• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I say be prepared to see Shantae get the Mii costume treatment Thursday. I don't have any sources, I'm just saying prepare for a bittersweet disappointment so we don't melt down.
I was very happy to see my boi Goemon get a Mii costume because I didn't expect him to get something like that in Smash in million years. Shantae though as a Mii costume I would very disappointed because she has a huge fanbase backing her up.

Gentlemen, calm down. The date on the DMC Twitter account indicates they were posted on the 7th and the 8th, respectively. As such, the only thing confirmed with regards to the DMC Tweets are that DMC3 on Switch will be updated. However, if we can produce solid evidence such as this:

Then there's solid chances that it'll be Dante. Or Phoenix Wright. Or Roll. Or a proper Zero. Or a Street Fighter/Darkstalkers/any other thing here. Seriously, Capcom has a megaton of different characters, so a Capcom copyright is not a full indication of Dante. A Namco copyright, though, may be more interesting.

At the end of it all, expect only one character from this stream. If we get a surprise announcement, then that's nice. If it's a surprise announcement of Shantae, then we can loose all our collective ****s.
I want Zero so badly man. He is my most wanted 3rd party rep besides my boi Goemon.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
After hearing what Zippo said I'm thinking it's probably Geno. I do wish it was our gal though. I hope both of them get in before the DLC lineup is all wrapped up.

Last edited:

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
You know what? I'm not quoting 5 people when I still remember my two points that over arch them all.

FP5 presentation with release and announcement for the next one is very possible, and what I've been feeling for a while.

So kind of Nintendo... ok my Shantae bias remembers her Nintendo roots and how she isnt solely living on Nintendo now because she traditionally released on Nintendo first before cross platformed before apple arcade just now on SS. She fits color and daisy theory.

I would like to add she is from a small enough company that leaking her would easily get the leaker in trouble. She matches the fun not just popular comment. She would pass the CERO test instead of Mai Shiranui (which is hinted at in a SS comment). Plus her new game allows for more smash friendly canon material.

Now idk Travis enough to have an opinion on him. But I know if people are saying Dante, then I think Lara Croft fits just as well, since she started on the N64 and is on plenty of things since.

Anyone else that's a Nintendo root character besides NES stuff?

Did Wayforward ever retweet the announcement for the Direct where Shantae was revealed as a Spirit? Just out of curiosity.
They had a "that's right Shantae is in smash as a spirit" tweet a little bit later.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Or maybe wayforward isnt tweeting about the direct to keep it a surprise if she is announced.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Man, I'm curious what they've got to show in this presentation. So many characters are being discussed right now, it's crazy.
35 minutes is pretty sizable too, especially if we don't get another full classic-mode playthrough XD
I just hope we also get some info on how they're going to handle the post-pass characters though, just so we know what we're getting into.

That thumbnail picture theory stuff is quite interesting though. However, after checking the picture myself, I didn't really see the same shades of greens and browns other people seem to see. I might be going crazy and seeing things but to me there's a very strong red on his elbow, followed by a tiny bit of yellow and then a fair bit purple as you go further up his arm. The green reflecting on his hair just makes me think it's the plant behind him. The purple could be artifacting from the black of his clothes, but it's oddly pronounced in this specific area (perhaps from the red?). I'm not too sure about the bit of yellow though, it's a bit washed out from other reflections and could be, for all I know, the white wall in the back. I'm pretty sure about the strong presence of red though.
If anyone is willing to take a look for themselves, let me know what you see. My mind is too made up on the colors to see anything else (and my Shantae bias probably doesn't help) so another perspective might help.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Here's what I think is all going to go down in the Presentation:

- Starts off with #75 reveal trailer.

- Sakurai talks a little bit about the character, it's lore, and it's franchise.

- Sakurai plays through Classic Mode as #75.

- Sakurai reveals the Mii costumes that will come along with #75.

- Sakurai probably announces that #75 will be released on that same day on Thursday.

- Shows off at the end of a quick sneak peek on who is the first post Season Pass character.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
If they do show a sneak peek to moving towards the Post DLC characters, then some people are in for a shock and surprise.

zferolie

Smash Hero
People have been pointing out the that artifacts around sakurai look to be brown and dark oranage right? Well look at Shantaes original logo, which tends to be how most of her logos are

220px-Shantae_Cover.jpg

The orange is her background, and any brown could be her skin...

I am stretching more then stretch armstrong here but having fun speculating haha

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
People have been pointing out the that artifacts around sakurai look to be brown and dark oranage right? Well look at Shantaes original logo, which tends to be how most of her logos are

View attachment 257695

The orange is her background, and any brown could be her skin...

I am stretching more then stretch armstrong here but having fun speculating haha
Or maybe the brown is her hair ;)

This was her early design before they changed it to the Shantae you see now.

Last edited:

etnoika

Smash Cadet
I seriously doubt they would do away with Shantae's purple hair, even for alt colors. There's that thing when it comes to character design, I forget what it's called, something to do with easily recognizable silhouettes.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Or maybe the brown is her hair ;)

Ultra Classic Shantae confirmed! :4pacman:

I seriously doubt they would do away with Shantae's purple hair, even for alt colors. There's that thing when it comes to character design, I forget what it's called, something to do with easily recognizable silhouettes.
But silhouettes would have to do more with the shape whether than the color.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
The color of her hair wouldn't affect her silhouette at all. If she is playable I'm almost certain one of her alts will be based on her original design. Sakurai loves digging into a characters past for their alts, hence why Ganondorph has a pig ganon alt and Kirby has a gameboy color alt. SHantae's hair would be the easiest part of her to change color and better rep other characters/easter eggs. Like I'm sure is she is added she will have a Rotty alt and a Nega Shantae alt and a Risky alt and such.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Actually, imagine they start Shantae's trailer off by a Unfortunate villain or invader to scuttle town gets whipped by something unknown and the camera moves with the unknown weapon only to reveal purple hair from the shadows

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The color of her hair wouldn't affect her silhouette at all. If she is playable I'm almost certain one of her alts will be based on her original design. Sakurai loves digging into a characters past for their alts, hence why Ganondorph has a pig ganon alt and Kirby has a gameboy color alt. SHantae's hair would be the easiest part of her to change color and better rep other characters/easter eggs. Like I'm sure is she is added she will have a Rotty alt and a Nega Shantae alt and a Risky alt and such.
I actually prefer Nega Shantae or Risky Boots as her Echo Fighter depending on where they go with Shantae's moveset. :p

Honestly, I want Risky just as bad as I want Shantae.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I actually prefer Nega Shantae or Risky Boots as her Echo Fighter depending on where they go with Shantae's moveset. :p
In a perfect world, sure. But I don't expect any DLC characters to get echos. Plus a character can have an alt color that references another character in the game. Mario and Wario both have alts of eachother, Peach still has her Daisy alt, and tho she isn't in Dixie isn;t being held back because Diddy has an alt that references her.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
In a perfect world, sure. But I don't expect any DLC characters to get echos. Plus a character can have an alt color that references another character in the game. Mario and Wario both have alts of eachother, Peach still has her Daisy alt, and tho she isn't in Dixie isn;t being held back because Diddy has an alt that references her.
I know I'm just stating that I would prefer one of them as a Echo instead of a color palette alt.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I know I'm just stating that I would prefer one of them as a Echo instead of a color palette alt.
You get no argument from me on that. More characters is always better, I just think we should all be happy if we get even one character in because a lot of people won't get their favorite in.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Actually, imagine they start Shantae's trailer off by a Unfortunate villain or invader to scuttle town gets whipped by something unknown and the camera moves with the unknown weapon only to reveal purple hair from the shadows
Or imagine the Ridley trailer continuing where it left off with Zero Suit Samus suicide charging against a dragon and before she is within range, something huge falls on Ridley crushing him. Samus lands and is now in the presence the giant looming figure covered in shadow still atop her nemesis thinking it's a Metroid Queen when suddenly it opens it's...anime eyes? And then it's revealed it was an elephant!

Dukefire

Smash Master
You get no argument from me on that. More characters is always better, I just think we should all be happy if we get even one character in because a lot of people won't get their favorite in.
and don't forget the salt for the initial character reveal that could last for a few months until the next character(s) are announced

zferolie

Smash Hero
As others have said, i doubt they would change shantaes hair color. Her color scheme is very perfect. I actually watched this video that went over how perfect the red and purple of her design goes, with the brown skin and yellow accessories.

Very good video in general 9f you guys havent watched.

As for her trailer, i see it going 2 ways. One would be a normal one where other foghters are doing stuff and she appears to help. Or, it starts showimg some unknown spirit from the end of the world of light flying out, and becoming shantae

Dukefire

Smash Master
Something maybe not relevant to the trailer coming tomorrow.
Ridley: dark
Simon and Richter Belmont: Scary and dark
King K Rool: silly and lighthearted
Ken and Incineroar: serious
World of Light: against all odds
Piranha Plant: Silly and serious
Joker: Epic and looking cool
Hero: Tension and Hope
Banjo & Kazooie: silly and Hype
Terry: throwback and serious on nostalgia
Challenger 5: ???

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Sigh... Why do people keep saying Risky Boots should be Shantae's Echo?
Can Risky whip with her hair or do any of the moves Shantae can?

No!
Risky's moves are different from Shantae's.
So I don't see how she could be an Echo.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Not sure if anyone mentiomed this, but James Montagna, one of the main directors at wayforward and shantae series. Has liked the sakurai live stream tweet...

Dukefire

Smash Master
Not sure if anyone mentiomed this, but James Montagna, one of the main directors at wayforward and shantae series. Has liked the sakurai live stream tweet...
More just watching the stream like everyone else. Not much I can say that could point to something.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Minor side note: we've reached 900 pages.

Not bad for a character "disconfirmed by spirits".

Top Bottom