• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Something interesting for off topic a bit, but the Mother series is getting an official collaboration Manga.
Fun Fact: Toby Fox is taking part of the collab.
Oh yeah I saw that. It's nice that a completed series like Mother can still get something 14 years after it finished.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Something that occurred to me just recently: Xenoblade 1's definitive edition might dwarf SSS in attention, since it releases the day right after that.

Oh, and the countdown (?) continues with Vera.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Something that occurred to me just recently: Xenoblade 1's definitive edition might dwarf SSS in attention, since it releases the day right after that.

Yeah, it definitely won't help. I know I'll be putting off Xenoblade for a week to play Shantae though, since it not only would take longer to get a physical copy of Xenoblade but I'll also have the rest of June to play through Xenoblade before Paper Mario releases. I can dedicate a week or so to Shantae.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Don't forget everyone's attention with the ARMS rep coming in June and potential Challenger 7.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Is Xenoblade also releasing on the Playstation, Xbox and Steam?

Some competition is always to be expected, but on a console with a library like the Switch's I don't really see cannibalizing happening. These two games are very different, including their price points.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Is Xenoblade also releasing on the Playstation, Xbox and Steam?

Some competition is always to be expected, but on a console with a library like the Switch's I don't really see cannibalizing happening. These two games are very different, including their price points.
If that's not a rhetorical question, Xenoblade is a Switch exclusive.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Thing is, Shantae is mainly seen as a property that originated on Nintendo hardware, its multi-plat status is relatively recent (by a few years, give or take).

Besides, even if that doesn't factor into preventing optimal sales, many other small games regularly are released on Playstation, Xbox and Steam, yet are pretty niche compared to AAA titles. Whatever future announcements that are coming on those platforms might dwarf those smaller games as well.

Not to mention that Atsushi Inaba of Platinum recently stated that Switch will remain the heavy hitter for the next few years in his eyes:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ware_will_be_as_ground-breaking_as_the_switch

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Looking back, Smash 4's requests and Pirate's Curse was where Shantae was starting to get her groove to more people's attention.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
From Humble Beginnings in 2002 GBC towards her fifth installment coming in 6 days for the switch.

etnoika

Smash Cadet
I'm kinda mad, I preordered the physical Switch version from LRG as soon as it came out but I completely forgot about the whole delay due to the finalized version thing DX. Now I'm wondering if I should buy the digital version as well. Maybe I'll get it on PC.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Hey guys, sorry I haven’t really visited much lately. How have things been going around here? Anything interesting been going on concerning Seven Sirens or Shantae in general?
Wayforward is showing up at a digital event on June 23rd alongside a bunch of Japanese devs. Other than that we've just been getting hyped for Seven Sirens next week.

Dukefire

Smash Master
The only stuff we do know is from Part 1 content of the Apple release for the game months ago.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
You're lucky to have time pass fast, I'm the only one in the family to not have a job right now (although I got unemployment funding).

Also, I'm the only one here (besides SoupCanMafia SoupCanMafia ) to know spoilers, but I can't say a peep until the 28th.
Just please keep it all in spoiler tags. All of us who bought the physical edition are still going to have to wait quite a while before we can play the game.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Here's my predictions based on current info, "leaks", rumors, and my own judgement.

Min Min
Shantae
Rex & Pyra
Rayman
Crash
Geno

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Here's my predictions based on current info, "leaks", rumors, and my own judgement.

Min Min
Shantae
Rex & Pyra
Rayman
Crash
Geno
I would be quite happy if that's how it turned out. Not supers excited for ARMS, but Min Min would be my preferred of the roster. Rex and Pyra don't excite me much, but i totally understand why people want them and with the ARMS inclusion I can see the argument of them deserving it. Rayman... I've never cared for him, but I don't dislike him enough for it to ruin buying the full pack. Crash I like quite a bit, tho if he gets in I really hope Coco is a costume swap, since the current games treat her as a player two type who can do anything he can. And Geno, I would really like to see: For his fans, for his history with smash and simply because I think he would be neat.

zferolie

Smash Hero
seriously, what "leaks"? Something new happened? I mean the only thing I heard about rayman is that some copyrights have been renewed which could mean anything. Geno mostly is from Fatman, rex and pyra feels pretty likely, and crash people really want. Shantae news somewhere?

Honestly while I like that list it seems a bit more wishy. I would think its a good list, but still.

Also, I know fatman has been saying bonus characters for awhile, and I still think that is likely.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Also, I know fatman has been saying bonus characters for awhile, and I still think that is likely.
The way that Sakurai has been going on about how he wants to keep improving the Smash Ultimate record, I honestly feel like this is his last Smash game. I think he's going to continue working on Smash DLC as long as more is greenlit. We could get up to 100 characters if he wants. That would take Ultimate out to about 2025 though lmao.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I haven't heard of any supposed leaks (which won't be close to being true if it's not by any active named leakers/insiders) recently.

The way that Sakurai has been going on about how he wants to keep improving the Smash Ultimate record, I honestly feel like this is his last Smash game. I think he's going to continue working on Smash DLC as long as more is greenlit. We could get up to 100 characters if he wants. That would take Ultimate out to about 2025 though lmao.
If he and the crew continue to be speedy with their deadlines, I could see them pull it off by 2023, since we don't know how much the switch support cycle will last any longer. Also, I'm liking the idea of him doing a DK game at some point, based on the stuff we see of it in smash.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I wish. But really though, I believe FP2 should be Sakurai's final job in Ultimate because the guy really needs a break as he has been working on Smash non stop since 2012. His health is more important than our desire for more characters and I would prefer to see Sakurai alive and healthy whether than weaker and possibly sent to a early grave.

I haven't heard of any supposed leaks (which won't be close to being true if it's not by any active named leakers/insiders) recently.

If he and the crew continue to be speedy with their deadlines, I could see them pull it off by 2023, since we don't know how much the switch support cycle will last any longer. Also, I'm liking the idea of him doing a DK game at some point, based on the stuff we see of it in smash.
It would be amazing to see Sakurai make a DKC game. But first, that man needs a long *** vacation after he is done with Ultimate.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wish. But really though, I believe FP2 should be Sakurai's final job in Ultimate because the guy really needs a break as he has been working on Smash non stop since 2012. His health is more important than our desire for more characters and I would prefer to see Sakurai alive and healthy whether than weaker and possibly sent to a early grave.

It would be amazing to see Sakurai make a DKC game. But first, that man needs a long *** vacation after he is done with Ultimate.
Based on what he said and done before, I don't think he knows of any vacations other than short-term ones, so I don't think it's a big deal. It's Japan, y'know, regular salarymen have a higher chance of dying there. :drshrug: At least he doesn't have cancer.

Besides, DLC is way less work than making an entire whole game, and he remembers to take some breaks from time to time.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Based on what he said and done before, I don't think he knows of any vacations other than short-term ones, so I don't think it's a big deal. It's Japan, y'know. :drshrug:
I guess. But for his health I think it would be best if he either took a long *** vacation or retires after Ultimate. This man has done way more than enough for us.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I guess. But for his health I think it would be best if he either took a long *** vacation or retires after Ultimate. This man has done way more than enough for us.
Sakurai seems to care more about the work then his health. I think he needs a break but knowing his perfectionist attitute he is going to keep going till Nintendo tells him to stop, then he retires

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Based on his work history, I don't think he minds it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masahiro_Sakurai#Works

If anything, he occasionally comes across more as wanting to do something other than Smash for a change, not drop games altogether.

Also, remember that for Smash 4 he had to make TWO GAMES AT ONCE. Which wasn't his idea in the first place. Compared to that, Ultimate is practically more pleasant since most of the stuff was ported over anyway.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Based on his work history, I don't think he minds it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masahiro_Sakurai#Works

If anything, he occasionally comes across more as wanting to do something other than Smash for a change, not drop games altogether.

Also, remember that for Smash 4 he had to make TWO GAMES AT ONCE. Which wasn't his idea in the first place. Compared to that, Ultimate is practically more pleasant since most of the stuff was ported over anyway.
That what I was saying when I mention he has been working on Smash non stop since 2012.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
This list is weird KOSMOS and Shantae are easily S Tier by its definition.
Potential Newcomer Tier List uniqueness.png .

Top Bottom