• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dukefire

Smash Master
The things that the fan rule is "supposedly" holding Shantae back are:
1. Indie characters can't be fighter status
2. Outfit problem after Mai not appearing as a cameo.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
I take that back. I see one scenario. Something being passed off as Doom Eternal gameplay, but then shows Nintendo characters and Doomslayer picks up an Invitation either from off of a pedestal or the ground. Huh. Or, Doomslayer fights the Persona demons to confront Joker who stole his invitation?

What if Shantae had a back special like terry?
Could be the SatPC Kick or her swift-dodge. Or some SatSS transformation we don't know about just yet. Kinda depends on her moveset.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I take that back. I see one scenario. Something being passed off as Doom Eternal gameplay, but then shows Nintendo characters and Doomslayer picks up an Invitation either from off of a pedestal or the ground. Huh. Or, Doomslayer fights the Persona demons to confront Joker who stole his invitation?

Could be the SatPC Kick or her swift-dodge. Or some SatSS transformation we don't know about just yet. Kinda depends on her moveset.
Imagine Shantae's reaveal playing with the fact Mai isnt in and her sihouette looks like Mai briefly. they both have nice figures and ponytails.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Imagine Shantae's reaveal playing with the fact Mai isnt in and her sihouette looks like Mai briefly. they both have nice figures and ponytails.
1520212193856.jpg

And with that, I'm going to grab pizza, smoke hookah, try to learn some in-depth Terry stuff, and do everything I can to distract myself from those kinds of temptations combined with Shantae not yet being in.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
So here's an excerpt of an interview that Sakurai did that states just how bs the Japanese ratings board can be.
IMG_20191106_213347.png

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I just decided to do a little bit of digging to try and find Smash's CERO rating compared to Shantae's and it seems Smash is basically rated E by comparison and Shantae is rated E10+. If her normal cartoonish look in her games can get her something like that, then she should probably be fine making the transition to 3D. Worst case scenario they give her the Pirate's Curse vest or something.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
If Milk man leaker is still active, that would be insane for this Shantae theorizing on our parts.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, that would explain everything but the "vaguely Japanese clothing." Looking at the Spirit, I really think that this leaker saw Nakoruru and thought that she was the fighter.
Have you looked at those armour sets, or are you saying they're actually too explicitly Japanese?

What if Shantae had a back special like terry?
Why doesn't everyone have a back special just so we can cram an extra move in our dream movesets?

It works for Terry because the fighter input of Crack Shoot works that way and his 1v1 auto-facing makes it easier to manage. Not so much for the rest who don't have that mechanic or enough specials to fit. Otherwise we would have seen this much earlier, like when they decided to add side specials in Melee.

Last edited:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Have you looked at those armour sets, or are you saying they're actually too explicitly Japanese?
They take inspiration from the Japanese armor styles, but not enough to where I'd describe it as "somewhat Japanese," not over "fantasy" or "bestial." Now I didn't consider that it could be Smashified armor, so I'll give you that one.

D

Deleted member

Hey everyone sorry about What I said earlier after that presentation I’ve gotten over that now so since Sakurai said that statement, shantae would likley have a chance getting in post pass. As for the mai situation they could just tone down her chest and give her a vest like this
Artist: hanxulz (devianart)
68D4190F-ACBC-4C55-991A-848108CDABCF.jpeg

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone sorry about What I said earlier after that presentation I’ve gotten over that now so since Sakurai said that statement, shantae would likley have a chance getting in post pass. As for the mai situation they could just tone down her chest and give her a vest like this
Artist: hanxulz (devianart)
Yeah, if Blue Mary can make it (albeit background), Shantae shouldn't have any issue.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Nothing wrong with Shantae's outfit since its how the Arabian female belly dancers are dressed. Though, any small adjustments is ok as long the original design isn't affected too much.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I don't think we need to worry about the "good little boys and girls" comment. Shantae may show some skin, but like I said she soesn't show much more than ZSS's two piece alt.

No, Mia was left out for her idle animations... You know the ones...

Dukefire

Smash Master
Still, that line is what the fans will use to counter Shantae along with "No Indie as Fighter and Spirit Deconfirms" fan rules.

So for now, lets wait on the Seven Sirens of when its coming once WF is ready.
D2io5uLX0AA-zF9.jpg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As far as I see, the point where it's "too much" is when the skin shown on the legs goes too far up the thighs (except if the character isn't known for strutting their stuff while fighting, of course, seeing as Chun-Li and Cammy spirits aren't affected), so in Mai's case her butt is also exposed. The only alteration I could expect is stretching out the "thong" part of Shantae's bedlah pants a little, alongside keeping the pants opaque enough, otherwise we're good.

Man, you would never bring this sort of stuff up on the Ultimate social without offending people there, heh.

That being said, here is fan art that neatly sums up the current fan arguments and expectations for DLC.

Why doesn't everyone have a back special just so we can cram an extra move in our dream movesets?

It works for Terry because the fighter input of Crack Shoot works that way and his 1v1 auto-facing makes it easier to manage. Not so much for the rest who don't have that mechanic or enough specials to fit. Otherwise we would have seen this much earlier, like when they decided to add side specials in Melee.
Also, most people that aren't Sakurai tend to think inside the box.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I still don't know why Sakurai has to worry about CERO when the item in question is DLC which requires an adult to pay for anyway. The base game sure but the DLC is stuff only adults purchase.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I still don't know why Sakurai has to worry about CERO when the item in question is DLC which requires an adult to pay for anyway. The base game sure but the DLC is stuff only adults purchase.
Smash is seen as a family-friendly property anyways, especially since most of the stuff in it has a cartoony filter. Also, the family-friendly image that most fans insist that Nintendo has to maintain.

Heck, it doesn't even get T ratings anymore since the Brawl days.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Also, most people that aren't Sakurai tend to think inside the box.
And what's that supposed to mean?

It's just a slippery slope if you start adding back specials to every character right now that aren't in Terry's situation of having a set of well-defined moves, as opposed to just having a lot of potential ones.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Smash is seen as a family-friendly property anyways, especially since most of the stuff in it has a cartoony filter. Also, the family-friendly image that most fans insist that Nintendo has to maintain.

Heck, it doesn't even get T ratings anymore since the Brawl days.
If Smash was "family-friendly" then characters like Snake and Bayonetta would not even be allowed to join in the first place.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, CERO's idea of "appropriate content" differs vastly from ours, so to them adults don't really seem to matter, I guess, just the children. :drshrug:

Things have changed a lot in regards to their standards over the years. We might think it's not inappropriate, but we can't do anything against what's basically ResetERA with (even) higher-up positions.

Last edited:

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
https://twitter.com/JamesPopStar/status/1192262821653778432

This tweet by James Montagna Is giving me some MAJOR conspiracy energy.

Interesting how one of the lead designers for our girl is bringing to light smash's way of deciding how censorship will go down. Isn't one of the only arguments against Shantae's inclusion just "too smexy for smash"?

Has any new evidence for Shantae come out since I've been gone?

I'M FREAKING OUT HERE!

Seriously tho, if someone could point me to any kind of collection of Shantae for Smash evidence that'd be great. I'm making a video about it.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

Interesting how one of the lead designers for our girl is bringing to light smash's way of deciding how censorship will go down. Isn't one of the only arguments against Shantae's inclusion just "too smexy for smash"?

I'M FREAKING OUT HERE!
I kinda got the same vibe when I first saw that, but keep in mind Wayforward has had to deal with CERO as well when they were localizing a few games. James could honestly just be sympathizing with the kind of stuff Sakurai had to go through since he knows how much of a handful CERO can be.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
The reason for the higher rating is due to Giga Mermaid and I bet the first Siren will also warrant a "T" rating for Shantae And The Seven Sirens. The rating was never about Shantae herself.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Yeah, it was up until Pirate's Curse that it was E 10+

Plus, not Shantae fault for other titles getting the T rating.
HGH: the Giga Mermaid
Seven Sirens: ??? due to no release window yet. Bet the Water Lily Siren may tip it, but she isn't like the giga mermaid situation.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Yeah, it was up until Pirate's Curse that it was E 10+
Yeah like I said it was about the Giga Mermaid character and not Shantae herself. Heck even in PIrate's Curse they had that one outfit that 4 characters used and it still didn't warrant a T rating.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Yeah like I said it was about the Giga Mermaid character and not Shantae herself. Heck even in PIrate's Curse they had that one outfit that 4 characters used and it still didn't warrant a T rating.
Which was the Space Princess outfit. That does remind me of Leia from Star Wars V.

Though, mystery still brewing for Seven Sirens rating since its not ready yet.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah pretty sure its the other characters not shantae pushing cero up. Like has been said her outfit hasnt changed much, and she has barely any jiggle. Giga mermaid was just massive.

As for james' statement, i dont think its teasing shantae but more how he agrees with sakurai. I really dont think shantae will have any issue as her and risky boots have unaltered spirits. Other spirits got censored like mythra but shantae didnt. That most mean because she is more cartooney its better i think?

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Any way we can relax to the fact that Shantae's character and design is suited for Everyone. The only I am wanting to know is when the heck is Seven Sirens coming out. They promised "2019" release but we are literally less than two months away for 2019 to end.

What are all your thoughts on this matter?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Any way we can relax to the fact that Shantae's character and design is suited for Everyone. The only I am wanting to know is when the heck is Seven Sirens coming out. They promised "2019" release but we are literally less than two months away for 2019 to end.

What are all your thoughts on this matter?
It may be for next year. Just keep a open mind since 2019 isn't finished yet.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Speaking of Giga Mermaid, does anyone see an out from Shantae's predicament at the end of Part 1 that doesn't involve a rescue from her and/or her subjects?

It would be almost exactly how Dragon Quest XI's second act starts.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Speaking of Giga Mermaid, does anyone see an out from Shantae's predicament at the end of Part 1 that doesn't involve a rescue from her and/or her subjects?

I could say a old friend can rescue her once the machine breaks. Though, she doesn't have a transformation that can help her breathe and swim underwater yet at the end of part 1.

For the monster, I can guess its a octopus siren since it was crushing the machine with its grip

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman

Time to go Full Spoilers:

I mean, there are lots of ways. She could turn into a mermaid, Giga Mermaid and her mermaids rescue her, underwater centipede gal that we keep seeing in windows during Part 1 rescues her, Shantae drifts ashore or gets pulled up by the Metal Fish's cable and Fillin/Rottytops temporarily makes her a zombie, it's one of Risky's critters, or Risky straight up rescues her citing that Shantae is useful for doing the hard work of making it through the dungeons.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, let me get this straight...

Having giantesses is the point where the ERSB sees it as "too much" for an E10+ rating, right? Kinda funny how they think a mild kink like that is offensive by Shantae standards, although certainly difficult to ignore.

I'M FREAKING OUT HERE!

Seriously tho, if someone could point me to any kind of collection of Shantae for Smash evidence that'd be great. I'm making a video about it.
As it should for the guy. I mean, as I've already mentioned, his bosses basically fought against execs' decisions in order to create the character they wanted in the first place, and their overall design philosophy pretty much flies in the face of Western standards. They're almost like the US equivalent of Rare in that sense. It's not just Sakurai that'll need to do arm-twisting in this case, but the Bozons as well. And since Shantae AND Risky are in as unaltered spirits...they might pull it off. They just need to continue dancing around NDA breaking until then.

That said, no, nothing else new happened so far as of yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom