• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Time to post more Fan Art

There was a problem fetching the tweet

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
Time to post more Fan Art

Those parody works are really nice. I used to do stuff like that all the time for Steven Universe stuff back when that show was really big. Makes sense it'd work really well for Shantae stuff since it also fits that rather minimalist cartoon style with flat 2-3 tone shading which makes it really easy to match it to other styles and works.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Here some more evidence of Spirits not deconfirming characters. Also, Min Min is a twist for me to get used to. So I won't expect myself playing her online.......at least not yet.
20200629_203651.jpg

zferolie

Smash Hero
Here some more evidence of Spirits not deconfirming characters. Also, Min Min is a twist for me to get used to. So I won't expect myself playing her online.......at least not yet.
that is a cool fighter spirit, and shows exactly what will happen if more spirits get promoted

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Does her spirit battle change? Is it her now or is it still Corrin?
It's still Corrin.
And you can fight Spirit Min Min with Fighter Min Min. You can also equip the spirit's fighter counterpart too!

:ultcorrinf:: "How... can this...?"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You have to love how people once thought this very thing was impossible. "Oh no that wouldn't make sense!" "B-but what about this or that?"

Again I'm glad that fan rule is finally dead. Min Min has done us all a favor.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Did they implement the changed spirit fights yet? I thought they said they will gradually change them?
I read on the ssbwiki that Ninjara’s fight involves his Mii Costume if purchased.

Perhaps it only applies to the newest wave of costumes?
Disclaimer: I haven’t bought the Wave 6 costumes yet.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I honestly haven't bought any Mii costumes yet. I was just curious if they did changed them. Thanks for the heads up.
I don't know. I bought both Squid Sisters outfits, and their fight is unchanged.

Whoops thought this was a different thread. I'm outta here on account of my.. "reputation" here. PEACE!

Last edited:

etnoika

Smash Cadet
Huh, is that original art they did for Min Min's Fighter Spirit? Now I'm wondering if all of the promoted Spirits might get new art. I wonder what Shantae's would look like.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
You have to love how people once thought this very thing was impossible. "Oh no that wouldn't make sense!" "B-but what about this or that?"

Again I'm glad that fan rule is finally dead. Min Min has done us all a favor.
And yet you can have multiple Mario's, Fox's, etc. fighting with or against each other.
Or Chrom being character, another character's Final Smash and a MII Costume all at the same time.

Selective memory is hilarious sometimes...

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Huh, is that original art they did for Min Min's Fighter Spirit? Now I'm wondering if all of the promoted Spirits might get new art. I wonder what Shantae's would look like.
It's pre-existing artwork: https://nintendowire.com/news/2017/04/21/new-arms-art-showcases-lovable-minmin/

If they needed new art for a character, they could make new art, or they could just use the Smash render for their fighter spirit like they already do with Cloud, the Pokemon Trainers, the Wii Fit Trainers, and Robin.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Well, artwork for Shantae would likely be our smallest problem, as there's tons to pull from (outside of the one in Smash already).

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I'm just sitting over here waiting for someone to find the "glitch" that points to another new character.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
What was that about an email of a Nintendo survey for Seven sirens recently?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's still Corrin.
And you can fight Spirit Min Min with Fighter Min Min. You can also equip the spirit's fighter counterpart too!

:ultcorrinf:: "How... can this...?"
:ultkrool:: "You'll get used to it."

I'm just sitting over here waiting for someone to find the "glitch" that points to another new character.
Besides the Ness one that was reported over a week ago?

And yet you can have multiple Mario's, Fox's, etc. fighting with or against each other.
Or Chrom being character, another character's Final Smash and a MII Costume all at the same time.

Selective memory is hilarious sometimes...
Too lazy to do research, too. Even within the game itself.

Last edited:

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Well, artwork for Shantae would likely be our smallest problem, as there's tons to pull from (outside of the one in Smash already).
If we can use her 1/2 Genie Hero outfit, perhaps we can use the one from Seven Sirens.

BTW, If Nintendo chose Banjo over Steve (a character more famous to the general audience) for the Fighter's Pass
and Min Min is a fighter despite already being a spirit,
anything can happen. The future of Smash can be quite unpredictable.

Last edited:

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
If we can use her 1/2 Genie Hero outfit, perhaps we can use the one from Seven Sirens.

BTW, If Nintendo chose Banjo over Steve (a character more famous to the general audience) for the Fighter's Pass
and Min Min is a fighter despite already being a spirit,
anything can happen. The future of Smash can be quite unpredictable.
Maybe Seven Sirens, but I think it would better for Smash to either utilize one of the older Shantae designs for reference or just amalgamate them altogether.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Look at that rise in Chance and Want

Shantae
24.16% Chance - 58.73% Want
First time we rated her she got 7.17% chance and 48.96% want. This was before release (but after the final Direct, obviously), and so her Spirit was seen as a killing blow. Second time we rated her she got 10.25% chance and 44.94% want. This was after E3, and while many had warmed to the possibility of Spirit promotions by then, the indie status still hurt all the contenders. Last time we rated her she got 10.89% chance and 54.28% want. This was after Byleth, but more importantly to Shantae after Sans and Cuphead got in... as Mii Costumes - clearly the competition being out of the way was offset by the perception of a ceiling for indies. As for now? Spirits being on the table did wonders for her chances, or at least her dedicated fanbase's confidence in them. Want is constant, which shows there's an undying support for this half-genie.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Maybe Seven Sirens, but I think it would better for Smash to either utilize one of the older Shantae designs for reference or just amalgamate them altogether.
While bits and pieces from older designs are possible, the thing is no matter what you do with her, she is going to more closely ressemble her modern appearances if her model is going to even remotely take after the sprites. A really tall and skinny Shantae would quite jarring coming from the petite sprites we have been seeing until now.

Expect the Seven Sirens Shatae title art, which is accurate and depicts her in a battle-ready pose fitting for a fighter, and maybe an extra Pirate's Curse one if they throw in the pirate getup as an alt.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
While bits and pieces from older designs are possible, the thing is no matter what you do with her, she is going to more closely ressemble her modern appearances if her model is going to even remotely take after the sprites. A really tall and skinny Shantae would quite jarring coming from the petite sprites we have been seeing until now.

Expect the Seven Sirens Shantae title art, which is accurate and depicts her in a battle-ready pose fitting for a fighter, and maybe an extra Pirate's Curse one if they throw in the pirate getup as an alt.
I meant "as a reference" so to speak.

The model and render would no doubt look original on it's own given Shantae has never had an official 3D appearance.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Expect the Seven Sirens Shatae title art, which is accurate and depicts her in a battle-ready pose fitting for a fighter, and maybe an extra Pirate's Curse one if they throw in the pirate getup as an alt.
I meant "as a reference" so to speak.

The model and render would no doubt look original on it's own given Shantae has never had an official 3D appearance.
Regardless what they'll do, something will be off about her somehow. Even when :ultbanjokazooie: got in, Banjo was noted to have glassy eyes (arguably to reflect their classic 3D renders). It doesn't help that the main artwork of Shantae changes every game.

It's a rather unique issue, considering how other fanbases generally agree about how their character might look in Smash.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
It's been a while since anyone thought up a Classic Mode Route for her. Here's my idea:

Title: RET-2-GO!
Theme: You'll face opponents that can transform themselves during battle. Only the Smash Ball and items under the Transforming category will appear.

1. :ultinkling::ultinklingboy:(Moray Towers)
2.:ultlittlemac::ultwario::ultsonic:(Boxing Ring)
3. :ultpacman::ultgnw::ultkirby:(Pac-Land)
4. :ultzss::ultcorrin:(Brinstar Depths)
5. :ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultgreninja:(Pokemon Stadium 2)
6. :ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultganondorf:(Mushroom Kingdom U)
7. Bonus Stage
8. Dracula (Boss)

EDIT: Dracula makes more sense than Marx, plus some can't transform without the Smashball.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think Shantae's Spirit board should have:

Risky
Rotty Tops
Sky
Bolo
Uncle Mimic
Squid Baron
Ammo Baron
Hypno Baron
Techno Baron
Armor Baron
Pirate Master
Empress Siren
Seven Sirens

Staarih

Smash Master
Yeah, all main characters should get in as spirits, not sure if all the barons are necessary though (Squid Baron is a must though as he is iconic and legendary). Contemplating whether Giga Mermaid should be a spirit, as she is popular, but perhaps for the wrong reasons lol. I think some of Shantae’s transformations could make separate spirits as well, at least those that (likely) would appear in her moveset.

Last edited:

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
I think Shantae's Spirit board should have:

Risky
Rotty Tops
Sky
Bolo
Uncle Mimic
Squid Baron
Ammo Baron
Hypno Baron
Techno Baron
Armor Baron
Pirate Master
Empress Siren
Seven Sirens
I feel like the Tinkerbats should be acknowledged somehow. They're kind of mascots in a sense.

Maybe have a spirit that upgrades into a Cacklebat.

Other than that, good list.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I wonder if Wayforward could get away with pulling an SNK and add in spirits from their other franchises like Mighty Switch Force?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wonder if Wayforward could get away with pulling an SNK and add in spirits from their other franchises like Mighty Switch Force?
Having so few original IPs to start with, they can very easily do so. It'd also be a nice way to acknowledge the games whose porting future is currently uncertain (e.g. Xtreme Sports, Mighty Flip Champs and Milky Way).

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Having so few original IPs to start with, they can very easily do so. It'd also be a nice way to acknowledge the games whose porting future is currently uncertain (e.g. Xtreme Sports, Mighty Flip Champs and Milky Way).
I maintain my idea of her Final Smash randomly summoning her friends or groups of miscellaneous Wayforward stars to pummel the opponent. You could have a Mighty group, for example.

MattX20

Smash Hero
With only 25 pages left to go before page 1000, even if Shantae doesn't get in the second Fighter Pass, at least she will be in a great spot with 1000+ pages total

Top Bottom