• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staarih

Smash Master
The lack of any shantae news is driving her to drink!

Edit: in case image doesnt load: https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/783/867/bbd.jpg

So what day should we hear about this rumored indie direct?
Today, apparently:

Wonder if Seven Sirens will show up.
And if the rumors are correct, a general Direct should happen next week. We’ll see about that.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Gen 5 as well. And get 2 is only represented because if Pichu which almost doesn't count.
Well, that's what you get for sharing the spotlight with previous generation. Gen 2 mons have barely any standouts, let alone ones that can easily be made playable.

Pichu does highlight the baby Pokemon and breeding introduced there, however.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Today, apparently:

And if the rumors are correct, a general Direct should happen next week. We’ll see about that.
It should, new fiscal year's approaching soon, so the time for procrastination is running out. Also, where Nindies go, Directs follow shortly afterwards.

Not guaranteeing Seven Sirens though, seeing how WF does things differently from other indies. If it does show up, I'll see you on the other side.

Until then, I'm off again.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Today, apparently:

I hope Seven Sirens is there and I would go out of my mind if we see a Shantae Smash reveal there even though I HIGHLY don't expect it at all.

Remember guys:

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Today, apparently:

Oh wow. If i just waited a few minutes i would have seen this haha.

I hope we get seven sirens news, and my pie in the sky is shantae smash reveal. I do hope we see silksong news

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well let's hope WayForward presents some new Seven Sirens info tomorrow.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Well, what a relief to have some actual news on the horizon. A Direct proper will likely follow shortly after the Nindies, so as not to over shadow the games by smaller teams with the big announcements.

That said, I honestly wouldn;t be surprised if Seven Sirens skips the Nindies direct to be featured in the regular Direct. With how little NIntendo has shared about this years games, it's easy to assume that they don't have a lot of in house games (or at least big scale ones) to show off for the coming year. And another rumor said that this year the big N was going to be relying heavily on remakes and ports.

If that's the case, I could definitely see Nintendo wanting to include some of the more high profile indies games in their full Direct to bolster the presentation. I could see Shantae and the next Shovel Knight game showing up there instead of the Nindies for this reason (Heck, matbe they even made a deal with Toby Fox to get to be the first place to show off news of the rest of Deltarune)

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well, what a relief to have some actual news on the horizon. A Direct proper will likely follow shortly after the Nindies, so as not to over shadow the games by smaller teams with the big announcements.

That said, I honestly wouldn;t be surprised if Seven Sirens skips the Nindies direct to be featured in the regular Direct. With how little NIntendo has shared about this years games, it's easy to assume that they don't have a lot of in house games (or at least big scale ones) to show off for the coming year. And another rumor said that this year the big N was going to be relying heavily on remakes and ports.

If that's the case, I could definitely see Nintendo wanting to include some of the more high profile indies games in their full Direct to bolster the presentation. I could see Shantae and the next Shovel Knight game showing up there instead of the Nindies for this reason (Heck, matbe they even made a deal with Toby Fox to get to be the first place to show off news of the rest of Deltarune)
I could see shantae not appear at nondies. Honestly wayforward doesnt appear much on nindies for some reason. Maybe they are too big for it? Who knows.

Still if they dont appear there, but then appear on the general direct at surprising leads to shantae reveal, I'll go nuts.

Have another shantae art guys

Dukefire

Smash Master
If they don't appear in either announcement, then they will broadcast the information on their own terms. Still, lets not think about it yet since potential news is coming up.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I could see shantae not appear at nondies. Honestly wayforward doesnt appear much on nindies for some reason. Maybe they are too big for it? Who knows.

Still if they dont appear there, but then appear on the general direct at surprising leads to shantae reveal, I'll go nuts.

Have another shantae art guys

That may be one of the most adorable fan works of Shantae I have ever seen. Looks like it should be animated.

Anyway, I think we will definitely see some appearance of Seven Sirens either tomorrow or in a week or two when the proper Direct comes out. I really can't see WayForward being completely radios silent for nearly half a year after that first act of the game released for one very small portion of the player base.

Also with no E3 this year, I think we will see a lot of announcement that would probably be held off till June coming out whenever it becomes most convenient to the publishers.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I'll leave this Shantae artwork for today
Artist: MariiBoops
ddsgy9f-adaeb2d1-b821-4167-9e5d-834be2d03efe.png

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Crossing my fingers for more info on Seven Sirens tomorrow even if Wayforward typically doesn't feature their games for Indie World.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Here is the video to Indie World. Depending on your timezone, it will broadcast in 3 hours. I wouldn't expect WF to show up since they play it by their rules. Still, I will welcome it if it does happen.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So it sounds like maybe smash dlc is delayed, or some are, or not the reveals but the releases. Who knows. I honestly see the reveal still on time, but the release of even the first one delayed

Dukefire

Smash Master
Take this from Pushdustin with a Grain of Salt.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Less than an hour to go to the Indie World Direct!!!

Pray that SOME Seven Sirens news comes out.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Less than an hour to go to the Indie World Direct!!!

Pray that SOME Seven Sirens news comes out.
Me too. It's a low key possibility, but I really hope by some miracle we see a Shantae Smash reveal as well.

Edit: Damnit! Still no Seven Sirens news. At least Blue Fire and Baldo look interesting. I might check those games out.

Last edited:

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
Nothing on Seven Sirens unfortunately. The waiting game continues.

zferolie

Smash Hero
No shantae or silksong news, but i liked most of the indie games shown.

I am really surprised both team cherry and wayforward are being so quiet

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Nope, nada. Man do they not consider Shantae an indie anymore?

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
*Sigh* Wayforward making us wait again it seems. I wish they'd team up with Nintendo to promote their games at least for the publicity it would give them. I'm sure that the good reviews they've been getting from journalists have helped, but a lot of people don't scour review sites looking for indie games. They need a promotional platform other than their own Twitter.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
*Sigh* Wayforward making us wait again it seems. I wish they'd team up with Nintendo to promote their games at least for the publicity it would give them. I'm sure that the good reviews they've been getting from journalists have helped, but a lot of people don't scour review sites looking for indie games. They need a promotional platform other than their own Twitter.
Well they have been promoting Seven Sirens in Japanese theaters as well as certain American theaters I believe? I'm certain on the Japanese theaters though.

How long was their direct?
I think it was almost 30 minutes.

Last edited:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
The U.K stream had a bad case of King Crimson.

Let's see how Sean Murray and co. next game works out.

I wonder if the main Direct will have Seven Sirens news.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I liked the Indie World Direct a lot. I think it was a good move having so many of the developers introduce their projects on their own. Made everything feel more personal. And I have been looking forward to a lot of the games mentioned so it's nice to get some news on them (The Good Life looks so much better than when it was first being talked about)

As for Shantae, it's a bummer we didn't hear anything about her latest adventure, but I think it still may be just because they are holding on to her for the General Direct. Unless Nintendo has a bunch of huge surprises that they have been holding onto till the last minute, they will need some stuff to fill out the direct run time so I could see them wanting to include the more high profile games for that.

I also can't ignore that this Direct had a sub theme of most of the games being "Timed console exclusives" Nintendo seems to be reaching out to indie devs even more which makes me wonder if they've reached out even more to other indie Devs. Maybe Way Forward hasn't said much about the console release for Seven Sirens because it will also be a timed Switch exclusive and they are letting Nintendo drop that news.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I liked the Indie World Direct a lot. I think it was a good move having so many of the developers introduce their projects on their own. Made everything feel more personal. And I have been looking forward to a lot of the games mentioned so it's nice to get some news on them (The Good Life looks so much better than when it was first being talked about)

As for Shantae, it's a bummer we didn't hear anything about her latest adventure, but I think it still may be just because they are holding on to her for the General Direct. Unless Nintendo has a bunch of huge surprises that they have been holding onto till the last minute, they will need some stuff to fill out the direct run time so I could see them wanting to include the more high profile games for that.

I also can't ignore that this Direct had a sub theme of most of the games being "Timed console exclusives" Nintendo seems to be reaching out to indie devs even more which makes me wonder if they've reached out even more to other indie Devs. Maybe Way Forward hasn't said much about the console release for Seven Sirens because it will also be a timed Switch exclusive and they are letting Nintendo drop that news.
Exit The Gungeon in particular has debuted on the Apple Arcade before getting the timed Switch exclusive treatment. Hmmm... Well, at the very least we might have the chance to experience Spidersaurs after all.

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
Maybe Shantae could still be one of the later Challenger Packs not ready to be shown yet if a reveal doesn't coincide with more Seven Sirens news?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Maybe Shantae could still be one of the later Challenger Packs not ready to be shown yet if a reveal doesn't coincide with more Seven Sirens news?
Perhaps. But with Seven Sirens coming out in the Spring I kind of expect Shantae to be one of the first 3 fighters in the Pass if she is in it at all. Either way, the sooner the better if she is in.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So there was another game in the indie showcase I kinda glanced over as it was just in the sizzle real. Bounty Brawler. And its another Indie fighting colable... And guess who doesn't show up again.

Staarih

Smash Master
So there was another game in the indie showcase I kinda glanced over as it was just in the sizzle real. Bounty Brawler. And its another Indie fighting colable... And guess who doesn't show up again.
I honestly kind of prefer not seeing Shantae in these sorts of collaborations, sort of keeps her value in a sense? At the cost of more appearances, I guess, so maybe a few collabs here and there would do, but still. That game looks interesting though, I’m surprised I didn’t see Shovel Knight in there (yet).

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I honestly kind of prefer not seeing Shantae in these sorts of collaborations, sort of keeps her value in a sense? At the cost of more appearances, I guess, so maybe a few collabs here and there would do, but still. That game looks interesting though, I’m surprised I didn’t see Shovel Knight in there (yet).
Maybe it's still early, but... It just feels off for me. Mostly it's the characters that feel somewhat lifeless. Especially Gully, who for some reason looks like a brooding teenager instead of a cheerful child. They know they could have picked Garrison if they wanted that look, right?

The aesthetic is also kind of dark and gritty. Not mutually exclusive from color as we see with Juan, but Shantae, and maybe even Shovel Knight just don't look like they'd really fit here.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I got some somber news to share with you all, gentlemen.
However, it's to keep Sakurai and his team safe from this pandemic. If he were to continue working and to end up passing away because of this damned plague, it would weigh heavily on my heart.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I got some somber news to share with you all, gentlemen.
However, it's to keep Sakurai and his team safe from this pandemic. If he were to continue working and to end up passing away because of this damned plague, it would weigh heavily on my heart.
I haven't seen anything saying the first character is delayed, or the announcment. just current work is slowing down and may stop. Pretty sure the first character would have been near finished by the time this was written, so we should still get a reveal undelayed.

However, they said Sakurai has had trouble flying to developers to talk to them. It makes me think maybe he can't fly to America to talk to wayforward wink wink nudge nudge

Dukefire

Smash Master
Hope to see something next week with the virus not taking problems to another level.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
However, they said Sakurai has had trouble flying to developers to talk to them. It makes me think maybe he can't fly to America to talk to wayforward wink wink nudge nudge
But he already went to WayForward a couple of years ago to secure the rights for Shantae to get her Spirit so I don't see why he has to do it again to make her a fighter. I'm sure Nintendo could just call WayForward about making her a fighter and WayForward would be like: "Yes! Yes!! YES!!!".

zferolie

Smash Hero
But he already went to WayForward a couple of years ago to secure the rights for Shantae to get her Spirit so I don't see why he has to do it again to make her a fighter. I'm sure Nintendo could just call WayForward about making her a fighter and WayForward would be like: "Yes! Yes!! YES!!!".
It sounds like Sakurai likes face to face meetings, according to the article

Top Bottom