pirate Master
Ganondorf as Fighter and Stage is either Omega Find Mii, Omega Reset Bomb Forest or Omega Unova League.
He has increased power and speed.
If you beat him once, you have to beat him again, but this time he is giant and has increased defense.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

How can the Tinkerbats be anything but Mr. Game & Watches? He's got hammers just like they use to do repairs and Judge 9 Risky's memories out of existence, explosives and is technically a being of darkness like they are, going by Subspace Emissary lore.

Sky will probably be a Sheik accompanied by a small Falco. You can't really use other DLC characters for these kinds of things as players may not buy everything needed.

Last edited:

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
How can the Tinkerbats be anything but Mr. Game & Watches? He's got hammers just they use to do repairs and Judge 9 Risky's memories out of existence, explosives and is technically a being of darkness like they are, going by Subspace Emissary lore.

Sky will probably be a Sheik accompanied by a small Falco. You can't really use other DLC characters for these kinds of things as players may not buy everything needed.
Ah yeah, very good points. Those would indeed suit much better. ^.^

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Think, if Shantae gets in she can equip herself and basically power up her entire moveset.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I bet the NPC that only appeared for one game will appear in the background like how KoF did with the other fighters in the series. Now for Spirit selection, I bet they might select Shantae's most recent game like how Dragon Quest XI selected the spirit cast and a few past monster artworks.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hmmm... so Daisy is having some glitches... like Bayonetta and others... so maybe we will see another female is coming. and Diasy can fit Shantae's bodytype

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Hmmm... so Daisy is having some glitches... like Bayonetta and others... so maybe we will see another female is coming. and Diasy can fit Shantae's bodytype

That could fit since Daisy and Shantae's first debut was on the GBC and both live in a desert.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

I have officially ascended to stage two of the hype meter.
I have had no reason to get hype over the possibility of Shantae becoming playable other than personal speculation and some wishful thinking. But this? THIS?

CHOO CHOO BOYS I'M READY TO BE HURT AGAIN

nintendohypetrain.jpg

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Pirates, temporary or otherwise, do tend to do that. :ultkrool:
Except Smash is very strict about what counts as magic. Expect only fireballs to be enhanced, if that.

Zelda will likely always be the best beneficiary of that spirit.
Does anyone have a "It's all connected!" drawing for Shantae? Because this would be a good time to have one right about now.
I'd prefer the Kronk "Oh yeah, it's all coming together" meme considering how long the Daisy mural booty bump was speculated.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Just a reminder to keep expectations reigned in. The glitch with Daisy's dress seems to be more about fabric physics rather than Daisy herself. Daisy just happens to trigger it better than others. Now this could relate to Shantae either for movement with her long ponytail of possibly extra wavy harem pants, but it could also be for characters with capes, cloaks, dresses, a flag... What have you.

Still, the other parts of her glitches seem to be unique to her, so who knows.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Just a reminder to keep expectations reigned in. The glitch with Daisy's dress seems to be more about fabric physics rather than Daisy herself. Daisy just happens to trigger it better than others. Now this could relate to Shantae either for movement with her long ponytail of possibly extra wavy harem pants, but it could also be for characters with capes, cloaks, dresses, a flag... What have you.

Still, the other parts of her glitches seem to be unique to her, so who knows.
If it helps, I was partially convinced the Bayonetta glitch would amount to Dante (somehow). :ultminmin

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
If it helps, I was partially convinced the Bayonetta glitch would amount to Dante (somehow). :ultminmin
I think Falcon being used as a base for Min Min proves that you can only be so accurate about this stuff. Depending on how tight or lose the base inspiration is, almost anyone could be used to build anyone else.

It's gonna be fun to see where all of this goes.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Actually, there is a thing I had just realized. What if this was 2B?
While I'd love to believe that this could point towards Shantae, it is by no coincidence that the dress is above Daisy's knees. I know the whole "Good Boys and Girls" meme sort of makes "sexier" Smash fighters unlikely, but still, food for thought.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The loophole that 2B would rely on (guest cameo in Phantasy Star Online 2 on Switch, yet to be exported) is so strenuous that I'd be surprised if Automata was ported to Switch by the time an announcement happened.

Ergo, I'll go back to my "it could be any girl" stance I already took before the initial ARMS reveal. Except the other ones from ARMS.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Hmmmm... a girl with some clothing that doesn't go past her knees and has something on the top of her head (the crown shadow glitch)....
PWMaya.png

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
The Smash Bros community seems to be in turmoil and cancel culture rolling in full force.
Stay more positive and less hateful. ;)

Dukefire

Smash Master
The community is always stirring drama, so we are trying hard to ignore regarding the angry eyes on preventing certain characters joining before theirs.
Screenshot_20200704-203949_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

So, seeing how much deep cuts movesets can get these days, I guess the special attacks from the first game could be used as normal attacks for Smash.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

So, seeing how much deep cuts movesets can get these days, I guess the special attacks from the first game could be used as normal attacks for Smash.
It's easy to forget with her main transformation mechanic, but human Shantae is the most versatile and moveset rich form of them all. And while I don't think the animal forms have enough to be fully-fledged in Smash, it would also be a disservice to cram these forms in a regular moveset and ignore what the human is capable of. Hence why I suggest a mostly human-based moveset as the base while dances serve to temporarily alter or enhance aspects of it.

I see the cuff and tiara combo as a two-part forward smash, sash will probably be redirected upwards as an up aerial and the boot can be an unusual up tilt that ends with Shantae in the air, with nair being the somersault follow up.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
So let's place some bets. Since a lot of people think a direct is coming in July, when do you think the next Nintendo Direct will be? I'm thinking July 16th sounds like a good date. I think it'll be another mini direct though, and mostly focusing on first party stuff since Nintendo was telling their partners to hold off on third party announcements until September if possible.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So let's place some bets. Since a lot of people think a direct is coming in July, when do you think the next Nintendo Direct will be? I'm thinking July 16th sounds like a good date. I think it'll be another mini direct though, and mostly focusing on first party stuff since Nintendo was telling their partners to hold off on third party announcements until September if possible.
Uhh its gonna be the seventh and Shantae reveal for Smash obviously.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, fate-tempting time. It'll be September 2020. Go ahead and prove me wrong, universe.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
We just got Min Min 3 weeks ago, so I bet that the next Smash Newcomer won't appear until August or September.
Screenshot_20200622-094029_YouTube.jpg

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
We just got Min Min 3 weeks ago, so I bet that the next Smash Newcomer won't appear until August or September.View attachment 277431
The trailer was recorded around May. By that point, most of what Min Min had would have already been implemented. Assuming this to be the case, they likely started development of the other six at around December-January to make sure Byleth was at enough polish to show off in the Direct. Not only this, but they'd need to have the maps already polished as well. So if we were to postulate about the progress bar, Fighter 7, whatever they may be, seems to be getting nearing polished beta/rough final development, likely owing to a higher interest or higher work demand. And we were to expect three-four months, we'd see them likely by late September or early October. Though why use March for just saying that the ARMS fighter was coming in? It's likely a buffer zone to give Min-Min the proper polished beta/rough final development and possibly allowing Fighter 7 progression towards the rough beta stage. It can also allow a developer buffer for other companies, whether SquareEnix or WayForward, more time to finalize plans with Sora Ltd.

The wild card could be a double reveal, ala the Bayonetta-Corrin reveal from back in December 2015, or a shorter single reveal ala the Lucas-Ryu reveal only being between roughly two months and two weeks separate.

As for whom I would guess based on this? I have a few guesses:
-Shantae (mainly to refine whip mechanics, possibly also give her some transformations, possible map and possible Kaufman if he's available)
-Geno (finalize plans with SE to bring him into Smash Ult proper, possible map and possible Mario RPG related remixes)
-A Platinum Games Rep, whatever they may be (Likely to follow the Geno example)
-A Sonic Rep (again)
-A Retro Game Rep (Because honestly, it wouldn't be Sakurai if he didn't bring up an obscure character from the NES/SNES/Genesis times)
-A Bethesda Rep (With Vault Boy, it's entirely possible they have a proper game character to bring in, whether it'd be an Elder Scrolls or DOOM rep)

As for "fanrules", only ones that seem to hold some water is the Assist Trophy and Costume rules, though these can easily change. Technically, Costume's defunct due to the Chrom, Isabelle, and other costumes.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
For now, it can be anyone's guess with so little attention people are thinking about for challenger 7 and possible 8.

If it does appear, then the next fight for the invite will begin until challenger 7 reveal.
Screenshot_20200704-113936_Video Player.jpg

Top Bottom