• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
What now?
The overworld is split between east and west halves, with those in turn being split between normal and "far" versions eg. Island West/Far West, not unlike the "depths" seen in classic Metroid. I'm just wondering what songs people prefer between them. They all have a tropical vibe, but also their own style. Far West in particular might be the most optimistic, hopeful piece I have ever heard in regular Shantae gameplay.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The overworld is split between east and west halves, with those in turn being split between normal and "far" versions eg. Island West/Far West, not unlike the "depths" seen in classic Metroid. I'm just wondering what songs people prefer between them.
I don't know. I won't be playing the game until my copy of the game arrives in a couple of weeks.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Another Sonic CD music region separation. This is going to be interesting in 2 weeks.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I don't know. I won't be playing the game until my copy of the game arrives in a couple of weeks.
I hope you don't mind my asking, but what makes you think it's arriving did you in a couple of weeks? Have they made any mention on when they plan for the physical versions to start shopping?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I hope you don't mind my asking, but what makes you think it's arriving did you in a couple of weeks? Have they made any mention on when they plan for the physical versions to start shopping?
No the game comes out on the 28th, but I forgot my orders won't be coming until a bit later since not everybody get's their orders on release day.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
No the game comes out on the 28th, but I forgot my orders won't be coming until a bit later since not everybody get's their orders on release day.
The digital version comes out on the 28th. The physical versions aren't going to be getting to people for a couple of months likely. LRG doesn't like to even make the games until they know it's the final build, so it never has to be updated if possible. So they won't even be making the carts until after the digital game is out, probably even later if Wayforward feels there are some patches they need to work out.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Any idea if that GBC cartridge with the Limited bundle has an actual game on it?

A copy of the original game, perhaps?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Another Sonic CD music region separation. This is going to be interesting in 2 weeks.
Not even remotely the same thing, it's just that two halves of the OST are dedicated towards specific general areas here.

Any idea if that GBC cartridge with the Limited bundle has an actual game on it?

A copy of the original game, perhaps?
If that was going to be the case, they would have said so, but no it's just a nonfunctional collector's item.

Last edited:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
I ordered the SatSS collector's edition, plushy and the cards. Happy Birthday to me (slightly belated, it was on the 15'th)

Have a Fan-Art
There was a problem fetching the tweet

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Don't think I've seen this one here...

Dukefire

Smash Master
Best to not stir the fans when it's close to release and for possible incorrect info towards Smash.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
With regards to the CE Poster, it'd be funny if Rotty's grass skirt has either a withered rose buckle or a rafflesia buckle. I have my aunt to thank for getting one for me for my B-Day gift.

But oh boyo, when Seven Siren releases on PC and console, there's going to be a megaton of fanart firing on all cylinders.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Better name my kid Amber because I am officially a sap.
Bought the collector's edition and the plushy.

I've managed to stay spoiler free so I'll wait and see what's in store when it arrives on my doorstep.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Im gonna buy 4 packs of the trading cards cause if you buy 4 or more youre guaranteed one gold version of each card,

Dukefire

Smash Master
Okay, but how will people remember to get the game 10 days after the LRG pre-orders? Invisible advertising only goes so far. Even a milestone countdown mentioning Pirate's Curse would be enough.
That's true. WF will eventually need to show the game to the public with only 10 days before release.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
That's true. WF will eventually need to show the game to the public with only 10 days before release.
Not to mention the people who are interested yet aren't going to pay attention to news updates outside of events like Nintendo Directs, E3, etc.

WF is basically relying on the fans to spread the word and that's getting damn annoying. People pretty much try to dismiss us as non existent outside of Smash because of it.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Not to mention the people who are interested yet aren't going to pay attention to news updates outside of events like Nintendo Directs, E3, etc.

WF is basically relying on the fans to spread the word and that's getting damn annoying. People pretty much try to dismiss us as non existent outside of Smash because of it.
What? They tweet about it every other day.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

Yep. This is exactly what I've been saying. If Wayforward wants to stay relevant in the evolving indie market they have to start advertising wherever they get the opportunity to. It's why games like Hollow Knight and Shovel Knight got so popular.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yep. This is exactly what I've been saying. If Wayforward wants to stay relevant in the evolving indie market they have to start advertising wherever they get the opportunity to. It's why games like Hollow Knight and Shovel Knight got so popular.
They're certainly taking baby steps about it. Sure, SSS has been advertised in anime movie showings, but the North American anime market is not the mainstream juggernaut it used to be in the early 00s.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm pretty sure Wayforward just doesn't want to be identified solely by their mascot. Those other indies that get pushed more come from studios that don't have much else to fall back on. I'd rather not they try to force popularity to happen for her, especially just for a selfish desire to cameo in a game, and lest we forget the game is already out. Console releases of Seven Sirens don't have enough differences to warrant big second trailers.

What makes you think they won't just turn around and claim Wayforward is trying to force her down our throats out of desperation like we passive-aggressively mocked Shovel Knight for long ago in these parts?

WingedSupernova WingedSupernova They actually stay relevant with a radical, unheard of strategy... wanna know what that is?

Actually making different games and series with experimental ideas. Would you expect a game like Vitamin Connection to come from anyone but Nintendo otherwise?

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
They're certainly taking baby steps about it. Sure, SSS has been advertised in anime movie showings, but the North American anime market is not the mainstream juggernaut it used to be in the early 00s.
It's like they're relying on the cool partnerships they get from Japanese teams like ArcSys and TRIGGER to drum up all the advertising they need through word of mouth. Those are incredible feats, don't get me wrong, but put some trailers on places like Nintendo and Sony's YouTube channels to broaden your reach a bit. At least the game journalists I see on Twitter were talking about the limited edition and Matt's interview with GoNintendo, so that's something.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
What makes you think they won't just turn around and claim Wayforward is trying to force her down our throats out of desperation like we passive-aggressively mocked Shovel Knight for long ago in these parts?
I don't want to get into a big debate here because it might trigger a flame war, but I think more Shovel Knight fans or people in general or have played Shovel Knight has mocked us Shantae fans more than we have mocked them. A lot of people overlook Shantae for Shovel Knight and thinks Shantae is a lame series and only thinks people are into it because they we are hentai loving freaks which is ABSOLUTELY NOT SURE. I hate it when people call fans of wanted female characters in Smash a pervert, hentai lover, or a furry. It drives me nuts when people will go that far to harass the fans of characters they don't want.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I don't want to get into a big debate here because it might trigger a flame war, but I think more Shovel Knight fans or people in general or have played Shovel Knight has mocked us Shantae fans more than we have mocked them. A lot of people overlook Shantae for Shovel Knight and thinks Shantae is a lame series and only thinks people are into it because they we are hentai loving freaks which is ABSOLUTELY NOT SURE. I hate it when people call fans of wanted female characters in Smash a pervert, hentai lover, or a furry. It drives me nuts when people will go that far to harass the fans of characters they don't want.
People like that aren't fans of Shovel Knight. They're nothing more than contrarians that want to make fun of or bully others for their opinions. They go to fan pages and forums just to mock people and make themselves feel better. The real fans would simply leave it at "I just think Shovel Knight is more likely" and move on, or engage in a civilized discussion. In a similar sense, those who dismiss or brand fans of female characters like Shantae or 2B as horny teens are simply ignorant and uneducated. They don't want to learn about why people like those characters or what their history is. They just want to dismiss them so they can talk about characters they want. Both of those types of people don't need to be taken seriously. They're not worth the energy.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
People like that aren't fans of Shovel Knight. They're nothing more than contrarians that want to make fun of or bully others for their opinions. They go to fan pages and forums just to mock people and make themselves feel better. The real fans would simply leave it at "I just think Shovel Knight is more likely" and move on, or engage in a civilized discussion. In a similar sense, those who dismiss or brand fans of female characters like Shantae or 2B as horny teens are simply ignorant and uneducated. They don't want to learn about why people like those characters or what their history is. They just want to dismiss them so they can talk about characters they want. Both of those types of people don't need to be taken seriously. They're not worth the energy.
Exactly! But I wish more people outside of the Shantae fanbase would take us more seriously though.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Exactly! But I wish more people outside of the Shantae fanbase would take us more seriously though.
They're not vocal, but they're out there. Zero, Armada, Alpharad, and various other Smash YouTubers give Shantae a fair shake of the stick when she comes up in the course of discussion. Even if some don't think she's likely, they still say they'd be happy to see her.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
They're not vocal, but they're out there. Zero, Armada, Alpharad, and various other Smash YouTubers give Shantae a fair shake of the stick when she comes up in the course of discussion. Even if some don't think she's likely, they still say they'd be happy to see her.
They also support Krystal as well and we Krystal fans get a lot of hate and get called "furries" for wanting her. I'm glad those guys are on our side.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
They also support Krystal as well and we Krystal fans get a lot of hate and get called "furries" for wanting her. I'm glad those guys are on our side.
Yeah, and I can live with "I don't think that's likely." We just got a pass full of characters that people didn't think were likely in one way or another.
Joker - If you weren't a Persona 5 fan I doubt you knew who he was.
Hero - A legacy JRPG character, but people were thinking Sora or Geno were way more likely.
Banjo - A lot of people thought Steve was more likely.
Terry - Absolutely nobody thought he was coming.
Byleth - Even though he/she was thrown out as a meme a lot, not only did people not think it was happening, people thought Edelgard was more likely.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I love Kyrstal too, and feel that she has more then earned a spot into the game. Really, if Rare never left nintendo, and Nintendo let them make dinosaur planet with her as the lead, she would have been already(same with Banjo, and Joanna, and Conker. and maybe my personal love Kameo)

But, I have to say that yes, she does have a large.... Furry fanbase. I don't think Furries are generally bad or anything like that, just the loud minority.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As a realist, I would simply say "Shovel Knight would need more games before he can seriously be considered" and move on. Vocal minorities who lord over Shantae fans by saying "Shovel Knight is mainstream, neener neener" make me ashamed of being a SK fan sometimes.

Yeah, and I can live with "I don't think that's likely." We just got a pass full of characters that people didn't think were likely in one way or another.
Joker - If you weren't a Persona 5 fan I doubt you knew who he was.
Hero - A legacy JRPG character, but people were thinking Sora or Geno were way more likely.
Banjo - A lot of people thought Steve was more likely.
Terry - Absolutely nobody thought he was coming.
Byleth - Even though he/she was thrown out as a meme a lot, not only did people not think it was happening, people thought Edelgard was more likely.
And Sak outright declared during Terry's stream that only whether a character's fun matters, not how many handful of fans remember them.

Causality is basically the Smash hardcore fanbase's biggest adversary, and they still haven't learned to read how it fights. :ultpit:

The only real thing that prevents certain characters from getting in right now is the amount of slots in the silly pass.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Why do you think it's a war between fanbases?
I don't think Shovel Knight fans have anything to do with this.
And I think you're confusing Shovel Knight fans with toxic Smash fans, that use him as an excuse to beat down a wanted character.

In reality, you should get mad at these dumb and childrish Smash Fans, that take speculation way too seriously.
They are so delusional, they think all their bickering and gatekeeping actually has any influence on who makes it into the game.
And these people will pull out any number of excuses, in an attempt to justify their gatekeeping, which ultimately boils down to "I don't want this character to use up space for the one I want."

And for Shantae, they will either side with a competing indie-character, like Shovel Knight...
Or declare the entire fanbase horny hentai lovers or pedophiles.
Again they think they can actually influence on who makes it into the game, with these childrish antics.
So they will do anything to "destroy the chances" of other wanted characters, just so they can put their own in.
Be it siding with other characters, demonizing the fanbase or whatever.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Come to think of it, isn't it usually people who hang at Gamefaqs that cause petty Smash fanbase feuds? The genuinely kind users there tend to be forgotten amongst the vocal haters getting more attention without leaving its forums.

Last edited:
Top Bottom