• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
It is weird how little Seven Sirens has been talked about these past few months. How well did it even do on Apple Arcade?
Probably to not make the sales of that Vitamin game suffer. But still it is weird that they had the game announced for a 2019 release, only to be delayed on the day of the game awards no less & finally not talk about it for over a month since.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Probably to not make the sales of that Vitamin game suffer. But still it is weird that they had the game announced for a 2019 release, only to be delayed on the day of the game awards no less & finally not talk about it for over a month since.
I wish the reason for the long delay was so Seven Sirens release would line up closer with a Shantae Smash reveal.

But remember guys we got to:

kazoka122

Smash Cadet
So I've been thinking. Since the base shantae spirits are shantae (her 1/2 genie design) and Risky Boots, while Shovel knight has 4 knights along with an assist trophy...What's stopping them from either

A. Adding the missing gang (like Rotty tops/Sky/Bolo) along with the new half genies from the new game coming out as her own spirit board

B. Making a spirit event with the half genies?

I'm leaning towards A since it makes more sense for why Shantae doesn't have much spirits for the base game.

It really doesn't make sense why they didn't give her an assist trophy but gave Shovel Knight one with 5 spirits.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
So I've been thinking. Since the base shantae spirits are shantae (her 1/2 genie design) and Risky Boots, while Shovel knight has 4 knights along with an assist trophy...What's stopping them from either

A. Adding the missing gang (like Rotty tops/Sky/Bolo) along with the new half genies from the new game coming out as her own spirit board

B. Making a spirit event with the half genies?

I'm leaning towards A since it makes more sense for why Shantae doesn't have much spirits for the base game.

It really doesn't make sense why they didn't give her an assist trophy but gave Shovel Knight one with 5 spirits.
Oh, right. Forgot that Shield Knight was one along the Four Knights. But it's still just weird all around. Why would there only be a Shantae and a Risky Boots spirit if there's also Shantae's Friends, alongside Uncle Mimic when they're also pretty important to the plot loreside.

In all honesty, though, here's a Valentine eCard for you all:
shantae_valentine_card.png

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Here is a Shantae Artwork for Valentine's Day
Artist: JaysonBlade
heart_to_you_by_jaysonblade_ddqe6mq-pre.jpg

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Not sure if anyone say but WayForward put a new artwork celebrate Valentines day.

That's from 2014.

THIS is their 2020 Valentine's Day artwork.
WayForward Valentine's Day 2020

Last edited:

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
That's from 2014.

THIS is their 2020 Valentine's Day artwork.
WayForward Valentine's Day 2020
Okay this is weird. Not using the mascot? At this point I think Shantae is coming to Smash as a Fighter. It's not a matter of IF but WHEN.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Okay this is weird. Not using the mascot? At this point I think Shantae is coming to Smash as a Fighter. It's not a matter of IF but WHEN.
Its just cause new IP with a boy/girl duo.

kazoka122

Smash Cadet
This game comes out the 20th so they are advertising the hell out of it. Nothing to do with her appearance in smash =).

That said, once this game is over and done with, they are going to push Shantae 5 HARD. Probably starting March

Dukefire

Smash Master
This game comes out the 20th so they are advertising the hell out of it. Nothing to do with her appearance in smash =).

That said, once this game is over and done with, they are going to push Shantae 5 HARD. Probably starting March
Are you sure its Feb 20?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The Shantae energy within me is growing stronger and stronger
Does the music for the battles change too? Or is it on disc and buying the Cuphead outfit just unlocks it for general use?

Also, they pulled the renaming stunt again with The Devil, to separate both Devil World (the assist) and Cuphead versions.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Out of curiosity and to pass time, what was your jump in logic to reach that point? Versus "new game, advertise it like crazy".

Which battles get changed then?

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Out of curiosity and to pass time, what was your jump in logic to reach that point? Versus "new game, advertise it like crazy".

Which battles get changed then?
As Toy already said: Every Cuphead spirit gets to use Floral Fury. Otherwise, IIRC, they use more jazzy music and Cuphead and Mugman gets replaced by Red and Bright Blue Megaman, respectively.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The question is, if a spirit promotion happens, would they actually bother to update the spirit battles currently in the game? It would not be hard to ignore them while still incorporating them as newly added fighters.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
The question is, if a spirit promotion happens, would they actually bother to update the spirit battles currently in the game? It would not be hard to ignore them while still incorporating them as newly added fighters.
I'm more curious if they'll change the series icon of spirits that are currently miscellaneous.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
And yet, looking at some of the replies to that Tweet, I saw so many people still arguing against it.
Saying things like "then they would have to change Shantae into a Fighter Spirit, if she becomes playable. So no, Spirit still deconfirm.".

Why are people constantly thinking in such arbitrary limitations?
What's preventing the devs from creating a new Fighter Spirit, using a different artwork of the character, while leaving the original Spirit untouched?
Heck, Shantae makes it even easier for the devs. Since her design changes every game.

Of course, naysayers would be completely oblivious to that fact, since they never played her games or even looked into her series.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
And yet, looking at some of the replies to that Tweet, I saw so many people still arguing against it.
Saying things like "then they would have to change Shantae into a Fighter Spirit, if she becomes playable. So no, Spirit still deconfirm.".

Why are people constantly thinking in such arbitrary limitations?
What's preventing the devs from creating a new Fighter Spirit, using a different artwork of the character, while leaving the original Spirit untouched?
Heck, Shantae makes it even easier for the devs. Since her design changes every game.

Of course, naysayers would be completely oblivious to that fact, since they never played her games or even looked into her series.
Because, at the end of it all, they fear her. They fear a "nobody" getting in over their god or goddess. And as the old Yoda addage goes: fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to misery.

However, it's also something to say about us as a collective. A lot of us may hope for Shantae to make it and only be disappointed when she doesn't, though a select few from our cloth are just as capable of vile hatred as the same type of people who want to put us down for the sake of their own amusement. And the same applies to everyone else, regardless if they wanted Shovel Knight or Steve or Lara Croft or anybody else. Most of their people are good people who are the same as us: excited as all Hell, but their minorities (eg. the loud asshats) ruins it for the rest of us.

Last edited:

Bradevit

Smash Rookie
Hopefully the next DLC character will be revealed in the next Nintendo Direct or at E3 2020.
This could be Shantae if we are lucky (Seven Sirens is sceduled to be released in Spring 2020).
Remember: Byleth was shown mid January, but they recorded everything in (let's assume end of) November (due to holidays).
I just hope that Sakurai & his team got a big fat break.

In any case, I'm happy that my wishlist DLC fighters get new games. Can't say that for every candidate.
I'll definitely be playing as Shantae (and Travis Touchdown). The question is if this will be limited to their games (Shantae and the Seven Sirens, No More Heroes 3) or not (looking at you, Smash Ultimate!).

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
I think they would only do that if that series got more than enough new spirits to warrant their own section.
That's easy, Rotty, Skye, Bolo, and Mimic would be required and more than enough to warrant a new icon, that'd be a total of 6 characters. Wayforward even made the cute little genie lamp to be one (that I spent 2+ years not realizing it was even on that smash ballot image). Plus, there's characters like Twitch and Vinegar, Squid Baron (still theorizing him as SS Big Bad), and Rotty's brothers, if they didnt just do the new SS half genies.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
That's easy, Rotty, Skye, Bolo, and Mimic would be required and more than enough to warrant a new icon, that'd be a total of 6 characters. Wayforward even made the cute little genie lamp to be one (that I spent 2+ years not realizing it was even on that smash ballot image). Plus, there's characters like Twitch and Vinegar, Squid Baron (still theorizing him as SS Big Bad), and Rotty's brothers, if they didnt just do the new SS half genies.
Don't forget that if all else fails, a Legend-based Spirits could be group-based, like with the Phantom Thieves in the Persona Spirit Board. So you could have a Shantae and Friends Spirit, if they don't decide to add in more WayForward based Spirits, like Patty Wagon, among others.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Because, at the end of it all, they fear her. They fear a "nobody" getting in over their god or goddess. And as the old Yoda addage goes: fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to misery.
Exactly! Certain people will play bias with their favorite character no matter what. They will criticise any characters that get in that they don't like and will say **** like they stole their favorite characters slots and ****. Fan rules have no limit and people will go out of their way to try to deconfirm characters they don't like no matter what lol!

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well we shall see come Fighter Number 6 what Sakurai(and Nintendo) decides which characters are worth the price.

Hopefully Shantae is one of them.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Been roaming the Internet for a while and boy are people starting to get hungry for the next announcement. Not like I'm not wanting to see the next one and its not truly over the top.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Well we shall see come Fighter Number 6 what Sakurai(and Nintendo) decides which characters are worth the price.

Hopefully Shantae is one of them.
I doubt WayForward would demand a huge sum for Shantae. Heck, I bet some of those guys would be willing to pay Nintendo to get her in there! Lots of Smash fans who don't play Shantae would probably buy Seven Sirens, if she made it, so their investment would pay off. WayForward has been even less shy than Rare about wanting their characters in Smash.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, who's up for an SFM Shantae?
Keep an eye on this animator for more complete animations.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Hey guys, who's up for an SFM Shantae?
Keep an eye on this animator for more complete animations.
I love any reference to the work of Tex Avery.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I doubt WayForward would demand a huge sum for Shantae. Heck, I bet some of those guys would be willing to pay Nintendo to get her in there! Lots of Smash fans who don't play Shantae would probably buy Seven Sirens, if she made it, so their investment would pay off. WayForward has been even less shy than Rare about wanting their characters in Smash.
Yeah, I agree. I believe WayForward would give the Shantae license to Sakurai to put her nto Smash Bros. free of charge. I can't think of any other company during the Smash Ballot that wanted their character in the game more than WayForward. They design their own franchise logo for her with the lamp and they made a bunch of alternate costumes for their campaign for her during the Smash Ballot.

zferolie

Smash Hero
new papagenos papagenos video, talking about the MIA direct and spirits being upgraded!

I plan to watch this a little later, getting ready for work atm, but I still bank on shantae and Geno being the 2 most likely spirits to get upgraded

zferolie

Smash Hero
Direct for Animal Crossing New Horizon is confirmed.
Not surprising. given when the game is coming out. But still we know nothing for any other nintendo game coming out this year, and thats nuts

Dukefire

Smash Master
Not surprising. given when the game is coming out. But still we know nothing for any other nintendo game coming out this year, and thats nuts
Its a filler before the next one coming soon I guess. Better for something rather then nothing

zferolie

Smash Hero
Its a filler before the next one coming soon I guess. Better for something rather then nothing
Oh I'm not upset this is the direct, just still shocked we havent been told anything about nintendos plans past animal crossing for this year. The only thing is pokemon dlc

Dukefire

Smash Master
Oh I'm not upset this is the direct, just still shocked we havent been told anything about nintendos plans past animal crossing for this year. The only thing is pokemon dlc
I do think they will put up a General Direct soon after Animal Crossing is finished. Like in a week or two.

zferolie

Smash Hero
so sakurai's famitsu article has leaked, and he talks about the this fighters pass a bit.

There are no other plans for any more dlc after these 6 fighters, Nintendo picked them again, and there are no further smash entries planned.

Dukefire

Smash Master
This does mean now fans will be very scared and desperate as the numbers of open spots go down. At least now we know DLC will end in two years for Sakurai to finally have his long break.

Last edited:
Top Bottom