• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I love Kyrstal too, and feel that she has more then earned a spot into the game. Really, if Rare never left nintendo, and Nintendo let them make dinosaur planet with her as the lead, she would have been already(same with Banjo, and Joanna, and Conker. and maybe my personal love Kameo)

But, I have to say that yes, she does have a large.... Furry fanbase. I don't think Furries are generally bad or anything like that, just the loud minority.
Didn't they have some other male protagonist as the lead for Dinosaur Planet?

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Come to think of it, isn't it usually people who hang at Gamefaqs that cause petty Smash fanbase feuds? The genuinely kind users there tend to be forgotten amongst the vocal haters getting more attention without leaving its forums.
It's not only GameFAQs.
It happenes everywhere, sadly.

Though GameFAQs, Twitter and YouTube Comments are the biggest sources of this bigotry (unsurprisingly).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Incidentally, I came across that on Twitter recently. Wasn't sure whether to post it since there's no solid guarantee of any of these getting in this time (except maybe Crash), but what's done is done.

The lack of ARMS hats on that disappoints me.

That being said, only 8 days before SSS launches. In the meantime, WF continued to post character profiles, I guess:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

And here's yet another good piece from RuRu:

Edit: Oh yeah, it seems that WayForward will be involved with some sort of digital event on June 23:

Me when:

0e786815a0cf8bb5f03756cb15c8fabd.jpg

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Edit: Oh yeah, it seems that WayForward will be involved with some sort of digital event on June 23:

Maybe a new collab by Wayforward and Arcsys? I love that as soon as we talk about Wayforward not expanding its audience enough we get an announcement they're going to be at a digital event with all of these big third parties. It makes me a happy boy.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just a week left before Seven Sirens arrives and hopefully for the selected ARMS rep somewhere in June.
Screenshot_20200326-093028_YouTube.jpg
Also, artwork for Shantae with May 28 coming soon.
Artist: BNBBNBB

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So Shantae fans.

I've played and beaten Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse.

Both were fun but Pirate's Curse was much better imo. I have Half Genie Hero that I'll get to eventually (it was on sale), but I'm going to ask.

Is the first Shantae any good?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So Shantae fans.

Both were fun but Pirate's Curse was much better imo. I have Half Genie Hero that I'll get to eventually (it was on sale), but I'm going to ask.

I can't ask that question since the first Shantae was the only Shantae I never played along with Seven Sirens.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
So Shantae fans.

I remember the first game had its flaws but it was okay and impressive at the time of the Game boy color days and they improved upon things in later titles.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
So Shantae fans.

One of the main mechanics in the first Shantae game was that you had to do a small rhythm minigame when you wanted to transform. That and the high difficulty were what made it less enjoyable for me. I'd say that if you want to play the whole series go for it, but otherwise it's probably the worst out of all 5 games imo.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, only one week left before SSS' (second) maiden voyage.

And 4chan don't forget about 4chan. What a toxic wasteland that place is it's such a troll's nest.
/m/ is somewhat tolerable compared to the rest of it. It's ironically easier to talk about video games there than /v/ (the main source of fake text leaks).

So Shantae fans.

It's rough around the edges (especially with the Capcom-related habit of having much of the playfield hidden by a small screen), but otherwise fairly solid once you get at least an hour into it.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
So Shantae fans.

Actually, despite its flaws, the first game is still my favourite to this day.
It's a Game Boy Color game, so expect some flaws.
But overall, it's a good game. You just need to learn the game, it's not the easiest game.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So Shantae fans.

I would say there is nothing really wrong with the original Shantae that isn't fixed by the virtual console emulator features. Namely save states. The original used a lives and game over system which is very annoying with some of the platforming and end game world enemies. But with save states that's not really a big issue.

As a game, it's probably the worst, but that's because of being the foundation the others were built off of. from a technical standpoint it's very impressive to see such smooth and complicated animations running on gameboy graphics.

One feature the first had that none of the others had that I actually miss is how transformations worked. Back then, you would enter a dance mode and then input the dance moves, so a certain combination of moves would cause you to take on different transformations. A lot of players didn't like it because of how long it would take to transform, but for me it made things a little more immersive.I Always thought of it like playing a song in Ocarina of Time or Wind Waker (more like Wind Waker since rhythm is invovled)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I would say there is nothing really wrong with the original Shantae that isn't fixed by the virtual console emulator features. Namely save states. The original used a lives and game over system which is very annoying with some of the platforming and end game world enemies. But with save states that's not really a big issue.

As a game, it's probably the worst, but that's because of being the foundation the others were built off of. from a technical standpoint it's very impressive to see such smooth and complicated animations running on gameboy graphics.

One feature the first had that none of the others had that I actually miss is how transformations worked. Back then, you would enter a dance mode and then input the dance moves, so a certain combination of moves would cause you to take on different transformations. A lot of players didn't like it because of how long it would take to transform, but for me it made things a little more immersive.I Always thought of it like playing a song in Ocarina of Time or Wind Waker (more like Wind Waker since rhythm is invovled)
Yes, well, in Zelda you don't have Keese or rocks bashing your head in when you try to play.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Don't forget of the Day and Night Cycle. Be careful in the night since enemies has double the HP and attack like how castlevania 2 treated it. Also, you find firefiles in the night, but do that when the harpy transformation is available to you for easier access.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, I got good news and bad news. The good news is that the digital version of SSS is live for pre-ordering now. The bad news...

...It's uncertain if they'll have anything new to show at the expo. Depending on how one interprets that last sentence, anyway.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Why would
Well, I got good news and bad news. The good news is that the digital version of SSS is live for pre-ordering now. The bad news...

...It's uncertain if they'll have anything new to show at the expo. Depending on how one interprets that last sentence, anyway.
Why would They showcase stuff; the newest of which having been out for a month by then?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

Sorry, I guess I'm out of the loop. What exactly is bad about them promoting their games at an event?

Dukefire

Smash Master
They have already shown their current games with no word of other future projects for the event coming up. Based on WF's choice of words.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818

Dukefire

Smash Master
For those that are wondering for Shantae and the Seven Sirens digital price, it's only 29.99 (in USD).

zferolie

Smash Hero
so, anyone hear of any smash leaks with our girl in them? I know they would be 100% fake, but I still like to hear stuff.

Honestly haven't been hearing anything leak wise for smash. not even who the arms fighter is... quite surprisng. Nintendo must really be holding the fort on that

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
The fact that Wayforward is just promoting stuff isn't too surprising. They just finished Vitamin Collection earlier this year and now they've finished Shantae. They're an indie company with a small team. They're not Monolith Soft that can work on a new IP, Xenoblade Definitive Edition, and BOTW2 all at the same time lol. I'm just happy their name is up there plastered with other DLC character companies like SNK, ATLUS, and Koei Tecmo (helped develop Three Houses).

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
so, anyone hear of any smash leaks with our girl in them? I know they would be 100% fake, but I still like to hear stuff.

Honestly haven't been hearing anything leak wise for smash. not even who the arms fighter is... quite surprisng. Nintendo must really be holding the fort on that
The only leak for anything as of late is that one bloke who claimed the ARMS trailer is a continuation of the Kencineroar one. Even then, it's an educated guess.

Otherwise, the only new Shantae-related tidbit is WF reminding everyone that they exist. It's slow.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
The only leak for anything as of late is that one bloke who claimed the ARMS trailer is a continuation of the Kencineroar one. Even then, it's an educated guess.

Otherwise, the only new Shantae-related tidbit is WF reminding everyone that they exist. It's slow.
so far only 1 trailer has reused assets from past trailers, and that was Banjo. Byleth i guess reused 3 houses stuff. every other trailer has been new(yes even terrys was new, while just using old sprites.

If it is a reused Ken trailer though, I find it hard that it would use a hero style character for the arms rep

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
So Shantae fans.

It depends on how Zelda II sits with you. It's like that, but nowhere near as cryptic or unfair.

Some people like it, some others detest it's flaws. To me, it's one of those games you can't help but admire for how much visible effort was put into it despite the flaws. No Shantae game since, has ever really had the respective effort of it's platform like the original had. It's the one and probably only 3rd party GBC or even general 8-bit GameBoy title I would put on my recommendation list next to Link's Awakening, the Oracle games, Wario Land titles, RBY/GSC, etc.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
It depends on how Zelda II sits with you. It's like that, but nowhere near as cryptic or unfair.

Some people like it, some others detest it's flaws. To me, it's one of those games you can't help but admire for how much visible effort was put into it despite the flaws. No Shantae game since, has ever really had the respective effort of it's platform like the original had. It's the one and probably only 3rd party GBC or even general 8-bit GameBoy title I would put on my recommendation list next to Link's Awakening, the Oracle games, Wario Land titles, RBY/GSC, etc.
I think Shantae resembles Castlevania more than Zelda 2.
It's the progression and level layout that play out more like traditional Zelda-games.
So I think the best way to describe it, take the progression system and level design of a traditional Zelda-game and make it a 2D Side Scrolling platformer.
Or better, Metroidvania mixed with a little Zelda.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I haven't seen any leaks with Shantae in it, but I wish I would a lot more though. Our girl needs all the attention she can get.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I think Shantae resembles Castlevania more than Zelda 2.
It's the progression and level layout that play out more like traditional Zelda-games.
So I think the best way to describe it, take the progression system and level design of a traditional Zelda-game and make it a 2D Side Scrolling platformer.
Or better, Metroidvania mixed with a little Zelda.
Funny you bring that up. I was just doing research on Wayforward for a Fighter Pass 2 predictions video, and I came across something that said Wayforward helped with polish on Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. An interviewer asked Koji Igarashi, the producer of Bloodstained and a key figure in the history of the Castlevania series, why he chose Wayforward to help. Igarashi said that Wayforward were "top tier" in the action platforming genre, which is a huge compliment from a legendary Japanese dev. Wayforward's got some clout in the Japanese game industry.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Funny you bring that up. I was just doing research on Wayforward for a Fighter Pass 2 predictions video, and I came across something that said Wayforward helped with polish on Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. An interviewer asked Koji Igarashi, the producer of Bloodstained and a key figure in the history of the Castlevania series, why he chose Wayforward to help. Igarashi said that Wayforward were "top tier" in the action platforming genre, which is a huge compliment from a legendary Japanese dev. Wayforward's got some clout in the Japanese game industry.
Another brownie point to add to in Shantae's favor.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Something interesting for off topic a bit, but the Mother series is getting an official collaboration Manga.
Fun Fact: Toby Fox is taking part of the collab.

Top Bottom