• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I didn’t say they would be back with more info on that day I said that they posted it on the day this supposed female character was gonna get revealed
I can see the connection, I just don’t think it’s enough for a debunk since it possibly doesn’t matter.

But yeah, it’s likely fake anyway tbh.

D

Deleted member

I can see the connection, I just don’t think it’s enough for a debunk since it possibly doesn’t matter.

But yeah, it’s likely fake anyway tbh.
Ok.
let’s just stop here before we turn one page into an argument

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I hate to play Devil's Advocate, but...

What if WayForward is being quiet because what if there's a Shantae Spirit event... and not Shantae as a Fighter?
Then we will rejoice because she gets more advertisements and we will get the spirits of all her friends like we know would come with her anyway. And we might still finally get Seven Sirens news by or around then too.

You actually make a good point here... However, would the monsters and specific background characters in Shantae also present certain hurdles in terms of CERO?
The woman monsters wouldn't make it, and definitely not the female bog monster, but there are more than enough characters they could make a huge spirit list and still not hit the monsters. Skipping HGH Shantae and Risky: Sky, Bolo, Rotty, Mimic, Poe, Abner, any of the new half-genies, the mayor, the chef, other reoccurring townsfolk (fat lady, wall leaner, pot carrier, etc), Twitch and Vinegar, Tech/Armor/Squid Barons, Pirate King, Tinkerbats, scarecrows, any of Shantae's transformations. There's plenty to pick from.

And if the main two made it, a generic Princess Jasmine from the background probably won't matter. At most, they might have to avoid Giga Mermaid, humanoid monsters, and one of Sky's bodice designs. Remember, sexy is different than sexualized.

Actually, could we add in the bullet point that Shantae, with regards to the Spirit List, seems to be added in last minute? Like, most of the other characters are arranged as they are, the main outlier being Shantae and Risky Boots, who are dead last in the base game. This may potentially indicate Sakurai thinking seriously about adding her in, but due to the time constraints of Smash Ultimate's development cycle, they had her become a Spirit. With the DLC, if she were included, it can likely be due to Matt Bozon and WayForward going back to negotiating with Sakurai to try to get her to fighter status. This might explain the radio silence, or they could be focusing on more in-house projects. Essentially, she can be like Rex and Pyra in that regard.

I would argue that a Namco rep seems to be more likely for DLC 5 than a Capcom rep.
Doesn't it seem odd where the spirits are too? Shantae is just way in the corner, where they could have placed anybody. And Risky is wherever she is in the Dark World (been neglecting adventure mode). They must have figured out the sections. The programmers needed the basic coding to say "this spirit grabs X fighter using Y chroma on Z stage using A, B, and C match rules" and artists had to draw that part of the background image (at least a rough draft of it). Once that stuff gets figured out and the basic spirit stuff gets coded, it really is just a matter of spirit #400 needs whatever new jpeg and such rules for the match, which could be done later. Being a last min addition is very likely.

To me, I'd ask for the two HGH spirits to advertise the Switch port for the base game, and then focus on Seven Sirens/overarching series stuff for a fighter later on in DLC. In exchange, I would be more generous with the bonus content of spirits/music for the fighter down the line.

Though I am curious whom else might have gone in those slots; who were switched out for the Shantae ones, or would fill in if negotiations didn't go well.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As far as I see it, FP5 most likely won't be a random well-known third party, especially after the little spiel Sakurai had in regards to the character being fun a main concern over recognisability.

Meanwhile, Doom's monsters are seen as no big deal. Probably helps that they'd only use the old-school sprites anyway.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say these Resident Evil spirits do unfortunately deconfirm them for DLC entirely. Adding spirits post fighters pass and especially now is a very nice way of saying: "We have no plans to make characters from this series playable in future DLC, here's your consolation." Especially considering the 4 they picked are the 4 most important characters to Resident Evil. Spirits in the base game are entirely different since they hadn't planned for extra DLC when they included them.
The kicker in all of this is that the Pokémon supporters are going in denial mode ever since that DLC Gen 8 spirit event happened. If one of the evos for the starters are supposedly getting used, then why would there be spirits of Gen 8 now?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Doesn't it seem odd where the spirits are too? Shantae is just way in the corner, where they could have placed anybody. And Risky is wherever she is in the Dark World (been neglecting adventure mode). They must have figured out the sections. The programmers needed the basic coding to say "this spirit grabs X fighter using Y chroma on Z stage using A, B, and C match rules" and artists had to draw that part of the background image (at least a rough draft of it). Once that stuff gets figured out and the basic spirit stuff gets coded, it really is just a matter of spirit #400 needs whatever new jpeg and such rules for the match, which could be done later. Being a last min addition is very likely.
That "corner" is a tropical island that matches the usual settings of Sequin Land, and she's also standing on a wooden bridge not unlike the one she crosses from her lighthouse.

Meanwhile Risky is on a "sunken" pirate ship (or as much as it can be in that strange dimension), guarding another big, bad pirate that is King K. Rool. He is even fought on normal Pirate Ship when most other characters get omegas. They were really commited to the pirate setting there.

D

Deleted member

Hey, I hate to play Devil's Advocate, but...

What if WayForward is being quiet because what if there's a Shantae Spirit event... and not Shantae as a Fighter?
Highly doubt it. No character in the other series that was in base has gotten more spirits. And most of the other series post game spirits had mostly the main characters and no additionals

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So as it turns out, dataminers/hackers digged into Ultimate's code and it turns out the game can only handle a 11 more slots in the roster before it crashes.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
We’ve already talked about that.
you’re kinda late
Sorry, I was at work last night. Plus I heard about this in the Geno thread first so I didn't know you guys already went over it. Lol! I'm just too lazy to read through and catch up with each character thread, especially the Geno one because of how constantly everyone posts on there.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So I was at work when the Resident Evil Spirits got announced, its odd these are the FIRST third party spirits to get added in a regular update and not tied to a DLC character. Everything so far has been Nintendo 1st party stuff.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
That "corner" is a tropical island that matches the usual settings of Sequin Land, and she's also standing on a wooden bridge not unlike the one she crosses from her lighthouse.

Meanwhile Risky is on a "sunken" pirate ship (or as much as it can be in that strange dimension), guarding another big, bad pirate that is King K. Rool. He is even fought on normal Pirate Ship when most other characters get omegas. They were really commited to the pirate setting there.
And there aren't other characters that would fit there too? I know they made sure the spirits fit when they got confirmed to be included. That could mean they were negotiated earlier on or something. But there aren't any other characters who would fit in those sections? I dont personally know a lot of pirate characters. I'd argue Tetra for pirate but she's a hero not a villain. Maybe just some other DK underling for King K. If Sonic counted as 'easy access' if not first party, then Classic Sonic matches perfectly on that island as a Green Hill Zone reference. Otherwise I'm reminded of the kings from Mario 3.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So as it turns out, dataminers/hackers digged into Ultimate's code and it turns out the game can only handle a 11 more slots in the roster before it crashes.
I briefly heard about that. So that fits the original 16 slots they had in wol then.

Its possible they could patch the game to add more slots, but its safe to assume for now we will only have 10 more characters after fp5. I think that puts us at a total of 90 characters for the game counting echos and mii fighters? Thats pretty nuts and a good number to end.

Though if sakurai was crazy, going to 100 would be an amazing ending. Heck just add some more echos to reach that easier(Medusa, ms pac man, impa, Black Shadow, Shadow, Gouigi, Dixie Kong)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Though if sakurai was crazy, going to 100 would be an amazing ending. Heck just add some more echos to reach that easier(Medusa, ms pac man, impa, Black Shadow, Shadow, Gouigi, Dixie Kong)
Dixie Kong is too unique to be a Echo Fighter. She deserves at least semi-clone status.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I could see her like an chrom level clone but i do agree semi clonenis best. Just was trying to quickly think of as many echos as i could
Here is my Echo list:

:ultyoshi:/Boshi
:ultpalutena:/Medusa
:ultsonic:/Metal Sonic
:ultdk:/Funky Kong
:ultbowser:/Dry Bowser
:ultganondorf:/Demise
:ultjoker:/Kasumi
:ultmegaman:/Proto Man
:ultmetaknight:/Galacta Knight
:ultness:/Ninten
:ultpacman:/Ms. Pac-Man
:ultpikachu:/Raichu
:ultsheik:/Impa
:ultsnake:/Big Boss
:ultzelda:/Hilda
:ultbayonetta:/Jeanne

zferolie

Smash Hero
Here is my Echo list:

:ultyoshi:/Boshi
:ultpalutena:/Medusa
:ultsonic:/Metal Sonic
:ultdk:/Funky Kong
:ultbowser:/Dry Bowser
:ultganondorf:/Demise
:ultjoker:/Kasumi
:ultmegaman:/Proto Man
:ultmetaknight:/Galacta Knight
:ultness:/Ninten
:ultpacman:/Ms. Pac-Man
:ultpikachu:/Raichu
:ultsheik:/Impa
:ultsnake:/Big Boss
:ultzelda:/Hilda
:ultbayonetta:/Jeanne
Some nice choices, but a few of those work well as just alt skins. Still wouldnt mind them as echos.

So with 11 characters near confirmed left, what is your wishlist of those 11?

1. Shantae. The little indie gal that keeps going. Would bring a very fun unique playstyle with her magic, hair whips, and more dancing playstyle with a bonus of transformations.

2. Reimu Hakurei. The top doujin/indie girl from japan. She has a long rangebif games, includingnfighting games, and a large doujin community. She would bring a very unique playstyle with a bullet hell type of gameplay.

3. Geno. The last big fan request that isnt a assist trophy. Been wanted since melee, and i think he will be in maybe even as just the last one as a big finale.

4. Crash. The last of the big 90s mascot rivalry missing in this game. With a new game supposedly coming its his time to shone. Can be not as unique as some of the others but more an ode to classic crash, like Banjo was. The reveal can be a parody of the old smash commercial too.

5. KOS-MOS. I think she would be a great new Xeno rep, and a good Namco rep. She is pretty well known, and can bring a fun mecha style gameplay to smash, and she is one of the faces of Namco.

6. Rex and Pyra. I know they are just a mii costume and spirit now but i really think Sakurao wanted them in if they were just slightly sooner. Plus i think they would a very fun first true tag team character in the game, swapping between rex and pyra like the dlc played.

7. Rythm Girl. Rythm heaven was a fun game, and she would be a very fun character that can pull from all the mini games.

8. Doomslayer. Quite different from my other picks, but i think he really deserves to be in smash, as the grandaddy of all fps. I used to think he needs his violence but he can be made to fit in smash while being more brutal in his motions without being grusome.

9. Dixie Kong. She is one of the last remaining brawl missing character left, and she could be quite fun to play as. Using her hair differently then shantae, and maybe having some animal buddys and her guitar.

10. Paper Mario. Paper mario games were fantastic and paper Mario could be a very unique player. Using his hammer for his main attacks, having allies for his specials or like pac man that he can choose which ally he pulls out.

11. Issac. I loved the golden sun games, and other then Geno he has been one of the most fan requested characters for years. If any assist trophy is getting an upgrade i think he deserves it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Forget the Echoes, I doubt the game can support many of those at this point, even if they are low-effort. Uniques are likely what's coming from this point.

As far as I see it, this potentially gives us 11 more characters before DLC support ends. I am perfectly fine with this! There can at least be one or more first-party added while negotiations for other third-parties get finished up. It's not a 4 situation this time, so you can bet that Sak will try to fill as many of these slots as humanly possible.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
As far as I can figure that's for modding. It's possible that with the source code, Samurai and his team could add as many as the Switch itself could handle.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
And there aren't other characters that would fit there too? I know they made sure the spirits fit when they got confirmed to be included. That could mean they were negotiated earlier on or something. But there aren't any other characters who would fit in those sections? I dont personally know a lot of pirate characters. I'd argue Tetra for pirate but she's a hero not a villain. Maybe just some other DK underling for King K. If Sonic counted as 'easy access' if not first party, then Classic Sonic matches perfectly on that island as a Green Hill Zone reference. Otherwise I'm reminded of the kings from Mario 3.
Can you turn off the rampant speculation for one second and appreciate the significance and thought that went into incorporating those Shantae spirits? Being put last in some list is small potatoes in comparison.

Or are you of the mind that not having any rep at all would give you more peace of mind?

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
And it’s not like Reimu would kill Shantae’s chances. Even if you believe in the one indie rep idea, doujin is kinda different from indie.
While that's likely true, that's not how the Smash fandom is going to erect it. Especially Shantae's detractors and indie detractors in general.

Remember when Shovel Knight was revealed as an AT and they were pushing the idea that that's the best we can hope for, if that?

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
While that's likely true, that's not how the Smash fandom is going to erect it. Especially Shantae's detractors and indie detractors in general.

Remember when Shovel Knight was revealed as an AT and they were pushing the idea that that's the best we can hope for, if that?
Why care about what the fandom thinks? A fandom that likes to gatekeep and move goalposts all the time no less?
Their speculation and petty infighting has no influence on who makes it into the game.

Seriously, is it too much to ask for people to shut up and wait?
Instead of constantly making up arbitrary rules and pointless speculation and attacking people over it, like a predator smelling blood?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I remember.

I’ve never really understood the “one indie rep” thing, tbh, since indies are still videogames all made by different people. It’s not like they’re super special; while one person or a small team making a successful game is impressive, and they get help promoting their games, it’s not like they’re all under one company and so only one can be a fighter (and even that’s not true). We have multiple indie stuff in different parts of Smash already. They could very well choose to make more than one indie character a fighter, and if they don’t, it’s not because of some arbitrary indie rule the fans made up, it’s just because they happened to decide not to include any other indie characters for whatever reason/they didn’t actually think about others as fighters and they did so not because they’re indies, but just ‘cause.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Honestly, Shovel Knight as the "King of Indie" was just a hot topic for a while with his high number of cameo appearences in other titles. (Now Smash Ultimate as AT). So no indie will be a fighter if SK couldn't make it statement still doesn't feel right.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Some nice choices, but a few of those work well as just alt skins. Still wouldnt mind them as echos.

1. Shantae. The little indie gal that keeps going. Would bring a very fun unique playstyle with her magic, hair whips, and more dancing playstyle with a bonus of transformations.

2. Reimu Hakurei. The top doujin/indie girl from japan. She has a long rangebif games, includingnfighting games, and a large doujin community. She would bring a very unique playstyle with a bullet hell type of gameplay.

3. Geno. The last big fan request that isnt a assist trophy. Been wanted since melee, and i think he will be in maybe even as just the last one as a big finale.

4. Crash. The last of the big 90s mascot rivalry missing in this game. With a new game supposedly coming its his time to shone. Can be not as unique as some of the others but more an ode to classic crash, like Banjo was. The reveal can be a parody of the old smash commercial too.

5. KOS-MOS. I think she would be a great new Xeno rep, and a good Namco rep. She is pretty well known, and can bring a fun mecha style gameplay to smash, and she is one of the faces of Namco.

6. Rex and Pyra. I know they are just a mii costume and spirit now but i really think Sakurao wanted them in if they were just slightly sooner. Plus i think they would a very fun first true tag team character in the game, swapping between rex and pyra like the dlc played.

7. Rythm Girl. Rythm heaven was a fun game, and she would be a very fun character that can pull from all the mini games.

8. Doomslayer. Quite different from my other picks, but i think he really deserves to be in smash, as the grandaddy of all fps. I used to think he needs his violence but he can be made to fit in smash while being more brutal in his motions without being grusome.

9. Dixie Kong. She is one of the last remaining brawl missing character left, and she could be quite fun to play as. Using her hair differently then shantae, and maybe having some animal buddys and her guitar.

10. Paper Mario. Paper mario games were fantastic and paper Mario could be a very unique player. Using his hammer for his main attacks, having allies for his specials or like pac man that he can choose which ally he pulls out.

11. Issac. I loved the golden sun games, and other then Geno he has been one of the most fan requested characters for years. If any assist trophy is getting an upgrade i think he deserves it.
I don't have many characters left I'd die to have. Shantae, Phoenix Wright, Paper Mario, maybe Hat Kid for the smug dance, Professor Layton, Dr. Robotnik since he's such an iconic villain, Sora would be nice since I have friends who want him, and Rex and Pyra I guess, though I'd really love it if they could add Nia into the moveset somehow.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What is an indie? A term that's used to make fans feel better about supporting a midtier company? True indies would be those who don't rely on money or other people's help to make their games (e.g. Daisuke Amaya, Cave Story's creator).

Why care about what the fandom thinks? A fandom that likes to gatekeep and move goalposts all the time no less?
Their speculation and petty infighting has no influence on who makes it into the game.

Seriously, is it too much to ask for people to shut up and wait?
Instead of constantly making up arbitrary rules and pointless speculation and attacking people over it, like a predator smelling blood?
Seriously. While bringing up Smash on a Twitch stream, I met a fellow Smash fan with nothing but disdain for the main fandom. It feels like private/small Twitch channels and Sprites Inc are the only places that aren't nuthouses about Smash.

I get the impression that people like me who support more than one character and don't bet all money on one character like it's in a bleeding casino are the actual completely sane fans. When misery loves company to absurd degrees, is it any wonder why I prefer to pass most of the time not posting in here? Doing nothing but talk about Smash and nothing else fits neatly into Albert Einstein's definition of insanity; doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result every time.

So what if the :179: in the general thread get angry about some of the future inclusions, they can eat :198: for all I care. As if they'd attack support threads.

Really though, I just want the Shantae supporters to finally be able to chill about whether she is definitely in or definitely not in. I'm as tired of WF not giving a straight answer about anything as anyone else at this stage.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just keep attention on other things. I still got plenty of stuff with Smash, Pokemon Sword and more in RL. Why think about the subject(s) when it hasn't moved yet past its previous times.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
What is an indie? A term that's used to make fans feel better about supporting a midtier company? True indies would be those who don't rely on money or other people's help to make their games (e.g. Daisuke Amaya, Cave Story's creator).

Seriously. While bringing up Smash on a Twitch stream, I met a fellow Smash fan with nothing but disdain for the main fandom. It feels like private/small Twitch channels and Sprites Inc are the only places that aren't nuthouses about Smash.

I get the impression that people like me who support more than one character and don't bet all money on one character like it's in a bleeding casino are the actual completely sane fans. When misery loves company to absurd degrees, is it any wonder why I prefer to pass most of the time not posting in here? Doing nothing but talk about Smash and nothing else fits neatly into Albert Einstein's definition of insanity; doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result every time.

So what if the :179: in the general thread get angry about some of the future inclusions, they can eat :198: for all I care. As if they'd attack support threads.

Really though, I just want the Shantae supporters to finally be able to chill about whether she is definitely in or definitely not in. I'm as tired of WF not giving a straight answer about anything as anyone else at this stage.
The few charatcers I wanted is few. 1st was a return, the 2nd is finally in, 3rd is a AT. The 4th I want is Shantae. There's a few I wouldn't mind seeing playable, but I'm not going to say no or "God why Sakurai." We'll see where the chips fall.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

Quit complaining.

Kobayashi is annoyed.png

I just ignore most stuff on here from more emotionally charged posters. Don't act like your better than others as more "sane" just because you get annoyed more easily at fellow supporters of certain characters and can't keep it to yourself.

Also the term "indie" has no officially accepted defintion, but most stick to the "comapny that does not belong to a large publishing company, they can have games published by other companies, but they cant really have significant financial support from a vidoe game publisher.

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Can you turn off the rampant speculation for one second and appreciate the significance and thought that went into incorporating those Shantae spirits? Being put last in some list is small potatoes in comparison.

Or are you of the mind that not having any rep at all would give you more peace of mind?
I mean yes? I can. Probably overthinking too much anyway. But I already went through fangirling over all the details we could find with my friend not long after release. I already know how thorough they were, and it's awesome. I just haven't done half the Dark World on my file yet so I just don't have Risky's spot memorized. And no, acknowledgement is awesome. No fighter just means I get to keep reading all the creativity of fan movesets, which are plentiful.

What is an indie?
By definition, not Wayfoward lol. They just barely still count.

I want us to know Fighter 5. Shantae or not. I don't care about their release date, just identity. It's like being at a red light. I don't care if I'm stuck waiting if I see the cross walk sign count down shows the timer triggered. It knows im there, and will eventually change. I don't mind the 10 secs or 30 until then. But currently, we're all annoyed because it hasn't triggered yet. Still.

As for me, Shantae is my most wanted. For too many reasons. Really the only one im actively cheering for since my next biggest was a RE rep that got shut down yesterday. So I guess I have Lara Croft, Amatersu, a second Sonic rep (Shadow>Eggman>others), and Chell as ones I'd still want, with Lara being the most realistic as an iconic, old IP. After them, I find just about everyone to be cool in some way; just have preferences for some over others.

P.Kat

Smash Champion

My 11 are:

1. Amaterasu
2. Shantae
3. Elma
4. Sakura Shinguji (Sakura Wars)
5. Sora
6. Kat (Gravity Rush)
7. KOS-MOS
8. Terra Branford
9. Lara Croft
10. Talim (Soul Calibur)
11. Zeraora

ChadTR

Smash Apprentice
Chiming in on the echo debate, as a Splatoon player, the one echo I really want is the Octoling. It just feels so natural. And there are just so many clothes and skins for the weapons in the original game, that it doesn't even look like it would be so difficult to design. And let's throw a new arena featuring the NILS Statue/inspired by MC.Princess Diaries with it just because (with Pearl and the Princess Cannon!).

Top Bottom