• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Anyway, the hype train is on full throttle to final Fighter Pass challenger. Then its the post DLC characters after its done.
Screenshot_20191228-105319_YouTube.jpg

Who could it be? Is it Travis Touchdown? Dante? Arle from Puyo Puyo?
The fire is strong here.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I can't say about this tention, but I can put this music to somewhat match it.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I say be prepared to see Shantae get the Mii costume treatment Thursday. I don't have any sources, I'm just saying prepare for a bittersweet disappointment so we don't melt down.
I just dont know what mii fighter she could be for. She doesnt fit any of them

kazoka122

Smash Cadet
Welp the time has come. After fighter #5 comes and goes, we should all show our support for our favorite half genie hero (respectfully of course) along with a brand new hashtag if necessary. This time it's all or nothing!

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I just dont know what mii fighter she could be for. She doesnt fit any of them
The easiest answer would be just make her a brawler since in still shots it wouldn't look "off" from her constantly holding a weapon. However lots of mii fighters just don't fit the character they are. Ashley and Viridi using their wand and staff like a sword doesn;t really make sense ans Sans certainly never sported a Ghaster Blaster instead of an arm.

That said, I don't think Shantae will get a Mii Costume. for me, any Mii Costume that doesn't cover the face just never works. Sans looks fine because it doesn't rely on making a mii face that "almost" looks like that actual character. similarly Shovel Knight works because it's a full helmet. If they made a Shantae Mii costume, it would just be her hair (maybe her pointy ears too) and you would have to deal with those clumsy mii faces which just wouldn't look good at all.

I think Shantae will ether get a fighter or nothing else. Now how long we have to wait to find out which of those it is is anyone's guess.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Everyone is going on speculation frenzy now with sakurai going over the mysterious Challenger 5 coming on Thursday.

Let the games begin and endure for the salt to come.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Gameexplain has a new smash video out, and not only do they mention shantae, but they also play her music for most of the discussion. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!!

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Gameexplain has a new smash video out, and not only do they mention shantae, but they also play her music for most of the discussion. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!!

Yeah, it was nice hearing our girl get a shout out from them, and more how all three of them received the idea of her being playable positively.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
this will be the first time A DLC Character has been revealed and Released the same day for smash ultimate(Highly doubt they'd Show off FP5 and then say stay tuned for the release date of FP5 Next month!)

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Finally I am back(my AC adapter broke so I got a replacement while I wait for mine to get in the mail).

But man, this is it guys. Character #5 hasn't been leaked at all(unless I am missing something?) and we have less than 2 days before we can find out more. What is going to happen? Will we get spoiled first or be informed first?

#ShantaeForSmashDLC

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I'm alright with Dante, should he be the 5th Fighter's Pass character.
Shantae is still my wish of course and I still think she has a chance at this point.

So no need for arbitrary negativity.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The easiest answer would be just make her a brawler since in still shots it wouldn't look "off" from her constantly holding a weapon. However lots of mii fighters just don't fit the character they are. Ashley and Viridi using their wand and staff like a sword doesn;t really make sense ans Sans certainly never sported a Ghaster Blaster instead of an arm.

That said, I don't think Shantae will get a Mii Costume. for me, any Mii Costume that doesn't cover the face just never works. Sans looks fine because it doesn't rely on making a mii face that "almost" looks like that actual character. similarly Shovel Knight works because it's a full helmet. If they made a Shantae Mii costume, it would just be her hair (maybe her pointy ears too) and you would have to deal with those clumsy mii faces which just wouldn't look good at all.

I think Shantae will ether get a fighter or nothing else. Now how long we have to wait to find out which of those it is is anyone's guess.
It's the painted-on bras that would concern me in a theoretical Mii costume.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Eh. Not looking forward to another Mii Slaughter Fest + Rated-M character reveal, but s'gonna be alright. More anticipation for post DLC, nonetheless.
Minalugar.gif

Yes, she has clothes on.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Gentlemen, calm down. The date on the DMC Twitter account indicates they were posted on the 7th and the 8th, respectively. As such, the only thing confirmed with regards to the DMC Tweets are that DMC3 on Switch will be updated. However, if we can produce solid evidence such as this:

Then there's solid chances that it'll be Dante. Or Phoenix Wright. Or Roll. Or a proper Zero. Or a Street Fighter/Darkstalkers/any other thing here. Seriously, Capcom has a megaton of different characters, so a Capcom copyright is not a full indication of Dante. A Namco copyright, though, may be more interesting.

At the end of it all, expect only one character from this stream. If we get a surprise announcement, then that's nice. If it's a surprise announcement of Shantae, then we can loose all our collective ****s.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Things are getting exciting once again.

Man, this speculation arc's pacing was crap. Like I'm watching an anime adaption of a manga who's artist had to take a sick month.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I'm not trying to be mean posting this but with how much the internet is throwing a rave party over Dante is convincing me he might not be in as 5th. Nice as it'd be, I just dunno if Sakurai would let it be that obvious and let Capcom say something like they did without it potentially spoiling the fighter if it is Dante. Otherwise I'm wrong and oh well.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm not trying to be mean posting this but with how much the internet is throwing a rave party over Dante is convincing me he might not be in as 5th. Nice as it'd be, I just dunno if Sakurai would let it be that obvious and let Capcom say something like they did without it potentially spoiling the fighter if it is Dante. Otherwise I'm wrong and oh well.
Considering Japan isn't too hot on VA spoiling things, I'm sceptical about it.

Dante is still the front runner in my head, with a very big however attached.

Wanted to say "but", would have invoked giggles in that sentence.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
so this rumor is floating around

sounds like if these are to be belived, the 5th fighting is tied closely to nintendo but not owned by nintendo. Also another post from Zippo said they could also live with or without Nintendo,

... Shantae grew up and was nintendo exclusive for most of her life. Matt planned for her to be tied to Nintendo for ages. She can live without nintendo based on her last 2 games. She also fits Daisy theory and color theory...

Guys help me i'm getting too much hope.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Some people are still believing that Dante or Travis is coming due to some coincidences of Sakurai posing with 3 fingers.
Screenshot_20200114-085117_YouTube.jpg

zferolie

Smash Hero
Some people are still believing that Dante or Travis is coming due to some coincidences of Sakurai posing with 3 fingers.
i really don't think the 3 fingers mean anything. Honestly I think Sakurai thinks its a cool pose, and he finds it amusing that people will overanalyze his fingers

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
so this rumor is floating around

sounds like if these are to be belived, the 5th fighting is tied closely to nintendo but not owned by nintendo. Also another post from Zippo said they could also live with or without Nintendo,

... Shantae grew up and was nintendo exclusive for most of her life. Matt planned for her to be tied to Nintendo for ages. She can live without nintendo based on her last 2 games. She also fits Daisy theory and color theory...

Guys help me i'm getting too much hope.
This is making me think of numerous NES Era characters. Like Ryu Hayabusa, Bill Rizer (the protagonist of Contra), Jason and his Sophia III tank, Billy and Jimmy from Double Dragon, hell, even Kunio-kun. It could easily mean Shantae, too, but I'm going back to the NES era since that seems to be one of the more likely characters.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well we better make a list of all the characters that can be considered Nintendo characters but are not.

I will go first.

Shantae. That is all lol.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Huh. Well, okay. I'mma say Geno, then.
Geno fits for most of it, but that part about how the character can "Live with or without Nintendo" kinda gets in Geno's way there as tho Square owns him, I don't believe they are allowed to use him without Nintendo.

That said, Geno would make a lot of sense for closing out the fighter pass as all the other "Big fan wants" from past Smash bros iterations have mostly been included with Geno being the big outlier.

Were it Geno I would be certainly happy, but I could see it going either way here.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Though, he hasn't appeared since his last appearence in the GBA version of the easter egg in Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga

Last edited:

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
Hello everyone! Im typically from the Geno thread, but just wanted to stop on by and let you guys know I have my hopes for Shantae as well (for DLC).

Not only is she a spirit like Geno and that would break that fan rule, but I genuinely think she would be a great character and would be happy for you guys if she got in smash ultimate outside of her spirit appearance. Best of luck! :)

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Hello everyone! Im typically from the Geno thread, but just wanted to stop on by and let you guys know I have my hopes for Shantae as well (for DLC).

Not only is she a spirit like Geno and that would break that fan rule, but I genuinely think she would be a great character and would be happy for you guys if she got in smash ultimate outside of her spirit appearance. Best of luck! :)
Thanks for stopping by! There's lots of appreciation for Geno in this thread too and both he and Shantae are in the same boat with being spirits. Wishing you Geno fans the best as well. If one of them gets in it's only good news for the other getting in in the next round of DLC.

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
Thanks for stopping by! There's lots of appreciation for Geno in this thread too and both he and Shantae are in the same boat with being spirits. Wishing you Geno fans the best as well. If one of them gets in it's only good news for the other getting in in the next round of DLC.
For sure! Ill probably stop by occasionally, but lets hope one or the other gets in because its good news for all of us! :)

Last edited:

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
So, we're getting Shante this time, right guys?

I've been gone for a loooong time. Also, hi again everyone.

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
That new rumor could apply to Shantae indeed, however, I still have a hard time believing she's part of the Fighter Pass, and since I bet my marbles on Travis from the moment Sakurai did his three-finger thing and this rumor applies to him as well, I'm gonna stick with him for the moment. I hope to be wrong, since as I said, I never played No More Heroes and don't care much about him, while I'm much more involved in Shantae.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
I Really would be surprised if FP5 isn't available later after the presentation...that was the case with hero banjo and terry

unless the character isn't nearly finished i doubt we'll just see FP5 teased and then told to check in on nintendo's twitter account to find out when FP5 is released

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I Really would be surprised if FP5 isn't available later after the presentation...that was the case with hero banjo and terry

unless the character isn't nearly finished i doubt we'll just see FP5 teased and then told to check in on nintendo's twitter account to find out when FP5 is released
I have an inkling that they may show off the first post pass character to keep momentum going and this presentation took so long as they were keeping things under wraps.

May even be why there's contradictory info on who the character is.

I wouldn't count on it tho.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
It's the painted-on bras that would concern me in a theoretical Mii costume.
Theoretically, she could just wind up with a Mii hat like Dixie.

Anyways, that "Mr. Sakurai presents" headliner has me thinking it's Crash Bandicoot. Those good old Naughty Dog days.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
If we take Zippo's word, Shantae fits super well. She was born and attached to nintendo at the start, but now can live without nintendo. She fits daisy and color theory. She also fits the idea that this was the final DLC planned originally, and Sakurai probably wanted to end this with fan requests. making 2 popula fan requests spirits, to throw people off expecting them, then adding them as the last DLC, one for fighter and the other a bonus, is very fitting.

EDIT: The last word from Zippo. Sabi seems to trust him, and has a good record on that board, so gonna say what he says has merit.

That does fit both Shantae and Geno very well. Shantae due to her very long Nintendo history, and Geno because of the crazy duel ownership. I am still a wisher that means both will show up, for what I said above,

Last edited:
Top Bottom