• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I'm starting to feel conflict within me. I know that Shantae's been classified as an Indie character, but with regards to Seven Sirens and having Apple help them via allowing them to publish Seven Sirens as an Apple Arcade launch title, could she even still be an Indie character? I'm just so confused about how far the label can go before it just wears off like some old, disgusting sticker that just peels off a table.
Don't try to let it get to your head completely. Do that and disappointment is going to hit harder. Best to not worry too much and wait it out. Not easy of course, but just keep the mind occupied.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm starting to feel conflict within me. I know that Shantae's been classified as an Indie character, but with regards to Seven Sirens and having Apple help them via allowing them to publish Seven Sirens as an Apple Arcade launch title, could she even still be an Indie character? I'm just so confused about how far the label can go before it just wears off like some old, disgusting sticker that just peels off a table.
Unless Apple is going into game development and (partially) hires Wayforward as a second-party developer, no this means nothing.

But you do realise this is basically asking Wayforward to stifle themselves from potential avenues of growth just to maintain some label? Also carries the nasty implication that being an indie is literally all that is noteworthy about Shantae. If some large company wanted to even partially acquire Wayforward for game development, then that's a sign their games are particularly noteworthy. Whether they're used wisely is another matter entirely.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
that Sabi PapaGenos Scott poll's result have Shantae 5th overall for most wanted, 11 least wanted, and the 9th seen as most likely.

all this and remember a ton of people are under the conclusion of "spirits deconfirm"

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
The final results still need a bit of hand counting. Checking for typos, duplicate names (e.g. Doom Guy/Marine/Slayer) and botted votes and so on.

Still, things are looking pretty good.

Last edited:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I can't help but think that WF wanted Part 1 out there ASAP so that people wouldn't be confused when they saw her moveset or the Final Smash. It's just not like them (or many devs, really!) to release games in free chunks like this.

Dukefire

Smash Master
With what has been happening, we can't see WF's moves on their plans. Best to wait since questioning more can make the void bigger......
Screenshot_20190728-175735_YouTube.jpg

Superiorstar

Smash Cadet
Ask yourself what kind of gameplay you want out of her first. Straightforward with minimal gimmicks? Full transformations (though I don't think this is a good idea, they're too specialized and even Seven Sirens is moving away from them)? Or a middle ground where you can dance to change certain moves by transforming? Then you can determine what aspects of Shantae you want represented, like how much of the Pirate Gear you want used: none at all, or all of it? Me personally, I again prefer a middle ground option where I take the ones that give unique functions like the scimitar and cannon, but leave out the pistol because fireballs do pretty much the same thing.

Above all though, don't feel the need to cram a reference down every move. Basic kicks and like work just fine as aerial moves.
sorry for the late reply, but I was imagining she'd be more of a zoning-type long ranged character. a lot more spacing-based while having aggressive options. like options strong enough that you'd wanna stand clear/away from them, but then she's also light and can be killed pretty easily.
I'm thinking at least two projectiles in her kit while the down B is like a burst option of transformation dances, not exactly like hero though, cause I think they'd be in a set roulette. put a strong recovery on top of that and she'd sound perfect for me at least.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
sorry for the late reply, but I was imagining she'd be more of a zoning-type long ranged character. a lot more spacing-based while having aggressive options. like options strong enough that you'd wanna stand clear/away from them, but then she's also light and can be killed pretty easily.
I'm thinking at least two projectiles in her kit while the down B is like a burst option of transformation dances, not exactly like hero though, cause I think they'd be in a set roulette. put a strong recovery on top of that and she'd sound perfect for me at least.
You realize you're basically describing what we call an "all-rounder" when you've got three archetypes in one character that you don't fully settle on?

Don't see the need for revolving transformation menus when there is only four recurring main ones since the beginning: Monkey, Elephant, Spider and Harpy. Anything else can just come automatically as the need arises.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
I like the idea of Down+B and transforming as it's the most representative of the series as a whole, but too complicated on a DLC budget and for future-proofing for ports. It also doesn't lend itself to FFA's. Items would be kind of cool, but plays too much like the zoners we already have and doesn't play up what's unique about Shantae.

So I like the idea of Shantae being hit-and-run using the Fusion Medals. Example: Side B does the Newt Dash, knocks the opponent up and a little to the side in the air, and can be confirm followed up with a Short Hop Back Air at low percentages. This doesn't track with how she handles bosses or even large enemies in the series (they don't budge), but knockback is just unavoidable in Smash. At least this way, it represents her general combat approach.

Superiorstar

Smash Cadet
You realize you're basically describing what we call an "all-rounder" when you've got three archetypes in one character that you don't fully settle on?

Don't see the need for revolving transformation menus when there is only four recurring main ones since the beginning: Monkey, Elephant, Spider and Harpy. Anything else can just come automatically as the need arises.
when you put it like that, it does sound pretty all around-esque lol maybe I need to rethink her a bit. as for down b, I was imagining that it's usually an animal transformation coming out for one fast move, similar to her boss battle in HGH. though I think a few of them could be a timed state. but just a few transformations in the roulette.
I do kind of like how hero has multiple moves in down b. but it'd be easier to imagine if shantae had something similar to both hero down b but also shulk neutral b? with the icons and directional pointing and such.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Hey guys, this has been posted in this thread before, but I just wanted to report that there have been an incredibly large amounts of Spyro votes flooding in from completely empty accounts in the last hours before the tournament ends. This is similar to a trend in previous videos from this guy, in which any match that had Spyro involved in it ended up with enormous amounts of empty accounts voting for Spyro at the last second.

So, if anyone wants to even things out, feel free to, but you need to hurry! We need to teach this deranged lunatic a lesson for trying to rig the vote against Shantae!

Last edited:

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
Eh, at the end of the day it's a video series run by a fan who has no control of the actual Smash roster. If people wanna cheat their way through an arbitrary fan tourney that's their problem. Besides, Shantae made it to the finals regardless, so that's still something positive to take away from it, if that matters.

Though on the flip side, I'd rather admire this result from that massive poll that was being conducted. 5th place ain't bad considering the competition. :)

Apologies if that was posted already, btw

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I like the idea of Down+B and transforming as it's the most representative of the series as a whole, but too complicated on a DLC budget and for future-proofing for ports. It also doesn't lend itself to FFA's. Items would be kind of cool, but plays too much like the zoners we already have and doesn't play up what's unique about Shantae.

So I like the idea of Shantae being hit-and-run using the Fusion Medals. Example: Side B does the Newt Dash, knocks the opponent up and a little to the side in the air, and can be confirm followed up with a Short Hop Back Air at low percentages. This doesn't track with how she handles bosses or even large enemies in the series (they don't budge), but knockback is just unavoidable in Smash. At least this way, it represents her general combat approach.
While I disagree with transformations being too complex (DLC characters do tend to be this), I still think just importing them as they are is a poor idea because Pokemon Trainer already does it in a more nuanced way. We also know too little about the new game to really speculate on that, but I have an idea to marry new and old coming in a sec...

when you put it like that, it does sound pretty all around-esque lol maybe I need to rethink her a bit. as for down b, I was imagining that it's usually an animal transformation coming out for one fast move, similar to her boss battle in HGH. though I think a few of them could be a timed state. but just a few transformations in the roulette.
I do kind of like how hero has multiple moves in down b. but it'd be easier to imagine if shantae had something similar to both hero down b but also shulk neutral b? with the icons and directional pointing and such.
How many forms are you seriously considering that they require such menus? Most of the ones introduced in Half-Genie Hero are obscure and have little utility in a fight anyway. We don't need a second Hero.

If we make it so dancing alters certain normal moves and actions to instantaneously transform, we can have the best of worlds: dancing and fluid gameplay.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Lemme put it directly:

I want Shantae in future Smash games after she shows up the first time.
If being 5 expensive-to-update full characters in 1 diminishes her chances, then I'd prefer the instant transformation approach (which is as simple as Super Armor when hit or being knocked out of transformation when hit).

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Lads, lads. We aren't gods. At the end of the day, it's all up to Sakurai to determine whether Shantae can be as complex, or as faithful, or as simple as possible.

Not gonna post here much otherwise, speculation right now until November onwards is boring and I'm busy with a certain game.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Hey guys, this has been posted in this thread before, but I just wanted to report that there have been an incredibly large amounts of Spyro votes flooding in from completely empty accounts in the last hours before the tournament ends. This is similar to a trend in previous videos from this guy, in which any match that had Spyro involved in it ended up with enormous amounts of empty accounts voting for Spyro at the last second.

So, if anyone wants to even things out, feel free to, but you need to hurry! We need to teach this deranged lunatic a lesson for trying to rig the vote against Shantae!
How can you tell, I go to it and I dont see anything of that info? Did you go somewhere different?

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Honestly, let's be happy about the PapaWoz Poll, because Shantae leaving her mark on their Top 5 is pretty significant, even in the face of two+ SquareEnix characters, a dark horse Camelot character, and a Microsoft character. I still do believe that the Assist thing may be in effect, though we'll see if that rule still holds water. Compared to the Slackers Gaming poll, it's pretty bright.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
When sorting comments by new, there are around 50 votes for Spyro in a row, all posted within the last few hours, all from completely empty profiles when you click on them.
Slackerz is an idiot if he doesn't notice/act on this.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Slackerz is an idiot if he doesn't notice/act on this.
Don't get your hopes up that he'll do the right thing. He never cares how obvious it is, he just always counts fake votes no matter what, as long as they have different usernames.

He allowed Spyro to beat Crash Bandicoot no matter how obvious the sockpuppet accounts were in that situation was as well.

Last edited:

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Let it happen. Gives more credibility to the larger polls and shows the clear biases between different polling userbases (e.g. GameFAQs' notorious Square-Enix bend).

Dukefire

Smash Master
With the days getting closer to Terry, the Final Challenger and additional DLC down the line (Possibly revealed at the VGA). Its best to keep polls, arguements and bring up discussion sites to a minimal.

I'm at a point where I stay neutral.
Screenshot_20191007-133928_Video Player.jpg

Apologizes, just wanted to get it out of my system.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
With the days getting closer to Terry, the Final Challenger and additional DLC down the line (Possibly revealed at the VGA). Its best to keep polls, arguements and bring up discussion sites to a minimal.

I'm at a point where I stay neutral.

Apologizes, just wanted to get it out of my system.
In all fairness, Duke, you're right. Though I suppose our fires are starting to burn with higher intensities, and with the dead space that was primarily just speculative scenes with Directs and the then-unknown Shantae 5, its burn has never been so intense, rivaling that of the pre-November Direct fires.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Can't help it. Life has been pretty awful lately and I'm playing a Mii Brawler nonstop just waiting for her. But, yeah, probably best to calm it down somehow in case she's later on.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Can't help it. Life has been pretty awful lately and I'm playing a Mii Brawler nonstop just waiting for her. But, yeah, probably best to calm it down somehow in case she's later on.
I fully expect a Shantae reveal to be next year if she's in. Honestly, idc who FP #5 is from a speculation standpoint since it'll most likely be a character I'm uninterested in or maybe will be a neat surprise; in either case, me trying to guess isn't really worth it. The DLC post-pass is the stuff I'm more interested in learning about, and that is a ways off. So for now I'm mostly chilling.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I fully expect a Shantae reveal to be next year if she's in. Honestly, idc who FP #5 is from a speculation standpoint since it'll most likely be a character I'm uninterested in or maybe will be a neat surprise; in either case, me trying to guess isn't really worth it. The DLC post-pass is the stuff I'm more interested in learning about, and that is a ways off. So for now I'm mostly chilling.
I'm in the acceptance of Shantae being the 6th or 7th fighter myself so I'm hoping either Geno/Rayman so the spirit debating can stop or Doomguy.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I'm in the acceptance of Shantae being the 6th or 7th fighter myself so I'm hoping either Geno/Rayman so the spirit debating can stop or Doomguy.
F that!

I want Shantae to be fifth so the title of "Destroyer of Spirits Deconfirm" can be held by the Half Genie.

D

Deleted member

F that!

I want Shantae to be fifth so the title of "Destroyer of Spirits Deconfirm" can be held by the Half Genie.
I mean she is the half Genie hero and Genies grant wishes, Breaking the "Sprits disconfirm" fan theory would open up the possibility of so many people's wishes coming true so in a sense that would be ironic and fun to see just to be a play off of her title.

Anyways I accidentally stumbled into the thread but consider me a supporter! Shantae would be a great character and have a very interesting moveset and I would love to see her playable so some friends of mine could get their wants in. I'll be rooting for you all to get your wish!

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
I mean she is the half Genie hero and Genies grant wishes, Breaking the "Sprits disconfirm" fan theory would open up the possibility of so many people's wishes coming true so in a sense that would be ironic and fun to see just to be a play off of her title.

Anyways I accidentally stumbled into the thread but consider me a supporter! Shantae would be a great character and have a very interesting moveset and I would love to see her playable so some friends of mine could get their wants in. I'll be rooting for you all to get your wish!
I'm sorry, but I find it fairly funny your avatar is the Grinch Leak. But yeah, welcome to the Shantae club! We got potatoes!

D

Deleted member

I'm sorry, but I find it fairly funny your avatar is the Grinch Leak. But yeah, welcome to the Shantae club! We got potatoes!
Yeah I had a different avatar before but I changed it due to it being Spooktober and I just joked around how the Grinch Leak was spooky then badda bing badda boom here we are.

Also thanks! I've played some of the Shantae games on the Switch and they're really good so I should definitely try and play more of the series when I get a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
F that!

Sorry. Just trying to figure what can work as damage control if she didn't get announced next month, thinking if we can at least get some spirit announced it would still shift in our favor.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
F that!

Why does she have to be number 5 for this to happen?

Anyway, reviews for Indivisible are in. Looks to be a real charmer with it's characters, but maybe it's a good thing the Switch version is coming later as it could give the devs some time to polish the rougher aspects of the game (mainly the enemies not scaling well mid-to-late game).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Why does she have to be number 5 for this to happen?

Anyway, reviews for Indivisible are in. Looks to be a real charmer with it's characters, but maybe it's a good thing the Switch version is coming later as it could give the devs some time to polish the rougher aspects of the game (mainly the enemies not scaling well mid-to-late game).
Sorry. Just trying to figure what can work as damage control if she didn't get announced next month, thinking if we can at least get some spirit announced it would still shift in our favor.
Some of us here are beyond tired of the fan rule and want it to happen as soon as possible, so that speculation can get less stifling.

Believe me, I also want to not be stuck on the mindset of "only characters that have never been in the game in some form before can get in", but it'll probably take ages before it happens (if it does), so there isn't much that can be done in the meantime and there currently isn't a set limit for how many characters will get in. And moving the goalpost to "surely she'll be 6th/7th/8th/9th/etc" won't help, let's not repeat the Geno fanbase's mistakes.

If people on YT or Gamefaqs make a fuss over her not getting in yet, just let them be. Nothing's affected for now, so let's just chill and wait.

If she gets in, it would have to be when we least expect it.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Eh, at the end of the day it's a video series run by a fan who has no control of the actual Smash roster. If people wanna cheat their way through an arbitrary fan tourney that's their problem. Besides, Shantae made it to the finals regardless, so that's still something positive to take away from it, if that matters.

Though on the flip side, I'd rather admire this result from that massive poll that was being conducted. 5th place ain't bad considering the competition. :)

Apologies if that was posted already, btw
And honestly, all the characters above her all have something working against them. Geno and Steve are from companies that have already been represented in the fighters pass, Isaac is an assist and Sora not only is from Square who have gotten a DLC fighter, but also has all that Disney mess to deal with.

KingBowser86

Smash Journeyman
Still, Geno would make a great amiibo and Super Mario RPG itself deserves more attention. Like, a non-Paper sequel, for one. Besides, with "SMRPG Smash remix" music tracks on YouTube taken down at the same time as "Smash Megalovania remixes," Geno's inclusion seems almost certain.

Funny -- both our half-genie hero and Geno are in the wish-fulfilling business...

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Honestly, Shantae and Geno are at a similar point on the roadblock. Both are spirits and have an online icon.

They too are heavily requested with one still going on the game series while the other has not seen light regarding cameos.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly, Shantae and Geno are at a similar point on the roadblock. Both are spirits and have an online icon.

They too are heavily requested with one still going on the game series while the other has not seen light regarding cameos.
To be fair bwd has a player icon but I don’t believe it hurts their chances

Superiorstar

Smash Cadet
I'd be completely okay if she was the LAST character to join the roster, that's how much I want her in lol
speaking of want, I might have to ask for Seven Sirens on christmas if it's this year, what about all of you?

Superiorstar

Smash Cadet
I'd be completely okay if she was the LAST character to join the roster, that's how much I want her in lol
speaking of want, I might have to ask for Seven Sirens on christmas if it's this year, what about all of you?

Top Bottom