• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
So I went on YouTube to listen to what I usually listened to, a few soundtracks I've just revisited to last week and have been annually for about a year...

Blazzer Sora just deleted all the OSTs of Pirate's Curse. This better not be a prank!
This is both alarming and oddly hopeful...? Alarming because, well, yeah. But hopeful because... well, yeah...?!

Actually, it could be far worse, if there's a bit of codebreaking involved...

Last edited:

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
This is both alarming and oddly hopeful...? Alarming because, well, yeah. But hopeful because... well, yeah...?!

Actually, it could be far worse, if there's a bit of codebreaking involved...
His Half Genie Hero list doesn't show up at all either, luckily I use TerrorOfTalos for that. For some reason, if I listen to those via Blazzer Sora, my suggestion box gets flooded with those videos targeting preschoolers.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So I went on YouTube to listen to what I usually listened to, a few soundtracks I've revisited last week and have been annually for about a year...

Blazzer Sora just deleted all the OSTs of Pirate's Curse. This better not be a prank!
Sadly I think it's just someone with a bee in their bonnet false claiming Shantae videos. Similar things have been happening on DA from time to time.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
https://twitter.com/MandyCanNot
Someone brought this up on the newcomer speculation board. An under the radar twitter with an open disdain for Verge that made a lot of correct predictions. They knew fighter 5 was Byleth in October and shortly thereafter predicted fighter 6. If it is real and this guy knows something, I'll leave it up to you guys to scroll down and see who it is.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Someone brought this up on the newcomer speculation board. An under the radar twitter with an open disdain for Verge that made a lot of correct predictions. They knew fighter 5 was Byleth in October and shortly thereafter predicted fighter 6. If it is real and this guy knows something, I'll leave it up to you guys to scroll down and see who it is.
The way you said it made me believe it was gonna be Shantae for some reason x)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So it's likely just YouTube bots being YouTube bots. Dang, I thought we got something. Nope, at the end of the fishing rod is a rotting boot.
Why would this mean anything, let alone for Smash? We have both the Shantae games with this soundtrack on the Switch already.

We're never gonna learn, are we?

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Why would this mean anything, let alone for Smash? We have both the Shantae games with this soundtrack on the Switch already.

We're never gonna learn, are we?
I mean, it's at least worth considering. I doubt it heavily, but if it turns out to be true we'll have a third "leaker" to watch out for.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Welp, if this Pass plays out like last time, then that'll be the only American rep we get.

Guess we need to REALLY be expecting a Mii Costume for our girl and nothing more.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
If THAT happens to be the next character, then I feel we are in for a long wait, as that seems like a character they would want to reveal at E3. But this fits with what I was already suspecting since we now have 6 characters to spread out over 2 years, so they will be coming much further apart from eachother.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Welp, if this Pass plays out like last time, then that'll be the only American rep we get.

Guess we need to REALLY be expecting a Mii Costume for our girl and nothing more.
Expectations may blow up in your face or send you into depression, but hope never will.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Yeah nintendo and sakurai are reconizing indies for sure, its just of they will take the next step, and i think they will.

As for a seven seas trailer, honestly, has shantae been in a nintendo direct ever?

I would laugh if what looks like a aeven seas trailer juat turns into a smash trailer
Historically, yea they do stuff, but Wayforward hasnt done anything Seven Sirens based in Nintendo directs yet. It's always a week or 2 after a previous direct on their own terms. So it's a little hard to gauge. But it'd be fun to see the opening trailer switch from just her window into actual Smash.

I greatly appreciate this, the transparency is great; however, the eyes looking the other way and the sparkles do kind of kill it for me. I was avoiding it for those reasons.

I gave it my own attempt with a different image.

I'm not that good at it, and I only focused on the top half, but I think it turned out well enough for what I'm using it for, which is a Fighters Pass card!

View attachment 258606
Great job. It looks so natural, almost like she belongs there .... Though im curious if it would look better with an orange background.

Ok, overthinking, not saying it is her next, since it could be anyone currently. But imagine if Shantae was the next fighter and had an orange background. She'd match up with all our reaching theories like Daisy and Color Theory, and hint at a slot switch.

And, further overthinking, since Byleth has a green background, what if people started using Byleth's "proper slot" as a reason to claim the next pass will go in color order as the last one, since Piranha Plant and Byleth both "start" the line up and have green? I'd love to see how that would play out.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Historically, yea they do stuff, but Wayforward hasnt done anything Seven Sirens based in Nintendo directs yet. It's always a week or 2 after a previous direct on their own terms. So it's a little hard to gauge. But it'd be fun to see the opening trailer switch from just her window into actual Smash.

Great job. It looks so natural, almost like she belongs there .... Though im curious if it would look better with an orange background.

Ok, overthinking, not saying it is her next, since it could be anyone currently. But imagine if Shantae was the next fighter and had an orange background. She'd match up with all our reaching theories like Daisy and Color Theory, and hint at a slot switch.

And, further overthinking, since Byleth has a green background, what if people started using Byleth's "proper slot" as a reason to claim the next pass will go in color order as the last one, since Piranha Plant and Byleth both "start" the line up and have green? I'd love to see how that would play out.
Though orange would be conflicting with a possible Crash Bandicoot inclusion, since he's primarily orange. I could see a red-purple gradient, though that's mainly my own speculation.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Sigh,..
This again?

There is a saying that goes...
"DON`'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU HEAR!"

Last edited:

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Sigh,..
This again?

There is a saying that goes...
"DON`'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU HEAR!"
What you mean? I'm just talking about how entertaining it would be if a hypothetical situation caused a speculation theory to work out well enough to cause a derivative theory to come out (and run long enough to get a footing, only to be proven meaningless and all the salt thrown asunder).

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
What you mean? I'm just talking about how entertaining it would be if a hypothetical situation caused a speculation theory to work out well enough to cause a derivative theory to come out (and run long enough to get a footing, only to be proven meaningless and all the salt thrown asunder).
My post was addressed to the ones above you, with the pointless depression and saying Shantae will be a MII Costume.

Like, come on man!

Dukefire

Smash Master
We all have our stuff to hope and anchor to keep ourselves in check. Sometimes, we just want to prep time for the things ahead in the near future
Screenshot_20200117-204553_YouTube.jpg

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
My post was addressed to the ones above you, with the pointless depression and saying Shantae will be a MII Costume.

Like, come on man!
Yea that makes more sense with context.

Though really, the main complaint on a mii costume should prove that Shantae as a fighter would have weird options her Fighter's mii costumes. Because move wise, only really Risky and Tinkerbats as swordfighters make sense. Skye doesn't work as any and Bolo and Risky could maybe work as brawlers. But if the main worry of a Shantae costume being a bikini top, there's no way Risky would happen since her top would be even worse an option. She'd have to be a hat. So I'd expect a Mighty Switch Force gunner and then any other Wayforward/random indie mii costumes.

Possibilities, like a Brawler Freedom Planet Lilac. Swordfighter Hollow Knight. Quote gunner. Maybe Indivisible (Ajna?) Brawler. Reimu something? That Wayforward spider chick on the apple only game. Celeste got high praises. Figure out any other note worthy indies really.

Honestly, I'd love to see the Barrel Climber from Getting Over It as an AT.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Though really, the main complaint on a mii costume should prove that Shantae as a fighter would have weird options her Fighter's mii costumes. Because move wise, only really Risky and Tinkerbats as swordfighters make sense. Skye doesn't work as any and Bolo and Risky could maybe work as brawlers. But if the main worry of a Shantae costume being a bikini top, there's no way Risky would happen since her top would be even worse an option. She'd have to be a hat. So I'd expect a Mighty Switch Force gunner and then any other Wayforward/random indie mii costumes.

Possibilities, like a Brawler Freedom Planet Lilac. Swordfighter Hollow Knight. Quote gunner. Maybe Indivisible (Ajna?) Brawler. Reimu something? That Wayforward spider chick on the apple only game. Celeste got high praises. Figure out any other note worthy indies really.

Honestly, I'd love to see the Barrel Climber from Getting Over It as an AT.
I think a Tinkerbat and Scarecrow could be Mii costumes though as well.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
We all have our stuff to hope and anchor to keep ourselves in check. Sometimes, we just want to prep time for the things ahead in the near future
Then why not simply stay neutral?
Aka "Whatever happens, happens"?

Why this arbitrary negativity?
I don't see any point in that...

A Bikini Top is a serious concern... Really? oO

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
Thank you! I don't think orange would suit her. I think matching either her hair or her clothes would be the way to go. (I'm not interested in any weird theories people come up with.)

I considered giving her a red background to match her clothes and logo, but I had already used it on another character in my full custom fighters pass.

My Fighters Pass 2.png

Nobody asked, but I chose this version of Shantae because I like classic Shantae way more than I like "modern" (Half-Genie Hero) Shantae. The original design is so much more distinct and iconic. Risky's Revenge was a natural evolution of the original art style, and the remade art for the 3DS VC release of the original GBC game is the best of both worlds. If Shantae got in Smash, I hope they base her design on her original game. Even Smash Bros. Crusade agrees!

Last edited:

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Thank you! I don't think orange would suit her. I think matching either her hair or her clothes would be the way to go. (I'm not interested in any weird theories people come up with.)

I considered giving her a red background to match her clothes and logo, but I had already used it on another character in my full custom fighters pass.

View attachment 258795

Nobody asked, but I chose this version of Shantae because I like classic Shantae way more than I like "modern" (Half-Genie Hero) Shantae. The original design is so much more distinct and iconic. Risky's Revenge was a natural evolution of the original art style, and the remade art for the 3DS VC release of the original GBC game is the best of both worlds. If Shantae got in Smash, I hope they base her design on her original game. Even Smash Bros. Crusade agrees!
No that's fine. Though, color theory aside, Shantae's title logos commonly use a red/orange, a shade between the two, so I was thinking like that. So the red orange on her, and then Lloyd could be green to match his Tales logo. But I like your set up as a whole.

And I like the old school design appreciation. It's sometimes hard mentally going back and forth between the two, they both seem so "naturally" her. I love both a lot, but there's reasons old school works so well. Plus, old school had fun fighting moves, and modern chibi looks weird doing my favorite of the old dances.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Giga Man Giga Man I think I would have chosen the same backround color as you because it is the color I used to paint my custom Mario Kart Shantae's kart toy a while back and it really looked perfect for her.

My personal favorite Shantae design has to be the Pirate's curse one ( although the seven siren's one is really growing on me ), but I really love each and every one of them almost equally as they represent different great eras.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Giga Man Giga Man I think I would have chosen the same backround color as you because it is the color I used to paint my custom Mario Kart Shantae's kart toy a while back and it really looked perfect for her.

My personal favorite Shantae design has to be the Pirate's curse one ( although the seven siren's one is really growing on me ), but I really love each and every one of them almost equally as they represent different great eras.
“Custom Mario Kart Shantae.”

Dude, you can’t just drop that tidbit of information and NOT show us the results!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

For me, SS > PC > HGH = 1 > RR.

The eyes are something special in both Seven Sirens and Pirate's Curse, especially the former as it's like staring at the ocean itself. It also emphasizes her attractive qualities more naturally with a more sensibly sized waist to go with her developed booty.

Last edited:

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
S Sunny-Zee hahaha I made it/showed it on this very thread back around Ultimate's release :D

But there you go, taken just now with my girl Daisy next to her :D

(Forgive the pitiful quality of the pictures since I have the bad habbit of dropping my phones which ultimately leads to harming the cameras x) )

83070729_597656067476425_8490809491292422144_n.jpg
83075920_488142908774757_269665543223508992_n.jpg
83898445_1074543246218452_6155366529547370496_n.jpg

Taking these pics made me realise I forgot to remove the symbol of the original driver of the kart xD

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
S Sunny-Zee hahaha I made it/showed it on this very thread back around Ultimate's release :D

(Forgive the pitiful quality of the pictures since I have the bad habbit of dropping my phones which ultimately leads to harming the cameras x) )

Taking these pics made me realise I forgot to remove the symbol of the original driver of the kart xD

In all seriousness, that's pretty cool though!

Oddball

Smash Lord
A Shantae wig for a mii could be pretty cool. You could stick it on the Toad body and have something kinda close.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman

Excellent! I also got to see the post where you originally showed her off with the other official karts with more professional lighting.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Sakurai: "Every character in the second Fighter Pass has already been decided, so even if I get a ton of requests on Twitter, it's very unlikely they'll make a difference."

Character-for-Smash accounts:

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
So regarding Shantae as a fighter: What Mii costumes should she come with? I'm thinking Squid Baron, Risky Boots, Rotty, Tinkerbat, and Scarecrow.
I would love a Scarecrow outfit, (it's like Skull Kid fused with Jack from Billy and Mandy) I doubt it would happen though.

I think it would be between Risky, Bolo, Sky, Rotty, a Tinkerbat, and Patricia Wagon.

I already found another YouTuber with a list, but thanks, that was thoughtful.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Oh jeez, gentlemen. The Geno Thread has been temporarily closed down. I don't know what, but apparently it was because people were raising a hissy-fit over a temp banned member.
Salt does bring the worst of us. Especially with many people gathered to see Byleth as Challenger 5. It will take some time before the heat dies down to safe levels

Oddball

Smash Lord
Oh jeez, gentlemen. The Geno Thread has been temporarily closed down. I don't know what, but apparently it was because people were raising a hissy-fit over a temp banned member.
Whatever drama is there, let it stay there. Let's not bring it here.

That would be EVEN MORE UPSETTING.
I'm of the mentality that something is better than nothing. If you can't have Shantae having kinda/sorta Shantae isn't that bad.

Top Bottom