• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
If there really is a nindies presentation mid march, Seven Sirens has to be a lock for at least a 2 minute spotlight. I doubt WayForward would just leave it with a one and done minute long trailer or not even show up at all. Heck, they might even want to show off Vitamin Connection.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
New Sakurai Famitsu colomn is out, and Sakurai says some interesting things.

https://www.siliconera.com/masahiro...snt-choose-the-fighters-for-super-smash-bros/

• Masahiro Sakurai: “I don’t choose the fighters based on my own preference, that’s for Nintendo to bring in.”

• Masahiro Sakurai: “This time around, we brought the experience of immediately playing as the protagonist of a game that people currently play. At the starting point of its production, we experimented by working with a title that was in development.”

• Masahiro Sakurai: “There are too many Fire Emblem characters. And there are too many sword characters. I, too, understand. However, these things are already decided, so we move forward. The things I should be thinking about are elsewhere.”

• Masahiro Sakurai: “Since there are too many sword characters, we make them all have their own tactics that are unique to the fighter.”
So Sakurai is saying yes there are too many sword users and FE users, but he is doing what he is told and lets move on from that, and he will make anyone nintendo makes him do fun.
We knew Nintendo gave him a list but I could've sworn it was a list Sakurai can choose which from it he can put in the pass. Is he actually saying there were choices worse than another FE rep? That's...pretty bold.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
We knew Nintendo gave him a list but I could've sworn it was a list Sakurai can choose which from it he can put in the pass. Is he actually saying there were choices worse than another FE rep? That's...pretty bold.
What Sakurai had originally said was that Nintendo presented him with a list of characters to choose from, and he choose which ones he felt would make for the best playable characters.

Any particulars among that, we don't know. Nintendo could have presented him with a list of 7 FE characters and the four 3rd party characters we ended up getting. They could have presented him with a list of 6 characters for him to choose five from. We really don't know so we can't say one way or the other how strongly Nintendo pushed for Byleth.

It's very possiblt that both Sakurai and Nintendo wanted to include Byleth, but they knew there would be backlash so the agreement was made for Sakurai to shift the responsibility onto the entire company rather than let any one person be the lightning-rod of hate.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
It's not a legend. Lots of games are obvious sequels and/or prequels to other games. Honestly, Breath of the Wild and the Four Swords pair are the only ones that don't comfortably fit.
BotW does fit in the timeline. The Downfall Timeline that is. Four Swords Adventures on the other hand can easily fit in either child or downfall timeline.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
It's not a legend. Lots of games are obvious sequels and/or prequels to other games. Honestly, Breath of the Wild and the Four Swords pair are the only ones that don't comfortably fit.
If you're speaking of Hyrule Historia, take it with a grain of salt.
Personally, i don't really buy the timeline that is presented there.
It feels impulsively spat out, and not carefully thought through.

Even in the Historia itself, Aonuma confirmed that stories are mere afterthoughts.
Not something they carefully considered and crafted.
They always focus on the Gameplay first and after that, they just wing it with a story that works.

Of course, there are obvious sequels in the series.
Like Zelda 2: Adventure of Link (sequel to the original LoZ), Link's Awakening (sequel to A Link to the Past), Majora's Mask (sequel to Ocarina of Time), etc.

But most games in the series are stand-alone stories, that don't really connect with other games.
Twilight Princess being the best example, a game that works as a stand-alone title, with its own rules, apart from all other games.
But connect it to Ocarina of Time via a timeline and some things suddenly start to no longer make sense.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If there really is a nindies presentation mid march, Seven Sirens has to be a lock for at least a 2 minute spotlight. I doubt WayForward would just leave it with a one and done minute long trailer or not even show up at all. Heck, they might even want to show off Vitamin Connection.
Maybe:beezo::beezo::beezo: We will see. I honestly think they should have dropped Seven Sirens news in the December Nindie presentation.

zferolie

Smash Hero
TIn foil hat time. What if this indies direct shows off seven sirens, and they say they are going to show the new opening for it, done by trigger. However, suddenly Shantae and Risky are blasted by a Beam of light, and it becomes a Shantae reveal trailer at the end, with it all animated by studio trigger. Seeing Mario and co in Studio trigger art would be amazing

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
TIn foil hat time. What if this indies direct shows off seven sirens, and they say they are going to show the new opening for it, done by trigger. However, suddenly Shantae and Risky are blasted by a Beam of light, and it becomes a Shantae reveal trailer at the end, with it all animated by studio trigger. Seeing Mario and co in Studio trigger art would be amazing
I would squeal in excitement and jump out of my seat in glee. I wish.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wait what's this about an idies direct?

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Maybe they will do an opening that is a 1:30 instead of the 30 second one then at the end an extra animation showing Shantae saying "now that is better but I think it's time for me to wake up". Then we have a Zero Suit Samus(orange color) enemy suddenly shown and we see her twitching then started dancing. Once that clone does a familiar pose it transforms into Shantae and her saying "Ret-2-Go!!!!!".

Sabi confirmed with his sources that in Mid March there is going to be a Nindies Direct.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Here is a Smash Art for today.
Artist: YoshiUnity
EPfjUifX4AYiJi1.jpeg

Honestly, IDK if Trigger and WF did update the opening (for reasons), but I will be surprised for a new curveball served from the pitcher. Still, we will get more gameplay footage from Apple Arcade with a date when all console users can get the game. (Hopefully close with Part 2's release.)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Maybe they will do an opening that is a 1:30 instead of the 30 second one then at the end an extra animation showing Shantae saying "now that is better but I think it's time for me to wake up". Then we have a Zero Suit Samus(orange color) enemy suddenly shown and we see her twitching then started dancing. Once that clone does a familiar pose it transforms into Shantae and her saying "Ret-2-Go!!!!!".

Sabi confirmed with his sources that in Mid March there is going to be a Nindies Direct.
Cool beans.

I wonder if they're gonna be fighting over who gets to be the next more than Mii costume

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You know I have been thinking about it lately and I think now regardless of what haters and sickos would do with it, I think I would prefer a Shantae Mii costume over no Shantae at all. Of course I would want the real deal the most, but we got to think about other outcomes that might happen if she doesn't get in.

Dukefire

Smash Master
For Fan Rules (which again is pointless with what Sakurai is going) against Shantae, they have been disproven overtime with legit reasons.
More Skin exposed: ZSS alt, Shulk's alt and Krystal Herself show more
Indies: While not there yet as fighter, Shovel Knight, Sans and Cuphead has arrived past Trophy/Spirit status.
For Good Boys and Girls: Honestly, Mai not being included as an easter egg doesn't mean Shantae can't.
Spirits: Still in the Neutral Zone. Neutral Aerial. Neutral Aerial. Neutral Aerial. Neutral Aerial.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Finally! I can preorder it! I've been so annoyed at looking at the spot on my shelf for it. I need to show my friend, she's usually blind to news like this.

Amazon says it releases in May. "May 2, 2020". Interesting.
This little piece of news.
Oh it seems Sabi is now saying that a new Nindies Direct is happening in Mid March. Hopefully we get some Shantae And the Seven Sirens news.
EDIT:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I'm all glad for the relevant hype, but why are you guys keep believing Seven Sirens will be in Nindies stuff? Wayforward has not announced anything about the game in directs yet. It's all been on Twitter. We'd have a better shot trying to guess how they might showcase the real reveal. Because they need to really market it when it's ready, but they won't make much ground just on Twitter to their main followers. They need to expand their market reach if they can. Because they're waiting for a Animal Crossing New Horizons style dual reveal from Nintendo that was canceled from Game Awards.

Wrong Mystery Dungeon, sadly. The one being remade is the first "Red/Blue Rescue Team" Grovyle was a main character in the second game "Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky"

The Explorers game was so much better in every way, so I hope it gets a remake next year.
Oh yea, that's right. Well, maybe next game then. I'm more voting for representation for each gen then a grass start specifcially (though the Treeko line is probably the most Smash fitting of grass starters). I even liked the fan concept for that random leak of Gardevoir as a fighter with Gothitelle as an echo because I could see it working and it would get Gen 3 and 5 reps.

Uhm, again, he doesn't give you a reward for teaching him the song.
He gives you the Heart Piece as a way of befriending, because you know Saria's Song.

Let me quote the dialogue:

That's all he says in regards to Saria's Song.
And I dunno about you, to me, it means he wants to be friends with you, simply for knowing the song.

Then again, it's rather vague.
So it could mean anything. ^^;

The Mask thing is the only thing they have in common though.
Nowhere in OOT does it say that the Skull Kid has trouble with friends. oO
He only exists as a minor quest for two rewards and really has no story in that game.

I dunno what the Moon and its illusionary world have anything to do with this.
But as for the face-argument, while it does make sense at a glance, we don't really know if that's really the reason Skull Kid wears Majora's Mask.
If anything, I think it was strongly implied, he wears Majora's Mask, because he was slowly falling under its influence, to serve as a host.

Game Theories are like Conspiracy Theories.
Crazy things people pull, that do sound plausible at a glance.
And just because it sounds cool, people immediately believe it.

Game Theories also completely ignore the fact, that games are games, created by people.
And everything that goes with it, like oversights on the devs, lack of vision and other things like that.

Let me bring up that one interview again, where Mr. Miyamoto and Mr. Aonuma were asked, what planet Hyrule is on.
Mr. Miyamoto responded with "Earth".
While Mr. Aonuma said afterwards "I don't know. Let's just roll with it."
Which clearly indicates that Mr. Aonuma never thought about Hyrule beyond the realms you can see in the games.
And thus, all theories on world building are instantly rendered moot, because it's ultimately up to personal interpretation, if the creator didn't bother thinking about it.
There simply is no right or wrong answer there.

Bottom Line: Game Theories are stupid.
And people that actually, genuinely believe them without question, most likely are just as crazy as people that believe crazy conspiracy theories.
Yes, you get the Piece of Heart by showing OoT Skull Kid you are friends of Saria, because you know her song. But the MM Skill Kid also knows the forest song. The fact he knows a special forest song taught to him by a "fairy kid" means he's from Hyrule, whether or not Saria or Link taught him the song. "Fairy Kid" implies a Kokiri (whether genuine, or Link thinking he's a Kokiri).

The skull kid flees from you before he knows you're friendly. So he's already distrustful but lonely. The other skull kids are the ones from the ocarina minigame that gives you another piece of heart, those are friendly (to kids) enough they aren't candidates.

The lone skull kid wanting a new face, which you buy from the Happy Mask Salesman. The HMS is the same one you see in MM and Skull Kid steals from him in the forest that's inbetween the dimensions/still in Hyrule. Since after Epona gets captured do you find the portal to reach Termina. So the Skull Kid is used to slipping through the dimensions too. Feeling lonely from his giant friends probably made him want a 'new face' again. Probably a 'scary face', even scarier than the skull mask he had. Not surprising he became easy prey to the scariest mask on the sale pack.

So they're trying to say it's the same Skull Kid while keeping it vague enough to act as stand-alone so newcomers don't get confused.

Even in the Historia itself, Aonuma confirmed that stories are mere afterthoughts.
They always focus on the Gameplay first and after that, they just wing it with a story that works.

Like Zelda 2: Adventure of Link (sequel to the original LoZ), Link's Awakening (sequel to A Link to the Past), Majora's Mask (sequel to Ocarina of Time), etc.

But most games in the series are stand-alone stories, that don't really connect with other games.
Twilight Princess being the best example, a game that works as a stand-alone title, with its own rules, apart from all other games.
But connect it to Ocarina of Time via a timeline and some things suddenly start to no longer make sense.
Even if story comes after gameplay, they were paying attention to story and overarching continuity since the beginning.

• Zelda I - start
  • Adventure of Link - immediate sequel
  • Link to the Past - Zelda I prequel
  • Link's Awakening - sequel adventure to aLttP
  • Ocarina of Time - connected to aLttP through the wars in the prologues
  • Majora's Mask - OoT immediate sequel
  • Oracles - blanking honestly
  • Wind Waker - 100+ years later OoT sequel
  • Twilight Princess - sequel to the other half of OoT
  • Minish Cap > Four Swords > Four Swords Adventures line
They were doing stuff even before the official timeline. Plus, the Hyrule Historia was said to change overtime as they see fit. They already altered it by switching the places of Link's Awakening and the Oracle games and adding in Triforce Heroes as a canon sequel to Link Between Worlds. Also, Four Swords Adventure is down the child timeline, it's after Twilight Princess, eventually. (And BotW and it's sequel will most likely be placed after that because of what they're doing)

Actually, while most are stand-alone stories, it's more like 60-40. There are a lot of sequels, even if several aren't directly sequels, like how Spirit Tracks is a sequel to Phantom Hourglass, but it's 100 years later following Tetra's granddaughter instead of the same Link in his next adventure.

Twilight Princess is also a terrible example. Yes, it's a fine game when taken stand alone, but that's one game that is a distant sequel to Ocarina. The Hero's Shade is the Hero of Time. His regret is no one knowing/believing him saving Hyrule from Ganon in the game proper so he's teaching his Twilight Princess descendant sword skills he picked up over the years afterwards to ease his spirit.

Though if you're unsatisfied with the official one, I recommend the fan timeline that's coming back into some popularity. It essentially fixes the fallen timeline (that's honestly the most "slapped together" part) while also fitting in the Four Swords series in better. NintendoBlackCrisis showcased it recently.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well now, that figure looks great. I may get it if possible. At least there are fans and people that will support her regarding if she doesn't get into smash as a fighter. You don't need be part of something bigger if you are good where you currently stay.

Edit:

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman

I've been saying it the moment people started spouting the "Zelda timeline" phrase back in, I believe Wind Waker? I'm thoroughly concinced this "timeline" nonsense was conceived because the creators have some strange psychological shame in acknowledging they hit the reset button from time to time.

It's a convoluted load of crap imo, and totally irrelevant to what makes the Zelda series so great.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan

The biggest reason I hate the "It's just a legend!" chestnut is Wind Waker. That game is such a perfect continuation of Ocarina of Time. We see that OoT/MM!Link left a lasting impression on his world. That moment when the grown Deku Tree sprout sees WW!Link, mistakes him from OoT/MM!Link and speaks old Hylian at him is one of my favorites in gaming.

Oh, me likey! I may hold out for the Totaku, though. Do we know when that's coming out?

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
The biggest reason I hate the "It's just a legend!" chestnut is Wind Waker. That game is such a perfect continuation of Ocarina of Time. We see that OoT/MM!Link left a lasting impression on his world. That moment when the grown Deku Tree sprout sees WW!Link, mistakes him from OoT/MM!Link and speaks old Hylian at him is one of my favorites in gaming.

Oh, me likey! I may hold out for the Totaku, though. Do we know when that's coming out?
No concrete date, just a tentative 2020.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I can't wait for the Shantae Pop! It will make a nice addiction to my collection. Tho I will likely try to find it in store as Pop Figures can sometimes have small paint errors so I don't like to buy them online.

So, Shantae is getting a lot of collectibles that other video game characters got before her. Crash, Spyro and Banjo have all been getting deals with the same companies like Pop and Totaku. Something else all those characters got were those Cable Guy statues that hold a controller. Her build might be a little too delicate for it, But I would love her to get one of those.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Don't take this one seriously(maybe) but I think Sora(Kingdom Hearts) might not come to Smash Ultimate thanks to Disney Japan.

Your thoughts?

Top Bottom