• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dukefire

Smash Master
So i contacted that 1 store that had the sealed shantae a few months ago, to see if they have it and how much it is. Luckily i am still working, getting paied extra due to hazard pay(going into many super markets) and the government check hopefully is coming. I think i can afford 300 bucks for a sealed shantae for my collection... but if its more probably gonna say no thanks. You guys think thats a good price for such a rare thing?
If you want it, go get it. Its your choice if you want the original sealed copy.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
So i contacted that 1 store that had the sealed shantae a few months ago, to see if they have it and how much it is. Luckily i am still working, getting paied extra due to hazard pay(going into many super markets) and the government check hopefully is coming. I think i can afford 300 bucks for a sealed shantae for my collection... but if its more probably gonna say no thanks. You guys think thats a good price for such a rare thing?
I think you should do whatever makes you happy, as long as you can afford it and it doesn't put you in financial trouble.
And based on the insane prices we can see online for such a copy, it is a reasonable price imo.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Dude does this store deliver online if so I can buy it.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Here's another interview about Seven Sirens: https://goombastomp.com/shantae-interview/

It also has some interesting, not too spoilery screenshots:

This one shows some of the cards you can get. The interview mentions that in addition to getting them from beating up enemies, you also get them from secrets and side-quests. Interestingly in my view, there is a card of one of the mermaids from Half-Genie Hero. Wonder if that means they're still baddies here.

Sky takes her Funky Kong-approved adventure distaste to new apathetic heights:

I don't know if this part of the demo, but dungeons seem to show the Heart Squids left to find in the top-right:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not many independent games have as much of a history as the Shantae series.
You got that right, sir.

“I’ve wanted to do a Shantae sunken city game for a while, probably since we finished the Nintendo DSi game [Shantae: Risky’s Revenge],” says Matt Bozon, co-founder of WayForward and co-creator of the Shantae series. “There are many Shantae ideas hidden deep inside sketchbooks waiting for the right time to resurface, and it felt like the right time to dig into that story.”
Ah-ha, so they are making use of older scrapped concepts after all. Guess it's only a matter of time until the Jinns eventually are confirmed.

Bozon clarifies that “We figured there were two sets of players: there were the ones who knew about Shantae since Game Boy, and had probably played all three pixel games. And then there were the newer players who started the series with Half-Genie Hero around 2016. Half-Genie Hero, the fourth game, works very well as a get-to-know-ya game, allowing players to test the waters a bit. So, with all players knowing the Shantae basics, it felt like a good time to return to the action/adventure formula as a foundation and forge new paths the likes of which haven’t been seen since the third game.”
So, basically, HGH is partly intended as an entry gate for newer fans, seeing how standalone-ish it is.

While the core art direction remains similar to previous games, Seven Sirens takes a new stylistic approach to its character portrait art shown during dialogue. A wide variety of inspirations went into creating this new look. “To decide on a new illustration style, we did some exploration with artist KOU from Inti Creates, and compared Shantae’s current look against popular anime.
More proof that Shantae actually is the closest we have to an actual anime character. Also, Inti Creates' collaboration isn't quite entirely gone.

Even if the road to release has seemed relatively quicker than previous games, that doesn’t mean that it’s been entirely without event. Shantae and the Seven Sirens was promised to release at the launch of Apple Arcade last year, but it wasn’t quite finished in time; this is what spurred the initial episodic release of Seven Sirens on that platform. “We had previously committed to be part of the Apple Arcade launch lineup. But when launch day came around, the back half of the adventure was still months away from completion. So we released the game in two parts rather than delay it.”
Would have been better off announcing a delay in advance like with Pirate's Curse, to avoid any confusion, but the fan input made it all work out.

In 2020, WayForward is celebrating its 30th anniversary. It might be easy to see Seven Sirens as a grand celebration in honor of this event, but for Bozon, it’s only the latest release in a hectic anniversary year. “I guess it shows how busy we are!” Bozon says. “2019 was insane with original titles that are still releasing from WayForward. We had River City Girls, Mighty Switch Force! Collection, Vitamin Connection, Spidersaurs, Cat Girl Without Salad: Amuse-Bouche, and now Shantae and the Seven Sirens – all original games in development at the same time.” As packed as this lineup is, Bozon nonetheless teases that “we haven’t even revealed everything yet! After 30 years, we need a nap!”
Just how much funding did they even get from HGH, special game sales, licensed games and cinema tie-ins anyway?

Last edited:

etnoika

Smash Cadet
I gotta admit, as much as I love Shantae I wouldn't shell out a whole $300 for the original game. Not when you can get it on digital for regular price. If you want to get it it's your choice though.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As long as it's cheaper than Truxton 2, it's your call.

D

Deleted member

I still wish everyone in game had a new look based on the new artstyle for the game instead of reuse the ones from Half Genie Hero. I understand that would mean a lot more development time but still.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I still wish everyone in game had a new look based on the new artstyle for the game instead of reuse the ones from Half Genie Hero. I understand that would mean a lot more development time but still.
I'm sure we'll get that in the next game...

In the next console generation. I have a feeling that WF will continue to commit to their "one original new Shantae installment" formula, even if Nintendo's next console will be far off from now.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Look at it this way: there are a lot of returning Shantae monsters that didn't get their chance with this in-game art style in the last entry. And considering we've already had period of two games using a similar visual style for sprites (Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse), we're still in the norm.

I don't know if we'll ever get sprites that fully resemble art, though. The devs seem to prioritize how they work in gameplay over looks. Just look at some of the Barons going to Half-Genie Hero, going up several sizes, especially Ammo Baron, going from the same size as his men to towering over them, probably to make him a more distinctive target in his boss fight. Kind of like Bowser.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Speaking of returning monsters, does Slime gal return? She was the monster I designed for the Kickstarter.

MattX20

Smash Hero
If Shantae did somehow end up playable in Ultimate, you think they would ultimately use her Seven Sirens art style instead of HGH?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Look at it this way: there are a lot of returning Shantae monsters that didn't get their chance with this in-game art style in the last entry. And considering we've already had period of two games using a similar visual style for sprites (Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse), we're still in the norm.

I don't know if we'll ever get sprites that fully resemble art, though. The devs seem to prioritize how they work in gameplay over looks. Just look at some of the Barons going to Half-Genie Hero, going up several sizes, especially Ammo Baron, going from the same size as his men to towering over them, probably to make him a more distinctive target in his boss fight. Kind of like Bowser.
Maybe if they ever collaborate with Arc System Works, it could be pulled off, those guys work wonders at making games look like anime. Then again, fighting games are an entirely different beast.

If Shantae did somehow end up playable in Ultimate, you think they would ultimately use her Seven Sirens art style instead of HGH?
Plot twist: we get a modernised version of the first one's style, like here:

SI_3DSVC_Shantae_image1600w.jpg

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Remember that Sakurai does want to bring the character's full detail as much he can fit.

So I wouldn't be surprised if he did fuse all of Shantae's current adventures into a 3D model with moves she acquired in her 5 games.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Maybe if they ever collaborate with Arc System Works, it could be pulled off, those guys work wonders at making games look like anime. Then again, fighting games are an entirely different beast.

Plot twist: we get a modernised version of the first one's style, like here:

2D fighting games have big sprites. And since there isn't much to interact with other than the other player, that frees up devs to put in as much detail as possible, which also helps to ensure you can easily tell what action does what, in a genre demanding ultra precision.

Funny you mention the original, because that game had bigger sprites than average that you could say were well ahead of it's hardware and time. You also couldn't see more than two feet in front of you, which is problematic when exploring is one of the main features of your game.

Metroidvanias, though they can vary in how much screen real estate is needed depending on the level design, still need your playable sprite to be smaller in order for easier maneverability, and flexibility in how one can position enemies. And of course, a smaller sprite means less detail.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
2D fighting games have big sprites. And since there isn't much to interact with other than the other player, that frees up devs to put in as much detail as possible, which also helps to ensure you can easily tell what action does what, in a genre demanding ultra precision.

Funny you mention the original, because that game had bigger sprites than average that you could say were well ahead of it's hardware and time. You also couldn't see more than two feet in front of you, which is problematic when exploring is one of the main features of your game.

Metroidvanias, though they can vary in how much screen real estate is needed depending on the level design, still need your playable sprite to be smaller in order for easier maneverability, and flexibility in how one can position enemies. And of course, a smaller sprite means less detail.
I think it was a bit of a quirk for Capcom-produced games at the time to not allow much real estate on screen, since Ghosts 'N Goblins on GBC also had that issue (considering how tough THAT is…). You could only do so much on a handheld in that era.

Besides, WF originally intended for the first Shantae to be a console game, though plans for the PSX and SNES both fell through.

Remember that Sakurai does want to bring the character's full detail as much he can fit.

So I wouldn't be surprised if he did fuse all of Shantae's current adventures into a 3D model with moves she acquired in her 5 games.
Yup, so I wouldn't underestimate that. While Rare obviously wanted :ultbanjokazooie: to show off their most iconic entry, it seems likely that WF wouldn't mind a best-of approach for Shantae.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
While i like big sprites, you cant argue that innthe gbc game it did make for some hard paltforming and leap of faith points. Still a great game and looks great, but the gbc screen was slightly too small for something so ambitious.

Anyway, here is a bunch of shantae art!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Pirate's Curse Shantae since it's probably the most iconic version of our heroine or a original Smash version of Shantae that gives us the best of all versions of her. It will probably be the latter since that's how they approached Ridley and K. Rool.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Pirate's Curse Shantae since it's probably the most iconic version of our heroine or a original Smash version of Shantae that gives us the best of all versions of her. It will probably be the latter since that's how they approached Ridley and K. Rool.
Come to think of it, PC is the first game in the series they got exposed to, right? They didn't get the other two until later. Imagine the confusion over starting with a spoilered plot twist...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The thing with Pirate's Curse Shantae is that she has an article of clothing no other incarnation has, even without dressing up as a pirate: that black vest. Couple that with the skull bandana to make a good counterpart to the Meta Ridley/School Joker/Advent Children Cloud costumes.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
And why does it have to be Pirate's Curse's design and nothing else?

I honestly can see a design based on her Original game or Risky's Revenge, working much better for Smash.
And like I said before: Despite its popularity, I don't think basing Shantae on Pirate's Curse would be a wise move for Smash, where part of adding a character, is introducing said character to a new audience.
And Pirate's Curse, sorry to say, is the absolute worst representation of Shantae as a character.

All other games in the series, represent her much better.
For the simple reason, that she is actually using her own powers and abilities in these games.
Whereas in Pirate's Curse, she pretty much is Risky Boots in gameplay.

I get the popularity of Pirate's Curse.
But she isn't using her own powers in this game.
And me personally, I don't think Sakurai would base her on Pirate's Curse, simply because the game is more popular than other games in the series.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Hm. Vest aside, it looks like Shantae's clothing has stuck since Pirate's Curse. So just using those articles alone would score a majority representation, and transition smoothly to the full pirate getup. Aside from those, I would give her the big blue eyes and a smoother, more flowing ponytail like in earlier depictions which would come off as more natural in 3D.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
WF finally got to Risky's Revenge in their milestones.

I'm glad that they went with this piece of art.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
With Trials of Mana receiving a Spirit Event due to it's upcoming release on Friday, what are the chances of SatSS receiving the same treatment when it releases on consoles in May? I must admit, the prospect of this happening is making me a tad bit nervous due to the fact that if this does happen, it is IMO, the end of the road for Shantae in SSBU.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
With Trials of Mana receiving a Spirit Event due to it's upcoming release on Friday, what are the chances of SatSS receiving the same treatment when it releases on consoles in May? I must admit, the prospect of this happening is making me a tad bit nervous due to the fact that if this does happen, it is IMO, the end of the road for Shantae in SSBU.
Why would such an event need Shantae specifically when she and Risky are already in the game?

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Why would such an event need Shantae specifically when she and Risky are already in the game?
Not so much Shantae and Risky, more so the minor characters like Sky, Bolo, Rottytops, Uncle Mimic etc. Basically, spirits that would inevitably be included in Shantae's Spirit Board and therefore, wouldn't need a Spirit Event.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In any case, spirit events with new spirits can happen really late after the related game's launch, that's one net positive. There's no rhyme or reason as to when they occur, especially since tournaments or events with recycled spirits can randomly occur to provide filler for a week or so.

If an unusually long amount of time passes without a spirit event for a game, either it has been passed over/not considered, or a character is actually confirmed.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Not so much Shantae and Risky, more so the minor characters like Sky, Bolo, Rottytops, Uncle Mimic etc. Basically, spirits that would inevitably be included in Shantae's Spirit Board and therefore, wouldn't need a Spirit Event.
All the DLC spirit board does for Fighter's Pass buyers is grant access to their battles for easy access. They actually get added in updates regardless, and you can buy spirits like Gruntilda from the shop even if you never get Banjo-Kazooie, for example.

Wouldn't be surprised if the current ARMS spirits get added to the eventual board, just as a perk in being readily available.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I wouldn't worry about it since Shantae and Risky already have Spirits in the game. The only thing that would most definitely out right deconfirm Shantae is if she get's a Mii costume. Hopefully we will see her make it as a playable character in Ultimate.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Gonna be honest here. If we get a spirit board to promote the new game, it kills any and all chances of Shantae coming as playable. If they had shantae coming, which comes with their own board already, why release an event? Three houses didnt get an event. Resident evil did.

So i am hoping NOT to see a spirit event for seven sirens

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Gonna be honest here. If we get a spirit board to promote the new game, it kills any and all chances of Shantae coming as playable. If they had shantae coming, which comes with their own board already, why release an event? Three houses didnt get an event. Resident evil did.

So i am hoping NOT to see a spirit event for seven sirens
I agree, but I think a Seven Sirens Spirit board is very unlikely even more so than a Shantae Mii costume or playable Shantae.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Another possibility that one's gotta keep in mind is that literally nothing could happen for Shantae after Ultimate's base game, not even a Mii costume. And we wouldn't even know until Ultimate's DLC support stopped.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Another possibility that one's gotta keep in mind is that literally nothing could happen for Shantae after Ultimate's base game, not even a Mii costume. And we wouldn't even know until Ultimate's DLC support stopped.
I agree. Though I would be jealous of Shovel Knight and Undertale fans for receiving a Assist Trophy and a Mii costume while all we got was 2 Spirits. Hopefully we get something else of equal grounding.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I agree, but I think a Seven Sirens Spirit board is very unlikely even more so than a Shantae Mii costume or playable Shantae.
Yeah that is true. Doubt we would be getting a stand alone spirit board for shantae.

I agree. Though I would be jealous of Shovel Knight and Undertale fans for receiving a Assist Trophy and a Mii costume while all we got was 2 Spirits. Hopefully we get something else of equal grounding.
I agree, we hopefully will get something more for shantae in the game. Playable would be the best outcome, but if we just got some music and a mii costume, i would still be happy, just not as much as playable

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I agree, we hopefully will get something more for shantae in the game. Playable would be the best outcome, but if we just got some music and a mii costume, i would still be happy, just not as much as playable
If Shantae becomes playable I would be like: "What Assist Trophy? What Mii costume? Our girl is here in the flesh!" I wouldn't ask for anything Shantae related if she become playable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom