• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ive been hear this about sources but it seems to keep tieing back to 1 guy. I really think sora has no chance thank to disney, but i think i want to hear a few different people or sources about it

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
I dunno, Nintendo Enthusiast reported on it.
No one is "dead" until we hear from official channels otherwise.

Some guy on a podcast does not an official channel make.

When will this community follow evidence/facts and not Hearsay/speculation?

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well if I had to guess I bet Sora won't be in due to the fact that Nintendo will then expect a Kingdom Hearts game(probably the collection that has all but KH3) to come to the Nintendo Switch. If Disney/Square has yet to even show the Switch the love then getting Sora in Smash would not work to benefit Nintendo. We got lucky that Persona 5 Scramble turned out to be a literal sequel to the original version of Persona 5. So Joker's inclusion made sense.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well if I had to guess I bet Sora won't be in due to the fact that Nintendo will then expect a Kingdom Hearts game(probably the collection that has all but KH3) to come to the Nintendo Switch. If Disney/Square has yet to even show the Switch the love then getting Sora in Smash would not work to benefit Nintendo. We got lucky that Persona 5 Scramble turned out to be a literal sequel to the original version of Persona 5. So Joker's inclusion made sense.
What's Banjo's excuse then? And don't tell me 64 because we've also had a Persona game with Joker in it on 3DS with Q2.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I bet it actually has more to do with Nintendo setting up the Nintendo World theme park in Universal Studios instead of Disney Land/World.

Also well on the topic of Sora being decofirmed, it was Imran Khan the former senior editor of Game Informer that said in a podcast that Nintendo absolutely has probably already approach Disney of Japan about Sora and they probably said no. Some other guy asked him does he think Disney is keeping Sora out of Smash? and he responded with yes, but Disney of Japan. The guy while being a former senior editor of one of the biggest gaming magazines in the west and having deep connections within the industry probably more than likely was just speculating whether than leaking out behind the scenes info. After he said that, almost everyone took it as fact on the Internet that Sora is out of the race even though that really isn't any solid evidence to suggest that to be the case.

Last edited:

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
I bet it actually has more to do with Nintendo setting up the Nintendo World theme park in Universal Studios instead of Disney Land/World.

Also well on the topic of Sora being decofirmed, it was Imran Khan the former senior editor of Game Informer that said in a podcast that Nintendo absolutely has probably already approach Disney of Japan about Sora and they probably said no. Some other guy asked him does he think Disney is keeping Sora out of Smash? and he responded with yes, but Disney of Japan. The guy while being a former senior editor of one of the biggest gaming magazines in the west and having deep connections within the industry probably more than likely was just speculating whether than leaking out behind the scenes info. After he said that, almost everyone took it as fact on the Internet that Sora is out of the race even though that really isn't any solid evidence to suggest that to be the case.
YOOOO!
You got be torqued for Nintendo-Land; the Mario Bumper Karts, Pikachu-Coaster, Donkey Carousel, Zelda-Park, Splatoon based paintball fights... I'm there.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Its looking like another week without a nintendo direct, unless it gets announced tommorow. Also Cuphead got a spirit pack now. which mkes me feel like as long as Shantae hasn't gotten a spirit pack yet she is still on the table!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Its looking like another week without a nintendo direct, unless it gets announced tommorow. Also Cuphead got a spirit pack now. which mkes me feel like as long as Shantae hasn't gotten a spirit pack yet she is still on the table!
Yeah, all of this Indie content with the Shovel Knight Assist Trophy, Sans and Cuphead Mii costumes, Shovel Knight, Shantae, and Cuphead Spirits almost makes it hard to ignore the possibility of us getting a Indie rep. I truly believe Shantae or Reimu will get the Indie slot if we do get one in this game.

Last edited:

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
People taking liberties with paraphrasing and inserting their own interpretation, even the article written on Sora being canceled phrased it as Disney vetoing Sora, when that was never stated.
I prefer use of exact wording and context. Hence a transcript on that segment below.
26:46 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLg0CVc5vrk

Imran is wearing a blue shirt.
Imran - “Alright, Ima go with something more specific this time. For Smash Brothers, I don’t know if this is gonna be 2020 or within the next —cuz the fighter pass has just been revealed, so Ima count it as this year, I think we either get Master Chief or Sora.

Guy on far left (Tim) - “OH it’s an OR situation.

Imran - “Yes. I think it’s one of those two. I think this fighter pass probably has one big anchor, it’s gonna be one of those two characters.

Guy left of Imran (Blessing) - “If Master Chief is revealed, I’m eating this cup. I can I cannot see it. Sora would be awesome.”

Imran - “I mean Banjo is in that game, like…”

Blessing - “Yeah, but I feel like Banjo ha-i— Banjo…I feel like Japanese audiences accept Banjo a bit more cuz I feel like Banjo is Banjo”

Imran - “They don’t know who the **** he is.”

Tim - “Yeah, no I don’t think so”.

Blessing - “Wait, really? They weren’t playing on the N64 back then?”

Imran - “I mean the game came out, but no one really like…”

Blessing- “I think Master Chief is even way more foreign though.”

Tim - “Yeah but like, I feel this fighter—like the fighter pass we just saw proved that doesn’t matter at all.”

Blessing - “Really.”

Tim - “Like getting Banjo is kinda like, ‘Yo there’s simply no rules’ ”

Blessing - “Interesting”.

Tim - “Especially even now with like they’re Miis, but Sans and Cuphead, it’s like—I feel like Sakurai is just like ‘I just want representation of different games’.

Imran - “Yeah.”

Guy off camera in nasally voice - “Excuse me it’s SANS. Like Comic Sans.”

Blessing - “I still would be shocked to see Master Chief.”

Tim - “I would be shocked to see either of them.”

Imran - “Yeah.”

Tim - “I expect both. I feel like, there is such discourse around the remaining characters and like smash like who would even be hype anymore. And it’s like we have so few people that like hit on that level, and Sakurai is saying that they already chose it, I really think that the conversations happened for Sora. The conversations happened for Chief.”

Imran - “Yeah no they absolutely approached Disney about it once.”

Tim - “So it’s like, will this go down? I don’t know, but…”

Blessing - “Ya think Disney [is] keeping Sora from being in Smash?”

Imran - “Yes, Disney Japan specifically.”

Tim - “I think it’s gonna happen, I think both, but I like where your head’s at.”

Imran - “ I think Master Chief is the probably the bigger ‘holy ****’ moment, like Sora shows up there and it’s like ‘OH! It’s cool, they got him, I’m surprised they did that.’ “

Tim- “Sora would break the internet man.”

Blessing - “I feel like, yeah no, I think like—I feel Sora would pop o—I think Master Chief would be more impressive if they got, if they got him in. Or like, not even impressive, but like, I’d be shocked at that decision, but Sora as like a moment, I feel like would pop off.

Tim - “Sora would just be insane. The kingdom hearts fan base and smash reveal fan base are like so—they’re huge.”

Blessing - “Yeah, that Venn diagram too…”

Imran - “They are two fanbases like invest emotionally very heavily into these two franchises. Master Chief I think, is just more popular in general. Like maybe it’s eased off over the last like couple of years because Halo is not been on the up and up, but I think like when if they did show Master Chief it’d be like this huge ‘holy **** this is everything except Sony into this one game’. I mean that’s true.”

Tim - “Well I mean, Snake and Cloud, yeah.”

Imran - “Except it even does still have some Sony cuz like Snake, Cloud, yeah, Joker…”

Blessing - “Which do you feel would get the bigger response from like the ‘Nintendo and why’ store ?”

Tim- “Sora.”

Blessing - “That’s what I think too.”

Guy on far right (Greg) - “I agree I agree I mean I mean you get bigger headlines with Master Chief.”

Tim - “Yeah, I mean, yes and no. It’s like What does bigger headline mean? More comments on the article? More views? You know what I mean? Like I feel like there’d be more discussion in the IGN, uh, pool of people for Master Chief. There’d be way more comments, way more discussion about Sora, on the Internet, like the amount of, the size of a thread on Reset Era, would be two times three times as long for Sora than Master Chief.”

Greg - “To be clear, Sora is this clown from Kingdom Hearts. No Master Chief is way bigger. It just is an icon. Like that’s enough—the comment thread sure, the Reset Era sure, I’m with ya on that, but the fact that just the people who understand and don’t even play games that much any more understand that like the Smash brothers is a Nintendo thing, and this is the face of Xbox, he’s coming over and doing this, that would make waves that way. I think you have a chance of being on Good Morning America or whatever as like the blip talk, I mean it’s like ****ing thing that has a key blade, uh, from this game is here, I don’t remember who that , I don’t know — ”

Imran - “I think Master Chief also—“

Greg - “ Give me a line up with Sora I’ll pick Tifa, it doesn’t matter.”

Imran - “I think Master chief—Master chief goes along with what Microsoft is trying to do say like ‘hey we’re democratizing our games now, they can be anywhere. If you wanna play Halo it can be on any system you want to play it on. So by saying ‘hey we’re also putting Master Chief in Smash Brothers’, there’s also rumors of a Master Chief collection on the Switch like that seems like it dove tails pretty well.”

Tim - “ I mean, I’m in I love it.”
But basically...you find just from the title of the video, 2020 Video Game Predictions implying speculation. Secondly, Imran said at the very beginning he thinks the anchor for the DLC is either Sora or Master Chief, which undermines the whole notion that Sora has no chance anymore since the guy who has the information is making that prediction. Thirdly, the exact quote in question in context with no spin on it for clicks....

"
Tim - “I expect both. I feel like, there is such discourse around the remaining characters and like smash like who would even be hype anymore. And it’s like we have so few people that like hit on that level, and Sakurai is saying that they already chose it, I really think that the conversations happened for Sora. The conversations happened for Chief.”

Imran - “Yeah no they absolutely approached Disney about it once.”

Tim - “So it’s like, will this go down? I don’t know, but…”

Blessing - “Ya think Disney [is] keeping Sora from being in Smash?”

Imran - “Yes, Disney Japan specifically.”
"

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
'Sigh' No Direct announcement today. We might be waiting until March for a Nintendo Direct. Good for us at least that we are getting a Nindies presentation that month as well as maybe the announcement of the release date of Seven Sirens.

zferolie

Smash Hero
This is the longest we have went without a direct ever. Almost half a year without a direct. Thats nuts. Well no general direct.

Also it is looking like nintendo wont be at e3 either.... thats nuts

Dukefire

Smash Master
Not wanting to take a guess with the current events been going on, but I can say that's Nintendo's move we are going to wait for
Screenshot_20200209-215924_YouTube.jpg

Still, at least the Sonic Movie is coming on Valentine's Day. So there is something to occupy for a while.
Screenshot_20200212-105600_YouTube.jpg

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
We got lucky that Persona 5 Scramble turned out to be a literal sequel to the original version of Persona 5. So Joker's inclusion made sense.
I'm still upset P5S apparently isn't a big crossover with P4, P3, and maybe even P2 characters. I wanted Lisa and Chie to finally meet and become kung fu gal pals, dammit!

Also it is looking like nintendo wont be at e3 either.... thats nuts
No, they are. They've already said that they are. GameXplain said they weren't, but that was a mistake (they've already issued a correction).

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
All the Shantae merchandise coming out like the Totaku figure and the Funko POP figure is strongly reminding me of all the Banjo-Kazooie merchandise that came out last year up until their E3 Smash reveal. I really hope this is a sign that Shantae is getting into Smash because she deserves more recognition. I think it's not a coincidence that all this Shantae merchandise is all coming out very close together.

Either:

1. WayForward is going to try to make Seven Sirens the best selling game in the series and not just that, but in a really BIG way. Remember when Seven Sirens was being advertise in Japanese theaters? I think that shows they're really pushing the game and Shantae's popularity up if anything.

2. WayForward/Matt Bozon have already negotiated again with Nintendo and Nintendo/Sakurai is allowing her to join Smash Bros. as a fighter. WayForward knowning this are pushing out all the Shantae merchandise and Seven Sirens advertisements in theaters close to Shantae's reveal in Smash.

3. Both.

Honestly, option 1 is the most likely but I really want to see Shantae get in so that she becomes the talk of the town and her popularity and games skyrocket to the moon.

Last edited:

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
All the Shantae merchandise coming out like the Totaku figure and the Funko POP figure is strongly reminding me of all the Banjo-Kazooie merchandise that came out last year up until their E3 Smash reveal. I really hope this is a sign that Shantae is getting into Smash because she deserves more recognition. I think it's not a coincidence that all this Shantae merchandise is all coming out very close together.

Either:

1. WayForward is going to try to make Seven Sirens the best selling game in the series and not just that, but in a really BIG way. Remember when Seven Sirens was being advertise in Japanese theaters? I think that shows they're really pushing the game and Shantae's popularity up if anything.

2. WayForward/Matt Bozon have already negotiated again with Nintendo and Nintendo/Sakurai is allowing her to join Smash Bros. as a fighter. WayForward knowning this are pushing out all the Shantae merchandise and Seven Sirens advertisements in theaters close to Shantae's reveal in Smash.

3. Both.

Honestly, option 1 is the most likely but I really want to see Shantae get in so that she becomes the talk of the town and her popularity and games skyrocket to the moon.
I've said it a while back, but I'll say it again; Shantae has always been pulling the short straw in my eyes. People glance over her and cast her aside so easily. But the people that do look into it never dislike it and more often than not end up loving it. I really don't want to see them pull another short straw with Smash here...
I agree with you though, I do feel that there's a fair marketing push from WayForward to get Shantae some more exposure. I'm really curious what got this push going. However, since it's mainly Nintendo calling the shots and not as much Sakurai himself, I've grown a bit doubtfull of it potentially being Smash.
Now with the Cuphead spirit-event I've been getting a bit antsy that we might get the same treatment... I personally don't see a Mii-costume happening (doesn't fit the model, would be incredibly awkward and doesn't really fit any of the roles well) other than to force in a track or two. And her becoming a fighter might be a long shot.
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed though. Hopefully this gentle trickle of indie-love in smash is building up to something for our genie girl.

Also, I've humored the idea that it was James that came with the idea to push 'Shantae for Smash' (He's a big Smash fan after all). Something good must have come from it, which then led to WayForward letting him release his own game; Vitamin Connection. (and probably the marketing push). Ofcourse this isn't based on anything but my own hunch that he has a bigger role in this XD

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I've said it a while back, but I'll say it again; Shantae has always been pulling the short straw in my eyes. People glance over her and cast her aside so easily. But the people that do look into it never dislike it and more often than not end up loving it. I really don't want to see them pull another short straw with Smash here...
I agree with you though, I do feel that there's a fair marketing push from WayForward to get Shantae some more exposure. I'm really curious what got this push going. However, since it's mainly Nintendo calling the shots and not as much Sakurai himself, I've grown a bit doubtfull of it potentially being Smash.
Now with the Cuphead spirit-event I've been getting a bit antsy that we might get the same treatment... I personally don't see a Mii-costume happening (doesn't fit the model, would be incredibly awkward and doesn't really fit any of the roles well) other than to force in a track or two. And her becoming a fighter might be a long shot.
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed though. Hopefully this gentle trickle of indie-love in smash is building up to something for our genie girl.

Also, I've humored the idea that it was James that came with the idea to push 'Shantae for Smash' (He's a big Smash fan after all). Something good must have come from it, which then led to WayForward letting him release his own game; Vitamin Connection. (and probably the marketing push). Ofcourse this isn't based on anything but my own hunch that he has a bigger role in this XD
Too many people overlook our half-genie hero and how well she did in the Smash Ballot. Geno while insanely popular in Brawl and Ultimate was at his lowest point in popularity within the Smash crowd during Smash 4 and Shantae I would kind of say was at her height. Too me, the big 4 in the Smash Ballot and all I saw the most mentioned and artwork for was K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, Shantae, and Shovel Knight. Two of them become playable characters while Shovel Knight got the Assist Trophy treatment. I expected Shantae to be snow globe if she didn't get the playable treatment, but it appears she wasn't as worthy as Shovel Knight to receive something like that unless they're planning her to be DLC at some point.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Its fun to speculate while passing the time. Just don't go too deep.
Screenshot_20200209-124151_YouTube.jpg

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Alright, looks like everything's cool now.

I don't want to be a downer, but I don't expect her to show up at this point; not unless literally any Spirit gets promoted. Always still supporting, nonetheless. I'm not really finding anything positive to go off; the Funko Pop Figure doesn't really convince me about anything Smash-related.

Hopefully the guy won't pounce on me just for saying that.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Until we have official news to start predicting the next challengers with Challenger 6, we are not going anywhere with Nintendo holding info till Spring starts.
Screenshot_20200116-085356_YouTube.jpg

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well we still can speculate. On that list we added the whole "announcing the delay on the day of the Game Awards" thing that left us confused. Why on that day and not a day earlier or later?

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Well we still can speculate. On that list we added the whole "announcing the delay on the day of the Game Awards" thing that left us confused. Why on that day and not a day earlier or later?
Either it was an impeccably timed coincidence, or the real deal.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I dont care who gets announced, nintendo needs to say something soon. They cannot think trying to sell this season pass with not a single character announced for it will fly. No other fighting game has done this, at least with such a big gap from announcment and purchase till they say at least the first character

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I dont care who gets announced, nintendo needs to say something soon. They cannot think trying to sell this season pass with not a single character announced for it will fly. No other fighting game has done this, at least with such a big gap from announcment and purchase till they say at least the first character
But they just did with the first one. Pass 2 hasn't been out for as long as 1 with no character announced yet. Or did Piranha Plant distract us that much?

zferolie

Smash Hero
But they just did with the first one. Pass 2 hasn't been out for as long as 1 with no character announced yet. Or did Piranha Plant distract us that much?
Plant did just that. Plus its coming pretty close to passing that amount of time. 1 more week should pass that

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
So the Funko pop figure is coming out April/May (says April, my Amazon preorder says May 2nd). When is the Totaku figure due to be released?

And second thought on that, when roughly was the Banjo merchandise noticed compared to E3 when he was revealed?

Can you not, with the gang up? That conversation is over.
So what the heck? <<
My fullest apologies. At the time I was just happy I didnt have to ramble for once. That post came off terrible though.

This is something that I've been meaning to bring up with the main speculation crowd. Not to say "yea she's totally in" but just a "this is something that's kind of weird. It should probably be something to keep in the back of your mind depending how things go".

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Plant did just that. Plus its coming pretty close to passing that amount of time. 1 more week should pass that
If anything, Nintendo makes more money off those who buy the packs individually because they didn't want to commit to the whole pass early. The types of people who would make that purchase don't need any convincing, and isn't it kind of manipulative to try and pretend there's a trend to the pass the way you're suggesting?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, Valentine's Day is tomorrow. From the Sonic Movie Thursday ad
Screenshot_20200213-223843_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20200213-223855_YouTube.jpg

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Remember, boys and girls, if Shantae doesn't get into Smash, we still have Seven Sirens to look forward to. It'd be one thing if she was like Banjo-Kazooie, where (as far as we know) it's Smash or nothing. So please don't be too disappointed if worst comes to worst.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Remember, boys and girls, if Shantae doesn't get into Smash, we still have Seven Sirens to look forward to. It'd be one thing if she was like Banjo-Kazooie, where (as far as we know) it's Smash or nothing. So please don't be too disappointed if worst comes to worst.
Yea? Im looking forward to Seven Sirens the most stacked with figures coming out. Smash is an afterthought. But paying attention to Nintendo stuff helps figure out Wayward. Like if a Nindie direct is in March then a couple weeks after that we might get there big trailer announcement and the game the following month.

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
It is weird how little Seven Sirens has been talked about these past few months. How well did it even do on Apple Arcade?

Top Bottom