• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
So that's Bandai Namco and Level 5 disconfirmed then. That realistically only leaves a handful of characters left for FP5 like Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, Arle Nadja, Dragonborn, Reimu Hakurei and potentially, Shantae.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
When you think about it, the fighters we've gotten up until now have aspects that calling them "big names" a bit dubious. Joker was arguably too new to have truly hit stardom, Hero would be the closest to that status if not for lesser Western popularity... and not actually having official names, while Banjo-Kazooie and Terry both haven't starred in a game for decades. They all have their own reasons for having been picked that don't necessarily come to how much clout they carry.

The picks largely come from a mix of fan demand and the whims of Sakurai, leaning a bit towards the latter.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I'm of the belief that base game spirits do not deconfirm characters. So until either WayForward or Sakurai explicitly deconfirm her, hope still lives on for Shantae.

While I don't think Shantae is DLC5, I do think she has a strong shot at being a post fighter's pass character.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So god...how many characters have been deconfirmed in one way or antoher for Fp5?
So far:

Geno
Doomslayer
Crash Bandicoot
Ryu Hayabusa
Tracer
Gordon Freeman
Scorpion
Dante
All Ubisoft characters
All Nippon Ichi Software Characters
All Falcom Characters
Lloyd Irving

Now people are vouching for KOS-MOS for FP5. Of course, there's a small part of me that likes to think it's Shantae but I'm more confident that she'll be post-FP DLC than I am that she'll be FP5.
All Namco characters entirely too as well as all Level 5 characters have been deconfirmed not to be FP5 by Verge.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Not a lot of cards are left on the field. Though, its still too soon to call your hand the winning hand. Call it now.........
Screenshot_20190607-022410_YouTube.jpg

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Then who the heck is FP5? All of the most speculated characters (and more) have been deconfirmed for it. Shantae is still (barely) alive, but given the pattern this Fighter's Pass has established, who in the blue can it be? Sakurai himself?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well here's a few off the wall choices

Dragonborn
Sabre from Stay Fate Night (Started as a VN so it counts)
Phoenix Wright
Cooking Mama
Harvest Moon/Story of Season Farmer
Sora (owned by Disney instead of SE)

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Then who the heck is FP5? All of the most speculated characters (and more) have been deconfirmed for it. Shantae is still (barely) alive, but given the pattern this Fighter's Pass has established, who in the blue can it be? Sakurai himself?
You never know....

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
- A Sega character
- Monster Hunter
- Break pattern and start adding Nintendo characters again
- Any indie character besides Shovel Knight
- M00NFIRE94 M00NFIRE94 's profile pic

Both indies and Monster Hunter Iceborne also happen to be primed to make appearances at the Game Awards...

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
- A Sega character
- Monster Hunter

Both indies and Monster Hunter Iceborne also happen to be primed to make appearances at the Game Awards...
That's Indivisible. And I don't know about Monster Hunter. As cool as that would be, the developers tend to avoid putting the avatar in cross over stuff, they like to push focus on the monsters themselves.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That's Indivisible. And I don't know about Monster Hunter. As cool as that would be, the developers tend to avoid putting the avatar in cross over stuff, they like to push focus on the monsters themselves.
In the past they have had an aversion to putting any Monster Hunter content in Capcom crossovers. And yet...
I notice that the monsters get used more in games that aren't of the fighting variety, or to fill out a roster in a card game like Teppen (the fact that there actually is a set of Monster Hunter cards there is pretty significant with the past stinginess in mind, though!). Smash isn't like most fighting games, but the point still stands that it's between the hunters and Palicoes for playable representation.

And yes, I know what Indivisible is. It's well known in these parts because Shantae is slated to make a guest appearance in that game, alongside several other indies (including Shovel Knight, again). I'm just waiting for the later Switch version to release. Ajna could be a very interesting character if built around the style of using assists.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
In the past they have had an aversion to putting any Monster Hunter content in Capcom crossovers. And yet...
I notice that the monsters get used more in games that aren't of the fighting variety, or to fill out a roster in a card game like Teppen (the fact that there actually is a set of Monster Hunter cards there is pretty significant with the past stinginess in mind, though!). Smash isn't like most fighting games, but the point still stands that it's between the hunters and Palicoes for playable representation.

And yes, I know what Indivisible is. It's well known in these parts because Shantae is slated to make a guest appearance in that game, alongside several other indies (including Shovel Knight, again). I'm just waiting for the later Switch version to release. Ajna could be a very interesting character if built around the style of using assists.
MVCI was literally Capcom specifically NOT asking permission from Monster Hunter staff to do that, so its not a good example.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
There's speculation that Phoenix Wright might be FP5.

I'd be fine with that.

zferolie

Smash Hero

MaN nice butt shot there :p

so far shantae's only crossover is Indivisible. which is awesome, but shame she doesn't branch out as much.

MVCI was literally Capcom specifically NOT asking permission from Monster Hunter staff to do that, so its not a good example.
Really? who said that? Shame MvCI flopped so hard thanks to disney

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
j
MaN nice butt shot there :p

so far shantae's only crossover is Indivisible. which is awesome, but shame she doesn't branch out as much.

Really? who said that? Shame MvCI flopped so hard thanks to disney
no I mean they'd normally have to get in contact with the Monster Hunter people of Capcom, and Capcom didnt DO that.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'm of the belief that base game spirits do not deconfirm characters. So until either WayForward or Sakurai explicitly deconfirm her, hope still lives on for Shantae.

While I don't think Shantae is DLC5, I do think she has a strong shot at being a post fighter's pass character.
I'm worried this might make me come off as biased to most people, but this is my exact mindset right now regarding things.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
So far Shantae's only crossover is Indivisible. which is awesome, but shame she doesn't branch out as much.
Any word on when Shantae is added?
Wasn't Shantae also in Blaster Master Zero DLC, Mutant Mudds and Runbow?

Assist Trophy Waluigi.

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist. :troll:

On the subject of Waluigi songs...

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Any word on when Shantae is added?
Wasn't Shantae also in Blaster Master Zero DLC, Mutant Mudds and Runbow?
She is teased to release in a free update/expansion, though I don't know when. And yeah, you're right on the money with those. The biggest one, honestly, was with regards to WarioWare DIY with the Shantae NAB! microgame. Technically, it doesn't count since the game was made from the ground-up in a microgame maker, but considering that Nintendo of America or Intelligent Systems gave it a shoutout in the Big Name Games catagory, I think it counts pretty heavily in there.

Speaking of WarioWare, it could be pretty fun if 9-Volt poked at Indie games that made a big splash on Nintendo products via microgames.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
On the first day countdown, my true love gave to me.......
*Ahem*

On the twelth day of count down, Sakurai gave to me ....

Twelve gamers raging
Eleven captured spirits
Ten leakers laughing
Nine genies dancing
Eight brawlers punching
Seven swordsmen slashing
Six gunners shooting
Five OBJECTIONS
Four pokemon
Three key blades
Too many Links
And
Assist Trophy Waluigi.
:kirby:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
This will be me as I halfheartedly watch the Game Awards on the 12th and Shantae gets revealed.
Jelly Jiggler reaction lollipop.gif

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
So it looks like River City Girls got nominated at steam awards. That's something at least.

Sorry for any confusion for those who read this post before I edited it.

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
- A Sega character
- Monster Hunter

I wish Indivisible was at the VGAs. That game birthed a whole new combined genre backed with great characters and story. It's not right.

It would be nice seeing an indie rep finally make it but yeah we definitely can't rule Capcom out yet either. It's interesting how Verg and Sabi's sources haven't ruled out that company completely (only a few of their characters) but have for Namco, Level 5 and Ubisoft.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I wish Indivisible was at the VGAs. That game birthed a whole new combined genre backed with great characters and story. It's not right.

It would be nice seeing an indie rep finally make it but yeah we definitely can't rule Capcom out yet either. It's interesting how Verg and Sabi's sources haven't ruled out that company completely (only a few of their characters) but have for Namco, Level 5 and Ubisoft.
Considering Switch owners have not even had the chance to play Indivisible yet...

I get the feeling this delay isn't just about getting used to the Switch, but also getting the add-on content (plus patches?) on smoothly, which should help it put it's best foot forward when it does get the chance for awards.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Keep in mind you can vote for ANY STEAM GAME in the Steam Awards. As an effort to show WayForward how much we love their half-genie hero, let's vote for Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - Ultimate Edition for the Labor of Love Award!
Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 8.10.35 AM.png

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Keep in mind you can vote for ANY STEAM GAME in the Steam Awards. As an effort to show WayForward how much we love their half-genie hero, let's vote for Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - Ultimate Edition for the Labor of Love Award!
View attachment 249433
Shouldn't you technically vote for the original HGH since that's the one that kept getting updated? Versus the version that was a re-release with all of said updates? Or would everyone just vote for the ultimate edition and be done with it?

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Shouldn't you technically vote for the original HGH since that's the one that kept getting updated? Versus the version that was a re-release with all of said updates? Or would everyone just vote for the ultimate edition and be done with it?
Ultimate Edition because it has content the original release never got.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
View attachment 249433
Did you write up that text, and/or recently instead of a few years ago?

Because at this point, saying it's still getting updates is a falsehood.

Top Bottom