• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

zferolie

Smash Hero
That final boss was really fun. I was a little disappointed with a few of the bosses since they went down super easy once I figured them out, but that's kinda my fault for having purchased everything by the third boss. The Empress Siren actually was pretty tough though, if only because it took a million hits for both phases.
I feel like I cheesed that boss a bit. Mirror shield was such a godsent, as well as scimatars with the upgradded damage.

Now, want to propose a question. We know Sakurai has been privy to early builds of games not out yet, to let him play and help him design a moveset. If shantae is added as DLC, think Matt and Erin sent him an early build of the Seven Sirens? There are a few things I think would be fun to add from this game into Shantae's Moveset. For example, If Sakurai Decides to make Shantae a mix of animal transformations, and Magic attacks, some of the transformations in this game could work well. Well, 2 in particular. The Turtle for a dash attack, and
Squid for a double jump. BTW, who else found squid to be the most adorable thing ever?
He could even take the idea of fast transformations for older forms, like Down Air being the elepant slam, and front air being a harpy talon swipe. I think her Down B would be Dance, but it would do different Dance fusions/spells.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That final boss was really fun. I was a little disappointed with a few of the bosses since they went down super easy once I figured them out, but that's kinda my fault for having purchased everything by the third boss. The Empress Siren actually was pretty tough though, if only because it took a million hits for both phases.
That final battle reminded me a bit of Pirate Master, but with more booty.

Yes, I went there. Someone had to do it. Embarrass

Now, want to propose a question. We know Sakurai has been privy to early builds of games not out yet, to let him play and help him design a moveset. If shantae is added as DLC, think Matt and Erin sent him an early build of the Seven Sirens? There are a few things I think would be fun to add from this game into Shantae's Moveset. For example, If Sakurai Decides to make Shantae a mix of animal transformations, and Magic attacks, some of the transformations in this game could work well. Well, 2 in particular. The Turtle for a dash attack, and
Squid for a double jump. BTW, who else found squid to be the most adorable thing ever?
He could even take the idea of fast transformations for older forms, like Down Air being the elepant slam, and front air being a harpy talon swipe. I think her Down B would be Dance, but it would do different Dance fusions/spells.
That depends. The topic of Shantae supposedly getting a copyright renewal in 2015 was brought up earlier, if that's true then it could impact whether there was enough time to have an early build sent to Sak.

zferolie

Smash Hero
That final battle reminded me a bit of Pirate Master, but with more booty.

Yes, I went there. Someone had to do it. Embarrass

That depends. The topic of Shantae supposedly getting a copyright renewal in 2015 was brought up earlier, if that's true then it could impact whether there was enough time to have an early build sent to Sak.
Its hard to say if that copyright was meant for her as playable in smash. could have just beeen to allow her spirit.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Sakurai could use the fast transformation in Half Genie Hero and Seven Sirens since it can be adjust with the chaotic atmosphere of Smash.

Though, she could be programmed based on Hero and Zelda for base design and using Pokémon trainer's swap as a templete for transformation.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Its hard to say if that copyright was meant for her as playable in smash. could have just beeen to allow her spirit.
Or just to keep ownership of the series, despite the fact that Pirate's Curse released one year earlier (although WF isn't made of money, understandably enough), or to have enough credibility to set up the kickstarter for HGH.

It really is a clueless mystery, isn't it.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I feel like I cheesed that boss a bit. Mirror shield was such a godsent, as well as scimatars with the upgradded damage.

The last fusion is an octopus, not a squid.

None of the fusion dances seem like good material for a core moveset, due to being mainly full-screen attacks. Instead the dances could be used to change which instant transformations are being used at any given moment.

Think the newt dash as a side special, replaced by an enhanced Monkey Bullet with the appropriate dance in addition to faster dashing.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
The last fusion is an octopus, not a squid.

None of the fusion dances seem like good material for a core moveset, due to being mainly full-screen attacks. Instead the dances could be used to change which instant transformations are being used at any given moment.

Think the newt dash as a side special, replaced by an enhanced Monkey Bullet with the appropriate dance in addition to faster dashing.
Hmmm, interesting. So maybe like a return of custom special moves from the last game? But then, you have 1 special to change your other 3 specials, so like a stanbce swaper but only effecting your specials? I think some A moves could be good as transformation attacks honestly, and some B specials as Magic attacks. Pike Ball should be in her set somehow, either Down B or B.

Don't worry, I'll probably change it back to Rotty soon enough.
Cool, wonder which you will choose.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I bought Seven Sirens yesterday for my birthday and I'm halfway through the game. I'm having a blast with it so far. I had one thought while I was playing it that, if she were to get into Smash, one or two things from the game can be used in her moveset.
Picture the tortoise (the third transformation unlocked in Seven Sirens) doing a belly flop as a down smash, like King K. Rool's and Incineroar's.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Hmmm, interesting. So maybe like a return of custom special moves from the last game? But then, you have 1 special to change your other 3 specials, so like a stanbce swaper but only effecting your specials? I think some A moves could be good as transformation attacks honestly, and some B specials as Magic attacks. Pike Ball should be in her set somehow, either Down B or B.
Oh, it goes beyond just specials changing. Some would affect movement attributes like the monkey affecting dashing, or Harpy granting more jumps and maybe faster but slippery air movement, and an improved up special with different aerials.

The Octo fusion might also serve as the standard up special.

To round out the set of classic transformations, elephant would be an attack-focused one changing a number of normals, smashes in particular to hard-hitting versions, and the spider would be a grappler with a web tether and powerful throws.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Oh, it goes beyond just specials changing. Some would affect movement attributes like the monkey affecting dashing, or Harpy granting more jumps and maybe faster but slippery air movement, and an improved up special with different aerials.

The Octo fusion might also serve as the standard up special.

To round out the set of classic transformations, elephant would be an attack-focused one changing a number of normals, smashes in particular to hard-hitting versions, and the spider would be a grappler with a web tether and powerful throws.
Ok, i can see that being interesting. You dance to change the properties of a bunch of your attacks to be more focused one 1 animal then another. could be very unique, and different from Shulk you just makes his stats different.

I can see certain forms being always tied to certain actions. Like Spider will always be your grab transformation, or when you are in any stage with water you become the mermaid.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Ok, i can see that being interesting. You dance to change the properties of a bunch of your attacks to be more focused one 1 animal then another. could be very unique, and different from Shulk you just makes his stats different.

I can see certain forms being always tied to certain actions. Like Spider will always be your grab transformation, or when you are in any stage with water you become the mermaid.
Well, I doubt so. Most stages with water have it as a Bottomless pit, so she won't turn into a Mermaid in that aspect. Similarly, Mermaid makes her immune to drowning, whereas even the Water Pokemon eventually drown in Smash Ult. So no, there's no transformations necessary with water interaction.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Best to leave the mermaid form out since she can't do much with its lacking mobility out of water regarding the bubble attack.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, I doubt so. Most stages with water have it as a Bottomless pit, so she won't turn into a Mermaid in that aspect. Similarly, Mermaid makes her immune to drowning, whereas even the Water Pokemon eventually drown in Smash Ult. So no, there's no transformations necessary with water interaction.
Technically I don't think even human Shantae can drown in gameplay if you were to get her stuck under some terrain. But the point still stands.

zferolie zferolie I have wondered between just using normal human grabs or using the original tiny spider before upgrading to the Half-Genie Hero arachne. In the end the former might be simpler and funnier if done right. Upgraded throws would include the Boneleg anti-air slash and horking venom in their faces for damage over time.

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Anyone know what you're supposed to do finding a lost scientist? There seems to be a block in the way I can't get around that's preventing me from reaching the room. This is after fighting the 4th Siren. Am I supposed to find the fusion stone for Harmony first? 'Cause I've been swimming everywhere and found nada.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Anyone know what you're supposed to do finding a lost scientist? There seems to be a block in the way I can't get around that's preventing me from reaching the room. This is after fighting the 4th Siren. Am I supposed to find the fusion stone for Harmony first? 'Cause I've been swimming everywhere and found nada.
you need the Harmony fusion before reaching the scientist. The ghost elder tells you where to find it right after the 4th dungeon, and following along with that conversation leads you to the fusion stone.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
you need the Harmony fusion before reaching the scientist. The ghost elder tells you where to find it right after the 4th dungeon, and following along with that conversation leads you to the fusion stone.
Except everywhere is kinda the seafloor though when I'm swimming bottom of the map but nowhere I'm finding is taking me deeper.

Edit: Ok so the room with the 3 platforms next door to that one warp room had a bottom I can fall into. This whole time I thought it would kill me! It was a complete fluke I even found this place.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Except everywhere is kinda the seafloor though when I'm swimming bottom of the map but nowhere I'm finding is taking me deeper.

Edit: Ok so the room with the 3 platforms next door to that one warp room had a bottom I can fall into. This whole time I thought it would kill me! It was a complete fluke I even found this place.
Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I could have sworn the map was marked with that location for me so I knew where to go. Also, Shantae is known for always letting you know when pits are bottomless or not: they have little skulls floating above them. If they don't, it's safe to fall.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I think we can add this to the list of potential Final Smashes for Shantae.
Quake Dance
1591008003542.png

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I could have sworn the map was marked with that location for me so I knew where to go. Also, Shantae is known for always letting you know when pits are bottomless or not: they have little skulls floating above them. If they don't, it's safe to fall.
Weird. Didn't see the dot on my end O_o

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Technically I don't think even human Shantae can drown in gameplay if you were to get her stuck under some terrain. But the point still stands.

zferolie zferolie I have wondered between just using normal human grabs or using the original tiny spider before upgrading to the Half-Genie Hero arachne. In the end the former might be simpler and funnier if done right. Upgraded throws would include the Boneleg anti-air slash and horking venom in their faces for damage over time.
Yeah pretty much that. Human shantae cant drown, so it was more for flavor that she becomes a mermaid, even if she still can sink.

I just think her using her transformations as much as possible will keep her looking as unique as possible.

Now. This was just posted, not sure if you guys saw yet. The results so far of a big fan poll.

Shantae is in 7th, above even geno! Surprised to see steve so high though, i wonder if those are legit votes or not haha

MattX20

Smash Hero
Beat Seven Sirens over the weekend. I enjoyed it, probably my second favorite game of the series; ahead of Half Genie Hero, but behind Pirates' Curse.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>fan-made ballots
>something impactful
Pick one, please.

Also, how on Earth did a Jet Set Radio character (other than Beat, no less) get enough votes to get on there?

Best to leave the mermaid form out since she can't do much with its lacking mobility out of water regarding the bubble attack.
I mean, we can't even get Primarina, let alone this.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, June is here. Now to play the waiting game for the announcement.

I guess it may appear second or third week.

Also, Pokémon SWSH is getting news update of the Isle of Armor tomorrow.

zferolie

Smash Hero
>fan-made ballots
>something impactful
Pick one, please.

Also, how on Earth did a Jet Set Radio character (other than Beat, no less) get enough votes to get on there?

I mean, we can't even get Primarina, let alone this.
I knownits a fan made poll that means honestly nothing, but still nice to see her high up.

Man i love Inceniroar, but i would have prefered Primarina. She was my fav starter that gen. Gardevoir is my most wanted pokemon atm, and cynthia my most wanted character, but primarina would be super unique.

Well, June is here. Now to play the waiting game for the announcement.

I guess it may appear second or third week.

Also, Pokémon SWSH is getting news update of the Isle of Armor tomorrow.
Hopefully we dont have to wait long for smash news. I feel pokemon is this weeks planned nintendo news, so probably wont see smash news till next week at the earliest.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I knownits a fan made poll that means honestly nothing, but still nice to see her high up.

Man i love Inceniroar, but i would have prefered Primarina. She was my fav starter that gen. Gardevoir is my most wanted pokemon atm, and cynthia my most wanted character, but primarina would be super unique.

Hopefully we dont have to wait long for smash news. I feel pokemon is this weeks planned nintendo news, so probably wont see smash news till next week at the earliest.
If there are no news this week, I figure that we should hear about a spirit event or tournament sometime around Wednesday. Besides, the reveal would get drowned out by the buzz over the PS5's initial planned lineup anyways.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Man, anyone know how long until Seven Sirens physical copies get sent out? Cause the whole page is nothing but spoilers at this point.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Man, anyone know how long until Seven Sirens physical copies get sent out? Cause the whole page is nothing but spoilers at this point.
I don't know about when Amazon is sending them out though. I pre ordered two copies of the Collector's Edition on Limited Run and those should probably take a couple of months before there shipped. Other places for the regular release though it should take less than a week.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
It's best to double dip imo. It took forever for me to get my RCG physical copy from them.

Also speaking of fan polls, I wonder how the SourceGaming one is coming along? They're working on tallying it up I heard so it'll be interesting to see what people want in the community for FP2.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Hey everyone! What have I missed?
Well, nothing too much in terms of speculation. Newest Shantae game came out and we're thinking about new stuff that could become part of Shantae's move set. No leaks or anything either so we're just waiting until the ARMS character gets released.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hey everyone! What have I missed?
Not much that you probably haven't heard:

- Funco Pop Shantae getting released.

- Totaku Shantae figure in the works.

- Seven Sirens getting released.

Aside from that, there isn't much. But yeah, it would be cool if you did a video about where WayForward got all this money to develop and produce Seven Sirens without Patreon or Kickstarter funding. Plus them advertising Seven Sirens in Japanese threaters as well as putting out so much Shantae merchandise. Where is all this money coming from? Maybe Nintendo is giving them a hand in making the Shantae brand bigger because Nintendo agreed to put Shantae into Smash as DLC perhaps. I believe if she is actually in she would get a huge push from the Big N and not just from WayForward themselves.

Last edited:

WreckitRyan

Smash Apprentice
Aside from that, there isn't much. But yeah, it would be cool if you did a video about where WayForward got all this money to develop and produce Seven Sirens without Patreon or Kickstarter funding. Plus them advertising Seven Sirens in Japanese threaters as well as putting out so much Shantae merchandise. Where is all this money coming from? Maybe Nintendo is giving them a hand in making the Shantae brand bigger because Nintendo agreed to put Shantae into Smash as DLC perhaps. I believe if she is actually in she would get a huge push from the Big N and not just from WayForward themselves.
That's what I was wondering too. Don't forget the Fangamer Shantae plush too! I'm reminded of Banjo & Kazooie getting a big merchandise push a few months before their Smash announcement too, and by some of the same merch companies. Hmm maybe I will pull out the analysis machine for another speculation video. :laugh:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Not much that you probably haven't heard:

- Funco Pop Shantae getting released.

- Totaku Shantae figure in the works.

- Seven Sirens getting released.

I think they got a bunch of extra funding from Apple by making Seven Sirens a timed exclusive to ApplePlay. Don't think that would have accounted for all of it though.

Top Bottom