• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Tin Foil Hat theory time: I think Shantae WAS the original 5th Fighter for the first DLC pass. Think about it, we all expected Fighter Five to be revealed at the Game Awards but yet nothing happened. We wouldn't get news until two days ago. Combine that with the fact that Shantae and the Seven Sirens was delayed ON THE SAME DAY as the Game Awards(which is weird in and off itself). So I believe Shantae and both her Smash Fighter appearance and game were going to be released last month yet due to the unexpected delay Sakurai had to take Byleth(who I believe was Fighter #6) and switch him with our girl Shantae.

Sakurai saying that he made that video in November didn't make sense at all. I believe he made that video early this month to showcase Byleth as introduction of the second fighters pass.

Heck too many coincidences happen around Seven Sirens to be just that.
That could be the case. I was thinking timing wise she could be fighter 6 based on when the game got delayed to, but I couldn't see her being a "buy the pass" hype character enough for the general public so I dismissed it and expected her to be like 8 or something.

Plus, Byleth has way too much of a moveset done to be recorded that heavily back in November and still need another 2 weeks to be released. What's missing? Taunts? Maybe some debugging. I know thes team is working hard, but they're supposed to have 3 characters in development at once, and Banjo even finished ahead of schedule. If it was recorded in November, Byleth could have been released at the game awards easily.

This really would make sense with the above Daisy comment. If Byleth was the planned 5th fighter, Daisy would forever be bumping the wind. So Shantae being delayed from being F5 seems very plausible.

Hollow Knight and Quote are next on the mii fighter block, I think. They could both fit into the Swordfighter and Gunner roles.

Shantae, on the other hand, does not fit any of those molds. So either she will become playable, or just stay as a spirit.
I think these indie Mii costumes could possibly be slowly counting down to an indie rep reveal so that when they finally arrive, they'll have relatable characters to do stuff with in their trailer. Now how many more there'll be is the question or maybe Sans, Cuphead and the Shovel Knight assist trophy will be good enough if we're lucky. Who knows.
When I saw Cup head, I immediately started questioning when and who will be our indie fighter? There's bound to be one. Whether or not it's our girl.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Aye. Things seem to be heating up, and as of now, I'm believing that Nintendo's likely to try to extend the lifetime of the Switch to maybe about three more years at most. So this FP2 is likely to be the final one of its kind. I'm conflicted, since the Xbox Series X and PS5 are coming out and if what I say is true, then they'll be playing the long game by having it on the handheld side of lifespans, which might not be good in the very long run.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
I don't know a better place to ask than a thread dedicated to Shantae.

Does anyone have a transparent render of this classic Shantae art?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
ya know i do think it's odd that byleth needs another 2 weeks to be released...now that you mention it
the explanation was that they were kept so under wraps, that most people at Nintendo didn't know about them, as such people who were in charge of promotional things like updating them on the e shop and notifications and such hadn't started making anything yet.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
the explanation was that they were kept so under wraps, that most people at Nintendo didn't know about them, as such people who were in charge of promotional things like updating them on the e shop and notifications and such hadn't started making anything yet.
which only makes things more confusing....out of all characters why was byleth the one that had to be treated like it was A Top Secret government project that nobody could know about?

not even banjo kazooie A Character duo that had been requested time and time again with dedicated roaring fans online had everything on lockdown

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
It's likely because of that goof up with SNK being listed in FP4 before Terry's reveal. They already messed up once with that Bloody Tears soundtrack leaking Castlevania, you know how the man is with spoilers.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero

I don't have that one, but I have her original picture that pose is based on. https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...eGBCtab.png/revision/latest?cb=20170106021616

which only makes things more confusing....out of all characters why was byleth the one that had to be treated like it was A Top Secret government project that nobody could know about?

not even banjo kazooie A Character duo that had been requested time and time again with dedicated roaring fans online had everything on lockdown
Yeah, its odd, but Sakurai loves his surprises, so I think he really wanted this to be a surprise.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Which makes sense for the two weeks needed part. But not for the idea that Byleth was 90% done back in November with a smaller dev team. Not unless the slots were switched.

There's also a rumor that Ryu was FP5 and was switched to the next pass too. I prefer Shantae, but the flipped schedule idea is going around.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Which makes sense for the two weeks needed part. But not for the idea that Byleth was 90% done back in November with a smaller dev team. Not unless the slots were switched.

There's also a rumor that Ryu was FP5 and was switched to the next pass too. I prefer Shantae, but the flipped schedule idea is going around.
The rumor will live or die depending on who the next fighter is, and when they are shown. I could see the January or febuary direct having the smash reveal. Also, there are rumors of a new paper mario that plays like the old ones, and a new metroid game....

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
You know I just had a thought. What if there's a standard Nintendo Direct next week and they reveal Fighter 6 there? Sakurai probably knew people would get up in arms over Byleth, and he probably also anticipated that he wouldn't have anything for fighter 6 at the time of recording Byleth's reveal presentation. What's the best way to silence people after a character that makes them mad is revealed? You reveal one they can be happy about shortly thereafter. It's what he did with Corrin, and he might just do it again next week.

Edit: I wrote this very quickly so here's a little more clarification. Sakurai knew there were 6 more characters being added. He knew Byleth would make people angry and that in order to rectify that, he needed more time to get fighter 6 to a revealable state. That's one major reason he filmed Byleth's video in November.

Last edited:

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice

I've tried looking for one for you, but sadly couldn't find one.
I did find a full-body version in a bit lower quality that I decided to cut out myself instead. (Here's a link just in case)
Shantae Classic.png
Though she's looking the other way here... and some glow effects that don't really cut nicely.
I don't know if this is useable in any capacity for you, but let me know if you want me to cut out the one you posted as well and I'll be happy to do it for you.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Its either next week or Febuary since Pokemon and Smash has gotten their news out of the way until spring and summer rolls in seperate times.

Of course, Byleth wasn't the best one to end Season 1 DLC on FE, but we got Season 2, new wave of Mii Costumes (with Cuphead joining including a track) and Six more coming.
Screenshot_20200116-220611_YouTube.jpg

Staarih

Smash Master
You know I just had a thought. What if there's a standard Nintendo Direct next week and they reveal Fighter 6 there?
I figure we might hear from Fighter 6 sooner than later, not only to "soften the blow" after Byleth, but to sell the Season 2 pass. The sooner we know who Fighter 6 is, the more people are willing to (pre-)purchase the second pass. It took like, what, a month for Joker to be revealed after the first season was revealed (I think we learned about Fighter's Pass 1 in November and Joker was revealed in December). So I'm thinking whenever the next general Direct is, there's a shot of us learning who Fighter 6 is.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I figure we might hear from Fighter 6 sooner than later, not only to "soften the blow" after Byleth, but to sell the Season 2 pass. The sooner we know who Fighter 6 is, the more people are willing to (pre-)purchase the second pass. It took like, what, a month for Joker to be revealed after the first season was revealed (I think we learned about Fighter's Pass 1 in November and Joker was revealed in December). So I'm thinking whenever the next general Direct is, there's a shot of us learning who Fighter 6 is.
Yeah, its a smart business move to at least know 1 of the fighters in the pass so people are more willing to buy it. The question is, if it is Ryu, that a good way to open it to get people to jump on? I think a big surprise would be better(shantae myself) but ryu is not a bad character

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Funny how it’s the indie Mii costumes that also get the songs haha. Seeing as Sans and Cuphead are from critically acclaimed games, I think Hollow Knight will likely get a similar treatment if indie Mii costumes continue on.

Hopefully this will build up to an indie fighter, as many have mentioned. I have high hopes for Shantae. At least the ”competition” is going down with these Mii costume announcements lol.
Though if Shantae get's the bobble head Mii costume/song treatment it's game over for our half genie hero:

Dukefire

Smash Master
We will see coming next week.

At least most leaks and possible false theories have been shut down.
Screenshot_20200115-142535_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
I'd keep an eye out for the date Byleth comes out for a direct. Which would be close to Feb but still Jan.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I wonder if Sakurai even considered Shantae for FP2... or Nintendo for that fact.
With the trend of stunning indie mii costumes continuing, that's not really a worry on my mind at all. Even less so if Shantae and the Seven Sirens gets a trailer in the next Direct.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Remember that WF plays on their own rules. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the trailer didn't show in the direct and more when WF is ready

zferolie

Smash Hero
With the trend of stunning indie mii costumes continuing, that's not really a worry on my mind at all. Even less so if Shantae and the Seven Sirens gets a trailer in the next Direct.
Yeah nintendo and sakurai are reconizing indies for sure, its just of they will take the next step, and i think they will.

As for a seven seas trailer, honestly, has shantae been in a nintendo direct ever?

I would laugh if what looks like a aeven seas trailer juat turns into a smash trailer

Dukefire

Smash Master
Yeah nintendo and sakurai are reconizing indies for sure, its just of they will take the next step, and i think they will.

As for a seven seas trailer, honestly, has shantae been in a nintendo direct ever?

I would laugh if what looks like a aeven seas trailer juat turns into a smash trailer
Imagine that.

The floodgates are open to any indie characters join. So, its possible in the near future.

Though question, what other indie characters might go well as a mii costume?
Hollow Knight: Mii Swordfighter
Cuphead and Sans: Mii Gunner

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Imagine that.

The floodgates are open to any indie characters join. So, its possible in the near future.

I know some people are going to crucify me for stating this, though I feel that there could be a Mii Costume based off the heroines from Freedom Planet. Isaac from TBoI could easily be in with a Tear gun, a Meat Boy helmet is entirely possible, another Crucifixion-worthy offense is stating that Quote/Curly Bracket are perfect Mii Gunners, and now I am among the dead

zferolie

Smash Hero
I know some people are going to crucify me for stating this, though I feel that there could be a Mii Costume based off the heroines from Freedom Planet. Isaac from TBoI could easily be in with a Tear gun, a Meat Boy helmet is entirely possible, another Crucifixion-worthy offense is stating that Quote/Curly Bracket are perfect Mii Gunners, and now I am among the dead
I would love a Liliac and co mii costumes if it means we get freedom plant music in this game. But what track would it come with....

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
another Crucifixion-worthy offense is stating that Quote/Curly Bracket are perfect Mii Gunners, and now I am among the dead
1577152924770.jpg
I love cave story, but I feel if quote/curly became characters, they would be the definition of projectile spam, similar to how alot of people feel like cuphead would be like. Though I do like the idea of freedomplanet costumes, bringing with them either final dreadnought act 1 or the boss prince dhalis theme.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Imagine that.

Jun from The World Next Door as a swordfighter would be cool.

1579368546825.png

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
As long as they made the costumes look good, I'd welcome Freedom Planet costumes... while still feeling pain.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So regarding Shantae as a fighter: What Mii costumes should she come with? I'm thinking Squid Baron, Risky Boots, Rotty, Tinkerbat, and Scarecrow.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I think whoever comes with Shantae would probably be other notable Indie characters under WayForward themselves.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

How many times do I have to mention one of the earliest directs for the Switch mentioning Half-Genie Hero Ultimate in a highlight reel? Not to mention that Shantae still sometimes headlines indie/platforming games on the 3DS and Wii U eShops.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So the Completionist reviewed the original Shantae:

The Completionist had contects with Matt Bozon and was able to get two new factory copies of the original game from it's animation director Jimmy Huey. Man that is so cool.

Last edited:

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
So the Completionist reviewed the original Shantae:

The Completionist had contects with Matt Bozon and was able to get two new factory copies of the original game from it's animation director Jimmy Huey. Man that is so cool.
He did that unboxing a long time ago. I was beginning to think he was never gonna complete it, but I opened up YouTube and today was that lucky day.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
I've tried looking for one for you, but sadly couldn't find one.
I did find a full-body version in a bit lower quality that I decided to cut out myself instead. (Here's a link just in case)
View attachment 258494
Though she's looking the other way here... and some glow effects that don't really cut nicely.
I don't know if this is useable in any capacity for you, but let me know if you want me to cut out the one you posted as well and I'll be happy to do it for you.
I greatly appreciate this, the transparency is great; however, the eyes looking the other way and the sparkles do kind of kill it for me. I was avoiding it for those reasons.

I gave it my own attempt with a different image.

I'm not that good at it, and I only focused on the top half, but I think it turned out well enough for what I'm using it for, which is a Fighters Pass card!

Shantae fighters pass card.png

Last edited:

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
So I went on YouTube to listen to what I usually listened to, a few soundtracks I've revisited last week and have been annually for about a year...

Blazzer Sora just deleted all the OSTs of Pirate's Curse. This better not be a prank!

Last edited:
Top Bottom