• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
But he already went to WayForward a couple of years ago to secure the rights for Shantae to get her Spirit so I don't see why he has to do it again to make her a fighter. I'm sure Nintendo could just call WayForward about making her a fighter and WayForward would be like: "Yes! Yes!! YES!!!".
You know how detail-oriented he is. He probably does a lot of idea bouncing with the devs to make sure he's doing the characters justice.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It sounds like Sakurai likes face to face meetings, according to the article
I'm saying he already went to WayForward way back in 2015 right around the time when the project plan for Ultimate was finalize I believe.

You know how detail-oriented he is. He probably does a lot of idea bouncing with the devs to make sure he's doing the characters justice.
I didn't thought about that. You could be right.

Last edited:

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
I'm saying he already went to WayForward way back in 2015 right around the time when the project plan for Ultimate was finalize I believe.

I didn't thought about that. You could be right.
Unfortunately, A LOT more than a verbal agreement would need to occur for a character to appear in a game that's not owned by their parent company. Even if both companies agree, business is business. They need to sort where the DLC money goes, any specifics about the character in game, and how the character is presented. That's the small list of things that I can think of from an ignorant perspective.

etnoika

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, how have you been?
So I finally was able to get a Switch and Smash Ultimate and blasting through it, look who I just came across in WoL:View attachment 266589
To think that that screen was the first time that all of us realized that A)Our girl was being acknowledged in Smash, and B)That she was only a Spirit, at least for now.

Do you remember how you felt?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Not much for smash news and a General Direct with the ongoing drought.

That and (Rip and Tear)
Screenshot_20200322-174338_YouTube.jpg

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
To think that that screen was the first time that all of us realized that A)Our girl was being acknowledged in Smash, and B)That she was only a Spirit, at least for now.

shock, surprise, slight dissappointment and laughter at how she got revealed in the LAST 30 SECONDS of the last direct before the game's release.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Hey guys, how have you been?
So I finally was able to get a Switch and Smash Ultimate and blasting through it, look who I just came across in WoL:View attachment 266589
That place gives me the feeling of a hidden cove. Would explain the pirate ship you end up fighting on, that plus the wooden bridge and being on a tropical island makes me feel that the placement, and Shantae's spirit was given more thought than usual, also present in the battle. Risky Boots is in a similar boat (ha).

They make you work for her. though. My attempt at making a beeline towards her was thwarted by Galeem's... light crack, for lack of a better term. You have to go to the complete opposite end of the map to clear the way.

I can't really describe my emotions at that moment. All I remember was the rush of fan art that came of it.

Looking at the recent indie developments in Smash, it's clear she and Shovel Knight set a precedent. We now have indies represented in every way except a stage and a true playable character.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Which we still don't know if a Indie character is destined to be a fighter. So, anything is still in the air with the 6 invitations still flying around

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

It felt like a magical moment when I saw Shantae as a Spirit in Smash even though I greatly prefer her as a fighter, she was at least getting acknowledge in Smash so she finally got her foot in the door.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So with Shovel Knight HARD deconfirmed with that interview with Yacht Club Games, do you think its possible that perhaps Nintendo truly only asked WF for spirits and has never contacted them since?

zferolie

Smash Hero
So with Shovel Knight HARD deconfirmed with that interview with Yacht Club Games, do you think its possible that perhaps Nintendo truly only asked WF for spirits and has never contacted them since?
What interview? And we won't know for sure unless Wayforward says something, and they seem VERY adamant about not talking any smash stuff oddly.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Probably, and probably not.

We don't really know unless they speak up, people will jump to conclusions however.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
What interview? And we won't know for sure unless Wayforward says something, and they seem VERY adamant about not talking any smash stuff oddly.
The only time they've opened their mouths about Smash recently was just to say how much they like playing it.

Anyway, Yacht Club's laissez-faire philosophies and opinions are not Wayforward's.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
The only time they've opened their mouths about Smash recently was just to say how much they like playing it.

Anyway, Yacht Club's laissez-faire philosophies and opinions are not Wayforward's.
Exactly, while Yacht Club founders are former WayForward employees their opinions do not count as opinions of WayForward.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
You guys are bad with questions sometimes. Getting sidetracked with a tangent.

I think it's certainly possible. There's definitely a chance. I would also easily believe that the indie mii costumes had similar cases, being only asked a non-fighter tier.

However, I will keep my faith that she still could make it in. Because why add a jpeg of her and Risky and not the rest of the main cast? They dont even need stages, just be available from shops. Shovel Knight has several of the other knights as spirits.

Plus, there's no way she would have gotten in for the base game. The fanbase loves arguing transformations vs pirate gear as it is. A game with transformations styled like pirate gear (aka fusions) was going to happen for the next game. And that new style would be more transferable for smash, way more marketable. It would make more sense to go "advertise current game as a spirit > push new one down the line as Fighter DLC".

So yes, "only was asked to be a spirit" is very likely. But between the time frame of DLC matching up with a new game better than the base game with HGH, and the fact everything between the two companies is very hush hush right now, I'm way too suspicious to think it's only a spirit call.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Indeed. Why only shantae and risky amd not a few others if they planned for her only as a spirit. Again, not the most compelling evidence, but i have hope.

Now, have 3 shantae pictures i found on twitter.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Indeed. Why only shantae and risky amd not a few others if they planned for her only as a spirit. Again, not the most compelling evidence, but i have hope.

Now, have 3 shantae pictures i found on twitter.

Shantae is pretending to us that she isn't a playable character in the DLC lineup when she really is. ;)

zferolie

Smash Hero
So i think this has been talked about but whatever. What mii costumes will come with Shantae? I think we see a good pattern of mii costumes so far. Seems like we get 2-3 costumes tied to the publisher of the character if they are a thirs party, 2 random ones, and maybe 1 indie. Here are my picks.

Risky boots swordfighter.
Squid Baron Hat
Patricia wagon gunner
Rathalos armor swordfighter
Heihatchi brawler
Lilac (freedom planet) brawler with music (dragon valley)

I think those would be good picks. Risky boots i feel is more of a sword fighter then gunner, and squid baron hat would be amusing. I feel Patricia is wayforwards next biggest character after shantae so her as a gunner feels like a solid choice. Lilac from freedom planet i would love to see playable, but her as a mii costume with that awesome music is a fine option too.

Now here are 2 more shantae art i found.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You know with this whole Corona virus thing going on, just hearing anymore news about Seven Sirens alone would brighten my spirits up. Of course I want to know the release date for Seven Sirens and of course I want Shantae in Smash, but just any good news these days is good enough for me.

Dukefire

Smash Master
With no fresh news in the ongoing drought, I'm pretty much ready for news. Of course, the virus situation worldwide is making more tougher to endure.

zferolie

Smash Hero
ARMS fighter is cool. It really bumps Shantae's chances for sure, as Every ARMS fighter was either an AT, Spirit, or Mii COstume. This proves they can be upgraded, killing shantae's biggest hurdle

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So it turns out the ARMS crew obliterated the spirits decofirm theory, cause like all the likely candidates ARE spirits. Damn.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
ARMS fighter is cool. It really bumps Shantae's chances for sure, as Every ARMS fighter was either an AT, Spirit, or Mii COstume. This proves they can be upgraded, killing shantae's biggest hurdle
Actually, only Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Ninjara and Twintelle were represented in some way in SSBU. There's still 10 other ARMS fighters they can potentially use as a Smash fighter so let's not get ahead of ourselves here; although IMO, it wouldn't make sense not to make Spring Man playable since he's considered the face of the game.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Who knows? They did show all 15 characters in the game of ARMS, so anything is possible with early Summer heating it up.
Screenshot_20200326-093028_YouTube.jpg

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Who knows? They did show all 15 characters in the game of ARMS, so anything is possible with early Summer heating it up.
Some people elsewhere are speculating that the new fighter will be from an unannounced sequel.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
The arms thing is interesting, because no matter who it is, one current "rule" will be broken. Either a new game will get there only character and it won't be the series mascot, or an additional trophy will get upgraded in the game they were introduced in.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Its gonna be a Bowser Jr. Situation notice how they showed off multiple characters right after revealing it was an ARMS character. They could all be swaps of each other and it would still work

zferolie

Smash Hero
Its gonna be a Bowser Jr. Situation notice how they showed off multiple characters right after revealing it was an ARMS character. They could all be swaps of each other and it would still work
Are there 8 characters with simular body types though? I know there are at least 4 though, Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, MinMin, and Ninjara.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Are there 8 characters with simular body types though? I know there are at least 4 though, Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, MinMin, and Ninjara.
What a coincidence all of those four are in Smash currently in some way

Dukefire

Smash Master
Like The Hero trailer that 4 characters with the same moveset were worked into one with each Hero having an Alt.
Screenshot_20200326-095219_YouTube.jpg

Then again, each ARMS boxer holds a unique ability of their own other then the rush attack. So Sakurai may be choosing on that rather then Hero's case

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
That is very likely, but they showed 15 characters which would dwarf the current limit on chacter alts. I imagine it will probably be the for easiest to translate the same moveset to: likely Spring man, Robin girl, Min min and Ningara. Other characters would be harder to make the same, some being too big hit box wise(mummy} some not actually fighting with their arms making their models not live up with attacks well(twintelle) and some having very unique gimmicks (like the constable with his dog sidekick)

Last edited:
Top Bottom