• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Possibly more leaks people are bring up on smash speculation with a Nintendo Direct coming soon.
I hope we get an announcement of the next Nintendo Direct either today or tomorrow because I really don't want to wait until February because we have waited long enough.

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
RetrogamerMax, how's the Ganbare Goemon video game series? Never played it. It's platformer, right?

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I hope we get an announcement of the next Nintendo Direct either today or tomorrow because I really don't want to wait until February because we have waited long enough.
Well Directs always seem to be announced the day before they happen so if it's this Thursday, we have to wait Wednesday for a confirmation.

I hope it's this week. It's bad enough the hiatus has been this long but we're stuck with the last thing we heard being a spammed ad back at the VGAs. "Did you know the Switch has games?" It's a game system? Mind blown!

Dukefire

Smash Master
Usually its the case yes. Just don't always think of coincidences. Nintendo has plans that could go in a different direction for us unexpectedly.

zferolie

Smash Hero
looks like they have another spirit event happening, this time for Astral CHain. Starting the 17th

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
looks like they have another spirit event happening, this time for Astral CHain. Starting the 17th
Aren't we all glad Shantae got in the base game to avoid the ramifications of being added as a spirit or other post-launch? I feel kind of bad, but also find it kind of funny that the notion of not appearing in the game at all improves odds is no longer so certain.

It was always gonna be a cold day in hell before someone from that game got in before Rex, Pyra and Mythra.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
RetrogamerMax, how's the Ganbare Goemon video game series? Never played it. It's platformer, right?
Yes, it's a platforming series. It's great and it's one of the most underrated gaming franchises I can think of.

You play as these 4 ninjas in the Edo period of Japan Goemon, Ebismaru, Sasuke, and Yae and they always encounter the weirdest bad guys you can think of always trying to invade Japan in some form. For example: A couple of the main antagonists in one game is descendants of two of the main protagonists from the future and one is a transgender nun.

At the end of most levels you get in this giant robot called Impact and fight other giant robots like it's Power Rangers. The Impact battles are in first person view so it's like playing a completely different game when you enter those awesome battles. Here is a taste of some Impact goodness:

Isn't Impact awesome?

Anyway, some of the games are side scrollers while some are 3D platformers.

There are over 30 games in the series and we only got 4 games release here in the west. Games being: Legend of the Mystical Ninja/Ganbare Goemon 1 (SNES), Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon/Ganbare Goemon 5 (N64), Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon (GB), and Goemon's Great Adventure/Ganbare Goemon 6 (N64). I highly recommend trying out the N64 games first especially Goemon's Great Adventure as that is the best side scroller on the system as well as one of the best side scrollers ever in my opinion. Don't play the Gameboy game though that game sucks. The first SNES game is pretty good too, but it doesn't have Impact in it because Impact made his debut in the Japan exclusive Ganbare Goemon 2 for the SFC.

The Ganbare Goemon series is my all time favorite gaming franchise of all time. It always has amazing platforming stages, colorful backgrounds, and quirky, funny, and unique characters in it's games. Though there are some games in the series that drop the ball hard, that doesn't take away from the facts about the amazing games in the series. Best games being the SFC/SNES and N64 games followed by the Famicom games. I highly recommend checking the games out.

Last edited:

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
Your enthusiasm is a pleasure to read RetrogamerMax ^^ From the looks of it, this series looks very Japanese in contents and tone, from the setting to the overall kind of humor and mecha stuff, so I understand why they're hesitating to localize it. Nevertheless sounds interesting, I'll try to check them out!

It looks like one of those series that are bigger in Japan than in the West like Puyo Puyo, Power Instinct or (in a different genre) Ogre. I always find it interesting to investigate such stuff - for the potential hidden gem, my own video game culture and, to a lesser degree, to contextualize better Smash speculation.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It looks like one of those series that are bigger in Japan than in the West like Puyo Puyo, Power Instinct or (in a different genre) Ogre.
The series is much bigger in Japan with more than 4/5 of the games being only release in the Land of the Rising Sun. Plus I would go as far to say that it is one of Konami's most iconic franchises despite most of the games being only released in Japan and the sells of the games not doing as well here in the west (Obliviously because of poor marketing on Konami's part). The first game Mr. Goemon came out in the arcades in Japan back in May of 1986 so it is one of Konami's oldest franchises even predating Castlevania, Contra, and Metal Gear Solid. The first SNES game Legend of the Mystical Ninja or Ganbare Goemon 1 is on the Super Famicom Mini in Japan even though that game was release in the States but wasn't on the SNES Mini. Goemon got a Mii costume recently and I think it might have been the Japanese fans that got him that Mii costume. Anyways, I hope you check out the series and enjoy it C ChadTR . :)

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Sakurai stream confirmed for the 16th! News on dlc character confirmed!

zferolie

Smash Hero
Buckle up boys. Its happening. And we are going in completely blind. No leaks, no nothing. I cannot wait!

zferolie

Smash Hero
Watch Vergeben and Sabi leak #5 within the next 24 hours lmao!
They may, but i have a feeling no one really knows, sakurai has a super tight lid on this.

A 35 minute direct for 1 character though. Must have a lot of details for them. I wonder if he'll surprise people at the end for a trailer for the 6th

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Given how DMC's producer tweeted to stay tuned for the 16th and now that this presentation's been announced for that date, I'm in the boat that FP5 is Dante so I feel that Shantae's best chance now will be as a post-FP fighter.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Some fanart.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Edit: The Direct! Finally!

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Given how DMC's producer tweeted to stay tuned for the 16th and now that this presentation's been announced for that date, I'm in the boat that FP5 is Dante so I feel that Shantae's best chance now will be as a post-FP fighter.
Then wouldn't that break an NDA?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
They may, but i have a feeling no one really knows, sakurai has a super tight lid on this.

A 35 minute direct for 1 character though. Must have a lot of details for them. I wonder if he'll surprise people at the end for a trailer for the 6th
Perhaps, but it is a Vergeben like thing to do to wait and leak the character the day before they're revealed. Like I said before, I think Verge and Sabi probably know who FP5 is because they have been deconfirming all these characters left from right. They were either probably too afraid to say anything about who #5 was because of the possibility of the Nintenjas hinting down their ***** or they teased us this whole time only to revealed who is was the day before to ruin everyones' hype.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps, but it is a Vergeben like thing to do to wait and leak the character the day before they're revealed. Like I said before, I think Verge and Sabi probably know who FP5 is because they have been deconfirming all these characters left from right. They were either probably too afraid to say anything about who #5 was because of the possibility of the Nintenjas hinting down their ***** or they teased us this whole time only to revealed who is was the day before to ruin everyones' hype.
Well Sabi knows the person that knows (at least who one fighter to be is) and kept asking about them. The source person never outright told Sabi who'd only blab it, since the in circle is small enough to be traced to the leaker.

Verge is a different story. I dont think anyone figured him out.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
AFAIK, he only mentions to mark the 16th, 30th January and 13 February on your calendars so I'm don't know if an NDA has been broken or not. Here's the tweet in question:

https://twitter.com/DevilMayCry/status/1214686995588341760
It's just funny timing everyone knew the Direct happening on the 16th was a given so to have a dev tell us to get ready for that day is suspect.

Don't get me wrong, in the event Dante is the 5th, I won't complain. Least it would disprove Verg/Sabi saying he's not in.

Last edited:

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
Can't get enough of that dab.

EOM6CgsUcAAiZhu.jpg

Seriously, this should be a meme. Is that a hint of some sort? My mind is racing at the moment XD

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Can't wait for it to be my boy Phoenix with Dante as a Mii Swordfighter costume

Dukefire

Smash Master
Lets try to approach this in a more cautious way. We still don't know who is the last one before the Post DLC starts.
Screenshot_20200102-101635_YouTube.jpg

zferolie

Smash Hero
There is no way nintendo would have allowed them to say that to potentially spoul it. Sakurai wants this to he a complete surprise according to his tweet, so i think that auto rules out Dante

Its possible but i hope they dont haha

etnoika

Smash Cadet
If it does turn out to be Bling Bling Yahoo Pizza Man, it ain't a bad choice. I've always wanted to get into the series and this might finally motivate me to do it since the first three games are gonna be on Switch. There's still a chance it could be someone else though.

(Although you guys don't think that there's a tiny chance Dante might hurt Shantae's chances because of their very similar names, is there? That was always a concern for me if he ever got in. I know there's Mario and Dr. Mario, Pikachu and Pichu, etc, but still...)

zferolie

Smash Hero
I wouldnt mind dante, just not expecting him at all. I feel that if anythimg dante is in smash shown tommorow, its that he is a mii costume fighter or is the 6th revealed at the end. He is not the 5th

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
(Although you guys don't think that there's a tiny chance Dante might hurt Shantae's chances because of their very similar names, is there? That was always a concern for me if he ever got in. I know there's Mario and Dr. Mario, Pikachu and Pichu, etc, but still...)
Dante and Shantae have almost the same names? WUT?!

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
I'm not expecting Dante as FP5 either (because of Sabi and Verge), if I'd have to bet, I'd say first character post-FP. No idea who FP5 will be, though my current bet is Travis until further notice.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I don't really know if that Tweet is about this tho. First off, in Japan the Live stream will be happening close to MIdnight (my math could be off, but JST is 17 hours ahead of PST, so 17+6=23) So if it he was tweeting about news on the 16th, that just barely squeaks by.

Second the tweet mentions two other dates and that doesn't make much sense to me. I could understand 2 dates (a reveal and a release) but what would the significance of a third date mean for Dante in Smash?

Also I am not completely sure we will even need 2 dates. This stream is 35 minutes long, that's plenty of time to go over all the intricacies of a new character, which means whoever they are showing off is probably done to be able to go that in depth about them. PLus it is happening on a Thursday which is when the eshop updates and new things release. I could easily be wrong, but I wouldn;t be surprised if fighter #5 is released shortly after the stream.

I personally have no investment in Dante and would be a little disappointing that yet another one of the fighter pack is someone I care not at all about, but I would at least be happy for his fans. However, personal bias aside, I don't really feel that tweet is about this at all.

Either way, it's pretty exciting to have a destination in view. Even more curious since there really hasn't been much chatter or rumors at all floating about since Terry surprised everyone. #5 could honestly be anyone at this point and even if they are some one I don't care about in the least, the possibilities are still exciting to think about.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
I say be prepared to see Shantae get the Mii costume treatment Thursday. I don't have any sources, I'm just saying prepare for a bittersweet disappointment so we don't melt down.

Top Bottom