• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I wish Nintendo would reveal the DLC lineup like NetherRealm does their Mortal Kombat/Injustice DLC. They've been doing that for 4 games now and you don't see them close to bankruptcy if that's the fear. Seriously, 2019 sorta sucked because everyone and their dog would "leak" and no matter where you went on the internet, it's always the same with someone saying "hey, I've heard this Smash rumor, totally legit source too, and--M00NFIRE what are you doing with that chair? AIIIIIEEEEEE"
the thing is, Sakurai and smash fans seem to love the hype and speculation, the not knowing but can't wait to hear. Hell if they did it how NR or capcom does, this forum wouldn't even exist

Dukefire

Smash Master
Hype will always stir up for smash since it is a celebration of gaming and any character would want to get a piece of the action.

That said, here as some of the like and dislike ratio of byleth's reveal video.

Screenshot_20200116-214615_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20200116-185511_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Here is a Shantae fan art from an alternate timeline of today.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Gettin' some real Rob Liefeld energy from that fanart.

Anyway, Byleth sucks and the Cuphead costume was the best part of the Direct. I'm really digging this new batch of Mii Fighter costumes that straight up look like the characters instead of being obvious masks and wigs.

Also, looks like Shantae is still in the running, so yay for her and for us!

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
Anyway, Byleth sucks and the Cuphead costume was the best part of the Direct. I'm really digging this new batch of Mii Fighter costumes that straight up look like the characters instead of being obvious masks and wigs.
What really surprises me is that Cuphead transitions quite well in 3D and his model looks so damn good, too.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
I have a feeling that the next fighters will be the most fan-requested ones, here is my theory on why :

First of all, if this direct convinced me of one thing, it is that the smash devs kinda had to add Byleth because Nintendo wanted it.
They knew adding Byleth would not please the fans as proven by the "too many FE sword users" joke, the fact that Sakurai said he hoped we wouldn't be too mad on top adding a sixth character in the second pass to make up for it (imo).
Knowing that, it is possible to assume that the Smash devs are well aware of what's going on within the Smash community ( Sakurai even mentionned the twitter suggestions ) and that their efforts will be turned towards pleasing the fans.

And guess who has been among the most requested characters all along ?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Tin Foil Hat theory time: I think Shantae WAS the original 5th Fighter for the first DLC pass. Think about it, we all expected Fighter Five to be revealed at the Game Awards but yet nothing happened. We wouldn't get news until two days ago. Combine that with the fact that Shantae and the Seven Sirens was delayed ON THE SAME DAY as the Game Awards(which is weird in and off itself). So I believe Shantae and both her Smash Fighter appearance and game were going to be released last month yet due to the unexpected delay Sakurai had to take Byleth(who I believe was Fighter #6) and switch him with our girl Shantae.

Sakurai saying that he made that video in November didn't make sense at all. I believe he made that video early this month to showcase Byleth as introduction of the second fighters pass.

Heck too many coincidences happen around Seven Sirens to be just that.
I want to believe.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
the thing is, Sakurai and smash fans seem to love the hype and speculation, the not knowing but can't wait to hear. Hell if they did it how NR or capcom does, this forum wouldn't even exist
i don't think anyone would really miss the insane tin-foil hat theories that crop up because we have to wait what feels like decades before one character is revealed

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
My theory was based on several factors:

1. WayForward's silence on anything other than talking about Shantae's spirit.
2. Seven Sirens' delay on the same day as the Game Awards instead of any other day before or after it
3. Byleth making no sense as Fighter 5 in a Pass with most characters being 3rd party

If Shantae and the Seven Sirens full game came out in December then you know her Smash character would have been announced at the Game Awards and released in the same month. Byleth would then be revealed in January like always and his character would have released around the same time as the story DLC.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I think these indie Mii costumes could possibly be slowly counting down to an indie rep reveal so that when they finally arrive, they'll have relatable characters to do stuff with in their trailer. Now how many more there'll be is the question or maybe Sans, Cuphead and the Shovel Knight assist trophy will be good enough if we're lucky. Who knows.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I think these indie Mii costumes could possibly be slowly counting down to an indie rep reveal so that when they finally arrive, they'll have relatable characters to do stuff with in their trailer. Now how many more there'll be is the question or maybe Sans, Cuphead and the Shovel Knight assist trophy will be good enough if we're lucky. Who knows.
Still banking on that we'll get a Quote and Hollow Knight mii costume since they fit the mii fighter molds. I used to think Sans could be a one time deal, but now with two indies being the two best mii costumes and bringing music I'm starting to believe in there being a reason for it as well.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Still banking on that we'll get a Quote and Hollow Knight mii costume since they fit the mii fighter molds. I used to think Sans could be a one time deal, but now with two indies being the two best mii costumes and bringing music I'm starting to believe in there being a reason for it as well.
I think both of those are likely bets. Man, can you imagine having the Cave Story main theme in Smash? That would be great. I could also see a meat boy or Issac hat (I doubt wither would work well as a full costume) maybe sold together since they are from the same company and two hats could be considered worth one full costume.

I know they aren't Indie anymore, but maybe a Plants vs Zombies Zombie with a Pea Shooter on his arm to work as a gunner?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Gettin' some real Rob Liefeld energy from that fanart.

Also, looks like Shantae is still in the running, so yay for her and for us!
Says you, as the owner of the Monster Hunter support thread Byleth might be the closest thing we'll ever get, so I'm looking forward to experimenting ways to try landing "Great Sword" charges.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I feel like GoldLiger GoldLiger 's theory will somehow come true with either us getting Shantae announced as a playable character or a Mii costume in a March or April Nintendo Direct when Seven Sirens is about to drop. I hope it isn't the latter lol!

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
This trend of indie costumes sure has me hoping that Shantae is being built up slowly to become a fighter. After all I don't think they can make the full mii costume model for her like they have for cuphead and sans so if anything its either gonna be a full mii costume or the playable representation we all are hoping for. I will back that GoldLiger theory since its helped me get over my past fixated worry on Shantae getting the mii treatment.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
While seeing more indie characters getting Mii costumes does make me hopeful for an eventual indie fighter reveal for Shantae, I just can't shake off the fear that Shantae may just be overlooked in favour of Reimu should they decide to include an indie fighter.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
While seeing more indie characters getting Mii costumes does make me hopeful for an eventual indie fighter reveal for Shantae, I just can't shake off the fear that Shantae may just be overlooked in favour of Reimu should they decide to include an indie fighter.
Well, on one hand we have a spirit battle crammed full of references to abilities and using a non-Mii Fighter with a weapon to stand in, and on the other a character whose main trick is just shooting lots of bullets like Cuphead. Who is the more likely costume in this scenario?

Risky Boots is on a similar boat, we have pirate costumes for Miis, but Daisy is standing in instead. Probably because Risky is essentially half Swordfighter and half Gunner, so choosing one or the other would only be half-representing.

etnoika

Smash Cadet
I think I may be the only person out there crazy enough to believe that both Shantae and Reimu could get in lol.

By the way, when do you guys think we'll see the first announcement for FP2? E3 is still all the way in June and I don't see them waiting that long unless they're announcing two characters there.

Staarih

Smash Master
Funny how it’s the indie Mii costumes that also get the songs haha. Seeing as Sans and Cuphead are from critically acclaimed games, I think Hollow Knight will likely get a similar treatment if indie Mii costumes continue on.

Hopefully this will build up to an indie fighter, as many have mentioned. I have high hopes for Shantae. At least the ”competition” is going down with these Mii costume announcements lol.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I love that we don't have to worry about color theory anymore though. Turns out orange wasn't even the color people should've been speculating about since Byleth's background was green.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, a direct has yet to appear. Though, Smash has already made their news drop. So I expect it to not appear

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Yeah and WayForward is still silent on the matter. Oh well, we will see what goes on with this upcoming FP.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
We should tweet Shantae to Nintendo to get the message across how much she is wanted.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Yeah and WayForward is still silent on the matter. Oh well, we will see what goes on with this upcoming FP.
Yeah, Wayforward's complete radio silence on the issue of SSBU after Shantae's spirit reveal is completely out of character for them. Only time will tell if it means that our favourite half-genie hero has received the ultimate invitation.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Its not much....at all I wont even link it, but I found a leak saying character pack 6 release for April 12th if that happens, then I will reference the leak with a screencap.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
We should tweet Shantae to Nintendo to get the message across how much she is wanted.
No. I refuse to let our genie get mixed in with the type of Smash fans that incessantly post on things unrelated to Smash trying to ask for characters when it's unwarranted.
I do not want to be viewed as obnoxious or needy. We need to support her at the appropriate places, in the appropriate time, and in an appropriate manner.
Post fanart!
Make animations!
Play Shantae themed music!
But don't get carried away and make yourself look terrible by hash tagging #ShantaeForSmash on everything Nintendo posts.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
No. I refuse to let our genie get mixed in with the type of Smash fans that incessantly post on things unrelated to Smash trying to ask for characters when it's unwarranted.
I do not want to be viewed as obnoxious or needy. We need to support her at the appropriate places, in the appropriate time, and in an appropriate manner.
Post fanart!
Make animations!
Play Shantae themed music!
But don't get carried away and make yourself look terrible by hash tagging #ShantaeForSmash on everything Nintendo posts.
Good, that was a test, and you passed.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Best to not get noticed by a lot of people. More on just getting a steady amount with support while not standing out like the Dante leak before Byleth appeared.

Also, a image made by someone about the fan rules that are broken. (Seriously, fan rules don't mean anything at this point with Sakurai on Super Smash Bros.)
2251bb05b03c1e70cc7f460c0ad992c7.jpg

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
I was thinking Shantae and some others could be Mii Costumes with songs, but honestly she doesn't fit any of the molds and her kit would need to be way too unique. I think she would be a cool addition, is there a support list or something?

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
I was thinking Shantae and some others could be Mii Costumes with songs, but honestly she doesn't fit any of the molds and her kit would need to be way too unique. I think she would be a cool addition, is there a support list or something?
The Mii Costume would be bad because people would have the ability to put Sans in a bikini pretty much. I don't want this character to be reduced to a meme like him.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
It's been a hot minute (or months actually), how have things been in here? Any news on 7S? Or other assorted Shantae stuffs?

Top Bottom