• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Finally, some actual news, and Apple's embargo is completely lifted. Right after the mini-Direct, go figure.

In regards to the assumed June direct, we can't be sure if it'll be safe to do until we're certain that society can recover.

Now, let's just hope that Cov doesn't impact things too badly, but if they're indie enough, they can pull that through.

vwRFTkL.png

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...urse_for_switch_this_may_new_details_revealed

So when they're talking about belly-dancing in this game, are they referring to the genie fusions? Activating machinery and healing sounds like what Vera's and Zapple's fusions would do.
New trailer for Shantae posted!

RELEASE DATE MAY 28TH ON PC AND CONSOLE!!!!!!
Gotta love that not-Spike Top/Buzzy Beetle going all Koopa Shell on everything. My Super Mario crossover dreams are one step closer...

Maybe I'm misremembering, but did that group shot have Rottytops and the zombie half-genie together before? Also, that mermaid-looking (Siren?) on the right seems a bit unsure of the situation. Potential friend?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...urse_for_switch_this_may_new_details_revealed

So when they're talking about belly-dancing in this game, are they referring to the genie fusions? Activating machinery and healing sounds like what Vera's and Zapple's fusions would do.

Gotta love that not-Spike Top/Buzzy Beetle going all Koopa Shell on everything. My Super Mario crossover dreams are one step closer...

Maybe I'm misremembering, but did that group shot have Rottytops and the zombie half-genie together before? Also, that mermaid-looking (Siren?) on the right seems a bit unsure of the situation. Potential friend?
It's a tad confusing considering that not much dancing was in part 1. Unlockable abilities later on?

Fillin wasn't there before, no.

Also, the fact that they ended the trailer on the bit when she winks to Shantae won't stop bothering me for a while...

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
I cant help but think they waited for the Nintendo direct, given its a multiplat maybe they couldnt have it be revealed in a Nintendo only event?
I've been saying this since Feb. Though I honestly expected an announcement next week. Though that's a good point, it is multi platform, I'm not sure if they would be allowed to advertise for all consoles if shown during a single company's thing. I'd expect them just to have a single 2 mins at E3 etc than that.

Also, time to plan for that super quick limited run online pre order for the collector's editon of the physical game when they announce it.
How much later does the limited run version usually come out? I'd prefer to get it physical if possible.

Also, WayForward celebrating its 30 anniversity
Yea, Shantae deserves to be the first indie fighter. Wayforward is like the oldest indie company. They're older than Sonic the Hedgehog.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Here's a thought: since ARMS gets a fighter despite being made in 2017 anyway, it makes you wonder just how many base-game series are being kept in mind for this next pass.

They're older than Sonic the Hedgehog.
Seeing how he met a genie himself once, it'd be a shame if the opportunity was passed over.

I've been saying this since Feb. Though I honestly expected an announcement next week. Though that's a good point, it is multi platform, I'm not sure if they would be allowed to advertise for all consoles if shown during a single company's thing. I'd expect them just to have a single 2 mins at E3 etc than that.
It's pretty clear to me at this point that WF are so indie that they do whatever they want (at least, when Apple doesn't watch over them like a hawk). If we get news from them, they can very well do it outside of E3's Direct-stravaganza.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I'm gonna go into Seven Sirens as blind as possible. Other than the two trailers I've seen for the game I have no clue what to expect.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I will expect that the Apple Arcade users may put up more gameplay videos soon. So tread with caution for spoilers.
Screenshot_20200117-113347_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
Whoops, should've remembered that Seven Sirens was still being released for Apple Arcade when asking about it yesterday... Still, at least the console version finally has a release date.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
What I find curious about the trailer is that they keep emphasizing how mysterious the Sirens are, which would be an odd thing to do if they are like most bosses in the series where they get barely any buildup (if at all), and are never spoken of again after being beaten. Something fishy is at play here...

Also, I'm kind of digging the double fire power Shantae is packing in her updated art.

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
After watching GameXplain's stream, I was impressed on how many changes there were compared to the previous version. I really like how much WayForward updated a lot from it.

I'm glad they fixed the character placement. It looked so out of place before.
Also saw a snippet of a new cutscene (nothing spoiler worthy).

Last edited:

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
New forms and weapons. Makes her moveset a little more versatile. Between a newt dash, that spike turtle shell working like squirtles side B, cannonballs, and boomerangs, if she is a DLC how much inspiration will they take from this game?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
New forms and weapons. Makes her moveset a little more versatile. Between a newt dash, that spike turtle shell working like squirtles side B, cannonballs, and boomerangs, if she is a DLC how much inspiration will they take from this game?
Items will probably restricted to series staples like Fireball, Pike Balls and Storm Puffs. I could see at least one new transformation from Seven Sirens in the moveset, but I also feel they'll still focus on the classics, with some modifications to play more like modern ones. Arena Town could be a good alternative to Scuttle Town for a stage, and most of all, Seven Sirens has, based on what's seen so far, the most concrete examples of what could be a Final Smash with genie fusions (+ friends?).

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Oh you KNOW the FS will likely be a fusion of Shantae AND ALL the other Half genie's powers, if Seven Sirens itself DOESNT do that I will be shocked.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think a Jin or Jins are going to be the main antagonist/final boss in Seven Sirens since there is a stronger genie theme going on with more half genie girls like Shantae coming out of nowhare. The Jins were suppose to be the main antagonist in the earlier versions of the original Shantae. They were suppose to be in the unreleased PS1 version of the first game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think a Jin or Jins are going to be the main antagonist/final boss in Seven Sirens since there is a stronger genie theme going on with more half genie girls like Shantae coming out of nowhare. The Jins were suppose to be the main antagonist in the earlier versions of the original Shantae. They were suppose to be in the unreleased PS1 version of the first game.
I wouldn't doubt it, for sure. Bonus points if they're revealed Dr. Wily/Sigma-style after the Sirens are all defeated (heck, 7 is pretty close to the regular amount of default Mega Man bosses). Last we checked, the Sirens don't have any personal involvement in dialogue whatsoever, even.

After watching GameXplain's stream, I was impressed on how many changes there were compared to the previous version. I really like how much WayForward updated a lot from it.

Also saw a snippet of a new cutscene (nothing spoiler worthy).
I am convinced that Apple insisted on WF releasing the game while it still was in its beta stages.

Also, in regards to the scenes with the village chief, has there been any changes made to the dialogue that was pointed out here months ago?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I wouldn't doubt it, for sure. Bonus points if they're revealed Dr. Wily/Sigma-style after the Sirens are all defeated (heck, 7 is pretty close to the regular amount of default Mega Man bosses).
That's exactly how I expect them to pop up in the story actually. They will make us think someone else is the bad guy until we are introduced to the Jins near the very end.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

>full adventure
Well, this is it. For anyone that uses a phone or Mac, anyway.

Last edited:

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace

>full adventure
I've played the entire campaign.

I'm happy to report that the series has NOT been infected with wokeness.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

I will say this ONCE...don you dare ost any pics or post about stuff in the game, I want to go in blind and this is about Smash and Shantae's chances not her new game.

plese.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
The music we can hear about halfway through the trailer really hyped me up even more !
I hope the overall OST will be as good as Jake Kaufman's masterpieces... but it will be hard to match him.

Last edited:

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
I will say this ONCE...don you dare ost any pics or post about stuff in the game, I want to go in blind and this is about Smash and Shantae's chances not her new game.

plese.
I'm not gonna spoil it here. I have a dedicated thread on DeviantART for that (and yes, there's LOTS of warnings before you get to the comments).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Romance is the last thing anyone around here would have thought regarding this game (she's just trying to take a vacation, for pete's sake)...we just want to know if anything important actually happened lore-wise.

If so, be coy about it and say nothing, please. TV Tropes has yet to be swamped with spoilers.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

>full adventure
Welp, it's time for me to go hide in a bunker underground to avoid Seven Sirens spoilers until May 28th.

zferolie

Smash Hero
i'm just curious if there are speed running rewards, end screens and stuff. also and smash hints

Dukefire

Smash Master
This is going to be hard to avoid it since shantae videos with Seven Sirens is starting to take flight.

They also did add cutscenes when encountering the Sirens. One that I'll speak is the Water Lily Siren since that's how far I dare myself to know. Rest is hope that I don't go deeper before the game comes soon in May 28th

Time to continue with other game content like getting into ARMS and play the demo of Bravely Default II.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Resisting avoiding spoilers is going to be so tough for me because I really want to know if the Jins are in the game and if there is any Smash hints in the game.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Here's a thought: since ARMS gets a fighter despite being made in 2017 anyway, it makes you wonder just how many base-game series are being kept in mind for this next pass.

Seeing how he met a genie himself once, it'd be a shame if the opportunity was passed over.

It's pretty clear to me at this point that WF are so indie that they do whatever they want (at least, when Apple doesn't watch over them like a hawk). If we get news from them, they can very well do it outside of E3's Direct-stravaganza.
I just learned recently that at the time, the same woman voiced Blaze, Wave and the genie Shahra.

I never meant to imply Wayforward actually participates in E3. Just if they were going to announce multi platform stuff with other companies, it would probably be at an event like E3.

Ok ignoring the person who would actually know officially now, until I know otherwise, I am still predicting Squid Baron behind it all. Maybe he messes up and makes a real evil appear so we get to keep a serious story ending etc, but they've been setting him up over the years for greatness. Plus, why kidnap the half genies and leave one behind? Unless you were trying to leave her behind so she could stop you? But reusing their old djinn concept would be satisfying.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Ok ignoring the person who would actually know officially now, until I know otherwise, I am still predicting Squid Baron behind it all. Maybe he messes up and makes a real evil appear so we get to keep a serious story ending etc, but they've been setting him up over the years for greatness. Plus, why kidnap the half genies and leave one behind? Unless you were trying to leave her behind so she could stop you? But reusing their old djinn concept would be satisfying.
Building Squid Baron to be the game's final boss only for him to get shafted by the Jins or some big bad would kind of be perfect all around so we can get it all.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Squid Baron: I'm the big boss you will face in the end. I have been waiting for this moment to comes in 4 games.

Djinns: ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THAT?

I want to know the secrets, but I can't since it will spoil it.........

Also, for the Voice actress for Shahra...... I'm not surprised she has taken to voice another Genie (well, Half-Genie) after her roles of the Secret Rings and Blaze's appearances in the Sonic games after Rush.

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
Just finished Shantae Risky's Revenge... And dang! It was a really good game, tough almost in the end it was becoming kinda tedious because i always got killed by the sirens, but i finally beat it! A Classic gem if i do say myself
Now i'm going through Shantae and the Pirates Course!!!

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Why only shantae and risky amd not a few others if they planned for her only as a spirit.
Well to be fair, several other games with quite expansive rosters have gotten like, only one or two characters for spirits with nothing else to show for them.

Hell, Shovel Knight pretty much only got 5 himself despite there being far more character potential.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well to be fair, several other games with quite expansive rosters have gotten like, only one or two characters for spirits with nothing else to show for them.

Hell, Shovel Knight pretty much only got 5 himself despite there being far more character potential.
To be even more fair, besides having an adequate amount of material for him to show up without being playable, his creators have loudly and proudly acknowledged him being in Smash in this capacity.

Meanwhile, WF are like "Smash is fun!". It's really strange for them not to directly acknowledge Shantae and Risky's appearance like that.

This reminds me, I guess we should be getting their yearly Smash-themed April Fools' joke by Wednesday.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Meanwhile, WF are like "Smash is fun!". It's really strange for them not to directly acknowledge Shantae and Risky's appearance like that.
Much as I want Shantae in Smash, I really do think we're looking too deeply into this as a community. The last thing we need is to end up high and dry like other communities who looked too far into things only to see bleach for it.
Also, they have acknowledged that Shantae is in as a spirit well before, so I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

All I'm saying is that there hasn't really been anything massive or concrete actually suggesting she's in as a fighter. When such does arise, then I'll permit myself to get excited.

Cause let me tell you, I have heard this song and dance way too many times with the end result just being disappointment.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Much as I want Shantae in Smash, I really do think we're looking too deeply into this as a community. The last thing we need is to end up high and dry like other communities who looked too far into things only to see bleach for it.
Also, they have acknowledged that Shantae is in as a spirit well before, so I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

All I'm saying is that there hasn't really been anything massive or concrete actually suggesting she's in as a fighter. When such does arise, then I'll permit myself to get excited.

Cause let me tell you, I have heard this song and dance way too many times with the end result just being disappointment.
Well WayForward having the money to announce and create Seven Sirens out of nowhere with no Patreon or Kickstarter support, releasing Funco POP and Totaku figures, and promoting Seven Sirens in theaters really makes me question where are they getting all this money? Perhaps maybe Nintendo or some other big party is lending them money because Shantae could be getting into Smash and they are trying to make the Shantae brand more globally known. But I'm not going to put complete faith in that until it actually happens.

All the Shantae merchandise reminds me of the situation with all the Banjo-Kazooie merchandise coming out last year before they were announced for Smash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom